This makes me feel sick.

Eustacia_Vye
User is offlineOffline
This makes me feel sick.

http://www.silverringthing.com/

http://www.glamour.com/news/articles/2007/01/purityballs07feb

This is utterly ridiculous.  A Christian funded scheme to get girls as young as 9 to promise to their fathers to wait until their wedding day to lose their virginity.  Wrong in SO MANY different ways.

E.V

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course, we all know how

Of course, we all know how valid a promise made by a 9 year old will be when the child is 16 and in the throes of passion in the back seat.  Smiling

Here is another thread citing a news article about a girl who was breaking the school uniform rules at school by insisting on wearing her chastity ring.  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
By the way, I see that

By the way, I see that you've been a member for a bit.

A belated welcome!

When you get a chance, we'd love it if you'd hop over to General Conversation, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've already said that I

I've already said that I love the idea.  It allows predation of these girls on a large scale.  Their fathers could only put a bullseye on them to help us find them more easily.  Now I am not forced to be an Aqualung.  I can wait for the one's with the rings, know they are innocent, and show them rationality in its purest form.  That is more gratifying than anything base that you might have been thinking hereto now.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
And how is this verified? 

And how is this verified?  Does the father get to personally check the hymen every year up until the wedding night?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a link to a

Here is a link to a christian video that explains Purity Balls. Make sure you pay attention around the 2 minute mark and hear about the 17 year old girl sitting on her daddy's lap. I threw up a little in my mouth.  Also notice the little pink box the girl is giving to her father.  Way too Fruedian.  

As the father of a girl I can only say eewwwww and shudder at this video.  I don't think I ever want to know the status of my daughter's virginity. 

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Eustacia_Vye
User is offlineOffline
Nero, you have a very good

Nero, you have a very good point, thats brilliant Smiling

Shame that only females wear the rings, double standards or what?  Plus, it means I can't be a sexual predator. Sad lol.

E.V

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
IzzyPop wrote: Here is a

IzzyPop wrote:

Here is a link to a christian video that explains Purity Balls. Make sure you pay attention around the 2 minute mark and hear about the 17 year old girl sitting on her daddy's lap. I threw up a little in my mouth.  Also notice the little pink box the girl is giving to her father.  Way too Fruedian.  

As the father of a girl I can only say eewwwww and shudder at this video.  I don't think I ever want to know the status of my daughter's virginity. 

That is fucking creepy....I dont care how you look at it.  They even say a girl only looks for BFs when they are not getting a fathers love...Ummm I think they should be two totally different types of love and one does not take the place of another. 

Using that logic does that mean when they daughter eventually gets married it was because her father started to love her less?  It is hard to take anything a group says seriously when there is so many assinine (I want to use that word but dont know the spelling) statements like that.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poor kids, they're going to

Poor kids, they're going to get sheltered all their lives and when they get a chance to have some freedom, they'll go overboard and screw things up really bad because they didn't have the freedom when they were younger.

Wonder what they'll do when they're first marriage goes sour? Get a redo ring?  

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jarem Asyder wrote: Poor

Jarem Asyder wrote:

Poor kids, they're going to get sheltered all their lives and when they get a chance to have some freedom, they'll go overboard and screw things up really bad because they didn't have the freedom when they were younger.

Wonder what they'll do when they're first marriage goes sour? Get a redo ring?  

That is why it says in the bible save anal for your 2nd husband

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I've already

Nero wrote:
I've already said that I love the idea. It allows predation of these girls on a large scale. Their fathers could only put a bullseye on them to help us find them more easily. Now I am not forced to be an Aqualung. I can wait for the one's with the rings, know they are innocent, and show them rationality in its purest form. That is more gratifying than anything base that you might have been thinking hereto now.

I hope you remember that before you show a girl your "pure rationality;" she has to be over 18. 

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: I hope you

Christos wrote:

I hope you remember that before you show a girl your "pure rationality;" she has to be over 18.

Depnds on the state.  16 here.  *dirty old man leer* 

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: Nero

Christos wrote:

Nero wrote:
I've already said that I love the idea. It allows predation of these girls on a large scale. Their fathers could only put a bullseye on them to help us find them more easily. Now I am not forced to be an Aqualung. I can wait for the one's with the rings, know they are innocent, and show them rationality in its purest form. That is more gratifying than anything base that you might have been thinking hereto now.

Oh, you base little monkey, you took the thought precisely where I tried to keep you from going.  Leave a theist to start thinking of female minors as sex objects, rather than intelligent individuals for whom logic might prove some relief from their puritanical existences.

Christos, we have crossed pathes before, and I was unsettled by some of the turns your thoughts took.  Now, we discuss children, and you have contrived to consider it sexual.  I shudder to think of how you keep your mother's corpse in your attic and dress like her on a nightly basis.

On the other hand, I could be misinterpretting your words.  You could have intended that female minors should not be exposed to logical thought.  This seems as villanous as the other assertion though.

So, which of these two untasteful conclusions is it?  Are you thinking of female minors as sexual objects, or do you think that female minors should not be exposed to logic?

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was actually implying that

I was actually implying that you were thinking of young women as sexual objects. Sorry if I misinterpreted your compassionate nature

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

GodHacks
Theist
User is offlineOffline
But technically you can ***

But technically you can *** ** * *** *** **** and still be a virgin (yes quoting a distasteful offensive southpark christmas song)

I think the problem about this is that this makes a female's decision of her own body a family's affair. Something that smells really prehistoric to me, eerieness.

This is on top of the fact that a 6 year old should not even be thinking about having sex, and would not have the capacity yet to determine her views on sexual activeness in her not-so-near future, simply on the grounds that she does not yet have the knowledge and mental capacity do deal with that problem.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: I was

Christos wrote:
I was actually implying that you were thinking of young women as sexual objects. Sorry if I misinterpreted your compassionate nature

Not only am I compassionate, but I am considerate too. I always let the woman finish first....