Precept 13 is self-refuting

dc
User is offlineOffline
Precept 13 is self-refuting

13. The claim that mystical experiences can give us knowledge.

This is self-refuting.

To differentiate between what a mystical experience is and a non-mystical experience presupposes there is a difference that can be measured, detected, reported or whatever. The mere fact that people are reporting that they have, or had experiences that are considered qualitatively different from others is a piece of knowledge.

When Rook claims that the statement 'mystical experience gives us knowledge' is false, and irrational he's basing this of his knowledge of claims by those who have had experiences that they consider mystical - in short Rook's claim presupposes that there has been knowledge gained by these kinds of experiences.

You're welcome guys, hope to see the list shortened to 12!

[mod edit: Rook didn't write this precept.]

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A simple modification to put

A simple modification to put the word "useful" between "us" and "knowledge" would suffice.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

dc
User is offlineOffline
I guess, but these

I guess, but these experiences do give us useful knowledge on the mind and possibly the origin of religious thought.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
dc wrote: I guess, but

dc wrote:

I guess, but these experiences do give us useful knowledge on the mind and possibly the origin of religious thought.

I agree with this, but the precept is about gainging knowledge about the universe , not about the mind. such as i have a a mystical experience where i see muhammand and he tells me that gravity is caused by gravity orbs. Should this be accepted as knowledge? Should everyone except this as truth because i saw it in a "mystical experience? 

GodHacks
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well, but its "useful

Well, but its "useful knowledge" on several level.

3) Your own mind, you have been thinking about the idea of religion quite a bit lately.

2) There is a new idea/theory you can work on. Though in the case of gravity orbs it can quickly be proved wrong(or right depending on definition of gravity orbs)

1) Whatever you are smoking, that is some cool shiit, though probably laced.

There might be a Slim chance that things does spark your brain to develop an interesting theory "apple falling on your head" style so to speak. but we all know about how probability works.