Alien Gods?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Alien Gods?

I've seen this irrational concept quite a few times - that many of the gods people believe in or had believed in were real, but were aliens with advanced technology rather than "gods." It's a neat story, but there's no actual evidence for it...

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's possible that aliens

It's possible that aliens exist, though.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's true. Much more

That's true. Much more likely than gods existing anyway!

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think that ever

I don't think that ever happened, but it would be easy to set in place.  I am a god to a two dimensional creature.  Having the ability to manipulate a third dimension would be astonishing to a creature that only had theories about a possible third dimension.

There are all sorts of movies with this concept (Stargate, Av.P, Passion of the Christ...).

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Big Willem
User is offlineOffline
Aliens might exist, its a

Aliens might exist, its a big universe. If life can begin on earth and evolve, why not somewhere else? But we haven't seen any evidence that Aliens visited earth.

I think people believe stuff like that when there is not a lot of knowledge about a certain part of history. Writers like Erich von Danicken use the gaps in known history, to insert aliens. A sort Aliens of the gaps. We don't know how or why that was build, it must be aliens. And you can apply it to anything. We don't know exactly how the pyramids were build? Aliens. Why are there figures on the ground you can only see from the sky? Aliens! Statues an Easter island? Aliens! They (aliens) apparently needed the pyramids as an landing platform for there spaceships and the lines in south America as landing strips. Why aliens that travel the stars!!! need al that I don't know. But there is no proof. Nothing. Just a speculation for which no evidence is offered.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That's

MattShizzle wrote:

Indeed. Smiling 

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Indeed. Smiling

Of course, there is scientology... 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: American

xamination wrote:
American Atheist wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Indeed. Smiling

Of course, there is scientology... 

I know.

Vorax
Vorax's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is an alien god, or

There is an alien god, or at least a rep from space...

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
This reminds me of the

This reminds me of the person I talked to the other day who believes humanity is basically derived from some aliens genetic experamentation and that is how we came to be, and espically came to be here. Stonehenge, of course, is where their ship landed, but they didn't build it right so that is why it's broken, but there is another one in England which is the same thing, but correctly built that DIDN'T break so that is where they returned to visit us and see how we have evolved.

Uh huh.

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
article

this article isn't exactly about "alien gods", but it's pretty cool in my opinion. I think Richard Dawkins is brilliant in it and I agree with him. I think the reporter jumps to some irrational conclusions based on his quotes, but his quotes are pretty cool all the same. Just wondering what others' opinions on this article are?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1767506.ece

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That's

MattShizzle wrote:

Isn't there some probability of 1 to the chances of aliens existing?

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus was a mexican.

Jesus was a mexican.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Drake

The Drake Equation:

http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179073

How can we estimate the number of technological civilizations that might exist among the stars? While working as a radio astronomer at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia, Dr. Frank Drake (now Chairman of the Board of the SETI Institute) conceived an approach to bound the terms involved in estimating the number of technological civilizations that may exist in our galaxy. The Drake Equation, as it has become known, was first presented by Drake in 1961 and identifies specific factors thought to play a role in the development of such civilizations. Although there is no unique solution to this equation, it is a generally accepted tool used by the scientific community to examine these factors.

--Frank Drake, 1961

The equation is usually written:

N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L

Where,

N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.

R* =The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.

fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Within the limits of our existing technology, any practical search for distant intelligent life must necessarily be a search for some manifestation of a distant technology. In each of its last four decadal reviews, the National Research Council has emphasized the relevance and importance of searching for evidence of the electromagnetic signature of distant civilizations.

Besides illuminating the factors involved in such a search, the Drake Equation is a simple, effective tool for stimulating intellectual curiosity about the universe around us, for helping us to understand that life as we know it is the end product of a natural, cosmic evolution, and for making us realize how much we are a part of that universe. A key goal of the SETI Institute is to further high quality research that will yield additional information related to any of the factors of this fascinating equation.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
Alien Gods?  Why, of

Alien Gods?  Why, of course!  After all, we learned that from Star Trek...

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I must relay this little

I must relay this little anecdote.

Back story:

My hard drive crashed the other day, I was able to retrieve much of my data to the the new drive but i was not able to export my podcast list. I had somewhere in the range of thirty to forty different podcast subscriptions. So when the list was irretrievable I had to try to recall my subscriptions, in the process I found a couple more I added that I didn't have before the HD crash.

Anecdote:

There was one I hadn't heard of before, Scientific Atheist, "Hmmm" I thought, "right up my alley. I love science and I am an atheist, I won't even sample it, I will just subscribe and listen tomorrow at work". 

It turns out the host of this particular show is nuts (N.U.T.S.), and that is what I get for not sampling the podcast first. He is full of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories and all out nuttiness.

He made a statement that Sodom and Gomorrah, was not destroyed by god for violating his word, rather it was annihilated by aliens. Huh? Wha? Well, there is one to add to the alien god theory.

Oh well, I had a good laugh and deleted that one when I got home. 

GodHacks
Theist
User is offlineOffline
While I don't believe there

While I don't believe there is such event held on THIS PLANET, I cannot help be believe that such a event could have taken place somewhere. It is definitely a strong possability that somewhere advanced species of Sentient would have posed as Diety to lesser ones, or even terrarforming/creating entire species.

Now, having said that, technically there is no proof, or otherwise disproof, that such a event have taken place before somethere on this planet. But if anything, known public known relic and evidence have been found.

Obviously these are all unrelated to the possable labeling of a "Creation God" in the form of organic matters imported from outterspace that could have been participating(some even say accelerating) in the evolution process of this planet.