8. Saying evolution is "just a theory, not a fact."

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline

Saying evolution is a fact and not a theory. would be a misuse of science

5. Agnostic is not a position between belief(theist) and non belief(atheist).

Page not found

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Evolution is a fact AND a

Evolution is a fact AND a theory, just like gravity.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think you miss the idea

I think you miss the idea there. When people say evolution is just a theory they are saying it is just a guess nothing more. Basically they don't know what theory means.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote:

Voiderest wrote:

I think you miss the idea there. When people say evolution is just a theory they are saying it is just a guess nothing more. Basically they don't know what theory means.

Then how about

8 Saying evolution is "just a theory,"

And explaining that the science of aviation is based on theories. scientific theories you trust your life with

MattShizzle wrote:

MattShizzle I've been through this twice already,

Science is based in probability, there are no absolute facts in science. because of fundamental uncertainties.

( http://www.quantum.at/news/detailview/article/7/losing-a-grip-on-reality.html )

Edit

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Got it

Got it

Edit

No I haven't

My apologies I'm being a pain

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Possibly rephrasing to

Possibly rephrasing to "evolution is merely a theory"? That puts across the point better that it's there "merely" that's being debated, not the "theory".

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Platypus egg laying

Platypus egg laying mammal

both the glass lizard (aka glass snake) and the slow -worm have no legs and propel themselves somewhat like snakes yet are, indeed, lizards. ...

Archaeopteryx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx

Transitional animals /top of my head

And just for fun

Captive shark had 'virgin birth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6681793.stm

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's amazing how many people

It's amazing how many people are calling this the Jesus shark and claiming the ocean will soon be turned into wine.

However, others are claiming that actually the mother, Mary Shark, was a skank who kept the sperm from a blowjob because the father would be legally obliged to support the child if she impregnated herself with it.

Either way, Christians, sick of being "sheep" or "fish" are happy to leap to this new logo:

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote: Captive

Rev_Devilin wrote:

THE UNDERWATER SON OF GOD!!! Smiling

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH

LovE-RicH wrote:
Rev_Devilin wrote:

THE UNDERWATER SON OF GOD!!! Smiling

Oh great the rapture is going to be like that GYO manga. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity With New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ohhh come on that was one

Ohhh come on that was one funny link, don't say you haven't seen this spoof site before ?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38575

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30420

My two favorites 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
YEah, the one about

YEah, the one about intelligent falling was posted before. I liked the one a while back about Bush wanting to land a man on the Sun.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thinking about The

Thinking about

The Intelligent Falling Theory does have a tad more scientific merit than the intelligent creator theory

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I noticed...

Many people lump evolution and orgins of life under the same umbrella. 

Evolution happens, it is a fact. Different dog breeds are proof of that.

Now that is not saying evolution from one spiecies to another is a fact just evolution within a spieces.

The orgins of life has many theories.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote: Many

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

Now that is not saying evolution from one spiecies to another is a fact just evolution within a spieces.

Isn't "species" is just a human grouping mechanism.  Isn't is an abstract idea not a real world barrier?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

stephenmarkjackson
User is offlineOffline
isnt that the difference

isnt that the difference between adaptation and evolution? one is within a species and one is the changing of a species into another? Thats always confused me

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote:

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

Hi iluvc2h5oh

Evolution is the excepted scientific theory because of the weight of evidence supporting the theory

The theory that the world is round is also the scientifically accepted theory because of the weight of evidence supporting the theory

Science does not work with absolute facts, it works with theories and probability

Now the theory that the world is round is disputed, by the flat earth society.that claim they can scientifically prove that the earth is flat

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum//

And the evolution theory is disputed by a bunch of fundies

Science works by publishing a theory. where lots of other scientists can pull the work apart. but if nobody does then it becomes an excepted scientific theory

Subsequently neither the flat earth society or the fundies have publicly published their work for the scrutiny of other scientists.

ie they haven't got a scientific leg to stand on. and they kown it .

Darwin's evolution of species has been published, and it has been accepted

The orgins of life has many theories. but only one scientifically accepted theory backed by lots and lots and lots of evidence

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote: Isn't

Magus wrote:
Isn't "species" is just a human grouping mechanism. Isn't is an abstract idea not a real world barrier?

I'd say, "Yeah, pretty much."  A lot of "species" can produce fertile offspring.

I was discussing zoology with a marine biology student on a whale watching boat and was shocked that I seemed to know more than she did about many subjects.  It also scared me that she "doubted" evolution. 

I brought up various species of parrots that interbreed and produce fertile offspring, such as the Catalina macaw, a cross between the scarlet macaw, Ara macao, and the blue and gold macaw, Ara ararauna.  She was sure that species did not produce fertile offspring.  Well, that "barrier" doesn't work as advertised in the real world.  I know of many hybrids that are, indeed, fertile.

I just hope the girl on the whale-watching boat educates herself.  :|  Probably her distrust of evolution won't survive an education.  At least, we can hope. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

WormGetsItsWings
WormGetsItsWings's picture
User is offlineOffline
Creationist Claim CA201:

Creationist Claim CA201: Evolution is only a theory. It is not a fact.

Response: http://talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA201.html

"On mine honour, my friend, [...] there is nothing of all that whereof thou speakest: there is no devil and no hell. Thy soul will be dead even sooner than thy body; fear, therefore, nothing any more!"

- from Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra