Christianity Is Not A Religion? My head Hurts...

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christianity Is Not A Religion? My head Hurts...

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but I consider this an Irrational Precept. There are a few places on this forum I've come acrossed where a couple of theists have claimed that Chrstianity isn't a religion but "the belief Jesus as the Messiah."

I'm curious...where the hell are they getting their definition of religion from? Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Religion states:

re·li·gion      /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-lij-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun
1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6.something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7.religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8.Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.
Now if we look at Christianity, Do they have a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe considered as the creation of a superhuman agency? Let's see...creationism...check! Do they have devotional and ritual observances? Let's see, Sundays, Christmas? Easter? check! Do they have a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs? A frightening one, but sure...check!So it seems that they fit definition 1 spot on.Do they have a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects?  Well hell...their excuse clause "the belief Jesus as the Messiah." fit's spot on with that and notice that their "religion" is given as a specific example.So I'm curious...what orifice are they pulling this "Christinity is not a religion" from? What do they put on questionaires that ask which religion they are? Why are they now ashamed to to associate themselves as a religion? And do they really think that trying to redefine themselves is going to change anything?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the thing is, some

Well, the thing is, some people like to change around definitions to suit their arguments. 

Christianity is a religion.  There is absolutely no wiggle room here.  Tell those people who insist that it isn't to open a dictionary and look up 'religion'.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Biodroid wrote: So I'm

Biodroid wrote:
So I'm curious...what orifice are they pulling this "Christinity is not a religion" from?

The same one they don't want the gays to use. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if they're the same

I wonder if they're the same dumbasses that insist atheism is a religion....