There are not words for this

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are not words for this

I was doing my usual site crawling this evening when I stumbled upon what was probably the most depressing and horrific stories I have seen in a long time. I don't think it is against the rules here to post from a legitimate news site so I will post the link (MODERATORS: If you must take this down please take the time to send me an email explaining why.)

I MUST WARN YOU this is not for the faint of heart. It is GRUESOME (although the pictures are very blurry you can still see) but it MUST be seen to reveal the true nature of extremist religious zealots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=455400&in_page_id=1879

Du'a Khalil Aswad, a 17 year old girl in Iraq, was STONED TO DEATH for falling in love with a boy from a different religious (Sunni) background.

WHAT

THE

FUCK!!!!!!!

This is truly upsetting, and this is not the only person this has happened to according to the article: "The subjugation of its (Iraq's) women, however, has been largely ignored. Yet according to cultural observers, the number of so-called 'honour killings' has increased in Iraq since the fall of Saddam Hussein. Campaigners say there is an 'epidemic' of such killings in the wartorn country. Autopsy reports in Baghdad often conclude with the verdict: 'Killed to wash away her disgrace.'"

Autopsy reports SAY WHAT???

It really is hard to comprehend how people can harbor this kind of hatred. According to the article: "Police officers (were) stand(ing) idly by, some of them apparently enjoying the spectacle as much as anyone else."

All of this happened because of RELIGION. This was the best place I could think to post this because these extreme acts of violence and hatred MUST be eradicated from the face of the planet. I will quit typing now and go smoke before I get even more angry.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
That makes me sick. 

That makes me sick.  Again, another reason why JIZZlam, as well as other religions, need to die.  Fast.  Here's something I watched the other day which is a little related too.  It's a short documentary that uncovers the truth behind a 16 year old Iranian girl's execution.  Very hard to watch.  It's hard not to see how backwards this society is.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jqQVqsOw4U

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

HellyK
User is offlineOffline
I refuse to watch a death

I refuse to watch a death body, but from your description it sounds awful. I completely agree with you, those acts of violence need to be eradicated.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
How interesting it is that

How interesting it is that women bear the brunt of this zealotry.  Such as the 2002 incident where a woman was raped on account of her brother having an affair.  Or the woman in Nigeria threatened with stoning for an out-of-wedlock birth.

It would at least be consistent if men were held to this same brutal standard. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've read a lot of

I've read a lot of literature on Muslim cultures in Africa.  I've even read some first hand accounts of female genital mutilation and storeis where they kill the rape victim instead of the rapist.  It is terrible.  And women do bear the brunt of these kinds of mistreatment.  However, the thing I find so disturbing about it is that some women want it.  Genital Mutilations are only performed by women (usually with broken glass or a rock).  Some mothers force their own children to have it done even while they have experienced it first hand.  Women are dying in these countries because of a cultural need to punish women.  However, I do not blame this on the faith.  There are normal islamic communities that aren't like this.  I consider it to be more of a cultural problem.  A lot of women say over there that FGM is necessary or a woman can't get pregnant.  A lot of women there say that a rape victim deserves to die.  Of course, many also fight back.  But even young girls feel the victims are responsible.  It is very very sad.

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Some mothers force

Quote:
Some mothers force their own children to have it done even while they have experienced it first hand.  Women are dying in these countries because of a cultural need to punish women.  However, I do not blame this on the faith.  There are normal islamic communities that aren't like this.

It's a mistake to say that because faith doesn't cause it in ALL situations, that it isn't causing it in SOME situations.  This is a religious practice.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
you are correct, that is

you are correct, that is true.  It is blamed on religion.  But I don't know for sure that Islam dogma is actually that oppressive of women.  I could very well be wrong, but I don't think the Quran (sp?) actually condones a lot of these practices.  Which is why I ignore the religious aspect sometimes.  But either way, this is one of those practices where men and women of "faith" distort their religion to suit their desires.  In this case, they teach that Islam wants women to wear Burkas.  They teach that women should be held in complete terror of their superior males.  As usual, they use religion to keep women in their place.  But I guess that was the point in the original posts.  I guess I just still hate to see God so misused.  It is distressing, as I'm sure you know.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Christianity does the same

Christianity does the same thing, though to a less severe extent. You do know the BuyBull advocates forcing a woman to marry her rapist?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
no I didn't know that.  But

no I didn't know that.  But again, as I am no longer a Christian, I can ignore the religious aspect of it fairly easily.  The problem I have is that women let it happen.  We take it, sometimes gladly and let men treat us like this (some women do anyways).  Sometimes they don't even know how to defend themselves.  I still think the root of the problem is in the society, not the diety.  After all what did people do when they didn't like an aspect of their chosen dogma?  They either changed it or left it.  Henry VIII, the Mormons, Calvin, Luther, and plenty more I can't think of.  People do change their religions.  Even now, women are fighting against cultures that want them to wear the burka.  It is possible to quickly change a faith, it is not so easy to change the way men want women to be subserviant.  I agree that the religion is ingrained with these practices, but religion is not necessarily the reason these practices are continued.