What made you angry at God?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What made you angry at God?

Aren't you all sick of hearing this idiotic reasoning for why we are atheist? That's not why, it's because there's no good reason to believe! Ask them the following?

What made you so angry at Santa Claus that you stopped believing in him?

What did the Tooth fairy do to make you stop believing in her?

Why are you so angry at the Easter Bunny?

or ask why they are so angry at any fictional character...

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
The other thing they say is,

The other thing they say is, "If you'd just open your heart to Jesus, he'd show you what true love is" or something as irrational. Turn it back on them and insert your own god like the FSM.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is, ironically, the

This is, ironically, the argument that makes me the most angry.  Any time I talk to a xtian, I try really hard not to tell them anything about my life, because I have had some nasty shit happen to me, and if they find out, they'll completely ignore the fact that all of it happened AFTER I was an atheist, and they'll go on their merry way, content that they know why I'm an atheist.  Suddenly, nothing I say carries any weight at all, and they can smile gently and say, "I know the lord will ease your aching heart in his own time."

Ugh.

My heart's fine.  Thanks.  I got over shit because it was either that or not get over it.  Getting over it seemed to make more sense at the time.  It's worked out well.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

sumra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
You have to open your heart

You have to open your heart to brahma,vishnu and shiva thats the only way and offer milk to shivling.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  have

Hambydammit wrote:

have had some nasty shit happen to me, and if they find out, they'll completely ignore the fact that all of it happened AFTER I was an atheist,

(Tongue firmly in cheek) 

Well, there you go.  Obviously your life was just fine BEFORE you became an Atheist and the nasty shit happened BECAUSE you were an Atheist.

(/tongue firmly in cheek)

Yeah, it gets pretty old when xians assume there's a traumatic reason for leaving religion when, in fact, it's usually a case of having common sense. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would it be fair to ask

Would it be fair to ask believers in response why they are so angry at the emptiness of the universe?

I personally have had several protestants blame my atheism -- and their inability to convert me -- on the fact that I was raised catholic.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord wrote: The

Randalllord wrote:
The other thing they say is, "If you'd just open your heart to Jesus, he'd show you what true love is" or something as irrational. Turn it back on them and insert your own god like the FSM.

You would probably be better off using a more mainstream god such as Vishnu or Allah rather than one that was created to parody christians in the first place.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: This

Hambydammit wrote:

This is, ironically, the argument that makes me the most angry.  Any time I talk to a xtian, I try really hard not to tell them anything about my life, because I have had some nasty shit happen to me, and if they find out, they'll completely ignore the fact that all of it happened AFTER I was an atheist, and they'll go on their merry way, content that they know why I'm an atheist.  Suddenly, nothing I say carries any weight at all, and they can smile gently and say, "I know the lord will ease your aching heart in his own time."

Ugh.

My heart's fine.  Thanks.  I got over shit because it was either that or not get over it.  Getting over it seemed to make more sense at the time.  It's worked out well.

Exactly. I can't count how many times I've seen a theist start attacking an atheists background instead of their argument. I've found disclosing personal information is handicapping yourself in debate with theists, so I've never let myself get into such a position. Fortunately I learned this lesson the easy way.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've actually become happier

I've actually become happier with myself now that I ditched the "god" idea.  I can finally be honest with myself, instead of believing a false truth.  Maybe I thought I was happier when I was in religion, but as I look back on it, I was fooling myself.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Exactly. I

Vastet wrote:
Exactly. I can't count how many times I've seen a theist start attacking an atheists background instead of their argument. I've found disclosing personal information is handicapping yourself in debate with theists, so I've never let myself get into such a position. Fortunately I learned this lesson the easy way.

Theists will almost certainly bring up my non-religious background.  Usually, they'll say things like 'well, you'll never believe in god because that's the way you were raised and we feel sorry for you.' Or they allude to the fact that my parents were bad people.  Ironically, they see my upbringing as blind indoctrination because my parents brought me up non-religious.  They fail to see that in themselves, however.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Vastet

pariahjane wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Theists will almost certainly bring up my non-religious background. Usually, they'll say things like 'well, you'll never believe in god because that's the way you were raised and we feel sorry for you.' Or they allude to the fact that my parents were bad people. Ironically, they see my upbringing as blind indoctrination because my parents brought me up non-religious. They fail to see that in themselves, however.

What, you expect them to carry thoughts through logically?! Madness!

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Aren't

MattShizzle wrote:

Aren't you all sick of hearing this idiotic reasoning for why we are atheist? 

Yes and no. Yes, I find it annoying, but no, in another way it does not bother me, because the theist himself is confessing that to him, accepting theism is based on emotions.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: I've

lucidfox13 wrote:
I've actually become happier with myself now that I ditched the "god" idea. I can finally be honest with myself, instead of believing a false truth. Maybe I thought I was happier when I was in religion, but as I look back on it, I was fooling myself.

Same here. I even explained this to a Xian and she kept saying the same crap over and over about sincerely asking god to show my the light. Don't they get it that most of us have already been there, done that, and got no results except newfound beliefs? XD

Ask them "Why are you so mad at Ron Weasley?" the next time they try that.

myspace.com/miyao

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sumra wrote: You have to

sumra wrote:
You have to open your heart to brahma,vishnu and shiva thats the only way and offer milk to shivling.

Is shivling a cobra? Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: This

Hambydammit wrote:

This is, ironically, the argument that makes me the most angry. Any time I talk to a xtian, I try really hard not to tell them anything about my life, because I have had some nasty shit happen to me, and if they find out, they'll completely ignore the fact that all of it happened AFTER I was an atheist, and they'll go on their merry way, content that they know why I'm an atheist. Suddenly, nothing I say carries any weight at all, and they can smile gently and say, "I know the lord will ease your aching heart in his own time."

Ugh.

My heart's fine. Thanks. I got over shit because it was either that or not get over it. Getting over it seemed to make more sense at the time. It's worked out well.

Hamby, this is why local theists won' t take me seriously.  Grrr....

I've learned an important lesson: Never share personal information with theists, especially fundies.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Exactly.

Vastet wrote:

I learned it the hard way.    Now I really wish I could move.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst

todangst wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

Aren't you all sick of hearing this idiotic reasoning for why we are atheist?

Yes and no. Yes, I find it annoying, but no, in another way it does not bother me, because the theist himself is confessing that to him, accepting theism is based on emotions.

This makes me feel better.  Excellent point. Smiling

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I don't think many theists

I don't think many theists can imagine not feeling that their beliefs are real, so they can only conceive of atheism as a variation on the base assumption. I can't conceive of their position either. I've been to long, drawn out masses with all their rote mantras, and I've felt nothing but boredom and impatience with the whole exercise. Likewise, I've hung out with various sorts of new age types, and it's always a battle to keep a straight face. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I don't

magilum wrote:
I don't think many theists can imagine not feeling that their beliefs are real, so they can only conceive of atheism as a variation on the base assumption. I can't conceive of their position either. I've been to long, drawn out masses with all their rote mantras, and I've felt nothing but boredom and impatience with the whole exercise. Likewise, I've hung out with various sorts of new age types, and it's always a battle to keep a straight face.

So, you're either bored off your ass or laughing it off? Smiling

I take it you were never religious, you lucky bastard.  Giving it up while everyone else around you keeps it is a sticky business. I know very few people IRL that are not religious.

My voice teacher is a Zen Buddhist with New Age tendencies, which I can handle better than the local fundy nutcases.  She insists that her husband was kept alive longer using "healing energies."  I don't believe that, but hey. *shrug*  I find it less dangerous than the Abrahamic religious nonsense, though at some point I hope most people will ask themselves if they believe something because it's true or because they think it will make them feel better.  Unfortunately most people don't allow their core beliefs to be questioned.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I wasn't brought up

Yeah, I wasn't brought up with religion, though I'm confronted with casual assumptions about religion from my Catholic family. It's not something I understand, since almost everyone I've known to profess religious faith is actively contradicting it in their lives. Getting anyone to recognize their cognative dissonance is a tough nut to crack, and I've failed every time. Baby needs the pacifier.