Astrology

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

I'm actually surprised this one hasn't been put in before. I would say the idea that planets millions of miles away, or stars thousands/millions/billions of light years away can somehow have an effect on your life or personality is an irrational precept. There certainly is no evidence for astrology being true, and plenty for it being false, yet virtually every newspaper in the US has an astrology column, and how much money is made by books, phonelines, and those little rolled up thingees sold from the machines near gumball machines in stores using astrology? It was one thing for primitive people blieving it, who didn't know what the stars and planets were, but for modern people in an industrial country, who should have at least a slight understanding of modern astronomy, it is absolutely ridiculous to waste money on such nonsense.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

Sagittarius
Positive Characteristics:
Philosophical ....... *shrug*
Broadminded ...... I would like to think so
Optimistic ........ I doubt that
Straightforward ..... Look at my previous 3 answers, what do you think?
Freedom-loving ....... Who the fuck isint?
Adventurous ....... Maybe once I get a girlfeind
Religious ..... *bursts out laughing*
Scholarly ..... *is still laughing*
Enthusiastic ...... About as much as to start an apathy religion
Social ...... Too busy with the apathy
Charming ..... Thats not me

So letsee, 2 or so out of 11...... eat cock. I like knowing my sign, but just like being an atheist only says that I lack a beleif in god, being Sagittarius just says that I'm bourn in a time spanning November 21 ? December 21. If you want to know something about me, get to freaking know me! Or hire a private detective.

For a completely reasonable, down to earth opinion on how star signs are just another form of prejudice, listen to this very calm sound clip http://www.ranting-gryphon.com/Rants/2rant-astrology.mp3 by 2 gryphon

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

qwak
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

What's worse with astrology is that often even people you don't expect to fall for it, do. I have a few atheist friends who eat that shit up. Granted for most of them, their only backround in science is a nutrition class they took in college because they didn't want to take a real science class, and ended up only learning how to count calories and become a vegetarian. Though there are a couple with degrees in science that still buy into it... that bothers me.

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

Someone with a degree in science believes in Astrology??? What was their GPA? Laughing out loud

qwak
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

don't know, never asked them..

might need to kick them a few times though.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

That is pretty scary. Almost as bad as those with science degrees who are creationists.

qwak
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

Reminds me of what I was thinking of during the class I was in today.

Which was, the reason I dropped out of high school.

Schools don't teach people to think, merely to regurgitate information, as a result, things that should be fairly easy, are often difficult to most people. An example today was calculating the wavelength of a soundwave when knowing both it's speed, and it's frequency. You don't even have to remember the formula (you should never have to memorize formulas anyway), as long as you can break apart the data you have in front of you. I wanted wavelength, or distance per cycle. The quantities I had were distance per second, and cycles per second. It's painfully obvious when you look at it like that, and this is just basic dimensional analysis, unfortunately, this isn't taught until at least a college level usually, yet being able to understand the dimensions of your units allows you to manipulate almost any quantity to get the desired result. Yet I don't remember any of this being covered at a high school level, we were supposed to memorize all our formulas for use on tests.

This problem doesn't just occur in math/science, but also in history, "english", and I've even seen it in art classes. Memorize some facts and spit them back out, when they can easily be looked up. Instead we should be teaching our students how to analyze and come to conclusions from the information given. History? no problem, instead of memorizing the date such and such took place, lets look at a few events and discuss how they led to each other, or how a series of minor events set the stage for a major event. Students can then be graded on their ability to reason and make connections rather than on their ability to memorize. Art and english usually aren't as bad, but it still occurs from time to time.

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

Really, science classes really need to be teaching people how to think. :roll:

qwak
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

at least science classes.. if not all classes Eye-wink

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

MattShizzle wrote:
Really, science classes really need to be teaching people how to think. :roll:

I would wager that the deeply theistic parents would have a word or two to say about that, unless its them being thought to think -their- way. Smiling

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

That's true.

qwak
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

well, theres a definate difference between teaching how to think and teaching what to think.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

Religious people don't want their kids to know HOW to think. At least not rationally.

qwak
User is offlineOffline
Astrology

so we tell them we're teaching them basketweaving.