Stupid story

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Stupid story

Most of us have seen that idiotic thing that's been going around the series of tubes asking how atheists will feel if eventually a tree grows over their grave and is cut down to make paper used in a Buybull. Here are 3 big problems with that:

1. Not all of us will be buried. Some will be cremated, put in a mauseleum. buried at sea or some other more exotic method of body disposal.

2. Paper companies normally don't harvest trees from cemetaries.

3. So what? We won't care, we'll be dead.

So basically, even if we cared, the only way this would happen would be if we somehow died in an area where they grow trees for harvesting for paper and our bodies not found.

Anyway, using this same logic, a Christian could grow a tree that eventually becomes a copy of the Quaran - or "The God Delusion" or "Atheist Universe!"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

StandardCitizen
StandardCitizen's picture
User is offlineOffline
The moral response?

I could answer pretty honestly that of course 'then' I wouldn't care because I couldn't, but now I'd feel pretty good knowing that SOMEwhere trees will be growing on this planet in the future.

Heh

"The hardest thing in life to do is to see things as they are, not as you want them to be."

"I do not despise believers. I find then neither rediculous nor pathetic, but I lose all hope when I see that they prefer the comforting fairy tales of children to the cruel hard facts of adults. Better the faith that brings peace of mind than the rationality that brings worry - even at the price of perpetual mental infantilism."
~Michel Onfray in Atheist Manifesto

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Using this logic why would

Using this logic why would an atheist donate blood?  The popemobile could end up in a serious accident that afternoon and his holiness rushed off for a blood transfusion.

Obviously that makes absolutely no sense.  Are these 5th graders presenting this argument? 

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
worse: Dane Cook

worse: Dane Cook

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure I won't care. I

I'm sure I won't care. I won't even be capable of caring. I won't even know I'm no longer capable of caring. I won't even care that I don't know that I'm no longer capable of caring ... shall I go on?

Seriously, that's the dumbest question. That just shows that they are totally clueless about what atheists think.

The only people that kind of stuff matters to are the people who are still alive when I'm dead. But, as for me, do whatever you want. Piss on my grave. Cover it with Bibles. Dig me up and chop me into bits for a BBQ or feed me to your dog. Do whatever tickles your fancy. I'm certain I'll never know and I'll never care. Have fun!

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher