Criticize Religion and you get censored. Is this conducive to a free democracy with church state separation?

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Criticize Religion and you get censored. Is this conducive to a free democracy with church state separation?

What pisses me off the most about this is the fact that christians yell that they are being oppressed everytime some one cirticizes religion. They label it hate speech. What about the hate speech against gays from the christians? What about the hate speech against women from the christians? What about the hate speech against the atheists from the christians. TV networks show mass on sunday mornings, but when an actress such as Griffin criticizes jesus and god, then she gets censored? Is anyone else outraged at the double standards here?

Griffin's 'offensive' Emmy speech to be censored http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/11/tv.emmys.griffin.ap/index.html LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Before Kathy Griffin won a creative arts Emmy last weekend for her reality show, "My Life on the D-List," she joked that an award would move her to the C-list. Kathy Griffin was pleased to win an Emmy, but her speech will likely be trimmed. She was right: "C" as in censored. The TV academy said her raucous acceptance speech will be edited when the event, which was taped, is shown Saturday on the E! channel. The main prime-time Emmy Awards air the next night on Fox. "Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night," the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement Monday. In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus." She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!" The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech." According to the TV academy and E!, when the four hour-plus ceremony is edited into a two-hour program, Griffin's remarks will be shown in "an abbreviated version" in which some language may be bleeped. The program was in production and unfinished, an E! spokeswoman said Monday. Requests for comment were left Monday evening by phone and e-mail with Griffin's publicist. They were not immediately returned. The Catholic League, an anti-defamation group, called on the TV academy to "denounce Griffin's obscene and blasphemous comment" at Sunday's ceremony. The academy said Monday it had no plans to address the issue in the prime-time broadcast. The organization may have another delicate issue to consider, this one involving an off-color fake music video that aired last December on "Saturday Night Live" and won a creative arts Emmy for best song. Andy Samberg of "SNL" said Saturday that he had yet to be asked by the TV academy to perform the tune with Timberlake on the Fox broadcast, but he was willing. Timberlake, on a concert tour, is scheduled to be in Los Angeles next weekend. The subject of their "(Blank) in a Box" video: wrapping a certain part of the male anatomy and presenting it to a loved one as a holiday present. The academy has said that "show elements are in the process of being worked out."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Brian37

wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Do not confuse "what people should do, or what you think they should do" with what is actually legal by law. What she did was legal and what the event organizers did was legal. No one broke the law.

I'm not taling about what is legally or constitutionally right.  'm just saying that offensifness such not be lauded in a civil society.

The fact that you're a theist is offensive to me. Your "civil" society has just failed.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic

stillmatic wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Do not confuse "what people should do, or what you think they should do" with what is actually legal by law. What she did was legal and what the event organizers did was legal. No one broke the law.

I'm not taling about what is legally or constitutionally right. 'm just saying that offensifness such not be lauded in a civil society.

The fact that you're a theist is offensive to me. Your "civil" society has just failed.

Really?  I mean what exactly are you going to do about the fact you find his theism offensive?  I suppose you could call him names but then us folks in this civil society would just think you were being an arse.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:
stillmatic wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

I'm not taling about what is legally or constitutionally right. 'm just saying that offensifness such not be lauded in a civil society.

The fact that you're a theist is offensive to me. Your "civil" society has just failed.

Really?  I mean what exactly are you going to do about the fact you find his theism offensive?  I suppose you could call him names but then us folks in this civil society would just think you were being an arse.

I'll just wait for the thought police to come and pick him up. I also find the word "arse" offensive, enjoy your new cell mate wavefreak.

There is nothing civil about tip toeing around trying to ensure you don't offend anyone. It's intellectually dishonest to pretend that all members of society are in total agreement with each other.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: There is

stillmatic wrote:
There is nothing civil about tip toeing around trying to ensure you don't offend anyone. It's intellectually dishonest to pretend that all members of society are in total agreement with each other.

Absolutely.  There's nothing wrong with civil discussion and debate whatsoever but that's not the same as being rude and boorish.  After all it's quite possible to make a point without resorting to crudities.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:

stillmatic wrote:

Absolutely.  There's nothing wrong with civil discussion and debate whatsoever but that's not the same as being rude and boorish.  After all it's quite possible to make a point without resorting to crudities.

And who decides where to draw the line between civil disagreement and rudeness? The thought police of course.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Full

wavefreak wrote:

Full quote ( http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-chat/1893856/posts )

A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this. He had nothing to do with this," Griffin said. "Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now."

This is fucking ridiculous!! Anywhere else in the world and no one would give a fuck, in fact they'd probably just laugh. There is no way that that could in anyway be classed as hate speech.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: And who

stillmatic wrote:
And who decides where to draw the line between civil disagreement and rudeness? The thought police of course.

Nope.

1) The law if you overstep the mark by too much.  Whether it's a breach of the peace or an antisocial behaviour order.

2) Societal convention. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Kathy Griffin's

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

blueocean
Theist
User is offlineOffline
just curious about

just curious about something-I know many people on here were raised fundamnetalist xtian, so this hits home. but I'm curious-suppose she had said this about Muhammed, or Moses, or Vishnu, or even "God" and Muslim, Jewish, and/or Hindu groups got upset. Would you all feel the same way? 

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
blueocean wrote: just

blueocean wrote:
just curious about something-I know many people on here were raised fundamnetalist xtian, so this hits home. but I'm curious-suppose she had said this about Muhammed, or Moses, or Vishnu, or even "God" and Muslim, Jewish, and/or Hindu groups got upset. Would you all feel the same way?

You mean, would I still think it was hilarious?  Absolutely.  Although, if she had said, "Suck it, Mohammed," I'd feel bad that she'd have to hide for the rest of her life, due to the fact that some nutcase cleric would issue a fatwa on her.   

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I don't know in its entirety what she said, but from the article it doesn't seem like 'hate' speech to me.

What next? Will they consider someone denying Jesus is the son of god as hate speech?

A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this. He had nothing to do with this," Griffin said. "Suck it, Jesus. This award is my God now."

So the question is if "suck it fags", or "suck it niggers" is hate speech, is "suck it Jesus"?

No its not hate speach. Any atempt to claim that it is demeans and belittles racsim and homophobia. Stop moaning no one is preaching hate against christians you are going out of your way to be offended. Go play with lions.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
This whole "hate speech"

This whole "hate speech" nonsense highlights exactly why such laws are so problomatic. They are abused. The law is abused. What starts out as a very well intentioned piece of legislation aimed and preventing racist verbal attacks or stiring up anti-semitism quickly becomes corrupted and use to stiffle and criticism of any group. The definitions of what is covered by hate speech is just to vague. It all depends upon context, interpretation, the target audience, background and the intent of the speaker. This is all open to ambiguity and interpretation. In short its a matter of opinion. This leaves the daw open for abuse of these well intentioned laws.

This is exactly what we see here. It obvious no charges will be pressed but the xtians get the opportunity to go out their way to be offended (as they often do) and now they can cite it a "hate speech" and feel all victimised which is after all what they do best. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I don't know in its entirety what she said, but from the article it doesn't seem like 'hate' speech to me.

What next? Will they consider someone denying Jesus is the son of god as hate speech?

So the question is if "suck it fags", or "suck it niggers" is hate speech, is "suck it Jesus"?

No its not hate speach. Any atempt to claim that it is demeans and belittles racsim and homophobia. Stop moaning no one is preaching hate against christians you are going out of your way to be offended. Go play with lions.

Where did you get the idea that I was offended? Go through this thread and read my posts.  

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: evil

wavefreak wrote:
evil religion wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Where did you get the idea that I was offended? Go through this thread and read my posts.

I get offended when people have the sheer nerve to consider that "suck it Jesus" might be in the same category as "suck it nigger" or "suck is fags" the whole notion is utterly offensive to me. It is offensive because, as I said, it belittles racism and homophobia. It belittles the suffering and torment these groups have suffered over the years (mostly at the hands of Christians BTW). So when I see a theist even trying to equate them it makes me angry. Maybe I went off on one, maybe I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. But maybe the number of times I hear theists crap on about being persecuted really winds me up. The Muslims have even managed invented their own word for criticism of Islam, its now known as Islamophobia! Apparently this means that its the same as racism, sexism, homophobia and all other types of bigotry. Any criticsim of Islam is now phobic hate speach apparently.

Its madness. All it is is a cynical atempt at censorship and the stiffling of debate.  Its is using the system to stop people disagreeing with you. It is exactly the same insidious crap the CSE are trying to pull by abusing the copyright laws, its what Christianity managed to pull with the blaphemy laws here in the UK. Just as the CSE are abusing the copyright laws so the theists are atempting to abuse the tollerant atitudes prevelant in our liberal democracies. They are abusing the social laws that state that intollerence is wrong. Theists are basically scamming the system, we do not tollerant intollerance and so if you can somehow falsly make something out to be "hate speech" you have a means to censor it.

The Muslims have a disinct advantage in pulling off this scam as the majority of them have a diffrent skin pigment to the white population. This means that they can play the racism card as well. But the Christians ain't far behind in their abuse of the system. So sorry to come on so strong, sorry if I went off on a rant but free speech is a subject that is rather dear to me and when people attack it I tend to get annoyed.

Here endeth the sermon.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion wrote: So

evil religion wrote:

So when I see a theist even trying to equate them it makes me angry. Maybe I went off on one, maybe I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt.

To quote myself:

wavefreak wrote:

I have problems with offensive speech in general. I don't think of atheists as damned to hell demon spawn (excpet Brian37 and his proclivity for cat BBQ). Saying "suck it Jesus" is deeply offensive to a large number of people. Hate speech? Probably not. It wasn't inciting any action (may it was an invitation for a little 69 ). But I don't understand why we as a culture find it so easy to be offensive.

Take special note of:

"(may it was an invitation for a little 69 ) "

Does this sound like a person particularly offended by Kathy's outburst?

As usual, my theist tag illicited a pre-judged reaction.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: evil

wavefreak wrote:
evil religion wrote:

So when I see a theist even trying to equate them it makes me angry. Maybe I went off on one, maybe I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt.

To quote myself: 

wavefreak wrote:

I have problems with offensive speech in general. I don't think of atheists as damned to hell demon spawn (excpet Brian37 and his proclivity for cat BBQ). Saying "suck it Jesus" is deeply offensive to a large number of people. Hate speech? Probably not. It wasn't inciting any action (may it was an invitation for a little 69 ). But I don't understand why we as a culture find it so easy to be offensive.

But also to quote yourself

Quote:

This is the bit I am talking about. To even consider that "suck it Jesus" is in the same category as "suck it fags", or "suck it niggers" is a just wrong and deeply offensive to anyone who has been unfortunate enough experiance geniune hate speach and persecution.

Quote:

It may well have done. Unfortunatly you keep very bad company and you may well be tarred with the same brush. Having debated with theists for many years it is my informed opinion that they are the first to cry blue murder and take offense if someone dares to voice any opinion that differs from theirs. Sorry but thats just the way theists are in my experiance. There are exceptions I agree. Perhaps you are one of those exceptions. Perhaps.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:

Quote:

It may well have done. Unfortunatly you keep very bad company and you may well be tarred with the same brush. Having debated with theists for many years it is my informed opinion that they are the first to cry blue murder and take offense if someone dares to voice any opinion that differs from theirs. Sorry but thats just the way theists are in my experiance. There are exceptions I agree. Perhaps you are one of those exceptions. Perhaps.

This doesn't just apply to religion. I see sweeping generalizations in politics etc.

Somehow, people want to portray their group as the underdog rising up against their oppresors. This is exactly what happens in deabtes about religion, politics, social issues etc....

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: evil

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
evil religion wrote:

Quote:

This doesn't just apply to religion. I see sweeping generalizations in politics etc.

Somehow, people want to portray their group as the underdog rising up against their oppresors. This is exactly what happens in deabtes about religion, politics, social issues etc....

errrr thats right but what on earth does that observation have to do with the price of fish?

Wavefreak was complaining that I may have judged him because he was a theist. To be honest I did judge him because he was a theist. That judgement is based on a not inconsiderbale amount of experiance in debating with theists over the years. I do judge theists, I judge them on the merits of their beliefs, I find  their beliefs distinctly lacking in merit and hence my judgement of them is negative. Also the atitutude of MOST theists I encounter is to get overly offended when someone points out that the stupidity of their beliefs. On the whole theists seem incapable of having a reasonable discusion without getting "offended". I can understand this I really can when the position you are desperate to defend is so lacking in evidence, so lacking in rational support the only real option left open is offence either that or to admit that you are irrational or just plain wrong. Thats just my experiance of theists over the years. They are generally, in my experiance, dishonest, whinney, fucktards. Wavefreak may have been judged too harshly, he may be differrent....time will tell.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:   Kathy

Susan wrote:

Kathy Griffin's acceptance speech:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2007/09/13/sbt.griffin.panel.cnn

{fixed}

Poking fun at irrational beliefs should be a duty of everyone and if those of faith have a problem with it, they can suck it.  It's ironic how Donahue thinks that what griffin said is more serious than real hate crime speech.  It goes to show that the moral values of people like him are obviously misplaced. It's not as bad calling people niggers than to say suck it jesus.  It's not as immoral to insult people based on their race whom they are born as opposed to insulting a choice of religious beliefs people make?

This is just another example of how religion tries to stand above critical analysis.   

And they claim moral righteousness.  Let's not forget the use of the bible in order to incite racially motivated murders and organizations such as the KKK.  Once you see through the smoke and mirrors of religion you see that at teh foundation there is a big problem, morally.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: Susan

LeftofLarry wrote:
Susan wrote:

Kathy Griffin's acceptance speech:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2007/09/13/sbt.griffin.panel.cnn

{fixed}

Poking fun at irrational beliefs should be a duty of everyone and if those of faith have a problem with it, they can suck it. It's ironic how Donahue thinks that what griffin said is more serious than real hate crime speech. It goes to show that the moral values of people like him are obviously misplaced. It's not as bad calling people niggers than to say suck it jesus. It's not as immoral to insult people based on their race whom they are born as opposed to insulting a choice of religious beliefs people make?

This is just another example of how religion tries to stand above critical analysis.

And they claim moral righteousness. Let's not forget the use of the bible in order to incite racially motivated murders and organizations such as the KKK. Once you see through the smoke and mirrors of religion you see that at teh foundation there is a big problem, morally.

A fuckin men to that!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: And

LeftofLarry wrote:

And they claim moral righteousness. Let's not forget the use of the bible in order to incite racially motivated murders and organizations such as the KKK. Once you see through the smoke and mirrors of religion you see that at teh foundation there is a big problem, morally.

Ahh the morality card. Haven't seen that in a while. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:

Quote:

This is the bit I am talking about. To even consider that "suck it Jesus" is in the same category as "suck it fags", or "suck it niggers" is a just wrong and deeply offensive to anyone who has been unfortunate enough experiance geniune hate speach and persecution.

My point, poorly made, is that "suck it Jesus" is as deeply offensive to some people (fundies) as "fag" or "nigger". The arguments offered that there is a fundamental difference in "suck it Jesus" and "suck it fag" don't hold water because no matter how you cast the debate, it is STILL deeply offensive to fundies. Should fundies be as deeply offended? Perhaps not, but they are. And so I rue the fact that our culture finds it so easy to be offensive, and am bothered by the fact that depending on your point of view, offending certain sub-groups is OK.

Fundies can be offensive - sometimes VERY offensive. And, IMHO, they do not have that right. And, IMHO, none of us have that right, either.

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Full

wavefreak wrote:

The difference is that homosexuals and blacks (sorry - not PC enough to say African-American until I can officially be labeled Irish-American instead of white) actually exist, and even if Jesus did ever exist, he certainly doesn't now. The only people offended are his brainwashed worshippers and it should not be any more offensive than saying, "Suck it, Santa Claus." 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How about Suck it, Zues?

How about Suck it, Zues?

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: wavefreak

kellym78 wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

The difference is that homosexuals and blacks (sorry - not PC enough to say African-American until I can officially be labeled Irish-American instead of white) actually exist, and even if Jesus did ever exist, he certainly doesn't now. The only people offended are his brainwashed worshippers and it should not be any more offensive than saying, "Suck it, Santa Claus."

Should is the operative word. Reality is that there are more brainwashed than not. Being offensive does not advance the cause of promoting a non-brainwashed life style

I'm Irish/Mexican. Do I get a category too? 

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
evil religion wrote:

Quote:

My point, poorly made, is that "suck it Jesus" is as deeply offensive to some people (fundies) as "fag" or "nigger". The arguments offered that there is a fundamental difference in "suck it Jesus" and "suck it fag" don't hold water because no matter how you cast the debate, it is STILL deeply offensive to fundies.

No the argument does not hold water. It does not hold water as long as you have the rights to free speech and the right to examine all beliefs critically. The only way that you can make the argument hold water is if

1: You allow that some beliefs are special and imune from criticsm.

2: You then allow censorship on criticism of those beliefs.

Belief in God and belief in Jesus is just that A BELIEF. In a free country with free speech such beliefs, in fact ALL BELIEFS, should and MUST be open to criticism, mockery and attack. The fact that people who hold those beliefs might be offended is irrelevant. Their offence does not mean that such criticism or mockery be banned. Can you think of one other set of beliefs that we would even consider censoring mockery of? Can you imagine what would happen if republicans got offended at criticism or mockery of their conservative beliefs and tried to censor lliberals from mocking them?

Quote:
Should fundies be as deeply offended? Perhaps not, but they are. And so I rue the fact that our culture finds it so easy to be offensive, and am bothered by the fact that depending on your point of view, offending certain sub-groups is OK.

When the criticism and mockery is of something they believe they have no business being offended. If they are though shit. If they can't defend their beliefs against such criticsim, if they have to retreat behind "offense" then they should really examine those beliefs very carefully and ask themselves whether they should really believe them.

Quote:
Fundies can be offensive - sometimes VERY offensive.

Yes they are offensive because they attack the way people are not just what they believe. I never get offended when they attack my beliefs that God does not exist. I never get offended when anyone attacks any of my beliefs. I will defend those beliefs on their merits, I will debate and argue with the best of them. I may even get a bit hot under the collar from time to time in a heated debate but offended? No way. I will, however, take offense when people attack others for the way that they are. When people descriminate against others because of their race, their sex or sexuality then I take offence.

Quote:
And, IMHO, they do not have that right. And, IMHO, none of us have that right, either.

They do have the right to voice their opinions no matter how offensive. They do not have the right to be offended when their beleifs are critcised NO ONE DOES.

Its really simple

Beliefs ARE open to all criticism and no one has the right to get offended if those beliefs are criticised or even mocked. They certainly don't have the right to censor that mockery.

Mockery and criticsim of the way you actually are (rather than what you think) can be offensive.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I heard about this a

Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago.  I am a fan of Kathy's, but I don't think she did a smart thing in her comments.  She had to know how people would react.   I get her humor, but not everyone does.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, its trademarked. I've

Dude, its trademarked. I've been here for months...

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rammknot wrote: The

Rammknot wrote:

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

What? Hate speech against whom? God? I didn't know "kiss my ass" counted as hate speech.

Rammknot
Superfan
Rammknot's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cathy Griffin's Emmy speach to be cencored in re-runs

"LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Before Kathy Griffin won a creative arts Emmy last weekend for her reality show, "My Life on the D-List," she joked that an award would move her to the C-list.

She was right: "C" as in censored. The TV academy said her raucous acceptance speech will be edited when the event, which was taped, is shown Saturday on the E! channel. The main prime-time Emmy Awards air the next night on Fox.

"Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night," the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement Monday.

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ (she said Kiss my ass Jesus) and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

According to the TV academy and E!, when the four hour-plus ceremony is edited into a two-hour program, Griffin's remarks will be shown in "an abbreviated version" in which some language may be bleeped.

The program was in production and unfinished, an E! spokeswoman said Monday.

Requests for comment were left Monday evening by phone and e-mail with Griffin's publicist. They were not immediately returned.

The Catholic League, an anti-defamation group, called on the TV academy to "denounce Griffin's obscene and blasphemous comment" at Sunday's ceremony.

The academy said Monday it had no plans to address the issue in the prime-time broadcast.

The organization may have another delicate issue to consider, this one involving an off-color fake music video that aired last December on "Saturday Night Live" and won a creative arts Emmy for best song.

Andy Samberg of "SNL" said Saturday that he had yet to be asked by the TV academy to perform the tune with Timberlake on the Fox broadcast, but he was willing. Timberlake, on a concert tour, is scheduled to be in Los Angeles next weekend.

The subject of their "(Blank) in a Box" video: wrapping a certain part of the male anatomy and presenting it to a loved one as a holiday present.

The academy has said that "show elements are in the process of being worked out."

Better die on your feet than live on your knees
In the absence of justice there will be no peace

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:

Mockery and criticsim of the way you actually are (rather than what you think) can be offensive.

Are you serious? How can you separate what we are from what we think? Especially if you deny dualism. The very notion of offensiveness  requires thinking. If we didn't think, we could not be offended. And where do beliefs get singled out as OK for mockery? That sounds like a belief in and of itself - and I fart in it's general direction.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rammknot wrote: "Kathy

Rammknot wrote:

"Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night," the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement Monday.

We already know what the author of the statement thought.  This is not an unbiased sentence.

Note the writer of the statement wrote "offensive remarks" as if it is fact that they are offensive to everyone.

How annoying. 

MyDogCole
MyDogCole's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kathy Griffin's unedited

Kathy Griffin's unedited comment was shown on Larry King:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbziBwi489Q

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." ~ Abraham Lincoln

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
First, a hello to EllKay! I

First, a hello to EllKay!

I have a problem with censoring of any "hate speech"--even if it is hate speech, according to a general definition--in the USA, because free speech means offensive speech is protected.  Some things people say are vile and disgusting, but they have a right to say them!

I really hope this doesn't hurt Kathy's career.  I guess her career isn't a big one, although I think she's done better in recent years, but you know how people are when you criticize religion.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
evil religion wrote:

Are you serious? How can you separate what we are from what we think? Especially if you deny dualism.

Quite easily. Heres the rub. We can change what we believe. We can believe things that are wrong. Some beliefs are worse than others. Not all beliefs are equal. Not all beleifs are worthy of respect. In short beliefs are completely and utterly different from say the colour of ones skin.

Quote:
The very notion of offensiveness requires thinking. If we didn't think, we could not be offended. And where do beliefs get singled out as OK for mockery?

By the fact that some beliefs are inherently worse than others.

The belief that "poking ones self in the eye with a pencil is a good idea" is an example of a shit beleif that should be mocked. The belief that the "moon is made of cheese" is another example of a very bad belief. We have a very good way of determining whether beleifs are good or not, its called reasoning.

Quote:
That sounds like a belief in and of itself - and I fart in it's general direction.

You can do this if you wish but as soon as you start respecting all beleifs as equal and unable to be mocked you have to accept all manner of complete nonesense as an equally valid position as very good sensible beleifs. This is just fucking insane. In practice we do judge all beliefs on their merits. This judgement is entirlely sensibel and I guarantee that you do thsi every single day many many times. Its a basic tool required too opperate within the world.  Seperating silly beliefs from good beliefs is an essential skill that we all must master to survive. Seperating the "good colour of skin" from the "bad colour of skin" is a completely different thing altogether.  Beliefs are treated nothing like the way we treat skin colour, race or sexuality. We should not consider a skin colour to be BAD or GOOD but we can and do judge beliefs in this way. You and I and everyone else makes many of these good/bad belief judgements every day.

However there are a few silly exceptions to the way we normally treat beleifs- religion is one of those silly exceptions. It is held up as sacred and despite it obviouse supidity and complete failure to stand up to the rigors of reasoning we still are not allowed to mock it in the same way we mock any other equally dumbfuck belief (like poking ones eyes out with a pencil is a good idea). This needs to change. There is no reason why religious beliefs should not be treated in the same way as we routinely treat all other beliefs. That means that mocking religion is not and never will be hate speech.

guinness4strength
User is offlineOffline
True, advertisers are

True, advertisers are dominated by profit, but it's also true that there are a lot of Christians in these companies, and many of them are in high positions.

Like the Pope in the profitable company of Christianity

If a god never existed, man would be forced to create one.

docflash1225
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tyranny

Realizing fully I'll probably be taken apart for this, I'll ask anyway and see how "rational" your responses are. I find it interesting that it is, simply "Christians" and "Christianity" that are blamed for things like Kathy Griffin being censored (though I was pleased to see people also considering the economic/profit standpoints too). As a Christian who actually does his best to follow the teachings of Christ as put forth in the Bible, I have to say that even though I thought Kathy Griffin's remarks to be in very poor taste(and an easy shot, since she wouldnt have said "Suck it Muslims" or the like, you can bet), they shouldnt be censored because I, like everyone, have the ability to change the bloody channel. That leads me to this question - when you blame Christians and Christianity for tyranny and its control that it supposedly wields, are you painting with a broad brush or do you concede that not all Christians beat people with Bibles, march in anti-gay protests and concern themselves with matters like this one? As far as I can see, you're using the broad brush. If thats the case, isn't that just as unfair, just as intolerant as you claim all of those evil Christians are, or do you work by another set of rules? After all, the Christians seen in the media and glorified by the news are very rarely (or seem to be, to be fair) people who follow the teachings of Jesus as they appear in Scripture. I'm curious.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
docflash1225 wrote: After

docflash1225 wrote:
After all, the Christians seen in the media and glorified by the news are very rarely (or seem to be, to be fair) people who follow the teachings of Jesus as they appear in Scripture. I'm curious.

Well if they really followed the teachings of Jesus they would have to hate every member of their family or they couldn't be His Disciple.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." – Luke 14.26

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

docflash1225
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Old argument

Rather than engage in a rather tired old argument against Christianity (and usually the first one brought up, too), I'll defer to this page http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/jesus/family

The question is answered with greater detail and clarity than I could ever hope to give, which I admit freely.

Having said that, I will courteously return to my previous posting and previous question, and would like it answered, please.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
docflash1225 wrote: Rather

docflash1225 wrote:

Rather than engage in a rather tired old argument against Christianity (and usually the first one brought up, too), I'll defer to this page http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/jesus/family

The question is answered with greater detail and clarity than I could ever hope to give, which I admit freely.

Having said that, I will courteously return to my previous posting and previous question, and would like it answered, please.

If you don't want me to start pointing out how the teachings of the Bible are psychotic, murderous, and flat out insane then don't say that Christians doing "bad" things need to follow what the bible says more closely.

I don't even need to argue.  Just read your bible.  Case done.

docflash1225
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Actually I answered your

Actually I answered your statement with an explanation. Isnt it interesting who has suddenly become obnoxious and rude in their answers?

In any event, thats enough for me. I asked a rational question and got my statement dissected and insults for answers. I'm sure this will add to your "See? another Christian cant take it" fires, but anyone who reads this with an open mind will see it for what it was.

You may want to rethink your "rational responders" tag though. Appears to me to be another form of the very thing you accuse Christians of being; namely closed minded, obnoxious and unwilling to discuss things without attacking people.

Have a good one!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Apparently quoting

Apparently quoting scripture is taken as insulting and a form of attacking a christian even within their own perception.

You may want to rethink your idea that humanity gets morality from the bible.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, docflash1225!

We'd like to get to know you a little better. When you get a minute, we'd love it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourself.