Help design a new logo for FreeThoughtPedia.com

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Help design a new logo for FreeThoughtPedia.com

Hey everybody,

I want to do a new logo for FreethoughtPedia.com the atheist debate wiki and bible debunking encyclopedia.

Here's the current logo:

The specs are:

135x135 pixels

.png or .gif format (png preferred)

transparent background, preferably something that will blend easily into the grey-white background of the standard wiki skin.

Even though the graphic image above has been heavily modified, it is not totally original and we want to avoid any issues of being accused of appropriating someone else's work (like *cough* WOTM *cough*). So I'd like to do something new. If we get enough entries I can post a poll and we can see who likes which logo the best.

Personally, I like the crocoduck so bonus points might be given for coming up with our own original crocoduck, maybe a caricature? But any free-thinking theme is also definitely encouraged. There may be something totally awesome that works much better.. besides, do we want to bother with creationist arguments all day when there's more important, meaningful theist claims to debunk?

Whoever comes up with the best logo will get $50 via Paypal!

Additional (not required but appreciated) parameters:

Try to make the logo as professional and slick as possible. A good logo is simple, yet powerful and can be seen clearly in any size.

Make a higher-res version so we can use it in a variety of other places such as advertisements and such. Bonus points given for an entire "ad campaign" which might consist of other stylized elements, special fonts, etc. Masters can be provided in .PSD and should be at least 500 pixels wide/high.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
A brain chained to two

A brain chained to two pillars one labled creation the other science, pulling the pillars down a la samson from the bible

magilum
User is offlineOffline
<a

It's an escape symbol. The connotations should be obvious: freedom from the arbitrary confines of religious thought; shedding the insistence of dogma so that real truth may be pursued.

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: It's an

magilum wrote:

It's an escape symbol. The connotations should be obvious: freedom from the arbitrary confines of religious thought; shedding the insistence of dogma so that real truth may be pursued.

Wow that is awesome. I'd say that's almost perfect. It inspires me to wonder about a few variations on that theme. Like what if the symbol was the head on a stick figure made by putting it on top of a cross?   Very cool...

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been learning a little

I've been learning a little bit about branding so I thought I'd throw this in:  Think, too, about keeping lines bold enough that they can be embroidered on shirts or hats if necessary.

Keep it as simple as possible.  Users should be able to glance quickly and recognize the logo without having to stop and actually look at it.

Here is a webpage of nothing but logos.  You can glance through it and recognize most of them without thinking.

Always keep the aspect ratio the same.

If there will be text, use a font that compliments what the group represents.  (e.g. you wouldn't want to use one that looks like a child's handwriting)

Here is a pretty good article on creating branding. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I've been

Susan wrote:

I've been learning a little bit about branding so I thought I'd throw this in: Think, too, about keeping lines bold enough that they can be embroidered on shirts or hats if necessary.

Keep it as simple as possible. Users should be able to glance quickly and recognize the logo without having to stop and actually look at it.

Here is a webpage of nothing but logos. You can glance through it and recognize most of them without thinking.

Always keep the aspect ratio the same.

If there will be text, use a font that compliments what the group represents. (e.g. you wouldn't want to use one that looks like a child's handwriting)

Here is a pretty good article on creating branding.

That's excellent advice Susan!  I hope more people will contribute to this friendly competition here.. 

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
By the way,

By the way, FreeThoughtPedia now has permission from Dan Barker and the Freedom From Religion Foundation to use their "nontracts" content on our site! This is wonderful news as Dan's well-written critical pieces will make a wonderful addition - and he has encouraged us to take them and improve upon them further.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a couple ideas I can

Here's a couple ideas I can refine and reformat if they're accepted.

Gadren
Gadren's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: It's an

magilum wrote:

Wow!  I know I'm really new here, but I wanted to post and say how great of a logo that is... I sometimes get the sense that people think that a logo/brand is something really complex and fancy, but you seem to truly "get it" -- that logos need to be simple and somewhat abstract.

Speaking of logos, I supported the "null set" symbol for atheists a while back for the same reasons.  And I really have a habit of liking simple logos; here's an image I made for a fictional rational society I made up (I didn't hotlink it because I didn't want anyone to think it was a submission for this wiki). 

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read; and in so living as to make the world happier for our living in it." -Pliny the Elder

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't have photoshop, and

I don't have photoshop, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it, haha.

So I'm basically just going for concepts here. This is a logo prototype I made in a very sophisticated image editor called MS Paint.

Yoinked the escape logo and slapped it on a head.

I know. Very original. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought there would be

I thought there would be more submissions.  Surely there are more of you out there who can come up with ideas?  Anyone else before I make a decision?

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I'll give this another

Ok, I'll give this another week before making a decision. I thought there might be more submissions, but there's still some good work to choose from.

Just so you know, even at this early juncture, http://FreeThoughtPedia.com/ is on average serving more than FORTY THOUSAND UNIQUE VISITORS PER WEEK (40,000 unique hosts!). Traffic is growing on an insane level and we have a number of diligent people contributing to the site. Thanks for all the support!

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congrats to Magilum!

Congratulations to Magilum for winning the logo contest. We've incorporated his design on the web site, and he's been sent $50 via Paypal... cha ching!

I want to thank EVERYONE who contributed.  All the designs were very nice! 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Thanks! =)

Thanks! =)