(Not so) new member ^^

el.kundo
User is offlineOffline
(Not so) new member ^^

Hi folks!

I finally sat down to write this little introductory post (cheers, susan!) after hearing almost every single free show on your site and being a member for 4 weeks now.

I'm a student of physics from germany (so any spelling error must be forgiven!) and at the moment I'm passing my first diploma exams. My special interests are theoretical solid state physics and physics of many particle quantum systems.

I've always been an atheist and never had any profounding contact with religious costums. some theists may say, I'm only an atheist because I was brought up to be one ^^

So religion never played a role in my life and my interests in physics and any other natural science grew early.

I always new, that the claims religious people make are (to me) obviously against common sense and along with my scientific education I realised that they are simply unnessesary assumptions that don't explain anything. I could never understand why so many people in the 20th and 21st century can hold such beliefs when there is no reason to do so.

I got into the atheist-theist discussions, when I first heard of richard dawkins and The God Delusion.

Since then I liked his systematic and polite way of reasoning against the existence of any supernatural being and also got interested in the historic roots and motivations of religion. I also like Sam Harris for his unshakeable patience and Christopher Hitchens for his directness (though I don't agree with his view on the war in irak) I must admit I do really like to read and listen to the "debunking-sessions" that are called open debates, when RD, SM or CH are facing believers.

So I finally found the rational respond squad site and decided I had to join the forums to post some comments.

Hope we'll have some nice discussions!

"And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts."
Billy Joel, 1993

And God spoke: You can stand under my umberella -ella -ella -eh -eh -eh ...

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums!!

Welcome to the forums!!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
An official welcome,

An official welcome, el.dundo!

You're in good company with your physics studies and we look forward to your contributions to the discussions.  We have some very knowledgeable folks around here, so you'll fit right in.

We're really glad you're here!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

el.kundo
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, so am I

Thanks, so am I Smiling

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!  I, too, find it

Welcome!  I, too, find it ironic that theists will claim people like you are only atheists because you brought up that way, but when you reverse that argument they do not understand that they are only theists because they were brought up that way.  I was not brought up atheist so I get the pleasure of hearing their other argument - I hate god.  LOL