Documentary linking Darwinism with Hitler

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Documentary linking Darwinism with Hitler

More ignorant bullshit,not sure if I should laugh at it or cry

http://www.coralridge.org/darwin/connection.asp?ID=crm&ec=I1301

Ann Coulter is stunned. How is it, she asks, that she could go through 12 years of public school, then college and law school, and still not know that it was Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution that fueled Hitler’s ovens.

“I never knew about the link between Darwin and Hitler until after reading Richard Weikart’s book,” said Coulter, a popular conservative columnist and a featured expert on the new Coral Ridge Hour documentary, Darwin’s Deadly Legacy, which airs August 25 and 26. Hitler, she said, “was applying Darwinism. He thought the Aryans were the fittest and he was just hurrying natural selection along.”

Coulter is among those who appear on Darwin’s Deadly Legacy, a disturbing look at the historical impact of the theory of evolution and the shaky scientific ground on which it rests.

Other guests on the program include Richard Weikart, author of From Darwin to Hitler, Lee Strobel, author of The Case for a Creator; Jonathan Wells, author of Icons of Evolution; Phillip Johnson, author of Darwin on Trial; Michael Behe, author of Darwin’s Black Box, and Ian Taylor, author of In the Minds of Men. “Among German historians, there’s really not much debate about whether or not Hitler was a social Darwinist,” said Weikart. “He clearly was drawing on Darwinian ideas.”

No Darwin, No Hitler

“To put it simply, no Darwin, no Hitler,” said Dr. Kennedy, the host of Darwin’s Deadly Legacy. “Hitler tried to speed up evolution, to help it along, and millions suffered and died in unspeakable ways because of it.”

But the social fallout from evolution has not been limited to Hitler. Eugenics, the idea that social engineers should monitor and manage choices to marry and have children, is the intellectual offspring of evolution. Darwin’s own cousin, Francis Galton, coined the term and campaigned for using human genetics as a means to breed a superior breed of humanity.

Eugenics took root in America in the early twentieth century—some 33 states adopted forced sterilization programs to prevent the “feeble-minded” and other “defectives” from reproducing. Planned Parenthood is a direct result of the eugenics movement in America. Its founder, Margaret Sanger, believed in removing what she called “the dead weight of human waste.” “Eugenics is applied Darwinism,” said Coulter. “And it sticks out like a sore thumb that all of these German eugenicists preceding the Nazi regime were enthusiastic Darwinists.”

Evolution is taught in every public school in America, and not without consequences, as Darwin’s Deadly Legacy documents. Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 people and themselves in the worst school shooting in U.S. history. Their goal was to bring death to more than 500. Harris wrote on his website, “YOU KNOW WHAT I LOVE??? Natural SELECTION! It’s the best thing that ever happened to the Earth. Getting rid of all the stupid and weak organisms.”

The autopsy report for Harris revealed that on the day of the attack, he wore a T-shirt emblazoned with the words “Natural Selection.” Harris and Klebold, who planned their rampage for a year, paid homage to their hero, Adolf Hitler by carrying out their killing spree on April 20, Hitler’s birthday.

Grim Legacy

The legacy of Charles Darwin, Dr. Kennedy said, is “millions of deaths, the destruction of those deemed inferior, the devaluing of human life, and increasing hopelessness.” All this from a theory based on a crumbling scientific foundation—as the special makes plain.

“The time has come,” Dr. Kennedy said, “to recognize that evolution is a bad idea and should be, frankly, discarded into the dustbin of history.”

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
“The time has come,”

“The time has come,” Dr. Kennedy said, “to recognize that evolution is a bad idea and should be, frankly, discarded into the dustbin of history.”

And replace it with what, Intelligent Design?  

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone needs to point out

Someone needs to point out where in "The Origin of Species" that Darwin advocates using the Theory of Evolution as a moral guideline. I must have missed that part.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
These people are dumbasses.

These people are dumbasses. Darwin never promoted SOCIAL Darwinism. He even said in a civilized society survival of the fittest would stop.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wrote to them about their

I wrote to them about their absurd notion that Darwin was responsible for the Nazis hatred of Jews since people were hating and slaughtering Jews generations before Darwin came along.  This is their response:

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. However, it seems you are confused because at no point does the documentary argue that no one hated the Jews before Darwin. Perhaps you should watch the documentary, or watch it again if you have already watched it, to help alleviate your nescience.

In Christ,

Will Partner

Communications

Coral Ridge Ministries Media, Inc.www.coralridge.org

I mentioned to the Martin Luther who had a plan with combatting Jews in his work "On the Jews and their Lies".  It was quite apparent in their promotion of the video that the Holocaust would have been unthinkable if it wasn't for Darwin.  So I must assume they were lying to me.   

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: Someone

stillmatic wrote:

Someone needs to point out where in "The Origin of Species" that Darwin advocates using the Theory of Evolution as a moral guideline. I must have missed that part.

He didn't. But, just as moderate theists provide cover for the radical fringe, so does Darwin's main thesis.

Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is so absurd it's

This is so absurd it's almost beyond words. How is it that in the 21st century intelligent people can believe such utter nonsense? People who dismiss the scientific facts of evolution are either delusional, psychotic, or morons. And to suggest that Darwinism results in murderous governments is asinine.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
The third reich was riddled

The third reich was riddled with anti-science, occultism and various loopy theorists.  Little room for Darwin there.

Ms. Coulter is far too modest.  She has done much more to continue traditions springing from the third reich.  Her roots reach back.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
stillmatic wrote:

He didn't. But, just as moderate theists provide cover for the radical fringe, so does Darwin's main thesis.

It only provides cover if you have a poor understanding of evolution. Eugenic's is just a code word for bigotry and racism, because evolution has no end goal.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

[MOD EDIT - duplicate post removed]

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic

stillmatic wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
stillmatic wrote:

It only provides cover if you have a poor understanding of evolution. Eugenic's is just a code word for bigotry and racism, because evolution has no end goal.

That's pretty much my point. Such a sweeping generalization about Darwinism is absurd. But just such sweeping generalizations are made when linking extremism to moderate or liberal theists. 

yngve
atheistHigh Level Donor
yngve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, this is something of

Well, this is something of an extended strawman fallacy of hitherto unknown proportions. And it's also staggeringly wrong if one shall take wikipedias take on the subject seriously:

"Hitler believed in Arthur de Gobineau's ideas of struggle for survival between the different races, among which the "Aryan race"—guided by "Providence"—was supposed to be the torchbearers of civilization and the Jews as enemies of all civilization. Whether his anti-semitism was influenced by older Christian ideas remains disputed."

Anyway, I think one cannot blame any theory within science for atrocities conducted by man. The mere line of thought that leads up to any such conclusion shows a stunning display of inanity and simplistic infantile reasoning.

And so, I can only retort (not to Bigg, but the ones responsible for the hogwash "documentary" Eye-wink) in the way Monty Python would:

I blow my nose at you and fart in the general direction of the utterers of this silly, silly nonsense. And your mother stink of elderberries!

If any christian is sure that rapture is imminient, I'll be happy to receive their worldly goods, thus ensuring that said theist don't have trouble with the camel, rich man and eye of a needle problem.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: That's

wavefreak wrote:
That's pretty much my point. Such a sweeping generalization about Darwinism is absurd. But just such sweeping generalizations are made when linking extremism to moderate or liberal theists.

But Darwin advanced human knowledge. The same can't be said for most religious texts.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yet more idiocy!! I'm glad

Yet more idiocy!! I'm glad to say that such a show wouldn't go to air in Britain.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Ann Coulter is

Quote:

Ann Coulter is stunned. How is it, she asks, that she could go through 12 years of public school, then college and law school, and still not know that it was Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution that fueled Hitler’s ovens.

Godwin's rule FTL

Quote:

“I never knew about the link between Darwin and Hitler until after reading Richard Weikart’s book,” said Coulter, a popular conservative columnist and a featured expert on the new Coral Ridge Hour documentary, Darwin’s Deadly Legacy, which airs August 25 and 26. Hitler, she said, “was applying Darwinism. He thought the Aryans were the fittest and he was just hurrying natural selection along.”

Actually, it was much more likely he was applying Naziism, but that's just me.

Quote:

Coulter is among those who appear on Darwin’s Deadly Legacy, a disturbing look at the historical impact of the theory of evolution and the shaky scientific ground on which it rests.

What shaky grounds?  

Quote:

Other guests on the program include Richard Weikart, author of From Darwin to Hitler, Lee Strobel, author of The Case for a Creator; Jonathan Wells, author of Icons of Evolution; Phillip Johnson, author of Darwin on Trial; Michael Behe, author of Darwin’s Black Box, and Ian Taylor, author of In the Minds of Men. “Among German historians, there’s really not much debate about whether or not Hitler was a social Darwinist,” said Weikart. “He clearly was drawing on Darwinian ideas.”

Once again, he was drawing them from Naziism.

Quote:

No Darwin, No Hitler

“To put it simply, no Darwin, no Hitler,” said Dr. Kennedy, the host of Darwin’s Deadly Legacy. “Hitler tried to speed up evolution, to help it along, and millions suffered and died in unspeakable ways because of it.”

No Nazis, no Hitler. 

Quote:

But the social fallout from evolution has not been limited to Hitler. Eugenics, the idea that social engineers should monitor and manage choices to marry and have children, is the intellectual offspring of evolution. Darwin’s own cousin, Francis Galton, coined the term and campaigned for using human genetics as a means to breed a superior breed of humanity.

Hitler was not a genetist.

Quote:

Eugenics took root in America in the early twentieth century—some 33 states adopted forced sterilization programs to prevent the “feeble-minded” and other “defectives” from reproducing. Planned Parenthood is a direct result of the eugenics movement in America. Its founder, Margaret Sanger, believed in removing what she called “the dead weight of human waste.” “Eugenics is applied Darwinism,” said Coulter. “And it sticks out like a sore thumb that all of these German eugenicists preceding the Nazi regime were enthusiastic Darwinists.”

Godwin's rule FTMFL.

Hitler also supported freeways. 

Quote:

Evolution is taught in every public school in America, and not without consequences, as Darwin’s Deadly Legacy documents. Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 people and themselves in the worst school shooting in U.S. history. Their goal was to bring death to more than 500. Harris wrote on his website, “YOU KNOW WHAT I LOVE??? Natural SELECTION! It’s the best thing that ever happened to the Earth. Getting rid of all the stupid and weak organisms.”

Harris and Klebold had serious mental health issues.

Quote:

The autopsy report for Harris revealed that on the day of the attack, he wore a T-shirt emblazoned with the words “Natural Selection.” Harris and Klebold, who planned their rampage for a year, paid homage to their hero, Adolf Hitler by carrying out their killing spree on April 20, Hitler’s birthday.

If he was wearing a Sailor Moon shirt, would you blame her?

Quote:

Grim Legacy

The legacy of Charles Darwin, Dr. Kennedy said, is “millions of deaths, the destruction of those deemed inferior, the devaluing of human life, and increasing hopelessness.” All this from a theory based on a crumbling scientific foundation—as the special makes plain.

Actually that is the legacy of Nazisism. I don't know how hard this is to understand.

Quote:

Actually Creationism is a worst idea than evolution since it produces irogant pricks like you. 

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are some assertions

There are some assertions that are so breathtakingly stupid that all one can do is gape in awe.

*Gapes*

Anyone feel like going back to them and pointing out that, according to the bible, Moses is the first recorded person to commit genocide?

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are still people out

There are still people out there who take Mann Coulter seriously? I mean, come on!

Coulter, would you please stop with the Godwins already? Hitler wore clothes - do you sugest that everyone go around naked?

And I'm not the only one who wants "her" to stop with this bullshit (and I use the term "her" loosely) -

Even Hitler wants Coulter to stop!

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bigg wrote: More ignorant

Bigg wrote:

It wasn't. It was a bastardization of his ideas, called Eugenics, that the Nazis relied upon... If they actually read Darwin they'd learn that the concept of a master race is neither advocated by evolutionary theory, nor Nietzsche for that matter.

If want to find a real motive force for Nazism, look no further than the German Lutheran church:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/hitler_and_martin_luther

Coulter can take that irony and shove it in her pipe.

Whichever pipe she likes.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Bigg

todangst wrote:
Bigg wrote:

It wasn't. It was a bastardization of his ideas, called Eugenics, that the Nazis relied upon... If they actually read Darwin they'd learn that the concept of a master race is neither advocated by evolutionary theory, nor Nietzsche for that matter.

If want to find a real motive force for Nazism, look no further than the German Lutheran church:

Coulter can take that irony and shove it in her pipe.

Whichever pipe she likes.

you have hear of the confessing church right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessing_Church

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: you

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

you have hear of the confessing church right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessing_Church

Too little, much too late. Millions of jews died in the holocaust, the concept of castigating Jews is a christian concept, christians were burning jews 6 centuries before Hitler was born.

The nazis considered Martin Luther the first Fuhrer of the reich.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was nothing scientific

There was nothing scientific about social Darwinism. It was nothing more that an ideology justified by ignorant people who wanted to further there own views and prejudices. They tried to take a scientific issue and apply to a non-biological context in a non-scientific way. Other than having Darwinism in the title there is virtually nothing that relates between the two. For example, among other things, social Darwinism is based around social progress (i.e. making humans "bette" ), whereas evolution only talks about progress in the form of a species being better adapted for its environment, it doesn’t mean the newer species are better than the previous.
See this link: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolphil/social.html

What is interesting is one of the main originators of social Darwinism, Herbert Spencer, started to formulate his ideas before Origin of the Species was published!

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Has anyone actually seen

Has anyone actually seen this parody of a documentary?  Plato was the first person who can be credited with the concept of Eugenics since he thought reproduction should be controlled by the state to create a better breed of people.  The Bible mentions the breeding of animals to produce certain characteristics.  Why doesn't this fundy organization claim that Plato and the Bible lead to the Nazi death camps?

Monarchs constantly referred to their royal blood line and didn't want to breed with common folk.  This was well before Darwin.  Did royalty lead to Hitler's camps?  Probably no mention in the documentary.

One major problem is that Darwin never wrote about eugenics, he wrote about natural selection.  Darwin wasn't even the inventor of the concept of evolution.  Lamarkian evolution could have been used by Hitler just as much as Darwinian evolution.

What's even more ironic is that Ann Coulter is a fascist giving commentary against actions of a fascist government.  Really, Coral Ridge Ministries doesn't know what they are talking about but when it is news that fundies are a bunch of lying cons? 

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
See coulter get owned in

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: See coulter

Classic!  I'm sure she would have stood with Prescott Bush during the attempt to overthrow FDR and establish a fascist government.

http://www.cobbonline.com/1933coup.html

mAnn Coulter, isn't he still going through those legal troubles associated with voter fraud? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anne Coulter is a nutcase

Anne Coulter is a nutcase and her cunt probably smells like a fish that was left in a hot attic for a year.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
My imediate reaction to

My imediate reaction to this would be so say

"So what? It still does not in any way invalidate Evolution. Its still just as right regardless of how Hitler abused the idea."

We might as well blame Newton for Hitler as well. Because I'm fairly certain history would be completely different without Netwons ideas. But why stop there?

What about the cunt that invented wheel hey? No wheels, no Tanks, no blitzkreig no Hitler right? I say we ditch the wheel and return to a wheeless society its obviously far to dangerous an idea!!!

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:

Brilliant.

See her get the Henry Rollins treatment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgSBhlw-o9E

[MOD EDIT - fixed link] 

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hitler's motivation for

Hitler's motivation for killing the Jews in Europe is linked to Christianity.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
IRT The whole

IRT The whole concept: 

The application or consequence of a fact does not change it's
existance in reality.

'Nuff said...

Then again, these are people who value feelings and emotions higer than evidence to judge factual 'worth' of something.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Raki wrote: Hitler's

Raki wrote:

Just stop right there. No, really because all you're going to end up doing is proving you know f**k all about modern history and political ideology.

And don't even think of quote mining Mein Kampf either. Seriously.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote:Raki

The Patrician wrote:

Raki wrote:

Just stop right there. No, really because all you're going to end up doing is proving you know f**k all about modern history and political ideology.

I was speaking of the Christans that blame the Jews for the murder of Jesus. Many Christians i know blame them.

EDIT: I should have clarified what i said earlier. There are particular brands of Christianity that promote hatred of the Jews. That is what i was speaking of.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: Raki

The Patrician wrote:

Raki wrote:

You are aware that Luther, specifically his work On the Jew and their Lies, was a large basis behind the Holocaust, right?

See this essay of todangst's http://www.rationalresponders.com/hitler_and_martin_luther

Also see this:
"The prevailing scholarly view[8] since the Second World War is that the treatise exercised a major and persistent influence on Germany's attitude toward its Jewish citizens in the centuries between the Reformation and the Holocaust . Four hundred years after it was written, the National Socialists displayed On the Jews and their LiesNuremberg rallies, and the city of Nuremberg presented a first edition to Julius Streicher, editor of the Nazi newspaper during Der Stürmer, the newspaper describing it as the most radically antisemitic tract ever published.[9] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: Raki

The Patrician wrote:

Raki wrote:

You're doing a great job of that yourself:

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst, you're wrong.

todangst, you're wrong. Sorry, but you are - to ascribe Christianity as reflected in Luther's writings as a major cause of the Holocaust is just madness. And Topher - you should really check your sources and not rely on the incorrect work of others.

Hitler's political ideology was to achieve power by influencing the German populace to adopt national socialism as a doctrine. Whilst it's true the Nazis used quotes mined from Luther's works they also used a lot of other primary sources to cultivate anti-semitic beliefs - the propaganda film Der Ewige Jude is a classic example: Jews were portrayed as filthy creatures deicated to a life of sloth and hedonism as opposed to the clean life of the Aryan. During the film they are constantly referred to as rats and actually shown as sub-human creatures. They are also charged with trying to destroy the Western way of life.

Viet Harlan's Jud Suss is another example of anti-semitic propoganda. The protagonist is portrayed as uttelry loathsome. This film was considerably more succseful in stirring up anti-semitic hatred than Der Ewige Jude was but the main point of the films is this:

They're hardly concerned with the religious aspect of Judaism at all.

These films are about race, not religion and that's what the Nazi's anti-semitism was founded on - not that they worshiped God in a different way, but that they were a totally different and loathsome species.

That's why I get annoyed when people make poorly thought out and researched statements that Christianity was responsible for the holocaust. Sure, you can say it might be in a peripheral way, but then you could say that atheism is responsible for the Holodomor because it's one of the tenets of Stalinist communism. They're both poorly supported arguments.

I also take the point you make in your article that a lot of scholarly opinion since WWII seems to indicate that Luther's anti-semitism was a contributory factor to the holocaust but that opinion doesn't explain the pogroms prior to Luther's writings or the relative tail off of anti-semitism during the 18th and 19th centuries. Your article quotes a list of historians presenting their view - including Robert Michael who proposes that Luther was obsessed with the Jewish question despite the fact that actually only put a very small amount of anti-semitic literature out - but you do not balance this with the views of Brecht, Hillerbrand and Wallman. Similarly it doesn't address the views of those who believe his writings were merely used to fan the flames rather than being the actual source of the fire.

The last paragraphs of your article then try to draw the fact that Hitler was seens as an almost divine presence into the whole Luther/semitism issue and that's just a red herring. The Protestant League's praise of Hitler - who was at least nominally Catholic - says more about the support and fear he inspired rather than a tie in of beliefs to national socialism.

So Hitler's motivation for killing the Jews is not linked to Christianity. Sure, Christianity is used as a propaganda tool and a catalyst but it's not a motiviation in itself. Those were more akin to racia purity and the overall supremacy of the Aryan race.  Kind of akin to Fischer's Griff nacht der Welmacht - all those Germans looking for their place in the sun. Smiling

I'm afraid that it's precisely because I do understand quite a bit about the prevailing ideology of those dark days that I make the statements I do. I would strongly suggest that you do a bit more research yourself here.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:

todangst, you're wrong.

Actually, you don't even seem to know what my actual position is!  

The point of my essay (please read it again for the first time) isn't that 'christianity caused the holocaust', it is that christianity was responsible for antisemitism in germany, long before there was a nazi party, and, furthermore, Germany had a long history, going back to Luther, of anti semitism.

Hitler didn't have to create scapegoats, the christians invented them for him. He merely called upon them.

Hitler hated jews from his childhood, and blamed them for society's ills from childhood. To argue that christianity is not, in you own words, a catalyst for nazis is simply insane.

Quote:
So Hitler's motivation for killing the Jews is not linked to Christianity.

And I never argue such an inane point.

My point is that Hitler didn't invent antisemitism and that, instead, christianity was responsible for it's existence in germany.

Whether antisemitism waxed and waned over time is incidental, seeing as it continued throughout the centuries in some acceptable form. So this argument is moot, it would not undo Luther's influence.

It's should be pretty obvious to you that christianity is a culprit in antisemitism.

Quote:

Sure, Christianity is used as a propaganda tool and a catalyst but it's not a motiviation in itself.

One more time: christians created and instigated antisemite persecution in germany. Whether christianity was 'the motivation' for the nazis has no bearing on the matter, because the point isn't that christianity is the cause, its that christianity played a dominant role in the very existence of antisemitism itself..

Quote:

That's why I get annoyed when people make poorly thought out and researched statements that Christianity was responsible for the holocaust.

And I get annoyed when someone demonstrates a basic inabilty to actually read what I say, and, instead, replies to a bizzare strawman born of their heated misreadings. I don't blame christianity for the holocaust. I implicate christianity for it's role in creating, furthering and spreading antisemitism.

Some theists attempt to argue that Hitler was an atheist. While this claim is untrue, focusing on Hitler's religious beliefs is actually irrelevant: what matters is that Hitler called upon pre-existent, christian inspired hatred and persecution of Jews, and for this reason, christianity is one of the culprits for the holocaust:

(Please read that carefully. Not the cause, but a culprit, because of their persecution of the jews)

Luther's Racism

The magazine Christian History, Issue 39, 1993 (published by Christianity Today) devoted a whole issue to Martin Luther's life and legacy. Pages 38-39 quote his work On the Jews and Their Lies which gives us an idea about how moral Luther's views were:

"Set fire to their synagogues and schools. Jewish houses should be razed and destroyed, and Jewish prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, curing, and blasphemy are taught, [should] be taken from them." Their rabbis [should] be forbidden to teach on pain of loss of life and limb."

This is a man held to be a moral authority? Luther also urged that "safe conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews," and that "all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them." What Jews could do was to have "a flail, an ax, a hole, a spade" put into their hands so "young, strong Jews and Jewesses" could "earn their bread in the sweat of their brow." Do you think any Fuhrer you may have heard of might have gleaned an idea or two from that last passage alone? In fact, think of Hitler while reading the next paragraph.

Luther proposed seven measures of "sharp mercy" that German princes could take against Jews: (1) burn their schools and synagogues; (2) transfer Jews to community settlements; (3) confiscate all Jewish literature, which was blasphemous; (4) prohibit rabbis to teach, on pain of death; (5) deny Jews safe conduct, so as to prevent the spread of Judaism; (6) appropriate their wealth and use it to support converts and to prevent the Jews' practice of usury; (7) assign Jews to manual labor as a form of penance.

Is there no clearer blueprint for the Final Solution than the works of one of christianity's greatest reformers and moralists?

Worse yet, Luther was no paper philosopher - he advised clergy, their congregations, and all government officials to help carry out these measures. Since most Jews had been expelled from Germany before 1536, Luther's counsel was implemented by few officials. Yet a harsh anti-Jewish measure in 1543 mentioned Luther's On the Jews and Their Lies.

Both Luther's friends and his foes criticized him for proposing these measures. His best friends begged him to stop his anti-Jewish raving, but Luther continued his attacks in other treatises. He repeated as true the worst anti-Semitic charges from medieval literature: that Jews killed Christian babies; they murdered Christ over and over again by stabbing eucharistic hosts; they poised wells. As usual, he did not allow facts to deter him from his emotionally driven lies.

Luther now thought what he had accused Catholics of thinking in 1523: Jews were dogs. "We are at fault for not slaying them!" he fumed shortly before his death. Yet one more hypocricy for the master of hypocrisy.

While my argument does not rely solely on demonstrating that the writings of Luther inspired the holocaust (Instead, it implicates Hitler's use of christianity's long history of christian persecution of jews), the following passages come from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_and_the_Jews help demonstrate Luther's role in the holocaust.

(Please again read what I actually say)

British historian Paul Johnson has called On the Jews and their Lies the "first work of modern anti-Semitism, and a giant step forward on the road to the Holocaust." (Johnson, A History of the Jews, p. 242.)

While some Lutherans deny the charge, the Nazis did cite Luther's treatise to justify the Final Solution (Egil Grislis, "Martin Luther and the Jews," Consensus 27 (2001) No. 1:64.).

The line of "anti-Semitic descent" from Luther to Hitler is "easy to draw," according to American historian Lucy Dawidowicz. In her "The War Against the Jews, 1933-1945", she writes that both Luther and Hitler were obsessed by the "demonologized universe" inhabited by Jews, with Hitler asserting that the later Luther, the author of On the Jews and Their Lies was the 'real Luther'.

Professor Robert Michael, Professor Emeritus of European History at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, has argued that Luther scholars who try to tone down Luther's views on the Jews ignore the murderous implications of his antisemitism. Michael argues that there is a "strong parallel" between Luther's ideas and the anti-Semitism of most German Lutherans throughout the Holocaust. Like the Nazis, Luther mythologized the Jews as evil, he writes. They could be saved only if they converted to Christianity, but their hostility to the idea made it inconceivable (Robert Michael, "Luther, Luther Scholars, and the Jews," Encounter 46:4 (Autumn 1985), pp. 339-56.).

Luther's sentiments were widely echoed in the Germany of the 1930s, particularly within the Nazi party. Hitler's Education Minister, Bernhard Rust, was quoted by the Völkischer Beobachter as saying that: "Since Martin Luther closed his eyes, no such son of our people has appeared again. It has been decided that we shall be the first to witness his reappearance ... I think the time is past when one may not say the names of Hitler and Luther in the same breath. They belong together; they are of the same old stamp [Schrot und Korn]" (Volkischer Beobachter, August 25, 1933 cited in Steigmann-Gall, Richard. The Holy Reich: Nazi Conceptions of Christianity, 1991-1945. Cambridge University Press, 2003, pp. 136-7.).

Hans Hinkel, leader of the Luther League's magazine Deutsche Kultur-Wacht, and of the Berlin chapter of the Kampfbund, paid tribute to Luther in his acceptance speech as head of both the Jewish section and the film department of Goebbel's Chamber of Culture and Propaganda Ministry. "Through his acts and his spiritual attitude, he began the fight which we will wage today; with Luther, the revolution of German blood and feeling against alien elements of the Volk was begun. To continue and complete his Protestantism, nationalism must make the picture of Luther, of a German fighter, live as an example above the barriers of confession for all German blood comrades."
(Steigmann-Gall 2003, p. 137.).

According to Daniel Goldhagen, Bishop Martin Sasse, a leading Protestant churchman, published a compendium Luther's writings shortly after Kristallnacht in which Sasse "applauded the burning of the synagogues and the coincidence of the day, writing in the introduction, "On November 10, 1938, on Luther's birthday, the synagogues are burning in Germany." The German people, he urged, ought to heed these words "of the greatest antisemite of his time, the warner of his people against the Jews." (Bernd Nellessen, "Die schweigende Kirche: Katholiken und Judenverfolgung," in Büttner (ed), Die Deutchschen und die Jugendverfolg im Dritten Reich, p. 265, cited in Daniel Goldhagen, Hitler's Willing Executioners (Vintage, 1997)).

William Nichols, Professor of Religious Studies, recounts, "At his trial in Nuremberg after the Second World War, Julius Streicher, the notorious Nazi propagandist, editor of the scurrilous antisemitic weekly, Der Stürmer, argued that if he should be standing there arraigned on such charges, so should Martin Luther. Reading such passages, it is hard not to agree with him. Luther's proposals read like a program for the Nazis." (William Nichols, Christian Antisemitism: A History of Hate (Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson, 1995), p. 271).

In the course of the Luthertag (Luther Day) festivities, the Nazis emphasized their connection to Luther as being both nationalist revolutionaries and the heirs of the German traditionalist past. An article in the Chemnitzer Tageblatt stated that "[t]he German Volk are united not only in loyalty and love for the Fatherland, but also once more in the old German beliefs of Luther [Lutherglauben]; a new epoch of strong, conscious religious life has dawned in Germany." Richard Steigmann-Gall wrote in his 2003 book The Holy Reich: Nazi Conceptions of Christianity, 1919-1945:

The leadership of the Protestant League espoused a similar view. Fahrenhorst, who was on the planning committee of the Luthertag, called Luther "the first German spiritual Führer" who spoke to all Germans regardless of clan or confession. In a letter to Hitler, Fahrenhorst reminded him that his "Old Fighters" were mostly Protestants and that it was precisely in the Protestant regions of our Fatherland" in which Nazism found its greatest strength. Promising that the celebration of Luther's birthday would not turn into a confessional affair, Fahrenhorst invited Hitler to become the official patron of the Luthertag. In subsequent correspondence, Fahrenhorst again voiced the notion that reverence for Luther could somehow cross confessional boundaries: "Luther is truly not only the founder of a Christian confession; much more, his ideas had a fruitful impact on all Christianity in Germany." Precisely because of Luther's political as well as religious significance, the Luthertag would serve as a confession both "to church and Volk." (Richard Steigmann-Gall, The Holy Reich: Nazi Conceptions of Christianity, 1919-1945, (Cambridge University Press, 2003), p.138.)

A final note: Some historians (unsurprisingly, some are Lutheran) disagree. But without good argument.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst, one one hand you

todangst, one one hand you say:

todangst wrote:
The Patrician wrote:

Raki wrote:

And on the other:

todangst wrote:
The Patrician wrote:
So Hitler's motivation for killing the Jews is not linked to Christianit

On one hand you say I don't know what I'm talking about because I argue that Christianity was not a motivation for the holocaust and on the other you say it's an inane point.

Cake. Eat it. Etc.

The point I've made is that Christianity was not a motiviating factor for the holocaust. I'm not arguing that it wasn't a catalyst because, as we both agree, that would be nuts.

Also nice to see you've changed the link from wiki to on-site.  Saves fishing about I suppose.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:

todangst, one one hand you say:

todangst wrote:
The Patrician wrote:

Raki wrote:

And on the other:

todangst wrote:
The Patrician wrote:
So Hitler's motivation for killing the Jews is not linked to Christianit

On one hand you say I don't know what I'm talking about because I argue that Christianity was not a motivation for the holocaust and on the other you say it's an inane point.

Cake. Eat it. Etc.

No, you'll be eating it. If you're ever able to actually read for comprehension.

I'm not saying that christianity is a cause in the first post you've referenced. What I actually say is that you're doing a great job of fucking up history yourself. You use the word "link" and not 'cause', christianity is certainly linked to the holocaust, while not a direct cause. Nothing in my post argues that christianity is a direct cause of the holocaust. Something you'd know if you could actually read my linked (not 'caused', see?) post for comprehension.

In the second post, you used the word "link" as a synonym for cause, so I agreed it was not a cause.

So again, for something like the fourth time, we agree that christianity is linked to the holocaust, a catalyst, but not a cause.

That's four posts where I've told you this. How many more do you need? Just let me know now, so I can just save time:

we agree

we agree

we agree

we agree

can you just copy and paste that until it sinks in? thanks. 

You need to look at your own sloppy reading comprehension and your own sloppy use of terms.... you base assumptions on poor comprehension.

I've made my actual point over and over, and you agree with it.

I think you really, seriously need to ask more questions before you leap into things with your assumptions. We are agreeing, but it's taken you about 10 posts to work this out.

Quote:

The point I've made is that Christianity was not a motiviating factor for the holocaust. I'm not arguing that it wasn't a catalyst because, as we both agree, that would be nuts.

This has always been my argument, something you'd know if you could read a post without leaping to conclusions.

I look forward to you writing again to argue how we disagree, while proving that we actually agree. In fact, why don't we begin 10 more threads?

We agree

we agree

we are on the same side

we agree.

we agree

we agree

we agree

we agree

Why do I KNOW that I'll have to make these identical points yet again?

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: You're

todangst wrote:

Excellent.  Since we agree I'll take that as confirmation that your above quote was ill thought out then.

Move along.  Nothing to see here. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:
todangst wrote:

Excellent. Since we agree I'll take that as confirmation that your above quote was ill thought out then.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

No, it's accurate seeing as there is a link. There just isn't a direct cause between christianity, or the Lutheran church and the holocaust.

But we do agree in the end. Or I should say, we agreed all along on the nature of the link.