It's funny i'm a atheist. Aka, I hate Night Terrors.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's funny i'm a atheist. Aka, I hate Night Terrors.

I always wondered how I turned out to be an atheist, even at a young age. I grew up in a theist family, strongly theist, and to make it worse I had what theists would call "personal evidence" for the spiritual side. However it was horrifying "evidence". It's called night terrors, and ever since I was 4 up to 12 I had them frequently. They slowed down and I might get one every month or a few months to this day, I'm 18 if your wondering. A night terror, or pavor nocturnus is essentially the worst experience I have ever had, and hope to ever have. The only way I can explain such an event is like bringing a night mare towards reality. The last time I had one was last night in fact, which made me want to write this.

Laying asleep, I wake up, however something is wrong. My eyes are wide open, I have dull and slow movements in my head, I know I'm awake, however it still feels like I'm asleep. My arms feel heavy, moving them even a little bit is difficult. However even now only a few seconds pass, still trying to move I see somewhat run by at the bottom of my bed. Scared I try to get out of bed, yet I can't move. Being in a state of half consciousness your mind is still projecting a dream. I move my head to the right and a face appears only for a second to scream at me, a face that reminds me of a movie I watched a week ago, from Rose Red. A hand grabs my neck, I scream and the hand goes away for some reason, I see many black figure run around at the bottom of the bed, then it starts to go away, I get more movements and the my room stabilizes. It's not blurry, the black figures stop. Getting up I still run for the lights, and I run for the nearest weapon. I still search around the room, I know I'm not going to find anything. No matter how many times I have went threw a night terror it never gets less real, no matter how much I try to fight the idea it's not real it still seems real. 

This brings me to atheism, seeing is believing for most people, yet I still turned out atheist. I was brought up catholic, had "demons" plague me nightly for years, yet I still ended up rationalizing the world and realizing it was not real. Of course with the night terrors not alone, I did go to doctors, however nothing really helped me much. Anyway I guess the reason I made this is, does anyone else have similar experiences? Does anyone else suffer from night terrors etc~?

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Oh my goodness.  I have

Oh my goodness.  I have read about night terrors, but never met anyone who has had them.  That dream sounds horrific, and makes me cringe, because I recently have been suffering from nightmares that manage to make somewhat of a bridge to reality.

The other night I broke my finger on my bed during a nightmare.  My brother was next to me (in my dream, not in the bed lol) antagonizing me, and I lashed out to strike him, only to wake up yelling "FUUUCK" with a throbbing pain in my right finger and hand.

I also had a monkey try to shoot me with a revolver the other day after my parachute got stuck in a tree in Sub-Saharan Africa. When he stuck the barrel in my mouth, I violently jerked my head away, almost severly straining a muscle in my neck.  I woke up and grabbed my throbbing neck yelling "FUCKING MONKEY!!!" Damn skydiving dreams...

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahh yes Night Terrors...I

Ahh yes Night Terrors...I believe they are also called Hypnogogic Hullicinations? Or something like that...but yeah I've had em. They are definately not fun either. Hell one time I slept in my closet because I thought there we spikes coming out of my bed.

The best ones are when you start having conversations with the hullicination. But most of the time they are just like what you described. Though I really didn't start having this problem until about a few years ago (24 now). They aren't as frequent but I will have the occasionall little goblin in my bedroom.

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like an experience

Sounds like an experience alright. It was actually entertaining to read about it James. Ever thinking about turning them into short stories?

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have had partially this a

I have had partially this a couple times.

I have woken upp only to find i cant move my body.

I never had any wision or figures or continued dream though, only the movement thing.

Guess its not that scary when its only the inability to move but still not funn.

Aparently the experiance can wary. most stories I have heard have some figure apearing. And I hear the fenomenon has been the origin of many a folk tale. People seing ghosts, death, a witch, an alien etc.

Some say its one of the causes of many an alian abduction story.

Since I havent seen any figures in my experiances I guess I dont have that cind of imagination or superstition that is required to conjure up a nightmare.

Come to think about it I havent had a nightmare for years. Guess I dont have what it takes. 

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parently I could be talking

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Out of curiosity, when you

Out of curiosity, when you dream, do you realize that you are dreaming sometimes? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz wrote:   Does

James Cizuz wrote:
  Does anyone else suffer from night terrors etc~?

I do, although mine are not as dreamlike as yours. I typically wake up in a blinding panic, convinced that something/someone is chasing me. Then I throw off my covers and flail around trying to turn on my bedside lamp. I seldom have enough coordination to actually turn it on, though. Then I jump out of bed and run out of the room. By the time I get to the hallway, I'm usually awake, although once I ran headfirst into my bedroom door while still semi-conscious.  

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz -Yes, I've been

James Cizuz -Yes, I've been there. That was when I used to think aliens were abducting me.

I got em' to go away though and had not had the problem since.

Sometimes during the day though when I nap, I sometimes will be awake but my body will still be asleep, but nothing scary happens. After a few seconds, I always get out of it.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to suffer from these

I used to suffer from these frequently for years.  They started when I was a pre-teen.  I would actually end up hurting myself sometimes while I was sleeping.  It was really awful and I remember forcing myself to stay awake so I wouldn't have to experience it again.  I believe the last time I had one was about 3 years ago, so hopefully they have gone away for good.  Incidentally, sleep issues run in my family so I have to wonder if its not genetic in some way (both my mother and brother are terrible sleepwalkers and all three of us suffer from insomnia).

So, no you're not alone.  They definitely suck.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrazyRoper wrote: Ahh yes

CrazyRoper wrote:

Ahh yes Night Terrors...I believe they are also called Hypnogogic Hullicinations? Or something like that...but yeah I've had em. They are definately not fun either. Hell one time I slept in my closet because I thought there we spikes coming out of my bed.

The best ones are when you start having conversations with the hullicination. But most of the time they are just like what you described. Though I really didn't start having this problem until about a few years ago (24 now). They aren't as frequent but I will have the occasionall little goblin in my bedroom.

I remember only having conversations a few times. Night terrors for me are based entirely(for the most part) on things I have read, or seen in a movie/game/comic. Thats the worst part for me, because the things that freaked me out in the movies make a comeback, only much more real. What I mean is, ever experience what it is like to know your not dreaming, yet be able to reach out and touch your dream at the same time? Both literal and figuratively. I know in some instances my body is more or less awake in different regions, sometimes I was able to get up and run while things were chasing me, or even as you said, have a conversation, even though very breif. Thankfully night terrors only last 10-60 seconds, even though that time seems like an eternity when your in such a state. I have had one conversation that will stick in my mind for a long time. If you ever seen the movie "evil dead" I woke up and my brother was in the room, I got up and asked him what he was doing, he said nothing, then I asked where the parents were, and his face started to distort as he chanted "They're dead before dawn", and "Your dead before dawn" and I ran into the door, which was open... At least I seen it open when I got up everything was normal.

Voiderest wrote:

Sounds like an experience alright. It was actually entertaining to read about it James. Ever thinking about turning them into short stories?

Writing is not my.... Passion in life as it were. Plus, remembering them all would suck :P 

daveyboy wrote:

James Cizuz wrote:
Does anyone else suffer from night terrors etc~?

I do, although mine are not as dreamlike as yours. I typically wake up in a blinding panic, convinced that something/someone is chasing me. Then I throw off my covers and flail around trying to turn on my bedside lamp. I seldom have enough coordination to actually turn it on, though. Then I jump out of bed and run out of the room. By the time I get to the hallway, I'm usually awake, although once I ran headfirst into my bedroom door while still semi-conscious.

Did the bedroom door seem open? Because when I had one before the door was open, me trying to run away ran into it. Anyway I had a few I just woke up in panic. Not knowing what I was scared of, or what was after me just knowing I needed to run. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!