Have a god

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have a god

It's my belief that every man (woman) has a god. True, some are maybe not as consecrated to their god as others, but they have one (or more).

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh?  Care to elaborate and

Oh?  Care to elaborate and perhaps offer some proof?  What exactly is your definition of 'god' in this sense?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I take it you are saying

I take it you are saying that we all worship something.  At one time I would agree with you, but now that I am in control of my emotions and my mind, I know that I do not(therefore invalidating your claim).

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't. Next question. 

I don't.

Next question. 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It's my belief that

Quote:

It's my belief that every man (woman) has a god.

Then my very existence dictates that your beliefs will need to be revised. Because I do not subscribe in any way to such a silly notion as the god concept.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Then my very existence dictates that your beliefs will need to be revised. Because I do not subscribe in any way to such a silly notion as the god concept.  

Stop speaking truth. I hear it is like wildfire.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Your belief is wrong.

Your belief is wrong.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

It's my belief that every man (woman) has a god. True, some are maybe not as consecrated to their god as others, but they have one (or more).

Someone forgot to tell me that one, because I certainly don't have one.  

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: I take it

xamination wrote:
I take it you are saying that we all worship something. At one time I would agree with you, but now that I am in control of my emotions and my mind, I know that I do not(therefore invalidating your claim).

Xamination,

What about the idea that you are your own god?

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jarem Asyder

Jarem Asyder wrote:

[Someone forgot to tell me that one, because I certainly don't have one.]

What rock are you standing on to make that assertion?

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes] 

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What about the idea

Quote:

What about the idea that you are your own god?

Yeah, I don't subscribe to that one either. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Your

MattShizzle wrote:
Your belief is wrong.

I might be. Maybe there is such a thing as spiritual homelessness.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:   What

mephibosheth wrote:

What rock are you standing on to make that assertion?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. What do I need to stand on to assert I dont have a god? Personally, it would be much harder for me to say I do have a god, since I can't rationally make that assertation and be honest with myself.

And since I'm not omnipotent, omnibenevolent, etc, I'm not my own god. 

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:   I might be.

Quote:

Could you clarify precisely what this term means? 

-Me

Books about atheism

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I realize that I am ignorant

I realize that I am ignorant of many things, imperfect as a person, and probably wrong in my core beliefs.  I try to put others before myself in almost every situation.  Now, I may be wrong, but I do not believe I am worshiping myself. 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Oh?

pariahjane wrote:

Oh? Care to elaborate and perhaps offer some proof? What exactly is your definition of 'god' in this sense?

Would you say there are people that have sport as a god, sacrifice their bodies to it, dedicate time, money, worship, mind space, meditate on, love, bow down to?

Definition - I'm going to have to work on that. Off the cuff I'm going to say the thing in life that is your greatest treasure.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Well, you may be right. I'm not a god, I'm just a guy. What is your greatest treasure?

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Oh? Care to elaborate and perhaps offer some proof? What exactly is your definition of 'god' in this sense?

Would you say there are people that have sport as a god, sacrifice their bodies to it, dedicate time, money, worship, mind space, meditate on, love, bow down to?

Definition - I'm going to have to work on that. Off the cuff I'm going to say the thing in life that is your greatest treasure.

With such vague terms anything can be anything.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: I realize

xamination wrote:
I realize that I am ignorant of many things, imperfect as a person, and probably wrong in my core beliefs. I try to put others before myself in almost every situation. Now, I may be wrong, but I do not believe I am worshiping myself.

Sir, I am stunned to silence by your answer

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Maybe spirituality itself is

Maybe spirituality itself is an irrational precept.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
With such vague terms

Magnus wrote:
With such vague terms anything can be anything. (Magnus)

There is a vagueness about life I agree. It seems we are all trying to sort it all out and come up with the best - at least for ourselves.

I'm not an expert on this idea - I'm looking for counsel or correction if I'm wrong.

It seems however that people can spend just as much time, thought, worship, money, health, hope affection on something as if it is god.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Could you clarify precisely what this term means?

eating out of a dumpster in the spiritual sense

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: eating

mephibosheth wrote:

eating out of a dumpster in the spiritual sense

This is incoherent to someone who does not believe in 'spirits'. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: Would

mephibosheth wrote:

God      /gɒd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[god] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, god·ded, god·ding, interjection –noun

1.the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2.the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3.(lowercase) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4.(often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5.Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
6.(lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
7.(lowercase) any deified person or object.
8.(often lowercase) Gods, Theater.
a.the upper balcony in a theater.
b.the spectators in this part of the balcony.
–verb (used with object)
9.(lowercase) to regard or treat as a god; deify; idolize.
–interjection

(used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?

I'm afraid I disagree whole heartedly with you.

I might have things in my life that are very important to me, but I certainly wouldn't consider them a 'god', especially not in the way god is defined above.  I don't really think a person could consider money a god just because their life revolves around it.  I see the three letters, g-o-d, and I equate them with the definition above.  To try to apply the term to something else just simply cannot work.  

That being said, no, I absolutely do not think that every person has their own god.  

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  BGH wrote: This is

BGH wrote:

This is incoherent to someone who does not believe in 'spirits'. (BGH)

My belief is that just as a man (woman) has a physical body they also have a unseen spiritual body (similar but different). The physical body needs to eat - so does the spiritual body (it eats things like understanding).

Just like the physical body can get sick - so can the spiritual body (such as guilty conscience).

My understanding of this is that if you ignore your spiritual body's hunger - it's still there and gets hungrier and hungrier. It gets to the point it will eat anything - even from a dumpster.

I know you don't believe in this but I wanted to explain my perspective.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: My

mephibosheth wrote:

My understanding of this is that if you ignore your spiritual body's hunger - it's still there and gets hungrier and hungrier. It gets to the point it will eat anything - even from a dumpster.

Isn't it possible that some people do not need spiritual 'food'? Some just lack this craving or "hunger" as you call it. 

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

Magus wrote:

With such vague terms anything can be anything. (Magus)

There is a vagueness about life I agree. It seems we are all trying to sort it all out and come up with the best - at least for ourselves.

I'm not an expert on this idea - I'm looking for counsel or correction if I'm wrong.

It seems however that people can spend just as much time, thought, worship, money, health, hope affection on something as if it is god.

My point was you were saying everyone has a god, yet not defining the term god. That is like me saying "everyone should die and I have the right to kill them", but by "die" I mean be happy and by right "to kill them" I mean " to eat lots of cake".

[Edit: Fixed My quote and my name] 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  pariahjane, We are

pariahjane,

We are talking to each other here about abstract ideas, perspectives, what we see inside, our life experiment and shading the pictures with our own inaccuracies and limited experience - what I'm saying is we're not going to a dictionary to discuss this.  The dictionary admitted a supreme being didn't it?  Yet you use it against my humble offering that perhaps every man or pariahjane has his or her own god.

I haven't made this assertion with any malicious intent, it's just something to consider because we are defining words, deciding decisions, seeing sights, hearing sounds with respect to something.  

My question is - what is it?  Is it our personal God?  Is it our personal library?  Is it our weather of feelings?  Is it the forum we belong to?  Is there a light inside? 

Do we agree that whatever it is we are basing our worldview on we would each like for it to be the best as we see it?  

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: I know

mephibosheth wrote:

I'm sorry, but your perspective has no evidence in support of those assertions. It is therefore irrational for you to hold to such a belief.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

pariahjane,

We are talking to each other here about abstract ideas, perspectives, what we see inside, our life experiment and shading the pictures with our own inaccuracies and limited experience - what I'm saying is we're not going to a dictionary to discuss this. The dictionary admitted a supreme being didn't it? Yet you use it against my humble offering that perhaps every man or pariahjane has his or her own god.

In order to communicate there has to be a basis for these abstract ideas.  The definition is an important platform to start on, if you will.

Yes, part of the definition is supreme being.  Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see how money or sports could be considered a supreme being.  I am only trying to find out what your 'definition' is.

mephibosheth wrote:
I haven't made this assertion with any malicious intent, it's just something to consider because we are defining words, deciding decisions, seeing sights, hearing sounds with respect to something.

My question is - what is it? Is it our personal God? Is it our personal library? Is it our weather of feelings? Is it the forum we belong to? Is there a light inside?

Do we agree that whatever it is we are basing our worldview on we would each like for it to be the best as we see it? 

I understand that you aren't trying to be malicious.  I'm not offended in any way.

What exactly is 'it'?  Why does 'it' have to be a god? Are you asking me if 'it' makes me happy?  Then I will give you examples of what 'it' is.  Yet this has nothing to do with the idea of a god or spirit.  

I base my worldview on what I see and experience.  So of course, it is far from perfect. 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: mephibosheth

KSMB wrote:
mephibosheth wrote:

I'm sorry, but your perspective has no evidence in support of those assertions. It is therefore irrational for you to hold to such a belief.

KSMB,

It is irrational to you but it is rational to me.  It's irrational for you to decide what is rational for me.   

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So is it irrational for you

So is it irrational for you to decide someone who feels spooning ice cream into computers makes them work better is irrational?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: xamination wrote:

Quote:
xamination wrote:
I realize that I am ignorant of many things, imperfect as a person, and probably wrong in my core beliefs. I try to put others before myself in almost every situation. Now, I may be wrong, but I do not believe I am worshiping myself.

Sir, I am stunned to silence by your answer

Uhh.... is that a good thing or a bad thing? 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Ah, the old metaphysical fap

Ah, the old metaphysical fap fap fap thread. It's beneath us all.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: KSMB

mephibosheth wrote:
KSMB wrote:
mephibosheth wrote:

KSMB,

It is irrational to you but it is rational to me. It's irrational for you to decide what is rational for me.

Oh, ok. Listen, while you're out there redefining the English language to suit your purpose, could you redefine the meaning of "loving" so that having two she-bears kill 42 children for calling a prophet bald could be applied to a diety that made it happen? It would make the bible seem less... repugnant.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mattshizzle wrote:
So is it irrational for you to decide someone who feels spooning ice cream into computers makes them work better is irrational?

Matt,

I believe every man/woman has a god. If I'm wrong it's not the end of the world for me. I do have a God.

My honest observation is people treat something as if it were a god. They meditate about it, their heart is focused on it, they learn all they can about it, they sacrifice to it, they put their hopes in it.

Where I am simply going with this is: the object in life is to get the best god - actually, God! We're spiritual day traders.

Mephibosheth

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Magilum wrote: Ah, the

Magilum wrote:

Magilum,

Isn't it easier to label something than think about it and discuss it?

If something is "beneath us all", doesn't that have an air of god speaking about it?

Mephibosheth

[MOD EDiT - fixed quotes] 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, ok. Listen, while

KSMB wrote:
Oh, ok. Listen, while you're out there redefining the English language to suit your purpose, could you redefine the meaning of "loving" so that having two she-bears kill 42 children for calling a prophet bald could be applied to a diety that made it happen? It would make the bible seem less... repugnant.

KSMB

There's a trolling warning on.

There are back stage mysteries to my God as well as yours. My God has the full range of emotions and power. A more to the point question to consider is why would God allow His Own Son to die a torturous death with all the pain and insults fallen man could give.

Mephibosheth

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes.  Also, please leave the trolling comments to the Mod Team.] 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  xamination

xamination wrote:

Xamination,

It stuns me because I see weaknesses and faults in myself too. I am really glad I don't have to trust in myself. That could lead to despair.

Your answer just seemed guile-less. (by the way have you noticed I have found I don't have to use near as many "quote" marks?)

Mephibosheth

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes.  By the way, here is a tutorial on how to use the Quote Function.  Please take advantage of it.  Thanks.] 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:

Matt,

By the way, I think the guy that designed this {quote tag} business thought the same thing.

Mephibosheth

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes.  Please use the Quote Function and save the Mod team some work.  Thanks.] 

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
dah-de-dah-de-dah... Oh,

dah-de-dah-de-dah...

Oh, don't woory about me - I'm just waiting for a response.

*continues to sing to self* 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uhh.... is that a good thing

xamination wrote:

Xamiination,

Sorry, I thought I answered you - must have forgot to push the send button.

I was stunned by the guile-less-ness of your answer. I see weakness and faults in myself. I'm glad I'm not trusting in myself - belly gazing or whatever. I would make a lousy god for myself.

By the way, have you noticed I'm not using near as many "quote" marks?

Mephobisheth

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes again] 

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Xamiination, Sorry,

Quote:

Xamiination,

Sorry, I thought I answered you - must have forgot to push the send button.

I was stunned by the guile-less-ness of your answer.  I see weakness and faults in myself.  I'm glad I'm not trusting in myself - belly gazing or whatever.  I would make a lousy god for myself.

It's alright - we all make mistakes.Wink

You say that you would make a poor God for yourself - you are probably right.  However, if you were to suddenly lose faith in God today, and assuming your thesis is true, who/what would you worship?

Quote:
By the way, have you noticed I'm not using near as many "quote" marks?

Laughing  Dude, that first post was vicious.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
You say that you would make

xamination wrote:
You say that you would make a poor God for yourself - you are probably right. However, if you were to suddenly lose faith in God today, and assuming your thesis is true, who/what would you worship?

I have traded up for this pearl. I got tired of all the others at about 3 weeks - this God gets better and better - now 44 years and going stronger, happier, more exciting......

The question you ask is beyond my imagination. If I would walk off such a cliff I think momentarily I would worship flying.

Mephibosheth

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please do not avoid the

Please do not avoid the question.  I know there is no way to prove the nonexistance of a god outside of our universe except through the presence of another god outside our universe(funny, isn't it), but pretend for the sake of the debate it is.  You KNOW God doesn't exist(this is how most atheists feel).  Since we all worship something, at least according to you, what would it be that you would worship?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
BTW, I am not disagreeing

BTW, I am not disagreeing that people tend to worship something - most do, whether they admit it or not.  I argue the point that all people worship something.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote:

xamination wrote:
Please do not avoid the question. I know there is no way to prove the nonexistance of a god outside of our universe except through the presence of another god outside our universe(funny, isn't it), but pretend for the sake of the debate it is. You KNOW God doesn't exist(this is how most atheists feel). Since we all worship something, at least according to you, what would it be that you would worship?

I went through a "me" period that was pretty powerful as far as deceptive goes. "I've got to be me" - and that in a spiritual sense, I mean I was viewing that as having a spirit identity. If I had not found the real God I can imagine being fooled by that.

It sprang from a great desire to be "cool". I decided that I could be cool if I could really tune in to myself. I mulched that weed, babied it. I got satisfaction out of the times I thought I was really in harmony with myself.

When that song by Toby Keith (I WANT TO TALK ABOUT ME)came out I laughed and laughed about the lyrics - it was so funny to look back on that blind pursuit. I thought I was cool at the time but I look as funny to myself as the lyrics now.

So you really seemed to really be interested in this answer, and there it is. I'd probably be steeped in my own dilusional world of coolness, worshipping and paying homage to myself - in reality a joke.

Mephibosheth

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meph - I'd appreciate it if

Meph - I'd appreciate it if you could address my last post. 

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: So is

mephibosheth wrote:

So is it irrational for you to decide someone who feels spooning ice cream into computers makes them work better is irrational? (Mattshizzle)

Matt,

I believe every man/woman has a god.  If I'm wrong it's not the end of the world for me.  I do have a God.  

My honest observation is people treat something as if it were a god.  They meditate about it, their heart is focused on it, they learn all they can about it, they sacrifice to it, they put their hopes in it.  

Where I am simply going with this is:  the object in life is to get the best god - actually, God!  We're spiritual day traders.  

Mephibosheth 

There were so many false assertions, non-sequiturs and kitschy euphemisms in that reply, I almost missed out on the fact that you really didn't answer Matt's question.

Almost.

Which makes me want to ask:  Why post entire topics if you're just going to sidestep replies w/ this kind of crap ?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

magilum
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

Magilum wrote:

Magilum,

Isn't it easier to label something than think about it and discuss it?

If something is "beneath us all", doesn't that have an air of god speaking about it?

Mephibosheth

[MOD EDiT - fixed quotes] 

It's all your topic warrants. If you make dumb enough remarks, you deserve to be dismissed sometimes. Be thankful anyone replied at all. LOL about the "air of god" thing.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
So am I going to get a

So am I going to get a rebuttal or what?