It's Birthday Time!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's Birthday Time!

Tomorrow, August 17th is Voiderest's birthday!

Happy Birthday, Voiderest!!!!! 

Many happy returns, my friend! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Appropriate to RRS, on

Appropriate to RRS, on August 17th...

Thomas Jefferson's hotly debated Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, finally approved by the Virginia legislature in 1786, recognized absolute freedom of belief and set a precedent for separation of church and state that other states later replicated.  Its adoption is best understood in the context of intense popular engagement with religious issues and debate about the place of religion in a free society.

Freedom of religion is upheld by the First Amendment to the Constitution. Drafted by James Madison and adopted in 1791 with the nine other amendments that make up the Bill of Rights, the First Amendment asserts, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." However, the Continental Congress had formally endorsed the principle even earlier. In 1776, it resolved to honor the

…wise policy of these states to extend the protection of their laws to all those who should settle among them of whatever nation or religion they might be, and to admit them to a participation of the benefits of civil and religious freedom.

Journals of Congress,
August 14, 1776.
Documents from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789

Happy Birthday!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, tomorrow is my mom's

Shit, tomorrow is my mom's birthday.  Thanks for the reminder!

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Tomorrow,

Susan wrote:

Tomorrow, August 17th is Voiderest's birthday!

Happy Birthday, Voiderest!!!!!

Many happy returns, my friend!

Woah, dude!  Happy birthday!  You'd fit in nicely in my family this week: My birthday is on the 19th; my nephew's is on the 21st; my brother's is on the 23rd and my parents' wedding anniversary was on the 24th.  Unfortunately, my father died young. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:

jmm wrote:
Shit, tomorrow is my mom's birthday. Thanks for the reminder!

She and Voiderest can come to my county. If your mother is a Christian, we could all have one hell of an interesting conversation. My mother is a fundamentalist; my brother is an atheistic right-wing Objectivist; my nephew--who knows?; you are a theist of some stripe, Voiderest is an atheist and I am a "somewhat liberal" atheist.

How long do you think it would be before someone left? We could have a pool!

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, ladies and some

Yes, ladies and some gentlemen.

He's legal now.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I just noticed this

I just noticed this thread...

I was legal before darth Sticking out tongue

Thanks everyone.

Oh Susan there probably will be returns as I didn't ask for anything and I'm suppose to be getting things, apparently.