Alabama Christians propose ban on alcohol sales

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alabama Christians propose ban on alcohol sales

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070814/ap_on_el_st_lo/prohibition_vote

ATHENS, Ala. - Voters have a chance on Tuesday to return this northern Alabama city to the days of Prohibition.

A measure to end the sale of alcohol in Athens is up for a citywide vote, a rare instance where voters could overturn a previous vote to allow sales. Business interests are against repeal, but church leaders who helped organize the petition drive that got the measure on the ballot are asking members to pray and fast in support of a ban.

Christians who oppose drinking on moral grounds believe they have a chance to win, however small.

"If it can be voted out anywhere, it will be here because so many Christians are against it," said Teresa Thomas, who works in a Christian book store.

Business leaders argue that ending the sale of beer, wine and liquor would hurt tax revenues and send the message that Athens is backward.

"Economic impact is really the big issue," said Carl Hunt, an organizer of the pro-alcohol sale Citizens for Economic Progress.

The United States went dry in 1920 after the 18th Amendment outlawed the production, transportation and sale of alcohol. Prohibition was repealed in 1933.

Now, less than four years after they first voted to legalize alcohol sales, the nearly 22,000 residents of Athens will decide whether to prohibit alcohol sales within the city, located about 95 miles north of Birmingham. Possession and consumption would remain legal.

Such "wet-to-dry" votes aren't unheard of, but they're rare, said Jim Mosher of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, which tracks public policy issues including alcohol laws.

"In Barrow, Alaska, when they legalized alcohol sales, problems went through the roof," Mosher said. "Then, when they banned it again, it improved."

Twenty-six of Alabama's 67 counties, including Limestome, where Athens is located, don't allow alcohol sales. Besides the Athens vote, residents of the southern Alabama town of Thomasville were to cast their ballots Tuesday on whether to legalize alcohol sales.

Regardless of whether Athens winds up wet or dry, a leader of the 138-year-old National Prohibition Party is glad voters have a chance to decide. Such issues rarely make it to the ballot any more, said attorney Howard Lydick, a member of the party's executive committee.

"The beer and wine industry has very good PR," Lydick said. "Those pushing (prohibition) have been pushed aside."

The Rev. Eddie Gooch feels good about the chances of ending alcohol sales in Athens, but he isn't taking any chances.

A leader of the petition drive, Gooch urged members of his United Methodist Church to pray and fast on election day and the two days leading up to it. Church volunteers have sent thousands of letters and made phone calls encouraging people to vote "dry."

Mayor Dan Williams said the city government is making nearly $250,000 in extra sales taxes directly tied to alcohol, and the city's schools get the same amount.

Besides that money, he said, overall tax revenues have grown since alcohol sales were legalized in January 2004 — an increase he attributes partly to alcohol sales.

An upscale Italian restaurant recently moved to Athens from the nearby dry city of Hartselle in order to sell alcohol, and Williams said other restaurants have arrived since it went wet.

"It's a big deal for a small town to get a new restaurant," he said.

Gooch isn't worried about the city losing businesses or tax revenues if alcohol sales are banned. Normal economic growth and God will make up any difference if residents dump the bottle, he said.

"We believe that God will honor and bless our city," Gooch said.

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Quote: [The] church leaders

Quote:
[The] church leaders who helped organize the petition drive that got the measure on the ballot are asking members to pray and fast in support of a ban.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Business leaders

Quote:
Business leaders argue that ending the sale of beer, wine and liquor would hurt tax revenues and send the message that Athens is backward.

Gee, ya think!?

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, there is a town in

Actually, there is a town in NJ that has this law. Ocean City. You can't purchase any alcohol within city limits and have to drive over a bridge to the next town. Ironically, Ocean City has a DUI problem, I believe.
Go figure.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Actually,

pariahjane wrote:
Actually, there is a town in NJ that has this law. Ocean City. You can't purchase any alcohol within city limits and have to drive over a bridge to the next town.

This is common here in North Carolina. There are three counties that border the county I live in that are "dry counties" that don't allow sales of alcoholic beverages.

These are old laws however and and more and more counties in the state are voting to allow alcohol beverage sales. We're moving into the 20th century.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
They are old laws, stemming

They are old laws, stemming from the 'blue laws' or whatever they were called.  It is silly.  And ineffective. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I lived there I would

If I lived there I would open a liquor store just on the other side of city limits right on the main road and make a killing!!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sweet home Alabama Where

Sweet home Alabama

Where the liquer is Zero proof.

Sweet home Alabama

The breatholizer waits for you

Singing songs about the Trailer park

And the wife beater shirts

If the north cant have a stereotype

What is this country worth?

Sweet home Alabama

Where Ness has been revived

Take that shot of Bacardi

And shove it up your ass

There is one thing that matters

And that is of the cross

Jesus never played "Asshole"

And he is your boss

Dont dare bounce that quarter

Into that shot glass

Dont drink your Bush beer

Or watch Nascar when you can

Sweet home Alabama 

The puritains do compete

Hope to defeat the Taliban

With their justice swift and sweet.

(PROGRESS IN CONTUATION) FEEL FREE TO ADD. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cory T
Theist
Cory T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you think that this town

Do you think that this town would consider me a liberal or a heretic for constructing apologetics posts for my blog while enjoying an ice cold Corona with lime?

Maybe the better question is why church leaders oppose alcohol consumption at all.  Jesus' first public miracle wasn't to turn water into Dr. Pepper, after all. 

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Simpsons did it

Simpsons did it

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it.  If the

I don't get it.  If the xians don't want to drink booze, no one is forcing them to.

I understand and support curtailing drunk drivers and underage drinking (although I believe that if a person can vote and go to war at 18, they should be allowed a drink if they wish). 

It's kinda like complaining about TV shows.  If you don't like it, turn it off.  If you don't like R-rated movies, don't go.  If you don't like dirty movies, then don't rent 'em.

It just seems so very simple to me. 

Once again they're trying to control everyone else's lives with their own values.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Cory T wrote: Do you think

Cory T wrote:

Do you think that this town would consider me a liberal or a heretic for constructing apologetics posts for my blog while enjoying an ice cold Corona with lime?

Maybe the better question is why church leaders oppose alcohol consumption at all. Jesus' first public miracle wasn't to turn water into Dr. Pepper, after all.

If they're Baptists, they probably would.

I've heard arguments about the Jesus / wine thing that go like this. There's wine and then there's "new" wine (which is basically grape juice that hasn't fermented yet). Jesus turned water into "new" wine. Jesus / the Jews wouldn't drink fermented wine.

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I've heard that too.

Yeah, I've heard that too. Funny, if you don't believe god made the world in six calendar days six thousand years ago, you go to hell. But it's okay to believe that "wine" really means Welch's Grape Juice. That in spite of the fact that the steward scolds the groom for saving the good wine for last. There's a good reason to serve the good wine first and the other wine later when people are drunk, but there's no good reason to serve the good grape juice first.

But what's a little logical inconsistency among lunatics?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I lived in Cullman for 2

I lived in Cullman for 2 years 10 months and 12 days. The blue laws pariahjane was speaking of still exist there.

I don't drink very often. I last got drunk on Labor Day of 2005 right after my friends made it back from Katrina.

Warrior, AL has 'Wayne's package store', a combination gas station and liquor store just across the county line. Every day, the paper has DUI's listed.

Cullman County has 100,000 residents. Approximately 80% live in the rural areas or other municipalities. Of the total population, less than 5% are hispanic. less than 2% are black.

After I moved, the population of atheists dwindled to zero. Even if there is one there, he/she ain't gonna tell you. those people don't burn crosses. They flat out try to ruin the rest of your life first. They don't want you to leave.

I heard a comedienne say once, "I ain't afraid of gangs in the big city. I am afraid of hicks in rural areas. In the big city, a gang will kill you. In the country, the hicks will KEEP you."  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: I lived

darth_josh wrote:
I lived in Cullman for 2 years 10 months and 12 days.

For some reason, I think you were glad to leave.

darth_josh wrote:
They flat out try to ruin the rest of your life first. They don't want you to leave. I heard a comedienne say once, "I ain't afraid of gangs in the big city. I am afraid of hicks in rural areas. In the big city, a gang will kill you. In the country, the hicks will KEEP you."

Damn. Sounds like something out of Pulp Fiction.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't understand why

I don't understand why counties/towns are allowed to do that.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I don't

MattShizzle wrote:
I don't understand why counties/towns are allowed to do that.
It is the will of Gawd.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.