New One

Chaos Evolved
User is offlineOffline
New One

Begin 

My whole life I was a non theist.

My parents grew up in communist Hungary.

4 months ago, at 16 years old, I went from a non-theist to an atheist. Main cause was Richard Dawkins.

I live in Canada.

I took my arguments and my new thoughts about religion to school. No one picked a fight, quite a few got irritated, but I actually got through to more people than I dreamed.

First time I ever opened my mouth about it was in history class, on a monday morning. The teacher stopped the class and we had a discussion about it the until the bell.

It wasn't a one day thing, or even a one week thing. I talked about atheism from the end of may till the end of the school year. 

Aftermath

Every believer told me to go to church, talk to priests and pastors. I said fine, atheists are open minded, if there was a god and it would be proven, I wouldn't be an atheist. The mere fact that there are atheists shows that there is no god.

I went to church, I talked to quite a few priests, and I have the transcripts of the conversations. (I didn't record any, might in the future)

^ These conversations are hilarious, I'm telling you, if there's one thing you guys should do is interview priests, they are uneducated to the nth degree.

School ended, and people were still emailing me telling me to go to there own church. 

I took it beyond that. I found myself a biologist and interviewed her (creationist). <-- this is isn't funny, it's just irritating. You know, second law of thermo opposes evolution, etc.

Started a lot of conflicts on facebook by joining religious groups and owning them.

I discovered the RRS through youtube.

I saw the god movie, found out about it from the blasphemy challenge.

Present & Future.

I intend to interview more people but will try record the future ones instead of writing down the Q&A's.

I have read The god delusion, Letter to a christian nation, End of faith, etc. Bible too. On my way with the Koran.  And Hawking's...

I hope to be a scientist, I really do. Love physics and astronomy and biology. 

What matters to me

I told my girlfriend my views back in May before I told anyone else. She wasn't blown away, no. She is Armenian. They are usually conservative christians (no offense to anyone here). Her parents resent the idea, but not her.

I told my parents the same day, they weren't surprised at all. They agreed with me. This is when they told me that they decided at my birth to let me find out about religion on my own. Tears came to me at that moment to think that they considered me in such a way. They raised me fine, I do well in school, I've never started a fight, I've been with my girlfriend for over a year and a half, and all of this was done in the absence of the wisdom of the bible.

My name's Andy, and I deny the holy spirit, along with Zeus, Thor, Jesus, Adonis, Shiva, Santa, Kent Hovind, Allah and quite a few others.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
An official welcome, Chaos

An official welcome, Chaos Evolved!

What an excellent story and what amazing parents you have.

The fact that you're learning everything you can and coming to logical, reational conclusions is quite impressive.

Are you going to write up any of the interviews?  I'd be interested in how the theists attempted to "convince" you of their position.

We're really glad to have you here!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site! I am

Welcome to the site! I am fairly new here as well and I found your story interesting. I think the reason there are so many theists is because most theist parents force religion into their children. Pretty cool that you parents let you decide for yourself.

My parents did put me in a catholic school (education on public schoos in my country is horrible), but they told me most of the time to not take religion too seriously. I was baptized at age 12 because it was a requirement to get into my high school Sticking out tongue

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
You've never started a

You've never started a fight? Really?