Forum members Q&A

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forum members Q&A

Here’s some questions which should give us some info about the members we talk with here. It’s based on this Q and A from the Sceptics Guide podcast (http://www.sgufans.net/cast/evan_bio.html)

(I hope something like his has not been done before)

Education:
Favorite Food(s):
Favorite Book(s):
Favorite Movie(s):
Favorite TV Show(s):
Favorite Music:
Favourite website:

Podcasts you listen to:
Most respected scientists/sceptics:
Best Scientific Discovery:
Most interesting area of science:
Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal claim:

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal proponent:
Dumbest thing you've ever heard:
When and how did you become a sceptic:
What you would like to see science achieve before you die:
Favourite Branch of Philosophy:
Favourite Philosopher:

To get the ball rolling, here’s my answers…

Education: BA Design

Student and some freelance design work

Music, the internet, walking, pubs and clubs, beer, film, animation, scepticism, science, retro video games, football, martial arts (BJJ, MMA, Wing Chun)

Dislikes: Religious claims, theistic faith, dogma, intellectually dishonest people/frauds, ‘gangsta rap,’ chavs.

Favorite Food(s): Sunday roast, pie and mash, sausage and mash, chips, KFC, Italian and Chinese.

Favorite Book(s): Lord of the Rings, Of Mice and Men, Tokyo, Life of Pi, Demon-Haunted World, A Brief History of Time.

Favorite Movie(s): American History X, Lost in Translation, Lord of the Rings, Hayao Miyazki films, Wes Anderson films, Miike Takashi films, animations, horrors, comedies, psychological films.

Favorite TV Show(s): 24, Lost, Heroes, Top Gear, Frasier, South Park, Only Fools & Horses, The Simpson’s, Futurama

Favorite Music: The Beatles, Oasis, Dylan, Bowie, Kinks, La’s, Weller, Who, Small Faces, Motown

Favourite website: Digg.com, BBC News, Martial Arts Planet, IGN, Rational Responders, Wikipedia, MySpace/Facebook

Podcasts you listen to: Sceptics Guide to the Universe, Diggnation, Sceptical Inquire, Ricky Gervais, the Onion, Infidel Guy.

Most respected scientists/skeptics: Carl Sagan, James Randi

Best Scientific Discovery: Evolution

Most interesting area of science: Astronomy (followed by evolutionary biology and psychology)

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal claim: Cold reading (“Psychics”), Faith healing, Intelligent Design/Creationism

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal proponent: They're all bad, but especially Sylvia Brown, “The Biggest Douche Bag in the World,” Kent Hovind and Ray Comfort.

Dumbest thing you've ever heard: ”The Bible is true”

When and how did you become a sceptic: I always tended to be sceptical in that I’ve never been a true believer in anything (although I probably accepted some bs in the past, like ghosts and UFOs). I would say I started calling myself a sceptic around 2004 after I started to learn about philosophy, logic and science, which itself was triggered through looking at eastern philosophy/religion/mysticism which I started to become acquainted with after doing some martial arts training.

What you would like to see science achieve before you die: Further exploration of space, more knowledge about the universe, more knowledge about the mind, progression with stem cell research to produce cures for various diseases and conditions.

Favourite Branch of Philosophy:
Metaphysics, religion, mind, science, ethics, materialism, empiricism.

Favourite Philosopher:
Hume, among others.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pssst, Topher.  That's

Pssst, Topher.  That's kinda MySpace.  I must admit, though, this is the first of this kind where I've seen a "favorite philosopher" section.

I am curious about one thing.  What's "pie and mash" and "sausage and mash"? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Education: More every

Education: More every day.

Likes: walks on the beach, kittens, wtf kind of question is this? lol.

Dislikes: hypocrisy

Favorite Food(s): My stir fry. Beef and Veggies.

Favorite Book(s): ALL

Favorite Movie(s): Any. Aliens to Zoolander and back.

Favorite TV Show(s): Deadliest Catch, 700 Club(good humor), Meercat manor, How it's made, Any history channel.

Favorite Music: Any except country, gospel, and middle eastern

Favourite website: www.rationalresponders.com Umm. Duh. lol.

Podcasts you listen to: RRS, Skeptics guide to the universe(when not attacking the RRS or 'fundamentalist atheists' like myself (I could listen to Rebecca sing the alphabet)

Most respected scientists/sceptics: Judged on an individual basis. Myself.

Best Scientific Discovery: Hasn't been made yet.

Most interesting area of science: Tough one. Hmmm. Physics.

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal claim: Afterlife

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal proponent: Uri Geller

Dumbest thing you've ever heard: "The RRS is a cult."

When and how did you become a sceptic: At age 9, at church camp (or before I guess) that's when I assured myself that it was okay to question everything.

What you would like to see science achieve before you die: lol. Immortality.

Favourite Branch of Philosophy: Ethics

Favourite Philosopher: Me

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:

Susan wrote:

Pssst, Topher. That's kinda MySpace.

You know I just realised how true that is, which is especially weird since I HATE them all! Had I known I would have made the thread lol

Susan wrote:
I am curious about one thing. What's "pie and mash" and "sausage and mash"?

Mashed potato

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Podcasts

darth_josh wrote:
Podcasts you listen to: RRS, Skeptics guide to the universe(when not attacking the RRS or 'fundamentalist atheists' like myself (I could listen to Rebecca sing the alphabet)

You noticed that too. Haha

They're all 'agnostics' on that show, except for Rebecca. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I love the Washington

I love the Washington Redskins(although they suck right now).

I love jazz such as big band and David Sanborn. I love Metallica. Favorite poets are mostly unknown locals I know personally. Famous poets I like are Plath and Poe. Plato and Socrates are my favorite philosophers. The Oedipus trillogies are my favorite plays.

Favorite websites are of course atheist websites where I can vent and let it all out.

Favorite TV shows SVU, Hawaii 5-0, A-Team, Moonlighting, John Stewart, Cobert.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK.  I'll

OK.  I'll bite. 

Education:   BA in Music, BS in Math, some post grad for I.T.

Occupation:  Sr. Systems Analyst/I.T., Associate Producer for Beyond Belief Media 

Likes:  Critters (includes feline medicine), Theater, Reading, Cooking, Entertaining, Volunteering, Diet Coke

Dislikes:  Hypocrits, people who don't properly care for their critters, car salesmen, loud music

Favorite Food(s):  Porterhouse steak, home-made French Fries, Shepherd's Pie, broccoli, pasta with vodka sauce, many of my personal recipes

Favorite Book(s):  My entire personal library

Favorite Movie(s):  The funniest movie of all time "Blazing Saddles"

Favorite TV Show(s):  All the Law & Orders, House, Bones, Criminal Minds, CSI (the original)

Favorite Music:  Oldies, Hedwig & The Angry Inch, Bat Boy: The Musical, any musical for which I've been a tech member 

Favorite website:  The RRS 

Podcasts you listen to:  Any time Brian Flemming is interviewed, RRS

Most respected scientists/sceptics:  Brian Flemming, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris

Best Scientific Discovery:  Red hair dye  Eye-wink

Most interesting area of science:  Veterinary medicine

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal claim:  Talking to the dead, talking to god/virgin Mary/angels, "the secret"

Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal proponent:  Uri Geller 

Dumbest thing you've ever heard: "Praise god.  He cured her."

When and how did you become a skeptic:  A quiet process over a period of time, thinking about it and coming to the conclusion that theism just doesn't make sense.

What would you like to see science achieve before you die:  Gene and stem cell therapies (those would fix almost anything).

Favorite Branch of Philosophy:  Plain Old Common Sense 

Favorite Philosopher:  Todangst 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Education: Nope. Ran out

• Education: Nope. Ran out of money. Some day I'll finish that damn degree.
  • Dislikes: arrogant fools
  • Favorite Food(s): Mexican
  • Favorite Book(s): Fanatasy, Sci Fi, "Godel, Escher, Bach" by D. Hofstadler
  • Favorite Movie(s): Edward Scissorhands
  • Favorite TV Show(s): Huh ... Myth Busters?
  • Favorite Music: Varies
  • Favourite website: artpapa.com
  • Podcasts you listen to: don't
  • Most respected scientists/sceptics: no real opinion
  • Best Scientific Discovery: Whoa, you want me to judge that?
  • Most interesting area of science: Cosmology
  • Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal claim: Anything said by my mother.
  • Most disliked pseudoscientific/paranormal proponent: My mother
  • Dumbest thing you've ever heard: DOH!
  • When and how did you become a sceptic: I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.
  • What you would like to see science achieve before you die: warp speed
  • Favourite Branch of Philosophy: I'm still on twigs. Branches and trees are later.
  • Favourite Philosopher: Uh ... who's ever responsible for this twig I'm on.