We cannot win this fight

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
We cannot win this fight

I have been thinking over the past couple of days how we can deconvert more Christians than the few we do right now, and I struggled to think of anything.  And the more I thought about this, the more I realized the truth in the fact that we will never be able to deconvert the majority of Christians, at least as long as we continue the way we are proceding at this time.

The reason we are able to reach so few Christians is that we are not speaking the same language as them.  We speak a language of logic, evidence, and science.  We speak about what we see, what we hear, and what we can prove.  And while we are not completely without faith, we talk with our minds rather than our hearts.  Theists tend to operate completely opposite to us in this respect.  They speak a language of emotions, experiences, and feelings.  They speak about what they feel is true, what they trust, and what they love.

As long as we speak in rational terms and not on the emotional level, we will not be able to get to these people because they do not understand us.  That is not to say they are unintelligant, they just will feel that we are missing the point.

However, it may be as impossible to speak well on their level as it is for them to speak logically to us.  As we all have seen here, most theists here struggle with logical dialogue and tend to revert to talk of emotions and feelings.  And we have all seen the disaster known as "Creation Science"

For us to really make a difference, we have to abandon our comforts of logic and reason and make an impact using their language; while we remain on opposite planes, we will never make any real progress.  However, I don't think we can.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
xamination wrote: I have

xamination wrote:

I have been thinking over the past couple of days how we can deconvert more Christians than the few we do right now, and I struggled to think of anything. And the more I thought about this, the more I realized the truth in the fact that we will never be able to deconvert the majority of Christians, at least as long as we continue the way we are proceding at this time.

The reason we are able to reach so few Christians is that we are not speaking the same language as them. We speak a language of logic, evidence, and science. We speak about what we see, what we hear, and what we can prove. And while we are not completely without faith, we talk with our minds rather than our hearts. Theists tend to operate completely opposite to us in this respect. They speak a language of emotions, experiences, and feelings. They speak about what they feel is true, what they trust, and what they love.

As long as we speak in rational terms and not on the emotional level, we will not be able to get to these people because they do not understand us. That is not to say they are unintelligant, they just will feel that we are missing the point.

However, it may be as impossible to speak well on their level as it is for them to speak logically to us. As we all have seen here, most theists here struggle with logical dialogue and tend to revert to talk of emotions and feelings. And we have all seen the disaster known as "Creation Science"

For us to really make a difference, we have to abandon our comforts of logic and reason and make an impact using their language; while we remain on opposite planes, we will never make any real progress. However, I don't think we can.

"I've been thinking" says the Christian

"I've been thinking" says the Muslim

"I've been thinking" says the Jew

"I've been thinking" says the atheist

I dont think seeking utopias by any group has solved the problem. The earth is not a giant "capture the flag" game. There are 6 billion people and even if the entire population were any ONE label there would still be problems.

Atheists are not going to "win" anymore than theists will. But we are not losing our voice. It is not a matter of slaughtering oposition. It is a matter of raising one's voice so that one can survive, not conquer.

Most atheists I know dont seek to "opress" but merely seek to ask questions. And from where I stand I do know the big differance between the way atheists were treated in 2001 and now where atheists are becoming part of the mainstreem, which we didnt have before.

You sound like you want to give up, and you should, if your goal is to deconvert the world. Humans dont change and humans believe what they want to and you wont get everyone on the same page.

BUT, what you can do is challenge people to think without being sheep.

You sound hopeless and that is giving up before you even try. Knowing what I know now about where atheists were just 6 years ago and where they are now things can and do change.

Dont think short term, they dont and neither should we. Neither the theist or atheist is going anywhere, but at a minimum we can all make bloodshed an unacceptable form of conflict resolution. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
the simple fact that in this

the simple fact is that in this world there exists an alternative to religious dogma, and that's what matters. it's why we're all here; because we were given a different option and we decided it was the better one. it's not our job to win the "war", but we should feel a sense of responsibility in making sure that the alternative to blind faith is accessible to anyone with the curiosity and willingness to seek it out.

(edited for my sloppy sentence structure) 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
djneibarger wrote: the

djneibarger wrote:

the simple fact is that in this world there exists an alternative to religious dogma, and that's what matters. it's why we're all here; because we were given a different option and we decided it was the better one. it's not our job to win the "war", but we should feel a sense of responsibility in making sure that the alternative to blind faith is accessible to anyone with the curiosity and willingness to seek it out.

What do you expect from someone who drinks "Old Fotran"Tongue out

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: djneibarger

Brian37 wrote:
djneibarger wrote:

bite my shiny metal ass!! Eye-wink

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've thought about this

I've thought about this too, and of course the goal of converting die-hard Christians (or any other religious subscribers) is impossible.

I *am* interested, however, in the statistics regarding believers vs. non-believers. The number I keep seeing is that roughly 9 out of 10 people subscribe to some kind of religion.

I'm curious about the level of devotion of believers. I know a pretty wide range of people, and those who consider themselves Christians have a level of devotion that I would call "weak". They were raised Christian, maybe go to church a couple of times a year if that. I think the only reason they maintain their religion is that, if they came out as athiests, they would get backlash from their families.

If there was to be a goal for athiesm, it would be to make as many of these "on the fence" believers comfortable with the possibility of being an atheist.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Older people who are set in

Older people who are set in their ways will most likely not give up religion, but I have hope for youngsters.  We need to find ways to prevent total indoctrination and to help young people who are taking their own path. 

Now that we are speaking out, more and more atheists will come out of the closet to add their own voices.  It may not happen within our lifetime, but at some point there may be a "critical mass" that tips society our way.  It took the fundies 30 years.  This is a fight that won't be won in a few years or even a lifetime.  Just speaking out, however, makes a difference. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: I've thought

geirj wrote:

I've thought about this too, and of course the goal of converting die-hard Christians (or any other religious subscribers) is impossible.

False.

The goal of direct conversion that most atheists employ towards die-hard christians, such as on these forums, is impossible.

I say true.

As the OP said, you have to speak their language.  And I'd add that you not speak directly to them.  Be a presence.  They have to become atheist on accident, not at the goading of a nonbeliever.  As we all know, demanding to their face that they stop belief only strengthens it.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have read much on this

I have read much on this site from posters saying that the world would be better without religion, that religion is a bane to civilized society, that religion serves little to no purpose and should be eliminated.

Fair enough.  I'm not sure that I believe that, but it has definatly been stated by others here, and you are all entitled to your opinion.

However, if your idea of a better world is a world without religion, shouldn't you be working to bring your visions to frutition?  Or do you believe that it will happen on its own course, that your action or inaction will not matter in the long run?

What I was trying to communicate that if you want to accomplish this goal, you must learn to talk in the Christians language.  But it seems that many of you are content with the way things are.  

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
You might be right that a

You might be right that a theist may not listen to logical arguments, but there is little else to say if a person wants to make an argument.

I simply can't be true to myself if I try to use an emotional argument to try to deconvert someone. Besides do you really think one kind of emotion is going to win out over the good feeling god belief might give someone?

As others have said its isn't necessary a problem with god belief itself but with reason.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
In this thread you can see

In this thread you can see what happens whan an atheist abandons the strict language of logic, even for a second. Dawkins makes a great argument for the non-existence of god. It's six points, separated for clarity, and articulated logically, but in layman's language, designed to make an emotional as well as intellectual impact.

So what happens?

A theist comes along and says, "See, that argument isn't a logical proof, therefore it's invald. Therefore god."

If we go to their level, they get us the same way we get them now... by pointing out that their level isn't valid!

You're right, it's a near impossible battle. And you're also right that it's much easier to reach individuals on their level. But at its heart, this website is about reaching the masses and getting people talking as individuals. You see the difference? We make it ok to talk about it, then individuals (BGH, for instance) talk one on one with their theist friends (JCE, for example) and it has an emotional impact.

It's a good program. Maybe not the best, but it does work.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

richard955
User is offlineOffline
I think we should offer

I think we should offer more on the social and community building level in order to get religions people interested. Religion seems to respond to certain needs that we cannot (like confort upon death), but there are many social needs that non-religions organizations could address. That is a point I think needs more effort and can get us a positive response.

A mystic is someone who wants to understand the universe, but is too lazy to study physics.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate to sound like i'm

I hate to sound like i'm being mean, because I'm not.  I mean this sincerely.  Why don't you start such an organization?

I agree with you.  We need more non-theist social/community stuff.  It's a great idea.  I own two businesses, and mod this board.  I really don't have the time.  I know the people who run  RRS don't have any spare time.  We've decided this is a path we want to pursue because we believe in it.  Instead of getting onto us because you disagree with our approach, why don't you do what you believe is the right thing to do?

The mods here donate their spare time for free, and trust me, trying to keep up with this board takes a lot of time, but we believe in it.  I bet you could find lots of people willing to donate time, and probably money to a non-theist community project of some sort or another where you live.  If you believe in it, probably others do too.  Why don't you try?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Religion seems to

Quote:
Religion seems to respond to certain needs that we cannot (like confort upon death),

On a different note, I think this is an idea religion invented to try to scare theists away from atheism.

"If you go to atheism, you'll be afraid of death!  You'll find no comfort when your loved ones pass!"

Let me tell you.  I've lost loved ones, and been comforted.  I'm willing to bet 95% of the atheists here also have lost and been comforted.  

I'm also not afraid of death.  Don't want it to happen today, but I'm not afraid to die.  Mark Twain wondered why people were afraid of being dead... it's exactly like the billions of years before we were born, and it didn't bother us then!

It is simply not true that atheists cannot find comfort and must fear death.

Books about atheism

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Take heart my American

Take heart my American friends. Your country is a-typical amongst developed nations. Due to various quirks of history you have far more religion than other first world countries. Its not the norm and you will, I  have no doubt, catch up with us in Europe. Here in the UK religion really is not a big part or most peoples lives. For my generation, I'm 32, its actuallly considered rather strange if somone goes to Church, religious types are odd bods, wierdo's.

We have about a 2% muslim population and more muslims go to the mosque every week than chrsitians go to curch, that 2% does more God bothering than all the suposed christians in our nation. Christianity is dieing in this country and it won't be long before the same happend your side of pond. This is why the rational repsonse squad and other such athiest organisation is important. The time is right now for change. The death of christianity is inevitable as the ideas are simply incompatible with the modern rational thought necessary for maintianing out first world societies. Its just a question of how quickly you managed to kick the religion habit in the USA -it will happen though.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil, I wish I shared your

evil, I wish I shared your optimism.  I've seen the stats on how fast Islam is spreading in Spain, England, etc.

As for thinking  the US will recover from its theism, i'm not so sure that's guaranteed.  Things are getting worse, not better, in a lot of respects, especially politically.

I'm not proud of the fact that my country has pretty much always adopted the attitude of "We're bigger than you, fuck off," but religion is very compatible with that attitude.

Anyway, I don't see how it hurts to actively try to speed up the process of de-religio-stupidifying the country.

Books about atheism

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    It is not a matter of

It is not a matter of if it can be changed, it is a  matter of when, all things change in the end, and theism as we know it now will change...eventually. It will take generations to do. But with those willing to speak up, to defend logic, reason and truth, against those that would rather destroy it, then there will always be a chance that it will change.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
djneibarger wrote: Brian37

djneibarger wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
djneibarger wrote:

bite my shiny metal ass!! Eye-wink

In all seriousness to the original poster. It does also take the edge off when ingauging theists to interject humor they may be familure with. There are pleanty of Christians who like many of the same things we do. Some like Futurama, Simpsons and South Park.

Pop culture is a way to take the edge off the debate a bit. I like to mention that I am a Redskins fan and listen to jazz music. Other threads at this site mention video games and even a thread about Harry Potter.

Someone correctly stated that this movement wont cure anything, especially over night. But it is important to get younger generations to stop being sheep and be individuals no matter what path they chose.

So dont think short term and dont feel hopeless. There is common ground in humanity when we look for it.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: evil, I

Hambydammit wrote:

evil, I wish I shared your optimism.  I've seen the stats on how fast Islam is spreading in Spain, England, etc.

Its spreading by imigration only though. This is fine becasue the flip side is that many many more Muslims are "converted" to western liberal values. After a generation or two most muslim imigrants tend to ditch their parents religion or at least adopt a watered down version of it. Muslim imigration is a good thing in my opinion as it actually serves to assimiliate more muslims into more modern liberal way of thinking. If we look at modern Muslim countrie like Turkey we see the process of westrenisation gardually erroding Islam's power bringing Trukey into the EU will speed this up greatly.

Quote:
As for thinking  the US will recover from its theism, i'm not so sure that's guaranteed.  Things are getting worse, not better, in a lot of respects, especially politically.

I think that there has been a fairly vigorous reaction from the theists in America to a percieved threat to their religion. They have organised well and they are trying to defend their religion from the spread of rational thought. They are entirely corrcet to see this as a threat. As levels of education and levels of reasoning rise religion falls. I think we what we see in America is the reaction that signels the begining of the end of theism.

Quote:
I'm not proud of the fact that my country has pretty much always adopted the attitude of "We're bigger than you, fuck off," but religion is very compatible with that attitude.

Indeed.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't see how it hurts to actively try to speed up the process of de-religio-stupidifying the country

Totaly agree. Everyone needs to do their bit to spread rational though. Every day the worlds only nuclear superpower is ruled by men who talk to invisibel sky pixies is a day where there is an unnecessary risk to us all. It terrifies me that the man with his finger on the button has a completely irrational set of bronze age beliefs.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: In this

Hambydammit wrote:

In this thread...

*smacks self on forehead*

What sort of a lame emotional argument is demonstrated through conversion to words in a forum post?  By emotional argument, we mean eliciting those emotions through other forms of communication, not simply opting to use words from an emotional context and vocabulary.  If people have been influenced in ways that bypass reason and logic, then attempting to convince them otherwise through reason and logic is largely folly.  We need to fight back with influence in addition to reason.  In a way, trick them out of god belief!  Believe me, they will be glad we did!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
xamination,   Are you

xamination,

Are you available to come in our chat room at any of these times: Tues Jul 24, 9pm-Midnight
Wed Jul 25, 7pm-9pm est
Thurs Jul 26, 8pm-10pm est (no Kelly)
Fri July 27, 8pm-11pm est
Tues Jul 31, 10pm est-Midnight 

???

If so, I'd like to cover this forum topic on our show and have you present.  Can you make it?  If so, which night?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Next tuesday seems best for

Next tuesday seems best for me... I usually have football practice till 9 every night, but I could also do it tommorow, I just would be a little late.  Just tell me when you want me there and I'l be happy to be there.

richard955
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I hate

Hambydammit wrote:

I hate to sound like i'm being mean, because I'm not. I mean this sincerely. Why don't you start such an organization?

I agree with you. We need more non-theist social/community stuff. It's a great idea. I own two businesses, and mod this board. I really don't have the time. I know the people who run RRS don't have any spare time. We've decided this is a path we want to pursue because we believe in it. Instead of getting onto us because you disagree with our approach, why don't you do what you believe is the right thing to do?

Why don't you try? 

On a personal note, I'm about to immigrate to Canada from Romania, so there is a big change in my life currently on which I need to focus.  But I want to help put together such an organization, that is why I am here, trying to integrate in the freethinking community.

A mystic is someone who wants to understand the universe, but is too lazy to study physics.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
The fight isn't atheism vs

The fight isn't atheism vs theism. It's a of fight truth v.s. falsehood. There are those that desire truth and those that desire control. Right now it seems like alot of theists are into control. Some atheists seem to be bent on this as well. But are some that desire truth more than their theism or atheism. It is my hope that it these people that prevail.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: But are

wavefreak wrote:
But are some that desire truth more than their theism or atheism. It is my hope that it these people that prevail.

I wouldn't use the word truth in that light, as it denotes a theistic connotation... since truth has been adopted as a term that means something akin to "Everything the Bible says is Truth." I think the word fact fits much better, but that's just me.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
But are some that desire truth more than their theism or atheism. It is my hope that it these people that prevail.

I wouldn't use the word truth in that light, as it denotes a theistic connotation... since truth has been adopted as a term that means something akin to "Everything the Bible says is Truth." I think the word fact fits much better, but that's just me.

Meh.

You have a point. But the kind of people I'm thinking of won't get hung up on that. And the ones's that do get hung up on it aren't really interested in truth. But language is important. It always seems to carry alot of unexpected baggage.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
This thread has spawned a

This thread has spawned a discussion on our show, please join us.

This Tuesday at around 10pm est or when we see xamination come in the chatroom, we'll touch on this issue.  Anyone else interested in joining the show to have your voice heard for a few mins?  

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been thinking about

I've been thinking about this thread ever since I read xamination's original post. After a bit of thought I'm inclined to agree that some of us need to take an emotional as well as rational stance against religion because, let's face it, we are emotional beings.

For me, religion engendered many negative emotions: fear of god, fear of hell, bitterness at being forced to submit to men, bitterness about not being able to watch certain movies, listen to certain music, etc. Being relieved of all this was great, but I think atheists could offer more.

Richard955 wrote:
I think we should offer more on the social and community building level in order to get religions people interested. Religion seems to respond to certain needs that we cannot (like confort upon death), but there are many social needs that non-religions organizations could address. That is a point I think needs more effort and can get us a positive response.

I've always thought this was a good idea, but you know the saying about herding cats. Smiling Due to the rational emphasis of the RRS, we don't talk much about emotions. That's cool. That's fine. In fact, the RRS is filling an important niche of rational thought. xamination, Tomcat, Richard955 and others believe atheists should address emotional needs and I find myself agreeing with them. The RRS may not want to put too many dogs into the fight. Hambydammit courteously recommended that Richard955 start his own organization. To any atheists here that have the time and resources: Why not?

If I could start my own organization, it would be the antithesis of Alcoholics Anonymous...maybe something like Ex-fundies Anonymous. It would focus on helping individuals leave religion and deal with the emotional fallout of that decision. Instead of making people feel helpless and insisting that they give in to a "higher power," such an organization would focus on empowering the individual with coping skills he or she did not learn in a religious setting. Christianity teaches people to give all their cares to Jesus. That is not conducive to living an empowered life.

When I left religion, I had no coping skills of my own. I had also lost my worldview, my self respect, my friends and closeness with family members. I still deal with the fallout on a daily basis.

So why don't I start such an organization? Poor health is the main reason. If I ever find myself in possession of good health and a reasonable amount of money, I would certainly look into it.

____

Based on other posts in this thread and other thoughts that have occurred to me since I joined the RRS, I have two suggestions for the forum itself:

1. A subforum dedicated to helping atheists develop the following:
    • Debating skills
    • The Socratic Method
    • Less confrontational debating methods
    • Your suggestion here <--
  2. A subforum called "The Pressure Valve" (or something better) where the topic of religion is not allowed, period. Other "serious" discussion would also be frowned upon. Positive discussion would be highly encouraged. Hell, maybe we could call it the "Pollyanna" forum. Ideally, this forum would be a place where atheists and theists find common ground: music, movies, jokes, video games, art, crafts, hobbies, etc. (Maybe we could call it "Common Ground"?) This forum would either take over the purpose of the General Conversation forum or supplement it. Introductions would go in the new forum and new members would be highly encouraged to spend time getting to know other members in the Pressure Valve before posting in other forums. This would help all of us engage in more meaningful conversation.
{On edit: I envision a hybrid of the General Conversation forum and the Kill 'Em with Kindness forum: general conversation with the utmost courteousness and no swearing.}
brian37 wrote:

In all seriousness to the original poster. It does also take the edge off when ingauging theists to interject humor they may be familure with. There are pleanty of Christians who like many of the same things we do. Some like Futurama, Simpsons and South Park.

Pop culture is a way to take the edge off the debate a bit. I like to mention that I am a Redskins fan and listen to jazz music. Other threads at this site mention video games and even a thread about Harry Potter.

On an Internet forum some of our basic humanness is stripped away. We read each other's words and sometimes respond rather differently than we would if we either knew the person or met him / her face to face. "The Pressure Valve" (Pollyanna Forum, Common Ground, et al.) would seek to restore what is lost when communicating anonymously via the written word. I know I'm not always at my most pleasant under these circumstances and I would wager many of you have noticed the same thing.

I look forward to your responses.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: If I

Iruka Naminori wrote:
If I could start my own organization, it would be the antithesis of Alcoholics Anonymous...maybe something like Ex-fundies Anonymous. It would focus on helping individuals leave religion and deal with the emotional fallout of that decision.

Is religion also visible at the genetic level, as this disease or even some mental disorders? i've been looking to see if there has been any studies done. It would explain it's inheritability.

Religion does carry similar qualities, it seems logical to look for parralels in those areas in regards to recovery. This is basically a drug that is acceptable, the only real victory will be in exposing it for it's harm, the way the drug/alcohol war is being faught, "Just say No". Obviously religous people can drive while on God, but the argument that it does impare your decision making does hold true.

Have you ever tried to talk a drug addict out of doing drugs, trust me logic does not work....

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote: Religion

neptewn wrote:
Religion does carry similar qualities, it seems logical to look for parralels in those areas in regards to recovery. This is basically a drug that is acceptable, the only real victory will be in exposing it for it's harm, the way the drug/alcohol war is being faught, "Just say No". Obviously religous people can drive while on God, but the argument that it does impare your decision making does hold true.

That is very similar to what I was trying to express.  However, its not just that theists ignore logic - they operate on a completely different level than us.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think your

I think your approach might be on the right track. The more I think about it the more it seems plausible that this could be analogous to any other compulsive or addictive behavior (Gambling or Pornography) for example. Not that i'm condemning either, but the responcibility in our society exist around them since the negative effects are recognized.

I believe the vast majority of gamblers for example recognize the dangers and limit themselves, it's the minority who indulge this behavior and crave the euphoric effects, do to a steady increase in tolerance levels, that we identify as in trouble.

Does this hold true in a religous person, are there those who indulge this impulse and dive further into their faith in order to feel the same level of euphoria? I would assume at some point reasoning is lost if that's the case and their logic goes to the wayside, while the "substance" begins making the desicions like any other compulsive behavior.

Just a thought...

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dammit! I wrote a

Dammit! I wrote a well-thought-out response to you and somehow I lost it. When I clicked on this thread, I expected it to be there and it wasn't...D'OH!

Oh well, here is try number two.

neptewn wrote:

Is religion also visible at the genetic level, as this disease or even some mental disorders? i've been looking to see if there has been any studies done. It would explain it's inheritability.

Religion does carry similar qualities, it seems logical to look for parralels in those areas in regards to recovery. This is basically a drug that is acceptable, the only real victory will be in exposing it for it's harm, the way the drug/alcohol war is being faught, "Just say No". Obviously religous people can drive while on God, but the argument that it does impare your decision making does hold true.

Have you ever tried to talk a drug addict out of doing drugs, trust me logic does not work....

I strongly suspect there is a genetic component to religion, mostly because of its ubiquitousness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe every single culture has created some form of religion. This tells me two things: 1) religion is normal (gack!) and 2) the content of the various religions is not true. If the content was true, every culture would share the same religion. I suppose one of them could have it right, but which one? Maybe it's some remote Pygmy village in the Congo. Eye-wink For the most part, religions are mutually exclusive factually (in the loosest sense of the term).

Richard Dawkins explores this idea in The God Delusion. His idea is that religion is a memetical parasite that has attached itself to humanity.

Religion itself may respond to a kind of "natural selection." The religions that survive the longest tend to be the ones that offer the greatest incentives (eternal bliss) and the greatest punishments (eternal torture). Religion also forces adherents to stay part of the group or risk ostracization. Many of us have stories of lost friendships, strained familial relationships, even shunning. And I'd bet almost all the American atheists in this forum can relate to the pain of being in most hated minority in America.

Can logic and reason overcome these huge obstacles? In some cases, yes; in others, no. There is a huge emotional component to this issue that needs to be addressed.

(I probably said it better in the post that got lost. Eye-wink )

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote: I think

neptewn wrote:

I think your approach might be on the right track. The more I think about it the more it seems plausible that this could be analogous to any other compulsive or addictive behavior (Gambling or Pornography) for example. Not that i'm condemning either, but the responcibility in our society exist around them since the negative effects are recognized.

I believe the vast majority of gamblers for example recognize the dangers and limit themselves, it's the minority who indulge this behavior and crave the euphoric effects, do to a steady increase in tolerance levels, that we identify as in trouble.

Does this hold true in a religous person, are there those who indulge this impulse and dive further into their faith in order to feel the same level of euphoria? I would assume at some point reasoning is lost if that's the case and their logic goes to the wayside, while the "substance" begins making the desicions like any other compulsive behavior.

Just a thought...

It reminds me of a point from the "10 Reasons Why Beer is Better Than Jesus" list: If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you stop.

richard955
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you. Iruka

I agree with you.

Iruka Naminori wrote:

On an Internet forum some of our basic humanness is stripped away. We read each other's words and sometimes respond rather differently than we would if we either knew the person or met him / her face to face.

There are some forums like exchristian.net which try to fill this social need on the internet but I doubt that the internet is the proper medium for such an organization.

Real life gathering, like a social club would be a better option. This makes the solution very hard to implement in my opinion.

On the other hand I see "Center of Inquiry", JREF, "Richard Dawkins Foundatation" and probably many other organizations, which are dedicated to some of the same goals. Maybe there is a way to bring everyone together. (sound like a nice dream, at least)

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps I can offer a

Perhaps I can offer a question as a point for focus:

Can we realistically expect our communities (or numbers) to grow if we don't offer human services like religious communities have been doing for centuries? Will offering out our own hand help others to accept it?

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Can we

Quote:
Can we realistically expect our communities (or numbers) to grow if we don't offer human services like religious communities have been doing for centuries? Will offering out our own hand help others to accept it?

No, we cannot thrive if we do not put at least the same effort religion puts into emotional concerns.  Religion provides comfort and love, albeit often imagined, and we, as heathens, should not be able to provide as much emotional support as they do.

For us to really start changing people's minds, we must start changing hearts.