animals and religion

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
animals and religion

of course animals have no concept of religion, but where would they stand if they did? based on the pets in my home:

cats: cats would either be atheist(there can't be anything more superior than them, now can there?) or they would be theist purely for the purpose of control and domination. they laugh at the notion of anyone or anything controlling them or their destiny. possibly buddhist, because of their ability to meditate(nap) for hours and stare seemingly at nothing for hours and hours. sidenote: cats would probably demand that humans bow to the egyptian patheon of Bastet, the goddess of cats.

dogs: the ultimate fence sitters, agnostic most likely. the dog's attitude is that they just want to get along with everybody and whatever makes you happy is cool with them. just rub their belly once in a while.

hamsters: the only real interest a hamster would have in religion is whether or not it would fit in their cheeks. bibles make good bed liners.

rats: rats worship one thing and one thing only: food. they might possibly be wiccan, worshiping Saturn, the roman god of harvest. but they could just as easily worship a trash can full of leftovers.

giunea pigs: definitely theist, fearful of everything and happy to beg to anyone or anything that will provide them with food. they squeal in unison, if one does it they all do it. definite followers. 

rabbits: most likely atheist, viewing all the fuss over religious matters trivial and silly.  but if forced to choose a higher power, they would probably worship the norse goddess Gefion, the goddess of fertility.

lizards: without a doubt, our leopard gecko would worship the sun, basking in all it's glory.  

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
bump!!

bump!!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: cats:

djneibarger wrote:

cats: cats would either be atheist(there can't be anything more superior than them, now can there?) or they would be theist purely for the purpose of control and domination. they laugh at the notion of anyone or anything controlling them or their destiny.

Great post!

My cats would only be theist if they were in absolute charge.  After all, I more than tithe to them. 

If they weren't in absolute charge, they're definitely freethinkers.

Thanks for the laugh!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would think hamsters ready

I would think hamsters ready to sign up for any religion that did not end with a ceremony in which they ended up in someone's posterior.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Delightful post, we have

Delightful post, we have kept many of the same pets.

I am currently thinking about keeping an ant colony, these are more of a manifestation of the Ancient Egyptian culture. Complete with Pharoahs and impressive mounds.....my cat will probably eyeball them intently too...luckily he is a genial Giza.

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.