reviews/recommendations

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
reviews/recommendations

I was wondering what the general feelings would be about creating another section in the forums for reviews and recommendations of various media, e.g books/documentaries for reference purposes and entertainment.

I often go to the library and/or buy new books and it would be great to see some more recommendations!  They need not even be reference material I suppose, for example I recommend anybody read Poul Anderson books, especially Tau Zero!  They're very pro-human and science.

Thoughts?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
FWIW, I think that's a

FWIW, I think that's a pretty spiffy idea.  I don't do the programming, however, so I don't know how much of a pain in the ass it would be vs. the potential gain.

I'd be happy to contribute some synopsis style reviews of a few of the books I've read that aren't commonly mentioned.

Also, FWIW, I think if any atheist hasn't read "The Authoritarian Specter" by Robert Altmeyer, they're kind of like a surgeon who didn't bother to read a basic anatomy text.

Critical reading for those who wish to understand the mind of a fundamentalist theist of any brand name.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome! I've not put that

Awesome! I've not put that on my list of things to get, that's quite a pricey book though, will have to save up hehe.

Keep them coming!

Razaki
Razaki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm...this idea would be

Hmm...this idea would be absolutely great for me, I know that much. With as interested as I am in learning of atheistic media, whether in book form or in video. Being able to avoid wasting money by knowing what is actually worth the price would be extremely helpful.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Awesome! I've not

Quote:

Awesome! I've not put that on my list of things to get, that's quite a pricey book though, will have to save up hehe.

Keep them coming!

Amazon.com often has used books.  Just keep checking there, and you can probably get it much cheaper.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pardon me, that was a typo

Pardon me, that was a typo on my part.  When I said I had "not" put it on my list of things to get, I intended to write "now".

However, yes, it is still very expensive, so I will periodically check amazon for used copies.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's an 'odd' request. 

Here's an 'odd' request.  My library of reference books grow, but they are somewhat one sided in favour of atheism.  I don't have a great problem with this, as most reference books of this sort are rebuttals of specific theistic arguements.  I also watch and read transcripts of debates when I can.

However, I'd like to get a book or two that is entirely pro-theism, and sets out the theistic arguements without contention at every turn.  I know it's a hard task, but I'd also like to not completely waste my money on complete garbage.

So, all that said, does anybody have any recommendations for anything of this sort?  I've had one recommendation for Lee Strobel's "the case for faith" any thoughts?  any others?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure... C.S. Lewis - Mere

Sure...

C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity, is a staple of the repertoire.

More than a Carpenter, Josh McDowell...

In fact, you could spend weeks just reading Josh McDowell... Evidence that demands a verdict, Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics ask about Christianity (or something like that... It's not on my shelf anymore.)

The Edge of Evolution by Behe...

Honestly, if you read all of that, you'll have a pretty solid grasp on most theist arguments.  Once you read a few dozen books, you'll know for sure that there really are only a handful of arguments, and each book just puts a different wrapping paper on a previously trounced idea.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote: Here's an

phooney wrote:

Here's an 'odd' request. My library of reference books grow, but they are somewhat one sided in favour of atheism. I don't have a great problem with this, as most reference books of this sort are rebuttals of specific theistic arguements. I also watch and read transcripts of debates when I can.

However, I'd like to get a book or two that is entirely pro-theism, and sets out the theistic arguements without contention at every turn. I know it's a hard task, but I'd also like to not completely waste my money on complete garbage.

So, all that said, does anybody have any recommendations for anything of this sort? I've had one recommendation for Lee Strobel's "the case for faith" any thoughts? any others?

The God Theory by Bernard Haisch

God's Universe by Owen Gingerich 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Captain, the review of The

Captain, the review of The God Theory sounds an awful lot like pantheism to me.  Is he espousing a god beyond nature, or a natural phenomenon?

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Captain, the review of The God Theory sounds an awful lot like pantheism to me. Is he espousing a god beyond nature, or a natural phenomenon?

Yes, his arguments are basically pantheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I've put them on my wishlist and will now keep an eye on the prices while I wait for a bargain.  So much to read and only finite time...  I picked up the Lee Strobel book as I spotted it for £0.01.

Here's a quick recommendation for Voiderest (sp?) due to one of his threads in the Science forum:

Genesis by Poul Anderson

"Artificial intelligence has been developed to a point where human intelligence can be uploaded into a computer, achieving a sort of hybrid immortality.  Astronaut Christian Brannock welcomes this technology, technology that will make it possible for him to achieve his dream and explore the stars.

A billion years later, Branock is dispatched to Earth to check on some strange anomalies.  While there he meets Laurinda Ashcroft, another hybrid upload.  Brannock and Laurinda join forces and investigate Gaia, the supermind dominating the planet, and learn the truth of her terrifying and secret plans for Earth."

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the Lee Strobel book

Well, the Lee Strobel book arrived today.... call me optimistic, but I had thought the case for faith would be a little bigger lol

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Well, the Lee

Quote:
Well, the Lee Strobel book arrived today.... call me optimistic, but I had thought the case for faith would be a little bigger lol

ROFL

Wait til you read it.  It's about 3 pages of actual "case" and about 180 pages of fluff.

And, it's one of the better ones out there, according to most theists.

Books about atheism