Jesus and American G.I.'s died for you!

healthy.addictions
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Jesus and American G.I.'s died for you!

I got this letter from a friend who's currently serving in Iraq. I would love to tell him off for him sending this to me, but I think I'll wait til' he gets back to the states in August.......That is, unless you guys know how I could respond to this, still being an asshole, but in a "nice" way...>.<It's sad, but this is how a lot of the people that I know from good ol' military-life-land feel, and feel strongly about. (Oh, and just to clarify, but sad I mean sad that people are like this, and not that they're not respecting Islam)-------------------------------------------------------------- This woman should run for president

Written by a housewife from New Jersey and sounds like it! This is one ticked off lady.

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001?

Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan , across the Potomac from our nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania?

Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet?...Well, I don't. I don't care at all.

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia .

I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured: I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank: I don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts: I don't care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and-you guessed it-I don't care !!

If you agree with this viewpoint, pass this on to all your E-mail friends. Sooner or later, it'll get to the people responsible for this ridiculous behavior!

If you don't agree, then by all means hit the delete button. Should you choose the latter, then please don't complain when more atrocities committed by radical Muslims happen here in our great Country! And may I add:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

I have another quote that I would like to add AND.......I hope you forward all this.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Also by.. Ronald Reagan

One last thought for the day:

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America, he said: "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM.
AMEN!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This is one of those dumbass

This is one of those dumbass e mails that keeps getting forwarded. One big difference: American soldiers actually exist.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
How ignorant do you have to

How ignorant do you have to be to think the US was totally uninvolved in Middle Eastern politics before 9/11?

When I was reading that trash, I couldn't help but think there must be an Arabic translation of that email talking about how they'll care about the Imperialists right after they stop dropping bombs on children, etc etc..

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm ashamed I share a state

I'm ashamed I share a state with this woman.  Most people in NJ aren't like this, thankfully.

She's an ignorant twat.  People don't blow themselves up to reach 'nirvana'.  What a moron.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree wholeheartedly with

I agree wholeheartedly with everything that chain e-mail said.

Just kidding. Laughing

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmmm.  I don't remember

Hmmmm.  I don't remember Jesus in the military in any of his fables.  I mean, I appreciate that military men and women have fought for our freedom, but this is a little unsettling.  Also, no one has died in Iraq for America's freedom.  They die there to make certain other people rich.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
This mentality is allowing

This mentality is allowing Americans to die, we lose over 500,000+ americans a year and we spend 5 Billion a year in research to fight it.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/NCI/research-funding

War in Iraq

2003: 46 Billion, 2004: 68 Billion, 2005: 53 Billion, & 2006: 87 Billion because 2974 People died + 24 Missing presumed dead.

They need to stop killing American's with their irrational ideas!

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am I the only person who,

Am I the only person who, when hears or sees the word amen, thinks of this?

For those who don't get it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_break

There was an amen at the end of the message, btw.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: I

LosingStreak06 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with everything that chain e-mail said.

Just kidding. Laughing

Jesus you scared me there for a second. 

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
So how does she explain

So how does she explain Timothy McVeigh then?  You know, the guy responsibile for the second biggest terrorist attrocity committed on American soil and who happened to be a Catholic decorated ex-serviceman?

Yeah.  Exactly.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You wouldn't want to send

You wouldn't want to send what my response would look like.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad you shared this.

I'm glad you shared this. I've had something heavily on my mind regarding the "support the troops" mantra.

I've noticed something: If an American soldier enters a debate either defending our actions in Iraq or saying we have to stay to "finish the job," non-soldiers in the thread defer to the soldier...and I think it's mostly because "support the troops" is nearly as venerated as "say nothing derrogatory about religion."

Granted, an American soldier in Iraq is in the middle of the war and knows things the rest of us don't.  Still, I'm reminded of something one of my history professors used to say: "Never ask a fish about the water." Any soldier with his or her boots on the ground in Iraq is seeing only a very small part of the total picture. That goes for any soldier, no matter what they think of the war in Iraq.

Is my opinion worth as much as that of a soldier who has been to Iraq and seen it? Probably not. But that doesn't mean a soldier who supports the war or "finishing the job" is necessarily right. Why? There are Iraq War veterans and combatants on both sides of the issue. Most of the soldiers I've talked to came back completely against the war and believe we need to get out yesterday because we're a destabilizing force. Yes, that's anecdotal, but I believe 70% of soldiers stationed in Iraq want the war to end now. Someone correct me if that figure is wrong.

I'm sick of the war, sick of the Bushes, sick of Republicans and Democrats who won't end the war even though it looks to be our only valid option. If we stay, there will be bloodshed. If we leave, there will be bloodshed. Most of the strategists and Mid-East experts I've heard believe the presence of our military only contributes to the killing.

Discuss.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

GodsLimits
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm...  I'll take the

Hmmm...

I'll take the controversial position on this one...

First, I'd really suggest not responding as an asshole to this email.  I'd imagine you don't want to put your friend through a long, drawn-out argument while he/she is currently in a really crappy spot in pretty crappy conditions.  All the same, I may say that I don't agree with everything, but that I'm really hoping you're ok, wishing you the best, etc.

Next...if you remove the xtian crap, the mistakes, (Nirvana?) and can see through the obvious frustration/anger...I sort of agree.  To me, this woman sounds scared...and I'd have to say that I am as well.

I do believe that Islam is taking Jihad to the West and I don't think it's only because of our (bullheaded, unrelenting) support for Israel and/or the poor, disadvantaged upbringing of the terrorists. (untrue)  It's because our culture is seeping into theirs and they feel threatened.  As we become more global, the internet is bringing ideas and ways of living that are of some consequence to their leaders/fundamentalists and they are attacking us because of it.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's strange to me that

It's strange to me that there are so many volunteers to die for me, when all I want is for us all to live peacefully. The death I wish for is that of militarism.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

healthy.addictions
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I'm

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I'm glad you shared this. I've had something heavily on my mind regarding the "support the troops" mantra.

I've noticed something: If an American soldier enters a debate either defending our actions in Iraq or saying we have to stay to "finish the job," non-soldiers in the thread defer to the soldier...and I think it's mostly because "support the troops" is nearly as venerated as "say nothing derrogatory about religion."

I personally prefer to say, 'Support the troops, not the war'. I have 3 friends in Iraq right now, and 2 that just got back... so I send out care packages all the friggin time.

Quote:

Granted, an American soldier in Iraq is in the middle of the war and knows things the rest of us don't. 

I think it's just that they know a lot more of the bullshit than we do... well... at least that's just what I've gotten from them.

Quote:

Most of the soldiers I've talked to came back completely against the war and believe we need to get out yesterday because we're a destabilizing force. Yes, that's anecdotal, but I believe 70% of soldiers stationed in Iraq want the war to end now. Someone correct me if that figure is wrong.

I wish I could agree with you on this one, however when I lived in Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejune area, huge USMC town) it wasn't the case. People were only 'tired of the war' because they were tired of getting shot at, hadn't got laid, and were lacking cable television. But everyone there (for the most part) is all gung-ho for the war... but if they aren't, they really can't say much due to getting criticized.

You know, I told my ex-husband (he was in the USMC) that I 'supported the troops but not the war' when he got back, and he was pissed. He told me 'how can you support the troops and not the war? That's bullshit! It would mean that we're fighting there for nothing! You can't have one without the other'. Yep... that's pretty much what I was saying mister.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: Am I the

Ophios wrote:

Am I the only person who, when hears or sees the word amen, thinks of this?

For those who don't get it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_break

There was an amen at the end of the message, btw.

Nope, I think of it too. Dun dun psht duntsh tshtshdunpsht sh!

Sounds better when I beatbox it.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
The whole "support the

The whole "support the troops" line bothers me to no end. I hate that I am somehow not a patriot for speaking out and having a differing opinion (I've been against the war from the start, especially when my friend's brother came back in a box.) And I've respected the troops, but I dont see why I have to support them and take everything they say as true.

I mean, we have a friggen volunteer army. Everyone who joins up knows full well what kind of sacrifice they're making. I have far more respect and support for the past veterans who got a letter in the mail and got pulled into maddening meat grinders to go kill people. Am I glad there are people willing to defend me? Of course I am, but I am not going to hold them in some special reverent place because of it, and if the war they're in really has no merit on my defense and is just for special interests and greed, then I'm not going to just be quiet and "support the troops" because they're being used recklessly and without honor.

As for the email, the "don't care" statement is exactly whats wrong. When you stop caring about others then you are just few precious steps away from being like the crazies who attacked us, and to think that somehow we're a completely innocent victim of terrorism is just... augh.. makes me sick.  

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don’t think you should

I don’t think you should tell your friend off, not because I agree with anything they are saying but because I don’t think it would make any difference. I hate to sound harsh about this especially since the people will likely be seriously injured in some manner, but in my opinion if you go there now in light of all that is know about the situation then you are either a fool or a mercenary and whichever one your are you don’t deserve my sympathy, my respect and much less my support.

I don’t think I’ve ever discussed this in this forum but my father works at walter reed and he treats iraq war veterans. The most common injury suffered by iraq war veterans is actually a kind of brain damage referred to as tbi, here is an abstract from the Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation:

“Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is an important source of morbidity in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Although penetrating brain injuries are more readily identified, closed brain injuries occur more commonly. Explosion or blast injury is the most common cause of war injuries. The contribution of the primary blast wave (primary blast injury) in brain injury is an area of active research. Lessons learned from the sports concussion and civilian mild TBI literature are useful. Individuals with TBI and posttraumatic stress disorder require treatment of both conditions. Families and communities need to be cognizant of the needs of these returning veterans.”

(C) 2006 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.

Our government cut funding to research that kind of brain injury in 2006. It is likely that your friend already has brain damage and if not he has probably been poisoned with radioactive material. At any rate he will not start to consider the consequences of his actions until the cumulative effects of these things start to kill him, I’m sorry to say and at that point it will be too late he will already be dead himself and have contributed to the deaths of countless thousands of innocent civilians. So, no don’t bother.

There is a consensus with the american people that the war should end now and the government has said no the war will continue indefinitely. This alone is criminal. The only way that it will end is if people refuse to go. I’m not going to go into the street and get tear-gassed and beaten to try to end this war when the people going over there should know better.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft