Anyone have any odd habits?

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone have any odd habits?

Curious I am. Me, I've had a habit for many years now involving fire.

I always have a box of matches with me and often light them throughout the day for no particular reason. Other than the habit reason.

Can't stop, don't want to.

Anyone else? 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't use condiments, with

I don't use condiments, with the exception of steak sauce (preferably A.1.). I put steak sauce on everything. Everything.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I have to do something with

I have to do something with my hands if I'm thinking. Twirl a pen, spin/flip a coin, or tap (in odd patterns). I also have a thing where I will flip "out" my ear while thinking.

As for more ocd things I like even "feeling" numbers. Ones which are divisible of 2s, 3s, 5s, but not 7s for some reason.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've eaten Steak with

I've eaten Steak with chocolate sauce. It wasn't as bad as you think. Or a chicken sandwitch (deil slices) with mustard and a bar of chocolate between the slices of bread.  It is amazing. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote: I've eaten

Magus wrote:
I've eaten Steak with chocolate sauce. It wasn't as bad as you think. Or a chicken sandwitch (deil slices) with mustard and a bar of chocolate between the slices of bread. It is amazing.

With food, delicacy often begins with indelicate mixture.

Personally, I lock doors and collect keys. Everywhere I go I prefer to shut and lock the door behind me. Keys are just neat.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I surf on Lake Erie (not

I surf on Lake Erie (not wind surf - the cowabunga dude surfing)

I am a theist

I am notorious for bad puns (or good ones depending on your point of view) 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Vastet

Susan wrote:
Vastet wrote:
Steak and mustard. Mmmmm.

I haven't tried that, but it sounds good.  Any particular type of mustard?

I'll settle for standard hot dog mustard if that's all that's there, but honey mustard is really good.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vampire Bat-Related Habit

Vampire Bat-Related Habit Smiling 

I had a really odd habit that lingered until my mid-twenties because it wasn't fully conscious.  It illustrates two things: 1) Yes, we do have a subconscious, or at the very least, parts of our brain that aren't continuously aware of other parts and 2) the power of suggestion on the mind of a child.  Kids are programmed to believe their parents--and in my case, my older brother--no matter what. 

Richard Dawkins explains it's a survival mechanism.  We don't have the luxury of learning for ourselves just how dangerous a cliff or a fire is.  Kids can't test things for themselves without dropping dead like flies.  So the child brain is very, very malleable.

When I was very young, my brother told me that vampire bats would fly through my window at night and suck blood out of my toes.  This made quite an impression on me.  It didn't matter that vampire bats are not native to our area or that my bedroom windows were either closed or screened.  I was still terrified of vampire bats flying through the window at night and sucking blood out of my toes.

So I began a nightly ritual of making sure my feet were completely covered so the vampire bats couldn't suck blood out of my toes.  I was a little worried about the rest of my body, too, so I never felt comfortable without being covered from my neck to my toes in a fairly heavy blanket.

Every night I would carefully cover my body--especially the feet--to protect myself from vampire bats.

In my mid-twenties I lived in a ramshackle cabin in Twain Harte, a beautiful pine- and fir-laden part of the county.  It was one room and a bathroom that I shared with my parrot and whatever young parrots I happened to be raising at the time.  I kept it spotless (which seems strange now because my current state of health won't allow much housework...this place is a dump!).

There was a small bed next to one of the windows and for the first time since childhood I paid attention to what my mind was thinking:

"I have to make sure I'm covered so the vampire bats don't fly through the window and suck blood out of my toes."

I lay in bed, blinking at the absurdity of a ritual that had mostly been on authomatic pilot for twenty years.  Then I started laughing.  People are so complex and so fucking WEIRD.  I mean, had I really believed vampire bats would fly through the window and suck blood out of my toes?  I guess I had.  My actions certainly attested to that premise.

But as soon as the absurdity of the belief was out in the open where it could be scrutinized, it fell away.  After that, I made an effort to leave my feet uncovered if it would be more comfortable...and it felt strange!  I felt unprotected!  Of course the weird belief about vampire bats was absurd.  My mind no longer believed it, but it took awhile for my emotions to catch up.

Now I am happy to say my fear of vampire bats is cured.  i'm no longer irrational when it comes to the idea of vampire bats flying through my window to suck blood out of my toes.

YEA for me!!!!

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: Mashed

Cassiopeia wrote:

Mashed potatoes with ketchup all over, a mixture of hot(potatoes) and cold(ketchup)Smile

Wow!!  I used to do this before I discovered gravy.  I kinda miss it because it made my potatoes pink.

I dip my french fries in my chocolate shake.  That's right, I said it!  French fries in a chocolate shake.  If you think that is gross it is because you haven't yet tried it so screw off.  Been eating my fries for 25 years that way and will not/cannot stop.  My kids jaws dropped the first time they saw me do it and then they tried it.  They are hooked.

I cannot talk on the phone without drawing/doodling.  I can't. Usually I make intricate geometric designs.

I also cannot fall asleep without reading for a bit.  I have been on vacation and forgotten to bring a book and have grabbed the room service menu to read.  (Funny that it didn't occur to me to grab the bible.  I would have reached for the phone book if the menu had not been available.)

I am an obsessive list maker.  I make lists for everything including making lists.  On a good day I will make up to 10 different lists for different things.  My ex used to joke that I needed a list to get out of bed in the morning. 

See you all in the institution!

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Cassiopeia

jce wrote:
Cassiopeia wrote:

Mashed potatoes with ketchup all over, a mixture of hot(potatoes) and cold(ketchup)Smile

Wow!! I used to do this before I discovered gravy. I kinda miss it because it made my potatoes pink.

I dip my french fries in my chocolate shake. That's right, I said it! French fries in a chocolate shake. If you think that is gross it is because you haven't yet tried it so screw off. Been eating my fries for 25 years that way and will not/cannot stop. My kids jaws dropped the first time they saw me do it and then they tried it. They are hooked.

Wendy's frosty with french fries and chicken nuggets.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Cassiopeia

jce wrote:
Cassiopeia wrote:

Wow!! I used to do this before I discovered gravy. I kinda miss it because it made my potatoes pink.

I dip my french fries in my chocolate shake. That's right, I said it! French fries in a chocolate shake. If you think that is gross it is because you haven't yet tried it so screw off. Been eating my fries for 25 years that way and will not/cannot stop. My kids jaws dropped the first time they saw me do it and then they tried it. They are hooked.

I cannot talk on the phone without drawing/doodling. I can't. Usually I make intricate geometric designs.

I also cannot fall asleep without reading for a bit. I have been on vacation and forgotten to bring a book and have grabbed the room service menu to read. (Funny that it didn't occur to me to grab the bible. I would have reached for the phone book if the menu had not been available.)

I am an obsessive list maker. I make lists for everything including making lists. On a good day I will make up to 10 different lists for different things. My ex used to joke that I needed a list to get out of bed in the morning.

See you all in the institution!

[retching sounds]  french fries and milkshakes!?!!?  I think you're the best, JCE, but ewwwww.  LOL.

Fine, I'll add a little more.  I have to count to three before I step on an escalator.  I'm convinced this is because my brother pushed me down once.  

When I get really anxious I hold my hand in front of my face, over my mouth.  It's kind of subtle but those who have noticed this habit say it's very weird and kind of disturbing.  I also lick my lips a lot when I'm nervous.

I WILL NOT use condiments from a restaurant.  It's disgusting and unsanitary.

If you let any metal object (fork, spoon, etc) clack against your teeth in my presence, I will kill you. 

If you chew with your mouth open or, even worse, make smacking sounds, I will throw up.  Then I will kill you. Seriously, as a kid I had my own dinner table away from everyone else because shit like this made me crazy; I can't stand watching/hearing people eat.  (and I waited table for 6 years)

The sound of gargling also makes me throw up for some reason.

I have texture issues.  Certain foods make me gag on texture alone, no matter how good they are.  

Hey, JCE, can we share a room at the institution?  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Hey,

pariahjane wrote:

Hey, JCE, can we share a room at the institution?

Of course!  But it is looking like we are all going to have to eat at separate tables.  We can maybe group the food separators together, but the rest of us will need to eat in sound-proofed cubicles. 

So no condiments at a restaurant, huh?  Not even little individual packets of stuff?

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, we're really giving

Shit, we're really giving Satan alot to fuck with us in hell.

Eating mixed foods while metal utensils clack against teeth, with vampire bats eating our toes and food menus to help us fall asleep.

Meanwhile the weather gets interesting and we can't watch it because we're all trying to piss on the same course but none of us can get the advantage because we have to count repeatedly and draw geometric figures of extreme complexity.

And this is just the tip of it.Cry

I suck at signatures.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: If you think

jce wrote:

If you think that is gross it is because you haven't yet tried it so screw off.

LOL! Ill just add this to my LIST of why your one of my favorite posters here. That was awesome.  

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
How is it that we've only

How is it that we've only had two theists post in this thread.

Pineapple, I don't think Kelly Clarkson counts.

LosingStreak, I don't think that making racist remarks to total strangers is actually very nice (if you actually do that).  The pun thing I believe.

Come on, theists.  'Fess up.  Share a little of your OCD with us!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe theists don't like to

Maybe theists don't like to publicly admit fallibility.

politicalhumanist
politicalhumanist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have been biting my finger

I have been biting my finger nails for years. Oh course, I have mental health issues. However, recently I have been using willpower to stop biting my nails.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I constantly click pens

I constantly click pens while I'm surfing the web

Oh and 

Sometimes in private, I like to dress myself up as Shirley Temple and spank myself with a hockey stick.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: LosingStreak,

Susan wrote:

LosingStreak, I don't think that making racist remarks to total strangers is actually very nice (if you actually do that).

Yeah, it probably isn't very nice, but I do it anyway, because I figure that the "damage" being done is negligible. I was a very big fan of Andy Kaufman when I was younger (hell, who am I kidding, I still am), and his desire to play the role of the villian ended up sticking with me.

Rave
User is offlineOffline
When I was a kid I used to

When I was a kid I used to do everything in sixes - walk in multiples of six steps, count street lamps, cars etc. in sets of six,

When I walk up stairs I calculate or adjust how many steps I take at a time so that by the time I'm at the top I've taken an equal number of steps with each foot.

When I'm walking on something with cracks that I can feel through my shoes I walk so that I will feel the cracks in the middle of my feet, then if I miss on a step and they are a little bit forward of the middle, do it a little bit behind to 'make up for it' (an vice-versa) then continue trying to get it in the middle.

I constantly click my mouse every 1-10 seconds really hard, even if I don't need to.

When looking at a number, or group of numbers I add, subtract, multiply and divide them from eachother so I can get each digit as the result of operations of the others.

When someone yawns and doesn't do everyone else the courtesy of convering their mouth I stick my finger in their mouth so they get a shock when they open their eyes and/or feel it when they close their mouth (well, only with family and my girlfriend - everyone else I just make it look like I'm going to Smiling

When I was younger I used to bite my nails, but I stopped. Now I chew the skin on the inside of my mouth, usually behind my bottom lip.

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine

Weristgott
User is offlineOffline
So after reading all this,

So after reading all this, I guess I'm pretty normal. But here's my list anyway.

I find it funny how many people can't sleep in an unmade bed. Mainly because I can't sleep in a made bed. First thing I do is ruffle up the covers. I can't sleep with a sheet. The sheet covering the matress is good, but just that and a cover. None of that thin fabric stuff. I have to sleep with two pillows. If I have three, I throw one on the floor. If I have 1 I fold it in half, so it kinda makes two. And I always sleep on my side, with my arm in between the pillows. I also usually sleep in my jeans or pants. Never a shirt and never socks. 

I'm a smoker. So I never leave the house without two lighters and a minimum of 3/4 of a pack of cigarettes. I feel wierd smoking indoors. I hate blowing smoke in other peoples faces, and will go out of my way (holding my breath, or walking downwind) to make sure it doesn't happen. I used to be real secretive about smoking. Even after my parents found out I would still hide it. To the point where on my breaks at work, i would walk a block down the street and behind some trees, so noone would see me. I worked at DQ for 2 years and only one person knew I smoked. I always had a pack of gum in my pocket (dentine ice, artic chill to be exact). I have grown out of the secretive aspect though. I also alternate cigarette brands. Never the same brand twice in a row, unless I buy a carton.

I never smoke in the car when theres someone else in it, unless they are smoking too. I never use the ashtray or lighter in the car. And I always smoke with the windows open, even in rain and winter. 

Noone is allowed to drive my car, except my mother. And I get really pissy when she moves the seat. I never ride shotgun in my own car.  

I am constantly thirsty. If there is liquid in front of me I will drink it. Makes it really expensive to go to the bar with friends. I drink my drinks so fast and end up drinking twice as much as them. I used to eat things one thing at a time. Meat, veggies, whatever. (never in a specific order, but never a bite of each) I also used to drink before eating and drink after eating, but never in between.

I constantly "pat myself down". I.e. patting my pockets to make sure i have everything. Wallet is always on the back right. Cigarettes are always in the opposite pocket as the lighter. Cell phone in the same pocket as the lighter. Coins in my left pocket. Nothing in my rear left pocket (with the exception of an umbrella or soda bottle I don't have a hand to carry.

I almost never have a shirt or shoes on at home. Unless its really cold.  

I can almost never go anywhere without my ipod, unless I'm with friends.

I have a specific order I wash myself in the shower. 

I am compulsive about being on time. Tell me be there at 5, I'm there at 4:45. If I think I'm going to be late, or even one time, I will call ahead, or get very very nervous. Driving/walking places takes a minimum of 30 mins, and runs in 30 minute increments. Walking to class takes 10 mins, but I leave 30 mins before class starts. It takes 20 mins to get to the doctors, I leave 30 mins before.

I rarely spend coins. I save them up and take them to the bank. And I usually spend the biggest bill I have first. If I had a 1 and a 20, I would break the 20 to pay for a 50 cent newspaper.  

I usually carry two sets of keys on me. At one point I had three sets of car keys, a set in my shoe (wrapped in the laces) a set in my wallet and a set in my pocket.

Never wear white socks.

I think the wierdest thing I have is I always imagine scenerios that never happen. For instance I'll accidently bump into someone, and imagine that they took offense to it. We would get into a fight, and I knew exactly what I'd say and do. But it never happens. Or I'll imagine whole conversations with people, like what I would say and so forth. But then if it came to it I would never say anything. Very passive aggressive of me, i know. 

Ok so maybe I'm not so normal. And I had to cut this "short" so it wouldn't run too long. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weristgott wrote:  I

Weristgott wrote:

I think the wierdest thing I have is I always imagine scenerios that never happen. For instance I'll accidently bump into someone, and imagine that they took offense to it. We would get into a fight, and I knew exactly what I'd say and do. But it never happens. Or I'll imagine whole conversations with people, like what I would say and so forth. But then if it came to it I would never say anything. Very passive aggressive of me, i know. 

Ok so maybe I'm not so normal. And I had to cut this "short" so it wouldn't run too long. 

Nope, sorry, you're just as batshit crazy as the rest of us.

I wonder though, does anyone else do this?  I do this as well.  especially when I'm on the train or subway.  I have a friend who says she also is constantly imagining scenarios as well.  I thought we were the only two oddballs.  Perhaps this is more common that I thought.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Valkrys (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Are we related?

Just wondering if we were twins separated at birth......I have almost all of those habits. Glad I don't feel alone.