Anyone have any odd habits?

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone have any odd habits?

Curious I am. Me, I've had a habit for many years now involving fire.

I always have a box of matches with me and often light them throughout the day for no particular reason. Other than the habit reason.

Can't stop, don't want to.

Anyone else? 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like to "walk" around

I like to "walk" around grocery stores on my hands.

Really, anything that makes for an awkward social situation in public while simultaneously not posing any real harm to anyone is like crack to me.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to eat my package of

I have to eat my package of Starbursts in a specific order.  Yellow, red, orange, pink. 

I believe the term for that is OCD.   

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
One habit I used to have is

One habit I used to have is I would say something, and then silently mouth the words to myself. A friend saw me doing it, and through peer pressure and harassment I got over it, heh.

One I have now is if I let my beard get too long I start pulling hairs out while I'm working. Usually ones that seem too long to me. I especially do it when I'm lost in thought or working on something. 

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always check under my

I always check under my bed/dresser/desk and in my closet for bugs with a flashlight before I go to sleep.

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
The internet isn't big

The internet isn't big enough for my list of odd habits.  The one that stands out right now is my habit of walking outside to watch a major thunderstorm.  Lightening, hail, everything.  The more violent the storm, the more likely I am to be found standing outside watching it. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: I

LosingStreak06 wrote:

I like to "walk" around grocery stores on my hands.

Does that explain your avatar?  Wink

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:

jce wrote:

The internet isn't big enough for my list of odd habits. The one that stands out right now is my habit of walking outside to watch a major thunderstorm. Lightening, hail, everything. The more violent the storm, the more likely I am to be found standing outside watching it.

I used to do that when I lived in Midwest and Near the Gulf. Sadly I am in Northern California in a boring weather city. I didn't care Hurricane or Tornado, I was outside watching. I miss lightning the most.

Edited: To make more vague 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: The internet

jce wrote:

The internet isn't big enough for my list of odd habits. The one that stands out right now is my habit of walking outside to watch a major thunderstorm. Lightening, hail, everything. The more violent the storm, the more likely I am to be found standing outside watching it.

I'm seriously starting to think we are related.  I do this too.  I like to stand out on the porch and just listen and watch.  It's amazing.

There are some odd habits that are just so weird they should never be mentioned.  LOL. 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
when i eat a cold sandwich

when i eat a cold sandwich i won't eat the last bite. it's like it's tainted or something. i just won't do it. it grosses me out.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

hutch
User is offlineOffline
Quote: pariahjane: There

Quote:
pariahjane: There are some odd habits that are just so weird they should never be mentioned. LOL.

Those are the ones that SHOULD be mentioned. Those are the ones that are interesting. Though I can understand wishing to mention them anonymously. Wink That's also why I'm not revealing any, I don't have any I'd be willing to be associated with lol.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I eat cereal for dinner. I

I eat cereal for dinner.

I too enjoy a good thunder storm. The more flash, the better.

I'm anal about composting and recycling... so much so that I'll barely have enough garbage to put out a single bag once every two to three weeks. 

I sleep with the radio on.

I prefer bare feet to shoes and socks. I think this is a happy leftover from my childhood.

That's about it. 

There are two seasons in Canada, Hockey season and not-Hockey season.

Canada: 16% Atheist and growing.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I listen to Kelly Clarkson

I listen to Kelly Clarkson before I go to bed >_>

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's see..... Sheets have

Let's see.....

Sheets have to be tucked in under the mattress at the foot of the bed.

All shirts in  the closet have to face the same way.

All long sleeve shirts go together, all short sleeve go together, shirts for yardwork go together.

Shoes all lined up by pairs in the closet.

Wash in a specific order in the shower.

Always wear my watch except in the shower.

Always have my keys and wallet in my pockets, never put them on the table or counter when I come home.

All date formatting or name formatting in a spreadsheet must be uniform.

Always wear a belt.

Always wear socks with shoes, never wear my shoes without socks.

A bit compulsive about things being done my way like, when someone else is trying to cook in my kitchen.

ummmmm......

There are many more but this is a good start. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Let's

BGH wrote:

Let's see.....

All shirts in the closet have to face the same way.

All long sleeve shirts go together, all short sleeve go together, shirts for yardwork go together.

Always have my keys and wallet in my pockets, never put them on the table or counter when I come home.

Always wear a belt.

A bit compulsive about things being done my way like, when someone else is trying to cook in my kitchen.

ummmmm......

OCD much?  I think you and Pariahjane are related.  Oh wait.  I forgot, I am pretty much the same way but about different things.  Perhaps we are triplets separated by age?

To those who commented on storms:  They are awesome, aren't they??  It has been thunderstorming here and I love watching the huge streaks of lightening!   

Gosh, what a great thread!  I can't wait to see what others have to say.  Hmmm...another odd habit:  Nosy about other people. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Let's

BGH wrote:

Let's see.....

All shirts in the closet have to face the same way.

Always wear a belt.

ummmmm......

I'm humbled by your OCD-ness. I don't feel so bad about most of my habits now!  Sticking out tongue

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a pig of a

I'm a pig of a housekeeper*, but used/damp towels MUST be folded correctly and hung on the rack.

I'm a pig of a housekeeper*, but the area where I fix my kitties' meals is spotless and the dishes scrubbed for each meal. 

I will buy two items if I can't make up my mind, but will not return the one I decide I don't want.

I will squeeze the extreme last teensy bit of toothpaste from the tube.

I will use the last scrap of soap or add a tablespoon of water to the liquid soap to get every last bit.

Sit and chat with me while I'm cooking, but stay the fuck out of my kitchen when I'm working.  Do not attempt to help.

I never know what shoes I'm going to want to wear, so about 12 pair are in a scattered pile on the floor of the bedroom.* 

On weekends, I don't sleep in bed.  I become "One With My Chair" in front of the TV (with full intention of going right to sleep).*

I keep a bed pillow in my chair.*

I cannot wear anything on my legs or feet in my own house.* 

My kitties get their "annual" checkup every 7 or 8 months.

My kitties go to the vet if they so much as meow incorrectly.

I have lots and lots of watches, but wear the same one day after day until the battery dies or the band breaks.  Then I go to the next one. 

I can see a clock from almost anywhere in my house. 

I keep huge Diet Coke travel mugs (approximately 60 ounces) in several places so I don't have to carry them around:  Work, car, upstairs, downstairs.

I keep a stash of 2 liter Diet Cokes in the trunk of my car so it's available anywhere I am. 

I have a pair of reading glasses for each "location" I might need them:  Work, purse, upstairs and downstairs. 

When traveling, I watch the odometer and calculate the percentage of the trip that's been completed. 

I guess that's a starter list.....

*Guests are never subjected to this.  I clean like a fool and act like a reasonable human being if company is coming. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: To those who

jce wrote:

To those who commented on storms: They are awesome, aren't they?? It has been thunderstorming here and I love watching the huge streaks of lightening!

As for storms, I would prefer to be under the bed (if only I could fit).

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: To those who

jce wrote:

To those who commented on storms: They are awesome, aren't they?? It has been thunderstorming here and I love watching the huge streaks of lightening!

We used to get these great storms roll up the valley where I grew up. Lightning, thunder, hail, rain... they would come in with a fury, douse everything and then leave so quickly you might think it was your imagination. My brother and I would sit outside and watch them thunder through and then enjoy the sun that would appear immediately after.

And another odd habit, I horde food. 

There are two seasons in Canada, Hockey season and not-Hockey season.

Canada: 16% Atheist and growing.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont care for lighting

I dont care for lighting and thunder as much as I like that steady downpour of rain that lasts for hours on end and adds a very nice white noise to everything.

Though lately my basement's been flooding, so I hate rain of all kind.

oh, and I thought of a new one, though this is more of a dyslexia thing. I know my right from my left, I know if I need to take a right turn or left turn which way to go, I can visualize right and left very easily. But for the life of me if I cant explain to someone else which direction to go (on a weirder note, I have no problem with compass directions, and can figure out which direction I'm heading quite easily.) 

Dont really know if that counts as a habit, (except for saying "that way" and pointing when someone asks me if they should go right or left, heh.) 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wave to my waste as I

I wave to my waste as I flush it down

ABx
User is offlineOffline
Quote: when i eat a cold

Quote:
when i eat a cold sandwich i won't eat the last bite. it's like it's tainted or something. i just won't do it. it grosses me out.
I actually rarely eat the last bite of anything. For some reason I get to that last bite and my brain just says "done eating now" and my stomach closes up.

I have to fall asleep while doing whatever I'm doing before I go to bed. I cannot get myself to just go to bed at a particular time.

I always have a cup or mug in hand at almost all times. I feel very strange if I go somewhere without having something to drink available at all times.

I keep my wallet and keys on a chain and in my pockets at all times so that I won't lose them.

I almost never sit with my feet on the floor.

I will not drink the same kind of tea all day, I must have as many different kinds of tea as possible throughout the day. This also means that I rarely brew the same tea leaves more than twice (usually just once, unless I'm sure that it will taste just the same and I really want the same kind).

My face must be exposed to open air when sleeping. I'm not claustrophobic, but I feel like I can't breathe if I have even a sheet covering my nose.

I like going out to watch severe weather as well.. not that we have much severe weather in Oregon. I don't really see that as a weird habit, or even a quirk, though. It's really the same reason I like going to the Oregon coast Smiling 

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love thunderstorms too. I

I love thunderstorms too. I often drive around in them.

When I'm looking at a web page, or an email, or an RSS feed, or basically any document that allows selecting text, I continuously select and unselect random portions of it as I go.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's another good one

Here's another good one from me:

I use my mouse cursor to poke peoples avatars in the nose when I am reading the forums.... 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I eat food on a plate

I eat food on a plate couterclockwise.

Food must not touch once on the plate.

I eat anything with bright colors in order of the spectrum.

When on a sidewalk, I must walk with traffic.

I shave before getting in to the shower.

I must do things in threes. (Rap on doors, tap a foot, etc.)

A bed must be made for me to sleep in it, even if I must make it and then go to bed.

I wash glasses three times.

Is that enough of a list.  There is more, but it just gets scary.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

ProfessionalWidow
ProfessionalWidow's picture
User is offlineOffline
OCD?

My husband LOVES rolling around on a grocery cart, full of groceries. It drives me crazy.

I tend to need to count things when I'm nervous or upset. Words, letters, etc... sorta OCD that way.

"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought."
~Graham Greene

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I have trouble falling

If I have trouble falling asleep or if I wake up and need to go back to sleep, I do math problems in my head.  Nothing real elaborate, but I will make up long columns of numbers to add or subtract and then multiply/divide the sum or find the average...things like that.  I honestly thought other people did this until I mentioned it one day in a group of accountants and got a whole lot of strange looks.  They were accountants!  I thought they would understand!

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
To go to sleep, I just

To go to sleep, I just pretend that I am dead and in a coffin.  No better night's sleep than can be found in a coffin.  (I am really in a bed.  This is a sleep method not a fetish.)

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't fall asleep unless

I can't fall asleep unless there is something whirring in the room.  Doesn't matter what it is, fan, air cleaner, A/C, as long as it makes a steady wind sound.  I will also wake up immediately if it gets turned off.  I've caught people turning them off before. 

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I eat food on

Nero wrote:

I eat food on a plate couterclockwise.

Food must not touch once on the plate.

I eat anything with bright colors in order of the spectrum.

When on a sidewalk, I must walk with traffic.

I shave before getting in to the shower.

I must do things in threes. (Rap on doors, tap a foot, etc.)

A bed must be made for me to sleep in it, even if I must make it and then go to bed.

I wash glasses three times.

Is that enough of a list. There is more, but it just gets scary.

Let's get scary.

I Will not touch glossy paper or envolopes because I always get a mental image of myself licking them and nearly vomit when doing so. Have vomitted a few times.

I have a habit of crossing my arms against my chest and will squeeze my milk factories when people are trying to have a serious discussion with me cause I want to see if they'll notice and say anything.

If they don't notice then I'll interrupt them often without ever having anything to actually say.

So I have a habit of messing with people and pushing buttons, hoping to see what kind of reaction I'll get. 

I suck at signatures.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alright, scary is the

Alright, scary is the watchword. 

If people I don't know get too close to me physically, I start to speak loudly to them about whatever is the first noun that pops into my head.

If my name is written on a piece of paper, it is not enough for me to shred the paper.  I must burn it.

I do not allow my photo to be taken.  The last photo I had was 19 years ago.

If I get ink or any mark on my skin, I scrub it until the ink or the skin is gone.

I use lotion on my hands contantly and will not shake the hands of anyone because their hands are too rough.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote: jce

Magus wrote:
jce wrote:

I used to do that when I lived in Midwest and Near the Gulf. Sadly I am in Northern California in a boring weather city. I didn't care Hurricane or Tornado, I was outside watching. I miss lightning the most.

Edited: To make more vague

There's time to run outside during an earthquake...if you can manage it, that is. Eye-wink

I felt one awhile back and posted about it immediately.  We only feel the ones from the volcano at Mammoth Lakes. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AnointedHeathen
User is offlineOffline
I wear headphones or plug

I wear headphones or plug my ears in the bathroom because I hate the sound of waste leaving the body

I can pop both sides of my jaw (just like popping fingers, knees, etc.)

When walking up or down stairs I always have to lead with my left foot

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, as long as we're

Well, as long as we're getting personal and scary, I love (LOVE) making glaringly racist remarks to strangers in public places. I'm not really racist, but there's nothing funnier than the look on the face of that old lady in the grocery line when I lean over to her and whisper "I smell a Jew."

Fucking hilarious. 

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
I cannot stand the noise of

I cannot stand the noise of crinkeling plastic. I hate it. I rarely go to movie theaters because of it. I will leave the area if at all possible. If not possible and the noise is around me, I will tell the person to stop because they are annoying the hell out of me.

I can't stop moving. Ever. I'm always either wiggling my toes, rocking (embaressing, but true) or moving my legs.

Don't ever scrape your teeth on your fork unless it's plastic. My reaction is akin to my plastic reaction.

I can't sleep if my feet are uncovered. I don't feel "safe" for some reason.

I also can't sleep unless I read first. My brain doesn't shut down. I must read to slow it's flow.

I also can't sleep unless my bed was made before I get in it. Sheets tucked in at the end of the bed (a must), and everything really tight. Can't deal with folds or creases. I will spend 10 minutes making the bed right before I go to sleep...

I have an incredible paranoia dealing with bugs. I will leave the room. Husband will kill the bug and I spend the next two hours cleaning everything in that room lest the room is too dirty and attracting critters.

My other odd habit attached to this is the fact that I won't own indoor plants because spiders often live in them. Outdoor are fine. I'll have them hanging everywhere, and I LOVE green, but inside unless fake I can't do it.

I hate clutter. Every six months I go through my house and throw away everything I haven't touched in that time period. If I haven't used it by then, I'm not going to.

I think that's it for now.. Smiling

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to ejaculate on dead

I used to ejaculate on dead bodies and eat human feces.

But since I found this website I’ve been able to keep my pica and necrophilia under control.

Thanks Rational Response Squad!

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: I used to

Gauche wrote:

But since I found this website I’ve been able to keep my pica and necrophilia under control.

Ha!!  You are so gross.  (What does it say about me that I thought this was hilarious?!) 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

LOL!  That's just wrong on so many levels that it's great! 

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I was aiming for the

Yeah, I was aiming for the worst thing anyone could possibly say ever.

They should consider putting that in their banner

Join the Rational Response Squad and stop having sex with dead people and eating crap.

I'm sure you would notice an immediate spike in membership.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

I thought we were only talking about odd habits?  Coprophagy and necrophilia fall within that group?  *begins to edge off into the shadows* I thought that was part of fighting against organized religion.  I had best call my shrink.....

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
An interesting topic. I

An interesting topic.

I used to lie outside for an hour or two looking at the stars every now and then while in the rockies of B.C., but Ontario sucks balls in comparison. Though it does have a lot more lightning storms, so I have replaced the stars with lightning. And aurora borealis, whenever it shows up. Though I did that in B.C. too.

I almost always have to go to sleep on my chest, face down. Though I used to know a guy who beat that out hard core. He couldn't sleep unless he was violently shaking his head in the process. Kind of weird.

And I have almost 0 fear of wildlife. I don't think twice about picking up a bat or chipmunk or snake or whatever. I tend to be careful I don't get mauled, but in general they don't try to bite me anyway. The one and only time wildlife actually made me worried was when I was hiking in B.C. and stumbled across a couple bear cubs with no mother in sight. I walked backwards exactly the same way I'd come. Lol.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: The internet

jce wrote:

The internet isn't big enough for my list of odd habits.  The one that stands out right now is my habit of walking outside to watch a major thunderstorm.  Lightening, hail, everything.  The more violent the storm, the more likely I am to be found standing outside watching it.

Me too,last hurricane that hit here i wanted to go for a walk, the crazy wind was just calling for me to go outside,luckily seeing the sticks and shit flying by at 60mph still made me somewhat fearful.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Great topic. Its great to

Great topic. Its great to know the rest of you are fuckin freaks to.

Let me see what I got off the top of my head.

Lets see. I count everything! EVERYTHING! Such as how many steps it takes to get from my car to my office. Stuff like that and if it dont end in an even number I get a bit upset. Somehow I will make sure whatever I am counting always is an even number in the end. It makes me crazy if its not.

I check all of my piercings every few minutes to make sure they are still there. Nothing pisses me off more than having some of my jewelry fall out. Especially my labrea(sp?) piercing. When its loose I COUNT how many turns I have to make until its tight again. Always an even number! lol. I hate numbers. I cant even do basic math. I have no idea why I have to count everything.

oh yeah. Also I dont go out in public very often because I always think someone is going to start a fight with me. I have no idea why Im so paranoid of that. When my wife starts road raging people I start yelling at her that "Im going to have to get out of the car and get my ass kicked because you cant chill the fuck out!"

Well...that is all for now...... Smiling  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I forgot to mention that I

I forgot to mention that I can and do crack every single joint in my body, including back and neck. I find it a good release of tension, and gets rid of aches. Started when I was playing hockey and got back aches.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I forgot to

Vastet wrote:
I forgot to mention that I can and do crack every single joint in my body, including back and neck. I find it a good release of tension, and gets rid of aches. Started when I was playing hockey and got back aches.
  Hey me too. I can also crack my ribcage right at the sterum.  I can pop my jaw and it makes a really loud annoying sound.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol, You guys are all

Lol, You guys are all fucking nuts!Tongue out I love it.

Agree with everyone afraid of bugs and those who won't allow food to touch on their plate.

Couple of other smaller things I share with people's behaviour here too. Nice to know we may all meet up in the same institution some day! 

I suck at signatures.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: and

Cassiopeia wrote:

and those who won't allow food to touch on their plate.

Aw, come on.  Food can touch.  However, it must be eaten in a specific sequence.

First the vegetable because it's no good cold.

Then the meat because it's probably still warm.

The potato is last because it doesn't matter if it's cold because potatoes are always good.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Cassiopeia

Susan wrote:
Cassiopeia wrote:

and those who won't allow food to touch on their plate.

The potato is last because it doesn't matter if it's cold because potatoes are always good. 

Mashed potatoes with ketchup all over, a mixture of hot(potatoes) and cold(ketchup)Smile

I suck at signatures.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Steak and mustard. Mmmmm.

hutch
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure if this

I'm not sure if this qualifies or not, but I actually love puns. It takes a lot of intelligence and quick wit to come up with those, and when someone does I think it's so awesome I laugh out loud. Which I also do a lot of (laughing that is, not punning (and I only said that so I could using punning in a sentence))...I think I might laugh more than anyone else on the planet. Hmm, if I could harness that energy I could probably power my whole house! lol

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: Mashed

Cassiopeia wrote:

Mashed potatoes with ketchup all over, a mixture of hot(potatoes) and cold(ketchup)Smile

Of course.  Add a little (melted) butter under that ketchup and you've got a banquet.

I grew up having ketchup on just about everything.  (There were five in the family and Mom bought ketchup 6 gallons at a time.)

I still like it on scrambled eggs and omelets.

If you don't have decent gravy for turkey dinner - use ketchup on the turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes. 

Vastet wrote:

I haven't tried that, but it sounds good.  Any particular type of mustard?