Atheism is so hot right now

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is so hot right now

If people aren't familiar with gawker.com, it's the website that first introduced me to the most wonderful word ever: twatwaffle. It's basically the most snarky, sarcastic, snotty douchebag-y website around. And I love it. Anyhoo, I thought this article might make a few people chuckle. Definitely peruse the links that follow the article. They are always fun.
http://gawker.com/news/everlasting-godstoppers/atheism-is-so-hot-right-now-271301.php

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
that's a pretty interesting

that's a pretty interesting article. "god is not great" really is an excellent book.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nice to be popular...

Nice to be popular...

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha!  I loved the comments

Ha!  I loved the comments that followed the article! 

Here is my question - was theism ever hot?  LOL 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whew!! That worried me.

Whew!!

That worried me. When I saw the title of the thread I thought you might have gone off the deep end and you were now trying to imitate Paris Hilton, in reference to things say, "that's hot".

You don't know how glad I was to see that was the title of the article. 

Know1Self
Know1Self's picture
User is offlineOffline
On Fox News, yesterday, they

On Fox News, yesterday, they were talking about atheism as a new "fad" and referred to all the new books out on the topic.  Of course being "fair and balanced," the only guest to speak was a Catholic priest who tried to argue that since most of the new books are by scientists and they can't find God under their microscopes, these authors are out of their realm of expertise.  Apparently, faith is not a personal matter but is something that must be handed down from professional theologians who are the only legitimate God-experts.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: that's a

djneibarger wrote:
that's a pretty interesting article. "god is not great" really is an excellent book.

Dawkins book was much more technically detailed but I found it much easyer to read. Hitchens, as happy as I am to see another atheist hit the best seller list, seemed to be holding 5 different conversations in his head on every page. I find him hard to follow. I find his simple premisis easy to follow, but he seems to go off in 5 different directions all at once.

I am sure it is me though. Some people follow liner "one story at a time" easyer to read, while others may find it borring. I myself have a non-multitasking brain and like to hear "one thing at a time."

For those who find Hitchens easy to read, more power to you. I'm glad he wrote the book. I myself just dont like all the juggling he seems to do with multiple stories and topics at the same time. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Quote: One

Quote:
Quote:
One experienced publishing veteran suggests that Mr. Hitchens will likely earn more than $1 million on this book.
  Wow, that'll settle more than a few bar tabs.

It's a proven fact that Hitchen's cannot speak, let alone refute thousands of years of popular delusion, without 7 or 8 ounces of scotch and three packs of cigarettes. 

In all seriousness, his book is utterly stunning and a beautiful compliment to Sam, Daniel and Richard's works.  I especially like it given that I'm a godless, blue-state, college-educated, intellectually savvy, northeastern/new england liberal elitist who likes wine, cheese, beach house weekends and j.crew. 

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com