The Screwfly Solution (Religion v. Women)

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Screwfly Solution (Religion v. Women)

Masters of Horror finally produced a show based on one of my favorite short stories by one of my favorite authors, Alice Sheldon aka James Tiptree, Jr..  It's the classic tale of science versus religion, reason versus faith, and man versus - well, you'll see.

The original story is told as a series of letters exchanged between a biologist and his wife:

"We discussed the book, how man must purify himself and show God a clean world. He said some people raise the question of how can man reproduce without women but such people miss the point. The point is that as long as man depends on the old filthy animal way God won't help him. When man gets rid of his animal part which is woman, this is the signal God is awaiting. Then God will reveal the new true clean way, maybe angels will come bringing new souls, or maybe we will live forever, but it is not our place to speculate, only to obey. He said some men here had seen an Angel of the Lord. This was very deep, it seemed like it echoed inside me, I felt it was inspiration."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
ewwww... that sounds

ewwww... that sounds creepy.

I will see if I can find it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ooh, it is creepy.

Ooh, it is creepy. Especially since, in theory, it could actually happen.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard

inspectormustard wrote:

Well, I am scared.  (Runs and hides behind large group of atheist males while searching for a weapon.)

I do not understand this at all.  Correct me if I am wrong (you won't be the first) but if all women disappeared aren't there only a few options left for men?  1. they would die out.  2. nature would intervene and some men would evolve reproduction abilities.  3. another animal would give birth to a half human/half sheep new species. (Yikes) 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even more proof that god

Even more proof that god needs to die. Life without women would suck.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jce

jce wrote:

inspectormustard wrote:

Well, I am scared. (Runs and hides behind large group of atheist males while searching for a weapon.)

I do not understand this at all. Correct me if I am wrong (you won't be the first) but if all women disappeared aren't there only a few options left for men? 1. they would die out. 2. nature would intervene and some men would evolve reproduction abilities. 3. another animal would give birth to a half human/half sheep new species. (Yikes)

You'll have to watch the show/read the story to see the purpose behind the religious fervor. I don't wanna spoil it. 

The story is over here:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/sheldon/sheldon1.html