so... what's your sign?

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
so... what's your sign?

i am a virgo.  not sure if everyone believes in astrology but it is cool to talk about.  it is interesting how it could pick out some aspects of peoples' character.  especially when you get into the deep analysis... time of birth, etc.

so post your sign and/or add some comments on your thoughts of astrology and why it "could" be right. 

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an aquarius. Is there

I'm an aquarius.

Is there anything about my sign that tells you I think astrology is complete bunk?

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Taurus If you look up the

Taurus

If you look up the phrase "ridiculous psuedoscience" you will find a picture of a gullible New Age Mystic poring over astrology charts.

It's complete and utter rubbish. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Rave
User is offlineOffline
I'm an Aries. Although it is

I'm an Aries. Although it is interesting that people fairly often do conform to many aspects of their sign's personality description, thinking you can tell the future by that stuff is just ridiculous. I guess if the similarities we see in people and their the sign's stereotypes do have anything to do with astronomical bodies it's far more likely to do with the effect of the moon's gravity or our own planet's orbit than those which are millions to trillions of kilometres away. Pehaps the time of the year influences the different effects these things might have on our developing bodies during pregnancy.

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Capricorn. Isn't astrology

Capricorn.

Isn't astrology one of the Irrational Precepts?

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
I'm a pisces who hates

I'm a pisces who hates water.

http://www.astrosociety.org/education/astro/act3/astrology3.html 

^^ Truth about astrology.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an Aries, if memory

I'm an Aries, if memory serves.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I am a scorpio, my

I am a scorpio, my ex's and wife swear i fit the sexual part of scorpio, as for the rest of it eh depends on your view of creativity and destruction, I take various martial arts and wrestling techniques (have to make sure i can handle myself when being invovled in arresting someone) and i don't mind fighting, competitive that is.

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neon

Neon

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: i am a

sapphen wrote:

i am a virgo.

Time to go to first base.

sapphen wrote:

not sure if everyone believes in astrology but it is cool to talk about.

It isn't.  It's absolute nonsense.  Painfully so, given that the zodiac no longer corresponds to the constellations in the sky.

sapphen wrote:

it is interesting how it could pick out some aspects of peoples' character.  especially when you get into the deep analysis... time of birth, etc.

There's $1 million waiting for you if you can prove that.  Until then, it's absolute nonsense -- which is hardly interesting.

sapphen wrote:

so post your sign and/or add some comments on your thoughts of astrology and why it "could" be right.

Let's see if you can "calculate" my sign based on my comments.   astrology could be right like I could be jesus.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Your earlyer complement, no

Your earlyer complement, no matter how appreciated wont prevent me from mincing words here. I will retract my fangs as much as possible since I like you.

Let me give you an exampe. There are people who come here and equate the universe to being some giant entity and claim that since they dont claim a spacific generic ancient holy book, that somehow that makes them different.

If you want me to lie to you I'd say, "I am a virgo" and leave it at that simple pleasantry.

Since I am being honest I will tell you that my "sign" means about as much to me as the easter bunny or Harrry Potter.

There is a very easy experement you can conduct with these "signs". Have someone pick up a newspaper or periodical that prints this stuff. Have them seperate the "quotes" cut them with cisors from the months or "signs" and jumble them up in a hat. 

I bet, throughout the day what you will do is retrofit an event "after the fact" to suit the random pick you made. And you wouldnt even know if it was your month or not.

The point is to show that there would be more misses than hits and hit or miss it would not be wise to base it on some newspaper employee having magical powers who could see your individual future. Cast a wide enough net with ambigous statements and someone will inevitablly say, "Hey that could be me", when the reality is that it is just something someone wrote that could apply to anyone over a lifetime.

So to be blunt. I am a Virgo, but that means about as much to me as my ability to pee or poo. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROFL! i think you guys must

ROFL! i think you guys must assume i am here to "defend" astrology.  i just find it interesting to talk about so please don't get the wrong idea if i ask provoking questions.  i am willing to accept that it is just people trying to relate to a description.

aside from that i am curious if the stars or planets have any effect on our mood.  similar to the "full moon" making people crazy.  i am still doing research on that topic but have not came across anything.  if you have any thoughts or links please feel free to share them.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

csneibarger
csneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a libra. Believes that

I'm a libra.

Believes that everything should be fair and balanced.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
sapphen wrote: ROFL! i

sapphen wrote:

ROFL! i think you guys must assume i am here to "defend" astrology. i just find it interesting to talk about so please don't get the wrong idea if i ask provoking questions. i am willing to accept that it is just people trying to relate to a description.

aside from that i am curious if the stars or planets have any effect on our mood. similar to the "full moon" making people crazy. i am still doing research on that topic but have not came across anything. if you have any thoughts or links please feel free to share them.

If you are treating the gravitational pull of other objects in the solar system as effecting us "to what degree"?

The scientific answer is yes. The superstitious answer is no.

There are people who have sleep cycles that cause them to tend to want to sleep at night, while others want to sleep during the day. Moths navigate by the moonlight and unfortunatly for them some  end up fried by someone's porch light.

Foul weather in extreems causes humans to react in extreem behaivor. There tends to be less crime in extreem cold and more crime during warmer weather. Other than environmental oportunity suggesting that a full moon would make me rob a bank is rediculous.

When white people were shown in New Orleans carring goods they obviously picked up out of an abandon store, they were scavangers. When blacks did it it was looting.

So how is it a hurricain affecting human behavior or preception would be any different than the gravitational pull of objects other than the earth?

If we are talking about the litteral gravity of a situation effecting life other than a black hole being close enough what are we talking about?

A few years back our planets lined up. A rare event indeed. But the number of mass murderers didnt go up or down in a massive degree because of that event. I didnt get Cyndi Crawford or Heidi Clum to give me a hummer. I am quite sure it didnt affect the stock market or Donnald Trump's hair. 

If it stands to reason that weather is natural and affects us, why would gravity be any less different? And why would it affect all humans or any species for that matter in the same way?

This is the same X-file stuff and "big foot" stuff we have heard before. A tangential effect of a natural event is not cause to incert  Santa.

To me "The moon made me do it" is as hokie as " Thor made me do it" is as hokie as " The devil made me do it".

Nature affects us, no doubt. But dont make huge leaps like "the stars made me do it".  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is an article by Ask

Here is an article by Ask an Astrophysicist about Moon Phases and the Crime Rate.  It makes sense to me.

As for me, I don't believe ANY of this stuff.  Years ago I had several charts done and they were pure hogwash even when I was trying to believe in them.

I will add, though, that I'm a Libra and that when I hear one side of an argument my first words are usually "I wonder what the other person was thinking." 

I don't think it has a thing to do with my birth sign.  I think it has to do with the fact that my mother did the very same thing.  (She was a Taurus.)

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aries here.

Aries here.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Here is an

Susan wrote:

Here is an article by Ask an Astrophysicist about Moon Phases and the Crime Rate. It makes sense to me.

As for me, I don't believe ANY of this stuff. Years ago I had several charts done and they were pure hogwash even when I was trying to believe in them.

I will add, though, that I'm a Libra and that when I hear one side of an argument my first words are usually "I wonder what the other person was thinking."

I don't think it has a thing to do with my birth sign. I think it has to do with the fact that my mother did the very same thing. (She was a Taurus.)

It does make you wonder sometimes....

1. I am a Libra
  2. I most often wonder what the other person was thinking
  3. My mother is a Gemini and does the same thing
My life is about balance but I think it has more to do with my upbringing than my sign.  That said, I do think October is one of the most beautiful months and I am always happy to celebrate my birthday watching the seasons change.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have heard it stated

I have heard it stated beautifully before this way:

When a child is born, the gravitational effect of the planets and stars on the newborn is far outweighed by the less massive objects nearer to the child. The doctor, the nurses, the parents, the tables, chairs and even the TV have more gravitational effect on the birth than any celestial object. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: ROFL! i

sapphen wrote:

ROFL! i think you guys must assume i am here to "defend" astrology. i just find it interesting to talk about so please don't get the wrong idea if i ask provoking questions.

That you should find such claptrap "interesting" is problem enough.  Asking "what's your sign" is about as meaningful as asking "how many Volkswagens drove by the hospital when you were born".

Here is a short series on astrology.  Informative and entertaining:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5rDRpyLkces 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1XRri1nbqco

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnCgT5uDHiI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6TkWHcHl03Q 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I'm a Taurus...and since

I'm a Taurus...and since we're talking about signs lets add in chinese signs...I'm a sheep.

What do I think of Astrology? Bah. Eye-wink 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: I have heard it

BGH wrote:

When a child is born, the gravitational effect of the planets and stars on the newborn is far outweighed by the less massive objects nearer to the child. The doctor, the nurses, the parents, the tables, chairs and even the TV have more gravitational effect on the birth than any celestial object.

Phil Plait is awesome!!  I love him. 

Wilso
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: BGH wrote: I

jce wrote:
BGH wrote:

Phil Plait is awesome!! I love him.

Funny that. The rapidly expanding belly of my pregnant wife has developed it's own gravitational field. Seems my whole world revolves around it.Laughing

Creationists - living proof that conception can occur during anal sex.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wilso wrote: Funny that.

Wilso wrote:

Funny that. The rapidly expanding belly of my pregnant wife has developed it's own gravitational field. Seems my whole world revolves around it.Laughing

LOL 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
astrology is a disgusting

astrology is a disgusting irrational monomania

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The rapidly expanding

Wilso wrote:

The rapidly expanding belly of my pregnant wife has developed it's own gravitational field.

Congratulations on the impending arrival! We all wish you all the very best.

Wilso wrote:
Seems my whole world revolves around it.Laughing

As well it should!!! Just think, it just a bit of time you shall have no more silent nights. Smiling

CaptSharkey
CaptSharkey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scorpio

I'm a scorpio....and I think astrology is totally true because I'm suppose to like sex a lot and I really do.Tongue out

But why is the rum gone? aarrggg Just noodles...must be a sign