whats up

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
whats up

just saying whats up....am grimey from the hood who just doesnt understand why my blackfolks are so into god....we got like a church almost on every corner it seems the more worst off blacks are the more faith they have in this god.....what yall think?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think it's just

I don't think it's just African-Americans that seem to be more church-going the worse off they are.

Just look at any economically depressed area and I suspect you'll find plenty of god-fearin' folks.  (Think backwoods)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
i really dont get all that

i really dont get all that stuff with katrina and blacks say there faith in god is even stronger!? i just dont get it

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it either,

I don't get it either, grimey.

I have no doubt that many good god-fearing xians lost everything (including family members) to Katrina.  How they can cling to any faith after that is beyond my comprehension.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a socio-economic

There is a socio-economic link between religiosity and class. I get the bus into town through a large council estate (kinda like the hood equivalents of the UK) and there's a lot of churches there by UK standards. Welcome Grimey.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle! To be

Welcome to the hizzle! To be honest most people that believe say bad things happening makes their faith stronger. Ironic they blame us being atheists on something bad happening in our life.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I also think, i hope this

I also think, i hope this doesn't sound racist, that blacks that are in the worst situations as you guys speak are more likely not to get an education. And i know there is a inverse relationship between religioustly and education.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I don't think

Susan wrote:

I don't think it's just African-Americans that seem to be more church-going the worse off they are.

Just look at any economically depressed area and I suspect you'll find plenty of god-fearin' folks. (Think backwoods)

I did a research paper on religion and after taking a tip from one of Harris's books, I looked into it and found out that there really is a connection between religiosity and economic prosperity, not just on a micro scale (like poor and rich in the US) but on a macro scale. The higher a nation is on the HDI (Human development index) the less religious they seem to be, with one exception...the US.

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
grimey wrote: just saying

grimey wrote:
just saying whats up....am grimey from the hood who just doesnt understand why my blackfolks are so into god....we got like a church almost on every corner it seems the more worst off blacks are the more faith they have in this god.....what yall think?

And just to think most African Americans are christians... a european religion that OK'd Slavery. Everytime i talk to an african american who is deeply religoius, I ask them why they believe in something that was forced on their ancestors from Slave Owners. Personally african america christians are sellouts

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, grimey, this is

Well, grimey, this is refreshing!  I have been away from the boards more than usual because I was getting tired of the same ten conversations over and over, and this is something new!  Thanks for dropping by and putting your two cents in.

I was actually talking with someone a couple of days ago about the differences between black and white Christianity in the deep south.  What got me onto it was how it seems like every rural black that you meet is staunchly Christian, and yet there are fortune tellers on just about as many street corners as there are churches!  There's something weird going on here...

*The bible says fortune tellers are abominations.

* Nearly all blacks in theses areas are Christians

* Fortune tellers make enough money to put up HUGE billboards on the side of the road.

I don't get it.

I know that there are radical elements within black Christianity that are more or less like voodoo, especially as you get closer to New Orleans, but it still strikes me as very weird to see it in rural Georgia.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Avatar

All I can say about that avatar is...wow. Cool

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Most christians,

Welcome.

Most christians, regardless of class or race never really READ the bible,which someone once said is the biggest creator of atheism itslef.

Do you think the average black person is even less likely to actually sit down and read it and then bother trying to rationalize all the bullshit? 

I suck at signatures.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! And that avatar 

Welcome!

And that avatar is cool. Eye-wink 

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
whats funny is today a white

whats funny is today a white person at work today ask me why are there so many churches in the black community? shit i didnt even know what to say but i guess we love to pretend.....

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
grimey wrote: whats funny

grimey wrote:
whats funny is today a white person at work today ask me why are there so many churches in the black community? shit i didnt even know what to say but i guess we love to pretend.....

Obviously you don't and that's one reason you're here.

And we're all glad you are!

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
YEAh i tell other blacks

YEAh i tell other blacks that am not into the god stuff they always say did something bad happen to me....or they say is something wrong with me...but i tell them u believe in that bible its something wrong with u!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you then ask them why so

Do you then ask them why so many good, god-fearing xian African-Americans lost everything to Katrina?

Had they been hanging out with atheists or something? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
grimey wrote: YEAh i tell

grimey wrote:
YEAh i tell other blacks that am not into the god stuff they always say did something bad happen to me....or they say is something wrong with me...but i tell them u believe in that bible its something wrong with u!

White Christians say that all the time, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
just riding threw the hood

just riding threw the hood today there was a church almost on every corner! i was like damn this is crazy! damn just think of all the money there making off the ignorance of the people

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe there are two

I believe there are two real factors that need to be considered.. The primary being the general economic situation of the black community, which is still trying to recover from the historical effects of discrimination and the secondary being their most influential figure of leadership came from a religous background. This I would assume has had some influence on the generations of blacks that have been born in the last few decades. Regardless if the black generation today still feels the effects directly, I would argue that their parents did and that's who is raising them. I would assume this is like a ripple effect and as more black leaders emerge from various backgrounds, that influence will lesson over time.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
religion is in full effect

religion is in full effect in the black community....doesnt seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.....

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
the religious nuts were out

the religious nuts were out yesterday with signs saying REPENT AND COME TO THE LORD!

Prang
Prang's picture
User is offlineOffline
grimey wrote: whats funny

grimey wrote:

I remember a few years back there was talk of regulating the number of liquor stores in depressed areas(This was Los Angeles city maybe county too). The thing I noticed was not only are there lots of liqour stores but also lots of churches, especially the little storefront types... Now, how can you make the correlation=causation argument(liquor stores=crime) with the liquor stores and not the churches?

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
in the black community its

in the black community its almost a church on every corner i just dont understand it...