Versus for scientfic theories in the Qur'an?

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Versus for scientfic theories in the Qur'an?

I had another interesting conversation with my Islamic friend. Sparked by the recent edition of Discover, which had a special article in it about Islam and science. I began to have a bout of De'ja Vu as he began to tell me about all the versus in the Qur'an. Versus that point to scientfic theories. Well as we all know Christians claim and try this very same tactic all the time. So I was naturally skeptical. In fact I mentioned it to him. He cited some red herring about how Christian history was more spotty than Muslim history. I guess he meant in accordance to scientific advances and what not. Then claimed that Muslims were responsible for most technology and knowledge, during Qur'anic times I'm guessing. Since I'm not a history major , let alone a history buff, I simply let him get away with it. Taking it with a grain of salt mind you.

So if there are any history buffs who know a good deal about Middle Eastern history feel free to shoot it down. Anyway, he was kind enough to write out a list of some of the versus in the Qur'an that point to this extraordinary unknowable knowledge. Versus refering to astronomy, geology, biology, and embrology. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed. The versus for astronomy, geology, biology failed miserably. The versus either didn't have anything to do with said scientific theories or they were very vauge. Vauge enough to leave just enough mental wiggle-room to come to a biased conclusion. Plus, some of the versus could be ascertained through observation. In fact it seemed like if the versus was talking about mountains/earth, plants or animals, and the sky or stars. Then they must be talking about scienfic theories. I found some decent (and I use the word loosely) versus for embrology. For example:

Chapter 22 verse 5:

O mankind! If you have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, then out of sperm, then out of a leech-like clot, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that We may manifest (Our power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that you may reach your age of full strength; and some of you are called to die, and some are sent to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after having known (much). And (further) you see the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells, and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs).

Chapter 23 verse 13-14:

13. Then we placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed;

14. Then we made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then We made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then We developed out of it another creature. So blessed be Allah, the Best to create! 

The rest follow along same path as these versus. I can scan the page if any would like a copy to review for themselves. My wife was unconvinced by the above passages ( as am I of course). She said that even these were possible by observation. From women miscarrying through various stages of conception or by crude autopsy. Feel free to leave thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

In reason,

The_Fragile 

I hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
living inside of me
to murder everything.
I hope they cannot see
I am the great destroyer.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    For the most part

For the most part Muslims have had less conflict with science and religion than christians, especially during the dark ages as they had more advances in science than Western civilization. However that does not mean that the qur'an is scientificly speaking correct about it's saying, as well it not to assume that people did not understand how the world functioned, even if it was a crude form of it. Many christians have made the same claim, as have muslims, yet there are verses in the qur'an that do show lack of scientific knowledge or understanding of how a natural occurance functions as well.

Muslim architecture is unsurpassed in ancient times compared to western civilization of the same period. As well as mathematics. However with that said, they had less conflict with science does not mean they actually accepted all of what was found with science.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a another thread

There's a another thread somewhere here, pointing to a YouTube vid of a guy spewing out verse numbers claiming that they reference scientific facts and such that Muhammed was blessed with by god and all that. I made it a point to look up all those verse numbers and while they might refer to visible phenomenon, they don't go much beyond that.

...(search, search, search)... here it is!

http://tinyurl.com/32qr2k

-Triften