Are We Still Able To Love?

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are We Still Able To Love?

...honestly the subject can be misleading, but i am very curious;

tell us about your relationships? are you currently or have been in love? has your heart been broken? are you having problems now in your relationship with your partner, family, friends? have you had a moment that you felt completely in love? how many times have you romantically, deeply and truly loved? how do you love? if you where to write a love letter, what would it say?

we can have some fun in here and get a little less personal... tell us what foods you love? what movies, songs, ideas do you simply love! get creative here.

... or we can get philosophical... what does the word love mean to you? what is the polar opposite of love? what is your opinion on love? can love be fake?

have some fun and break lose. i love the responses i have got in our other posts and look forward to hearing back from you!

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
May I ask what you hope to

May I ask what you hope to get from all our answers in your various posts?  I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm not quite sure what you're expecting to gain from all this. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Heart's been broken. (

Heart's been broken. Sad(

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: ...honestly

sapphen wrote:
...honestly the subject can be misleading, but i am very curious; tell us about your relationships? are you currently or have been in love? has your heart been broken? are you having problems now in your relationship with your partner, family, friends? have you had a moment that you felt completely in love? how many times have you romantically, deeply and truly loved? how do you love? if you where to write a love letter, what would it say? we can have some fun in here and get a little less personal... tell us what foods you love? what movies, songs, ideas do you simply love! get creative here. ... or we can get philosophical... what does the word love mean to you? what is the polar opposite of love? what is your opinion on love? can love be fake? have some fun and break lose. i love the responses i have got in our other posts and look forward to hearing back from you!

Nope, I'm a machine with a heart of coal and a box of steel chocolates. I'm a meat popsicle with arms for a head. Er, well, maybe not the second part.

Heh. No, I'm one of those people whose afraid to be too comfortable. I enjoy the company of the opposite sex, but I've had enough relationships to know that long term commitment to me would be bad for their health. Maybe what I want is a girl who wakes up everyday as a completely new person. I don't know. Either way, I'm content having a different girlfriend every 3 months.

Vorax
Vorax's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm totally in love and my

I'm totally in love and my life is great - I have wonderful kids, I have a wonderful intelligent, beautiful wife (who's also an Atheist), I have an amazing family on both sides (mine and hers), I wake up with a smile and I'm excited to get on with the day (unless I'm just cuddling with my wife...which is awesome), I have my health, I have a great job that I love, I make tons of money, I have a beautiful house, I have a BMW (my second love), I have a six sleeper sail boat at the yacht club, I see the world as collection of challenging puzzles to solve, I have a passion for understanding physics, nature and humanity, I like to educate people and have a love for humanity as a whole, I have my retirement already dealt with...heck - life is incredible and I can't imagine there are many people much happier then me. If I died tomorrow my life has been wonderful and my children will have gotten off to a great start.

I remember christian friends (actually co-workers) trying to convince me when I was teenager that I would never be truly happy without Christ... unfortunetly for them, none of them faired out as well as me. I consider myself proof that true happiness comes from within us and from our actions in life, not from a god.

To Pariahjane's point though -- what's the point? I hope it's not to prove that theists are happier...because I wager very few on this board are as happy and fulfilled as myself.

"All it would take to kill God is one meteorite a half mile across - think about why." - Vorax

Visit my blog on Atheism: Cerebral Thinking for some more food for intelligent thought.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know what I love? When

You know what I love?

When someone learns something about science and truly gets it... not a misconstrued representation of science, but real science and scientific method. 

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pariah, that is a very valid

Pariah, that is a very valid question. i hate to answer with a question but what would anyone gain? i do not really have a preset notion in my mind or motivation for my questions. i wish to learn, express and share with each other. i want to provoke thought, ask questions beyond the norm, and get to know each other.

in my old art class, while we worked no one would talk. so one day someone asked a general question. still drawing we would converse about the topic and so fourth. the next day it grew and more people started asking questions or posing ideas.

when it came time to critique our artwork, it seemed so much more beautiful because we knew the person. we understood them and their work. we were able to help each other develop their own style rather than just from personal perspective.

i don't want to intrude or make someone uncomfortable. please forgive me if i have.

EDIT: grammar errors and sentence structure.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I've only really had one

I've only really had one serious relationship, and it ende awhile back now.  Was I in love? I don't know.  There was infatuation at first, but I think I spent a long-time hoping that it would solidify itself through adversity.  I stayed overly loyal to that relationship for a lot of years despite knowing that it probably wasn't the best situation for me.  But I believe very strongly in strengthening relationships through adversity so I figured the relationship would be better when we came out the either side.  But I wasn't willing to get past cheating Eye-wink  Did I truely love? I don't know.  I don't have a clear definition of what that means in my mind yet.  I know I have cared deeply for people, but I don't know if it's love.  I have had a very difficult time defining this word outside of the type of love I have for my daughter.

Have I been in love? I have 1 love right now and it's my daughter.

Am I having problems right now with family etc? I've actually never had a good relationship with much of my family including my parents.   My father I don't know and my mother I don't care much for.  I long ago redefined family as unrelated to blood.  My family are the people close to me and in that play major rolls in my life for one reason or another.

I am actually at a point in my life where I am probably as happy as I have ever been.  I can quite honestly say that I am having the best time of my life right now.

Love letter...no idea.  I am horrible at expressing emotions in a good way.  I very easily talk about my emotions in an analytical and self-reflective way, but that doesn't transpose well onto paper.  I am extremely comfortable talking about emotions and laying myself on the table...but I am horrible at wording things so that the make someone feel good about themselves.

Foods...I'm a meat and potatoes man.  I like to keep it simple.

Movies...comedies generally.  Schinder's list is one of my all-time favorites along with the Lord of the Rings set, Batman (1989 version), then after that it's mostly comedies...UHF, Spaceballs, Strange Brew etc.

Songs: The Cure's Love Song is probably my favorite all-time song.  Lullaby is up there too.  The End by The Doors, Hurt by Nine Inch Nails, Jupiter from the planets suite by Holst, and Mozarts Symphony No. 40.

Ideas?  I love analyzing how and why people think and do things.  I find human nature to be immensly fascinating.  I find the idea of faith greatly fascinating.  To believe something even when confronted with evidence though I think is damaging I also find it immensly fascinating.

What does the word love mean? I think I hit on this already. I really don't know.  I don't think I'm capable of defining it for myself at this point much less putting it into words.  Can love be fake? yes.  Infatuation is often mislabled love by other people.

I hope someone found this fascinating...should I add this to my singles ad? Eye-wink 

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've only had one

I've only had one relationship kinda.  I was 25 when I met her and I still am 25.  She was using me for my money and when I couldn't/wouldn't pay her 1,000 dollar phone bill she left me (note: I was not the reason she had that big a phone bill, just in case you thought I might have been making long distance calls to her).  I would say it hurt because I had never had someone I had thought cared about me, and to find out I really didn't mean anything to that person was pretty painful.  I have never been in love and probably never will be my shyness and lack of drinking makes it hard to even find someone to talk to.   I have great friends/family, I do live on the opposite side of the USA now, so I don't ever get to see them Sad

I don't like most food, some are tolerable, and the things I do enjoy are probably not good for me.  I don't listen to music (no joke) I've never bought a CD or downloaded any music for myself,  I don't avoid music if it happens to be around, but I don't go out of my way for it.   I like most kinds of movies, my favorite at the moment is still the Matrix, not the sequels.  I like science and learning how things are made.  

I always thought love was a word to describe a feeling that cannot be described with words.  I am probably wrong, but that is what I thought.  I don't think love can be fake, I think you can be wrong when you think you are in love but it isn't mutual. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
thank you guys for sharing

thank you guys for sharing such personal details. i am at a loss to construct much more of a reply but i am honored by your responses.

thank you again for sharing yourselves.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Biography time! I'm 22 and

Biography time!

I'm 22 and love my wife. She was an atheist before I ever thought about it. I love very few foods and am vegetarian because of it. I love voluntering at the cat shelter.

Favorite movie is the first I ever saw: Superman. I love learning about science. I love humor.

Over the past year I've come to love blinking(couldn't as a result of facial paralysis knows as ramsey-hunt syndrom) Pain medicine(shingles and post-herpetic neurolgia) and appreciate the people, especially doctors that help me through the trials I've faced.

I love learning that I must depend on myself to make my life better and not God. 

I love the level of intelligence displayed so often on these boards. Atheist and theist alike.  

I suck at signatures.

Pile
atheist
Pile's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure you theists are

I'm sure you theists are well aware our Atheist_World_View(tm) precludes us from embracing intangible constructs such as "love."

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love lots of things. I

I love lots of things.

I love peanut butter, rainy days, learning, coffee, reading, traveling, green, forests, music, mountains, laughing, thinking, conversing, dr. pepper, french bread, sleeping, waking up, working, experiencing, salad, my family etc.... 

Though peanut butter is always my number one. (Just don't tell my husband.. haha) 

The list goes on.

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Currently nursing a broken

Currently nursing a broken heart.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote:

sapphen wrote:
...honestly the subject can be misleading, but i am very curious; tell us about your relationships?
None
sapphen wrote:
are you currently or have been in love? has your heart been broken?
Check my "blog" and find my deconversion story.
sapphen wrote:
are you having problems now in your relationship with your partner, family, friends?
n/a, yeah, yes.
sapphen wrote:
have you had a moment that you felt completely in love? how many times have you romantically, deeply and truly loved?
Yes, several times (can't say, to be honest).
sapphen wrote:
how do you love? if you where to write a love letter, what would it say?
I can't answer the first one in a family forum Cool but as for the second, probably nothing. I don't write love letters.
sapphen wrote:
we can have some fun in here and get a little less personal... tell us what foods you love? what movies, songs, ideas do you simply love! get creative here.
All, all good ones, all made by skilled musicians, all that make sense
sapphen wrote:
... or we can get philosophical... what does the word love mean to you? what is the polar opposite of love? what is your opinion on love? can love be fake?
"Love" is an extreme of "like". The polar opposite of love is "hate" which is found all too often in humanity. My opinion on love is quite negative right now. Love is almost always fake.
sapphen wrote:
have some fun and break lose.
How can I break the verb "lose"? Tongue out
sapphen wrote:
i love the responses i have got in our other posts and look forward to hearing back from you!
OK! Basically, love is an emotion whose origins come from survival instinct. We realize that other beings can help us to survive and replicate, but only if we reciprocate. So, we love them, and they love us. If they don't we let them be, and if no one loves them, they're less likely to survive (if you see an enemy in a tar pit, you won't save them, but if you see a lover there, you'll try) or replicate. That is love.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ben, you are a poetic and

Ben, you seem to be a poetic and passionate person. do you have a love poem you could share?

EDIT: did not want to define someone

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: Ben, you

sapphen wrote:

Ben, you seem to be a poetic and passionate person. do you have a love poem you could share?

Thank you for the compliment! I'll see what I can dig up. I know I have one specific to my ex that not only sucks, but would be in bad taste to share.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
sapphen wrote:

Thank you for the compliment! I'll see what I can dig up. I know I have one specific to my ex that not only sucks, but would be in bad taste to share.

BenfromCanada, you could maybe work on it a bit and make it publicly acceptable.  You know, "the names have been changed to protect the innocent" (or guilty as the case may be!)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Gypsy
Gypsy's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: ...honestly

sapphen wrote:
...honestly the subject can be misleading, but i am very curious; tell us about your relationships? are you currently or have been in love? has your heart been broken? are you having problems now in your relationship with your partner, family, friends?
 I'm new here, but what the hell. Basically right now I'm in what I like to refer to as "relationship purgatory." I am separated from my husband of nearly 5 years. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but he has been emotionally abusive for quite some time and refused to get counseling after hitting me once. I'm not the type of person to sit around and let a problem exist... I am going to solve it. So, I gave him divorce papers. He begged for another chance - I told him ok, but he had to move out. He is now going to counseling, but I'm not convinced he can change THAT much. I'm still not sure where we go from here. Not that I'm implying it's relevant, but he's Christian. 
sapphen wrote:
or we can get philosophical... what does the word love mean to you?
Love is caring about someone else's feelings as much as you do your own.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Gypsy! I'm so

Welcome, Gypsy!

I'm so sorry you're having to go through rough times.  There's no other way to say it except that it sucks.

However, we're glad you're here with us!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Gypsy
Gypsy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Welcome,

Susan wrote:
Welcome, Gypsy!I'm so sorry you're having to go through rough times.  There's no other way to say it except that it sucks.However, we're glad you're here with us! 
Thank you kindly. Being involved in this site would have likely caused more grief than it was worth when hubby was around, so I'm glad I'm here too! Smiling

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: BenfromCanada

Susan wrote:
BenfromCanada wrote:
sapphen wrote:

BenfromCanada, you could maybe work on it a bit and make it publicly acceptable. You know, "the names have been changed to protect the innocent" (or guilty as the case may be!)

Trust me, there i sno way I could do so and have it make any sense.

Truly, my best "love poems" have always been quite "anti-love"