Share your dreams!!!

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Share your dreams!!!

hope this could be a fun subject to talk about. if you don't like it.... vorax gave me the idea *cough*.

we probably want to keep the "dream interpretation" to a minimum but it would be cool to hear what other people dream. this is a side to us that we rarely get to share with others...

do you dream in black and white or color? how crazy do your dreams get? do you see odd people or strange places? have you ever left your body? have you dreamed of the future? have you dreamed about historic events? ever dreamed that you where an animal? ever been naked.. in a dream? do you even remember your dreams? what do you remember in your dreams?

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I dream in color,

I think I dream in color, but you know this is a difficult task to recall. Trying to talk about dreams is akin to trying to cupt water in your hands. During sleep, the brain is undergoing neural memory reconsolidation, which is why the dream is so difficult to remember when you wake up.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah.. i would totally agree

yeah.. i would totally agree with that. they fade away so fast.. even if you don't want them to.

i always hate it when i'm having a good dream and something wakes me up. i try so hard to continue it where it left off... but it always gets distorted.

dream journals help some but even then you can get a bunch of scraps. sometimes if you can remember a certain symbol or idea from a dream you can keep the rest.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only time I remember my

The only time I remember my dreams are when I am physically uncomfortable (too hot, too cold, wife's knee is in my kidney, etc.) and that leads to nightmares.  Or when I am under a whole lot of stress, which leads to nightmares. 

Otherwise, I sleep way too deeply to remember my dreams. 

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dream in vivid color and,

I dream in vivid color and, unless I'm overly tired, overly caffeinated or cats are waking me every hour or so, I usually remember not only the dreams, but the colors.

Over the years, quite a few times I've ended up under water and afraid of drowning, but am amazed and happy to find that I can breathe under water. 

From time to time, I also dream I am falling from a great height.  The most embarrassing thing, though, was once I hit a sidewalk on my butt... and I bounced about 20 feet into the air.  (I don't EVEN want to think about what that might mean.)

I have the naked dreams, too, but they're not the fun ones I hear about from other people.  It's more like taking a bath in a big wash tub and realizing I'm in the display window of a retail store. 

I've had lots of dreams from a depression-type era.  At least the surroundings seem that way:  Drab colors and old, worn furniture.  The dreams have a feeling that I'm very monetarily poor and am having a hard time paying the bills.  In these dreams, I picture myself as looking somewhat like the old woman in the American Gothic painting.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
In general, I have

In general, I have extremely vivid dreams. I can remember sounds, colors, tastes, feelings, etc. My favorite are when I die. I don't go anywhere or see anyone, I just die, and know that I'm dead in my dream. I usually, wake up because I'm just an observer from that point or I sometimes "restart" like a video game and think it's funny because I was supposed to be dead.

Most often my nightmares consist in not being able to run, move, or coordinate my body in any way. Also, whenever I work a lot during the week, I have nightmares about work. Those are the worst. I feel physically and mentally drained when I wake up. The best thing about those nightmares, is when I up and quit my job right there on the spot. I did that in the last work nightmare I had. But once I got out to the parking lot, I woke up. Then, unfortunately, when I went back to sleep, I was right back in the same nightmare at work! Like I never had quit! grrr...

Pretty much, I remember every dream I have each night. Some people have told me this is rare. Personally, I wish I didn't remember my dreams so well. They sometimes affect my mood throughout the whole day, especially if I did something truly outside myself. I am not into dream interpretation. I merely consider them, a wierd, abstract jumble of different experiences I've had in my life.  

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't dream too often (or

I don't dream too often (or remember them when I wake up). If i have a dream that I like, I write it down the moment i get up and thats the only way for me to remember it later. They are all in color, but not so vivid as to experience touch or smell. Its more like watching a movie. I hate falling, and those dreams are the worst. I once had this horrible dream that I was on a horse being chased by outlaws and I decided to jump off into the grand canyon. The fall downwards was a horrible feelings, and to make it worse, when I hit the ground I bounced back up, only to fall again. This happend over and over.... I don't know why, but a constant theme in my dreams is that I'm being chased by something bad. Most often it takes the form of Nazis in WWII. Sticking out tongue No idea why, but Nazi troops are always after me. One time I had a dream I was in Versailles stealing Eva Brown's china dishes. Maybe thats why they always want to kill me....

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dreamt I was a sheep thief

I dreamt I was a sheep thief the other night. I lost them though with a mix up in trains (God knows why I was trying to take them on a train!!). I have pretty weird dreams pretty regularly.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
i just woke up. although

i just woke up. although unsure of what my dream was about i remember that i walked a long ways in it... and it felt very similar to the places i hung around as a teenager. i remember 2 journeys in particular, and it was at night i was walking down a road. also a i had a new friendship starting with someone i could barely see, well their face kept changing... first it was a women, then a man. they where polite and asking for help. we where in a school or college but it looked like a local mall. really big with open classrooms where the shops would be. there was one aspect of the dream that left me feeling really good, like i was on an adventure of some sorts.... but the rest of the events are very fuzzy.

keep the dreams coming. it's been a while since i've even tried to remember my dreams after the first few morning hours.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure I dream in

I'm pretty sure I dream in color.  I usually remember my dreams but unless they are very scary I only remember bits and pieces.

I had a dream last night that Freddy Kreuger was singing 'Debaser' by the Pixies to me.  WTF does that mean?  lol.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Color, but I don't remember

Color, but I don't remember my dreams too often anymore.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROFL!!!! that is a funny

ROFL!!!! that is a funny image! Freddy singing the pixies...

i have no idea what that means. i guess it depends on what Freddy Kreuger means to you... and what the song means to you. was you scared or laughing?? did he threaten you... other than with his singing. did he have his glove on? was he on stage!?

what was the overall feel of the dream and what was the feeling you had when you woke up?

that is classic and would make a good web "flash" video. thank you for sharing.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
"slicing up eyeballs..."

"slicing up eyeballs..."

been a while since i've pulled out the pixies. thanks for reminding me. "hey" was the first baseline i learned. we forget music sometimes that inspired us at one point.

when was the last time you listened to them?

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oddly enough, I had the

Oddly enough, I had the strangest dream last night and had to tell someone.  Last night, it was like the end of the world was coming, with bombs.  It was weird though, it took place one city at a time, because we already knew of towns it happened to.  I was looking outside at a normal clear day.  The sky swirled into black almost instantly and this massive barn blew up.  When the dust cleared there was absolutely nothing there.  Then the barn appeared all of a sudden.  It blew up again, but it was like the explosion had lost some of its power this time.  So it exploded and it only blew a giant holethrough the barn.  The smoke cleared, the the barn was whole again.  It exploded a third time, and it barely damaged the barn.  Then I woke up.  Everyone in the room with me was so scared.  I was shaking and terrified, but intrigued as to what was really happening... I don't know if it meant anything or if I just shouldn't have drank that last beer last night.  So today, everything is all surreal.  I used to dream about the end of the world a lot.   In this dream, it was supposed to be the end, but it wasn't.

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: ROFL!!!!

sapphen wrote:
ROFL!!!! that is a funny image! Freddy singing the pixies... i have no idea what that means. i guess it depends on what Freddy Kreuger means to you... and what the song means to you. was you scared or laughing?? did he threaten you... other than with his singing. did he have his glove on? was he on stage!? what was the overall feel of the dream and what was the feeling you had when you woke up? that is classic and would make a good web "flash" video. thank you for sharing.

Thanks.  I tend to have very bizarre dreams.  I think I'm easily suggestable.  I think I was a bit freaked out in the dream, but when I woke up it was more like huh?  WTF was that about?!  Kind of funny really.

I usually have my iPod on shuffle so I listen to the Pixies at least once or twice a day.  My favorite song is Nimrod's Son.  Gotta love the Pixies. Smiling

If god takes life he's an indian giver

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
cool wishk. i used to have

cool wishk. i used to have "end of the world" dreams also.. still do sometimes. i remember the sun turning a bright blue. life on the planet was being destroyed and only a few small "town-like" refuges remained. i remember that no one could go outside without something covering our skin... we all knew the sun was changing and that our time was limited. i woke up depressed but wanting to continue the dream for some reason. that whole day i felt bleak and desolate.

thank you for sharing your dream. interesting about the sky and the barn. i love the outdoors and when it is about to storm... the sky get crazy. it's frighting yet intriguing. did anyone else in the room have a similar dream...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
One thing this reminds me of

One thing this reminds me of - when I was a Christian I used to have nightmares about going to hell all the time. Once I stopped believing that nonsense the nightmares stopped.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can remember a ton of my

I can remember a ton of my dreams.  I used to keep dream journals, but I'm just too lazy to keep up with it.  I always dream in color, and a great deal of my dreams are based on what I was doing or thinking about that day.  For instance if I play a certain video game, or watch a certain movie, my dream might be a mix of all those factors together in a very incoherrent fashion.

Speaking of video games, I also tend to have a lot of dreams that are like video games.  I will be playing a game of myself, and I will see myself as a 3rd person perspective, however I will retain all my 1st person senses (including sight too).  It's very weird to say, but it's very fun in dreams.

I've also studied lucid dreaming a bit (which is realizing you're dreaming, and basically controlling your dreams).  I have had a bit of luck with that.  I also have many reoccuring dreams.  Some of which I could probably make a map of the dream world!

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Piper2000ca
Piper2000ca's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I've always dreamt

I've always dreamt in color.  As for crazy, they normally are (indeed some have been VERY crazy).  My dreams also tend to feel extremely real, even to the point that I have awaken, and since my dream ended with me in my bedroom, that I have continued on for a few minutes after, having not realized that it was all a dream.  The people I see in my dreams are ones a typically know or have known.  As for places, this is where things generally get really weird.  It is often a place that I know very well, and will be populated with people that I remember from it, but it will usually have major changes to it (yet in my dreams the changes never seem unusual).  However, sometimes the places are completely different, but for some reason, I still seem to recognize those places as if I was very familiar with them.  In fact, it is very rare that I dream about a place, and not know exactly where I am.  Indeed, one recurring theme I have in my dreams is having somebody with me (this can be anybody, and is rarely the same person), and guiding them around wherever I am.  Back when I was a theist, I often dreamt about death and the after-life, but now that I think of it, I haven't had a dream like that in a long time.  My dreams also tend to rely heavily on past and current experiences.  Some of the most common places for me to dream about, are the Army Cadet Camps that I used to attend.  However it usually isn't as a past experience, it is me returning to them, usually as a officer (which is what I would return as in real-life if I was to go there).  Indeed, no matter how bizarre the dreams become, there usually is some underlying logic, that ties it in with my real-life.  Another coming thing for me to be doing, is flying an airplane, but that isn't really surprising considering I'm a pilot, and I spend a lot of my spare time training for my commercial license.  One thing I find interesting now, is how heights are treated in my dreams.  In the past, anything involving heights brought on intense fear, and if it involved me falling, it would wake me up (usually in a very intense, heart-stopping, terrifying kind-of way).  Ever since I've started flying, I don't have dreams like that any more (I guess there is something to be said about tackling your worst fears head-on).  And just to make things interesting, since I've been studying Koine Greek, I've been having quite a few dreams that involve me going to church (and feeling very awkward being the only atheist there), and being asked to help or to serve (I used to be an alter server shortly before I became an atheist, I even was thinking of becoming a deacon or something).  One funny thing I often have happen lately, is that I'll be at my old church, I'll tell the rector that I'm an atheist, and he'll still ask me to help/serve!  I know that I've dreamt that I was an animal back when I was a kid, but I can't remember ever doing that as an adult.  As for dreaming that I was naked, well, I am a 24 year old guy, so needless to say, I have dreamt about tons of "things" that require nudity (And those are usually the dreams that when I wake up, and realize it was all a dream, I feel very, very disappointed).

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I always dream in

Yeah, I always dream in colour. Usually pretty bizarre, characters also change sometimes, if I'm dreaming about one person they might turn into another but still be the same character in the story.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
All my dreams that I can

All my dreams that I can recall have been color I think. One especially was definitely in color. I dreamt I was skydiving. I jumped out of the plane, and below me was a huge rainforest. Once I got down, I looked around, and all over in the trees around me are giant pink gorillas, and they were scary as hell. They all just stared coldly at me, and then I woke up. What a weird dream.