ZOMG!!!! WHAT am i doing here?

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZOMG!!!! WHAT am i doing here?

Smiling) ... i would like to say hello again to everyone.  i never really introduced myself but my name is Stephen.  i am a follower of Christ and believe in the existence of God.

for starters i am not here to argue.  after some time pondering i understand what you guys are doing is a good thing.  a lot of christians have gotten out of control and have really gave us a bad name.  i'm here to try and be a good example of a christian.  i am not perfect and if you look hard enough you will see that i too am tarnished and subject to ill interpretation but by the grace of God i hope we can exchange intelligent ideas while respecting each other's beliefs.  if not be by the grace of God, you could say by the grace of the notorious flying spaghetti monster, i don't care.

a friend from here once told me that we are at war but this war is not between you and me. 

i understand that a lot my christian brethern have fallen far from the ideal that christianity was built on.  not the wars we've waged or the people we've stoned, but for the rare and occisonal time that we are there to actually help someone or give them hope (yes i just went there).

the one thing i ask for while you are fighting for your right to believe what you wish... please don't make the same mistakes we have.  we have valued our freedom in this country, including ours to believe in God and yours to not.  although you may feel religion is a poison, some people need it and highly cherish it.  i know that is left to personal rendition why they need or cherish it but forgive their manners while we discuss matters in a sensible fashion.

two wrongs don't make a right, and a right can be wrong if stated wrongly.  Smiling)

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!   Bring some

Welcome!   Bring some friends!  Most of the conversations I've seen on these boards are 1 or 2 theists vs 10.  Smiling

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol.. i'll try to do that. 

lol.. i'll try to do that.  i don't really mind the odds though as long as you guys don't mind the wait.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, sapphen! We really

Welcome, sapphen!

We really are glad you're here.  Really.

Since you're not "brand new", I'm sure you've noticed that we do have some theists here that are very intelligent and pretty darned nice.  Some of the discussions can get quite involved and are always interesting.

We look forward to hearing what you have to contribute.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
thank you susan. it's been

thank you susan.

it's been a while since i've read in your forums.  usally only the bad apples leave the taste in your mouth. it's good to know that there are others looking for tasty conversation.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two wrongs don't make a

Two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 wrongs do!(Hint: 3 lefts make a right.)

Joking aside, welcome to RRS. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL!!! thank you

LOL!!! thank you

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: i hope we

sapphen wrote:

i hope we can exchange intelligent ideas while respecting each other's beliefs.

Nice to "meet" you sapphen Smiling 

One thing that quite often seems to become a point of contention in discussions between atheists and theists is the whole "respecting beliefs" issue. Many people can't (or won't) grasp the concept that while the people engaged in debate are always deserving of one another's respect, it doesn't necessarily follow that the same goes for the beliefs they hold. It's impossible to respect a belief you've rejected due to a lack of evidence, regardless of whether or not you respect the person who holds the belief.

All too often people take a challenge to one of their claims or beliefs as a personal attack, when it's absolutely not meant that way.  It's always so much more productive and enjoyable when the participants in a debate are able to separate their opponent from his/her ideas, and realize that the argument's not (and should never be) personal.

I realize that it's quite difficult for some (mostly theists) to be called upon to defend their often lifelong, closely-held beliefs, without feeling as though it's a personal attack; but in light of some of the theists' posts I see here at RRS, it's evident that it doesn't always have to be that way.

Anyone who comes here and makes claims of one thing or another must be prepared to defend those claims with empirical evidence, or admit that they believe such claims to be true without any supporting evidence (they take it on faith). To those of us who demand evidence, ideas or beliefs whose foundations rest upon magic and faith are equally unworthy of respect, whether those beliefs are held by a 15-year-old keyboard warrior or James Dobson (at least there's hope for the teenager to come round to reason).

Anyway, I just wanted to make note of that, since forewarned is forearmed. Smiling Please don't take it personally when your arguments are deconstructed and refuted. That's just how it goes around here! 

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Sapphen. You're the

Welcome Sapphen. You're the kind of Christian I like, the benign sort. Nice to meet you. Jake.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
good to make your

good to make your acquaintance broad, thank you. one reason i like it in here is that i hold no title other than theist.  religious people tend to classify everyone and jump to conclusions.  although a lot of my beliefs are faith based i hope to earn your trust and i am willing to listen to anything that you guys have to offer.

each of us are beautiful indiviuals with excellent ideas and contributions.  i hope that amoungst the deconstruction and refutals we can truly learn the nature of each other.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
) well thank you Jacob...

Smiling) well thank you Jacob... good to meet you as well.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site. Hopefully we can turn the tide. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.