What fallacy would this be:

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline

“Using the crusades to critique Christianity is absurd. It was a thousand years ago!”

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Fallacy of time

Fallacy of time dilution.  Time somehow makes horrible acts in the name of something OK.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:   What

Topher wrote:

“Using the crusades to critique Christianity is absurd. It was a thousand years ago!”

That's a non sequitir: the second sentence has no relation to the first. Does the passage of time make victims somehow less victimized? "Using Pearl Harbor to critique the Japanese is absurd. It was sixty years ago!"

Actors can be criticized for their actions (see: B. Affleck in Reindeer Games). Dead is dead; the only thing the passage of time affects is whether or not you can be convicted, not whether or not you murdered someone (and in the States, there is no statute of limitations on murder).

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
My response was that the

My response was that the point was it was based on Christian theology/scripture.

There response:

"No, it was based on the idea that the Pope should rule over the middle east. It doesn't say that in the bible. The pope was an imperialistic figure at the time and operated as a kind of super-king. The Christian principles of love God, believe in Jesus and be nice to people played very little part in the idea of gaining the lands of the middle east as papal states."

In the same dicussion we got a classic No True Scotsman fallacy: 
"The inquisition and the crusades and many other things are frowned at by true christians."

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:   What

Topher wrote:

We cant blame today's Christians for what their ancestors did. But certainly remembering it without denial would help in preventing such an event to happen again.

But, on the other hand, as I pointed out in another thread, Christianity sets its own believers throughout it's history as a scapegoat because of the "fall of man" story of Adam and Eve. This might explain in phycological terms a denial that sets religous people up to repeat history.

In other words, if it makes no sense to blame Christians 100 years ago, why would a Christian be subject to punishment because of what Adam did.

I think this teaching of self loathing, just like an abused child, the believer will teach the next generation to loath themselves.

Now mind you, the key is not to blame, but to learn from mistakes and NOT blame yourself for your parents mistakes, that way you dont in turn forget what you did and cause your own kid to repeat it and blame them for what you did.

Poop rolls down hill and will infest the next generation if the cycle is not broken. Once the abused becomes the abuser.

Insted of "blame" we should "learn" and move on. "Sin" is a negitive reinforcer and presumes , "You are worthless" before you have even done anything.

I think it would simply be better to stop using such an archaic barbaric word and use more positive language.

"If you want better results next time, learn from what happened" Not, "You're gonna screw up you idiot"

"Sin" is such an acusitory presumption of guilt and once someone buys that they set them selves up to make mistakes and pass their mistakes onto their children.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog