The Gandhi Test

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Growing up Atheist in North Carolina, I think I've had about every Christian vs. Atheist discussion/argument/debate one can have -- as have we all, I'm sure. I'd like to pass on an argument that works for me pretty well.

I call it, "The Gandhi Test" (and I hope I'm spelling that right).

It goes like this: At some point during the conversation, I'll ask the other person if Gandhi is in heaven. "If he accepted Jesus Christ..." blah, blah, blah... so, then I have to explain who Gandhi was and why it would have been impossible for him to accept any one religion over another. If he had total chaos would have broken out, and war would have ravaged all of India for a hundred years. I explain that if anyone on the planet earth has ever lived their life exactly as Jesus did, it was Gandhi. I explain that he lived in an occupied country, just like Jesus. He liberated his country without a single act of violence, just like Jesus. He was executed by his own people, just like Jesus... etc. etc.

Then I explain again that India was in such political turmoil that if Gandhi had shown ANY kind of favoritism of one religion over another, then millions upon millions of people would have died horribly.

Then I ask... "Is Gandhi in Heaven?" Sometimes the person will say, "Of course he is, don't be silly," to which I thank them and tell them I like their god and would be glad to go to their heaven.

But more often than not, a fundamentalist will say, "Not if he doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his personal savior."

Now the fun begins. "In that case," I tell them with great senserity, "if for some strange reason your god were to give me a free pass to heaven, I would turn it down. I would walk away from this kingdom in heaven to sit in Hell with Gandhi." They FREAK! "If your god is son petty that he will not allow a man of peace such as Gandhi into his heaven, then your god is evil. Satan is more Christian than your god -- because Satan accepts ALL people into his kingdom. Satan is not so petty and judgemental. Satan is good, your god is evil."

It's fun to see if you can actually get these poor bigots to have their head explode. I think I've come close to it a few times. Smiling

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Very good. We actually confronted Ray Comfort with a version of your Gandhi test, using Gandhi as an example in our discussion with him on our show.

A close friend of mine, Todangst has written one of my favorite quotes, on topic:

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank for being Jewish. For that, we call him evil. God burns Anne Frank for being Jewish, forever. For that, christians call him "good" "

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Sapient wrote:
Very good. We actually confronted Ray Comfort with a version of your Gandhi test, using Gandhi as an example in our discussion with him on our show.

A close friend of mine, Todangst has written one of my favorite quotes, on topic:

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank for being Jewish. For that, we call him evil. God burns Anne Frank for being Jewish, forever. For that, christians call him "good" "

Interesting!

When did you guys talk to Ray Comfort? I'd love to hear a clip.

And didn't someone argue against his "banana bullshit" theory?

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

spentley
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

peppermint wrote:

What is his banana bullshit theory? I bet its great.

hehe.

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

spentley wrote:
peppermint wrote:

What is his banana bullshit theory? I bet its great.

hehe.

my friend, i bring you one of the funniest pieces of bullshit ever concieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of90cKxSeuw

and i remember someone retorted in a seperate show (was it Brian?) that the zucchini was perfect for the asshole and a certain virus or form a cancer was perfect for T-cells in children

Laughing out loud

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

peppermint wrote:

and i remember someone retorted in a seperate show (was it Brian?) that the zucchini was perfect for the asshole and a certain virus or form a cancer was perfect for T-cells in children

:lol:

That was me, with some insight from Yellow#5.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Gandhi VS God

1890-1948 ............................................................................... timeless

Topic: On Morality

Well, on the surface, you'd figure that this contest would be rather one sided: We have in one corner, a meek, humble man who would be the first to concede that he is a sinner. In the other corner, we have an omniscient, omnibenevolent super deity, who's reportedly gone undefeated in just about any sort of contest you could contemplate, since the dawn of time. (Well, he has one draw, if you count the old testament account of god's wrestling match with Jacob...)

But, let's at least take a look at what each has is on record for saying, regarding some very important moral matters, before deciding. Then I will ask Dr. Lawrence Kohlberg, eminent psychologist and creator of a theory of moral reasoning, to choose the winner

On Honesty:

"The Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee." - I Kings 22:23

VS

Use truth as your anvil, nonviolence as your hammer and anything that does not stand the test when it is brought to the anvil of truth and hammered with nonviolence, reject it.

On Physical Threats and Coercision

"But God will shatter the heads of his enemies..." - Psalms 68:21

VS

One who uses coercion is guilty of deliberate violence. Coercion is inhuman. The more efficient a force is the more silent and the more subtle it is.

On the Use of Physical Force as a Means of Justice

Slay and utterly destroy after them, says the Lord, and do all that I have commanded you.
- Jeremiah 50:21

"Behold the day of the Lord comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger...Whoever is found will be thrust through and whoever is caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes, their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished." - Isaiah 13:9, 13:15

"I will strew your flesh upon the mountains, and fill the valleys with your carcass. I will drench the land even to the mountains with your flowing blood..." Ezekiel 32:5

'Pass through the city after him, and smite; your eye shall not spare and you shall show no pity; slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women...'" - Ezekiel 9:5

VS

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. Love is the subtlest force in the world. Civil disobedience means capacity for unlimited suffering without the intoxicating excitement of killing. Peace will not come out of a clash of arms but out of justice lived and done by unarmed nations in the face of odds.

Satyagraha has been designed as an effective substitute for violence. Satyagraha and civil disobedience and fasts have nothing in common with the use of force, veiled or open. The force of nonviolence is infinitely more wonderful and subtle and powerful than the use of violence.

On Women and Equality

For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman but woman for man." - 1 Corinthians, 11:8

"As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church." - 1 Corinthians 14:34

"Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord." - Ephesians 5:22

"Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor." Timothy 2:11-14

VS

There is no occasion for women to consider themselves subordinate or inferior to man. Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacity.

On Slavery

"As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from the nations that are round about you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession forever; you may make slaves of them, but over your bretheren the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another, with harshness." - Leviticus 25:44

VS

No society can possibly be built on a denial of individual freedom.

On Respect Towards All Life

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. - Genesis 9:2

VS

And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Genesis 6:7

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated...I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."

Now, to decide our winner, Dr. Lawrence Kohlberg

Greetings Web denziens and pursuers of the truth. Here is my decision, based upon my theory of moral reasoning:

My (Kohlberg's) classification can be outlined in the following manner:

LEVEL STAGE SOCIAL ORIENTATION
Pre-conventional 1 Obedience and Punishment
2 Individualism, Instrumentalism,
and Exchange
Conventional 3 "Good boy/girl"
4 Law and Order
Post-conventional 5 Social Contract
6 Principled Conscience

God, is operating on the first level of moral thinking - a sort of reasoning usually found in pre school children. In the first stage of this level, people behave according to socially acceptable norms because they are told to do so by some authority figure (e.g., parent or teacher). This obedience is compelled by the threat or application of punishment.

The second stage of this level is characterized by a view that right behavior means acting in one's own best interests.

The second level of moral thinking is typical of the morality generally found in society, hence the name "conventional." The first stage of this level (stage 3) is characterized by an attitude which seeks to do what will gain the approval of others. The second stage is one oriented to abiding by the law and responding to the obligations of duty.

The third level of moral thinking is one that I (Kohlberg) feel is not reached by the majority of adults. Its first stage (stage 5) is an understanding of social mutuality and a genuine interest in the welfare of others. The last stage (stage 6) is based on respect for universal
principle and the demands of individual conscience. It is this stage that Mr. Gandhi , is operating on.

To learn more about Gandhi try this website:

http://www.cbu.edu/Gandhi

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Nick
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Nice one, Todangst! :smt023

Samuel
Samuel's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Gandhi was a racist asshole who slept naked with naked little girls. Don't worry, he didn't have sex with them - that was the point. It some some religious bullshit that if you can sleep naked with naked little girls and not have sex with them then you'd be powering up your sperm or some shit like that...

He was a sick freak, did lots of weird things like that... And he hated blacks like mad. Called them all sorts of bad things.

He just so happened to love his people and believe in nonviolence.
But he didn't love all people, and nonviolence isn't always the answer.

Gandhi isn't the hero many people make him out to be. Just a warning for future Gandhi arguments.

And don't even get me started with Mother Teresa. EVIL INCARNATE.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Samuel wrote:
Gandhi was a racist asshole

Can you rationally defend that claim?

Quote:

who slept naked with naked little girls. Don't worry, he didn't have sex with them - that was the point.

True... no one is perfect.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Gandhi Test

Ghandi wasn't perfect, nobody is, and I've heard a few of the claims Sam made about him before though I've never really researched their merit.

The fact of the matter is, you could put Pol Pot, Hitler and Stalin together in a triple tag team up against God in a morality standoff, and Hitler & Co. would win.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Suki. (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Gandhi isn't as great as people think.

A lot of what people hear about Gandhi is propaganda

"I explain that if anyone on the planet earth has ever lived their life exactly as Jesus did, it was Gandhi"---i  beg to differ about this claim.

why?

if anyone has ever searched about this mans life they should know that he SUPPORTED HITLER AND THE HOLOCAUST. In January of 1949 he stated, "Hitler killed five million Jews...But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs." ___DOES THIS LOOK LIKE SOMETHING JESUS WOULD SAY ABOUT ANYONE?

In 1941, he wrote a letter to Adolf Hitler saying, "Nor do we believe that you are the monster described by your opponents."____So basically a person who kills five million innocent people is not a monster but a saint?

People say that Gandhi led a life of non-violence, but for over 20 years the man was a lawyer in South Africa. There he was NOT helping to fight for the civil rights of the black Africans, instead, he wanted them to stay below and now exceed in any possible way. In fact, he promoted segregation. __that's TOTALLY something Jesus would do? I THINK NOT!

Gandhi should not and CANNOT be related to Jesus in any moral ways. Gandhi was NOT the one who brought independence to India. If anyone ever knew of the OTHER liberators and revolutionaries in India who fought for their Independence, they would and should know that it was not Gandhi who brought the country to Independence from the United Kingdom.

--One more thing for Patriotic Americans, Gandhi said that George Washington was a "misguided patriot." why? because he ALSO fought a revolution to bring The United States of America to Freedom and did so by means of War. Gandhi really has NO right to call Washington anything of this matter because Gandhi HIMSELF was a Sgt. Major in the British Army.

I am not a Christian, but I REFUSE to have Jesus Christ, someone who brought people to Salvation and helped create a religion EVER be associated with a basically HYPOCRITE as Gandhi.

HOWEVER, the Gandhi Test is Great......great way to check the counterclaims of extremists....

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
OK, the RRS site so ahs to

OK, the RRS site so has to stop letting these "not verified" people post.  So far all have been incredibly stupid - and a few adding to posts that hadn't been responded to in over a year. That part about Jews wasn't supporting Hitler - it was his commitment to total non-violence. At the time he wrote the letter to Hitler, very few people knew about the Holocaust, and most who even heard about it didn't believe it. There was even an alternative history someone wrote about Britain being defeated by Hitler, and Ghandi tried the tactics he used against the British against them - resulting in horrific reprisals. At the end of the story he told the local Nazi governor he was wrong to try it - becuase by then he realized the British were basically a moral civilization, while the Nazis were not. By the way, the Jesus character wasn't the nice guy the Christians try to tell you (assuming you aren't, like many others, actually a Christian and lying about it)

http://www.ffrf.org/nontracts/jesus.php

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find it puzzling that

I find it puzzling that people can look at such a side by side comparison of a guy who, by most accounts, was pretty ok, and the most evil, tyrannical, childish despot in literature, and the best retort they can come up with is: "Well, Ghandi wasn't 100% awesome!"

Wow... those are some amazing skills.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dammit, I wanted to make a

Dammit, I wanted to make a post about the unfairness of hell using good old Mohandas as the prime example, and here I see pretty much the point already made!

Oh well, sleepers, weepers.

Back to the subject, I find it appalling whenever I bring the Gandhi question (that's how I refer to it) and see that, despite his commendable efforts and his commitment to non-violence, people can still say to my face, without blushing or stuttering, that Gandhi "was indeed good but failed at the most important decision a man has to make: believing in Jesus, and therefore he is now in hell, suffering". One guy said this to me, word for word (but in Spanish) and it took much of my strength not to jab his nose in.

How is this fair? Assuming hell exists, and there's nothing to it but flames, pain and eternal darkness dished out indiscriminately, Gandhi would receive the exact same punishment as Hitler, Pol Pot, Caligula and Isabella of Castile (she ought to be there). How does this work? Does satan goes "Ok, people, lets get moving: The guy who stole Chaplin's look, brother number one, the skinny peacemonger, the murderous incestuous nutjob and the antisemitic zealot, get your asses to the lake of brimstone, pronto!"

And it's us atheists that have no morals...

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst's People In Hell

Todangst's People In Hell post.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm familiar with plenty of

I'm familiar with plenty of nasty stories about Gandhi and the half-assed attempts I've made to study their authenticity have shown that the strongest critique that could be made (that he favored Partition) is without basis.  I hope he didn't abuse young girls, but if that's true, we've got plenty of sanctified perverts to worry with in western culture.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Tonangst really turns me

Tonangst really turns me on. I want to kiss this man, here goes  

and Gandhi too .....

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Penn and Teller did an

Penn and Teller did an episode of Bullshit where they tackled the whole Gandhi thing. Apparently, according to them, he was racist. I tried finding the episode on youtube but it just aint there. There were some other things about Gandhi that weren't particularly savoury either. However, I would say he was a great man. Possibly a racist asshole, but a racist asshole who did great things.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:However, I would say

Quote:
However, I would say he was a great man. Possibly a racist asshole, but a racist asshole who did great things.

I've never understood why otherwise rational atheists expect history's big figures to be perfect.  It's as if they were raised believing that it was possible for a man to be perfect...

Books about atheism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Penn and Teller

Jello wrote:

Penn and Teller did an episode of Bullshit where they tackled the whole Gandhi thing. Apparently, according to them, he was racist. I tried finding the episode on youtube but it just aint there. There were some other things about Gandhi that weren't particularly savoury either. However, I would say he was a great man. Possibly a racist asshole, but a racist asshole who did great things.

racism, in my opinion, is always bad, regardless of time or place, in that it is completely irrational and counterproductive to a peaceful society.  however, just because someone is a racist doesn't automatically make them an asshole.  everybody knows that there have been many periods of human history when what we consider today as racism was held to be "just the way it is."  i'm sure there are views that we as western society, supposedly so liberal, hold today as givens that future generations will find detestable.

i'm an admirer of gandhi.  i'm also an admirer of abraham lincoln (another nonreligious theist--don't believe bullshit urban legends about him "accepting christ" at gettysburg) and many things he said and wrote are horribly racist and ignorant by today's standards, but overall, morally and ethically, i think he was a "good" man.

as far as being in the army goes, well, many british subjects were in those days and nobody ever claimed he sprang from his mother's womb a fully-formed nonviolent.  as for the claim about young girls, i wasn't aware of that till now.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
My great grandmother was

My great grandmother was born in 1890 and grew up in the deep south.  She was religiously deluded and distinctly racist, but she was basically a good person.  Context matters.

Books about atheism

self-proclaimed Christian (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Very good. We

Sapient wrote:
Very good. We actually confronted Ray Comfort with a version of your Gandhi test, using Gandhi as an example in our discussion with him on our show. A close friend of mine, Todangst has written one of my favorite quotes, on topic: "Hitler burned people like Anne Frank for being Jewish. For that, we call him evil. God burns Anne Frank for being Jewish, forever. For that, christians call him "good" "

hi, i was just looking up stuff on gandhi and happened by your site. i actually offer the same gandhi test to the zealots. i plan to share the anne frank one. satan is more accepting than god! lol. thanks for sharing!

for the most part, i consider myself a christian out of tradition. its the same reason i consider myself american or black or male, human, etc. i know it has shaped who i am and the way i view the world. i know it unites me with some and differentiates me from others. i suppose i could try to reject every label placed on me but id rather take a stance of acceptance. i believe the same about my God. peace.

Nawaz (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
lol oh you are so wrong

>Then I explain again that India was in such political turmoil that if Gandhi had >shown ANY kind of favoritism of one religion over another, then millions upon >millions of people would have died horribly.

Lol dude you kidding me?? Gandhi DID show favouratism, he refered to the Muslim leaders of congress as "minority leaders", he refered to the hindu terms like "satyagarha" and other spiritual terms..Merely two year later, the non-violent activists of the Non-Cooperation Movement rounded up twenty-two Indian policemen who had refused to resign from their jobs, and burnt them alive inside their own police station. Gandhi at once declared that God has told him that the time is not ripe for the non-cooperation movement. The Ali Brothers, how ever, refused to withdraw. The Khilafat Movement went on for another two years.

However, during those turbulent years of the early 1920’s, the Indian extremist politics attained its largest victory against everything that the rationalists like Sir Syed Ahmed Khan and Ram Mohan Roy had gained in the last one hundred years. Soon, there was a rift between the Muslims and the Hindus, while Jinnah watched helplessly from a secluded corner of the Indian politics. The age of rationalism to which he belonged, had gone by. It took him another fifteen years before he could grasp the limelight of the political stage again. This time, however, in a different role.

It was Gandhi who introduced hindu religious philosophy in indian politics and refered to muslims as minority discriminating and basing his politics on non-rational spritual stuff. Jinnah the most rational man a man straight out of Ayn Rands novels had to follow reason and separate himself form the extreme that Gandhi had brought upon indian politics, and thus the rational Jinnah created a separate state for the people that Gandhi refered to as minorities.

Cheers and thanks your article has been the most irrational of many i have read recently.