Yellow#5 considers moving to Boston

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow#5 considers moving to Boston

I've been offered a really interesting job in my field of expertise (highly specialized porous and non-porous membranes) with a firm in the Boston area. The salary is reasonable, but not lavish, but the potential of the company is huge (and I'd be getting in on the ground floor with stock options and the like) and the people are, well, frankly brilliant.

Still, I'd be moving to an area I'm unfamiliar with and where I don't know anyone, and from what I've researched the cost of living there is even higher than where I am now, which is already ridiculous.

Keeping up with recording shows would also be tougher, but very reasonable to do. A round trip between Philly and Boston can be had for as little as $80, and the frequent flyer miles would add up quickly.

So anyway, there are the pros and cons as I see them.

I'd like any input from anyone who lives in the Boston area, if there are any here. I'd be nice to know somebody there, and I really need info concerning places to live, what rents and real estate run, and what there is to do there besides watch Sox and Pats games.

Any input would be greatly welcomed!

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I notice that folks

Well, I notice that folks are flocking to help you out!

I don't know the Boston area, but a good friend of mine moved there a few months ago.

If it's not too late for your info (if you've already accepted or turned down the job offer), I could email her.

PM or email me if you'd like me to get in touch with my friend.

Let us know here what you decide and congratulations on a job offer!!! 

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Indeed, I did hope for a

Indeed, I did hope for a bit better a respnse than this, but I do thank you for your help, Susan. Please do email your friend, any info would help me out.

I plan to fly or drive up to the area this week to check things out and see how the rent would impact my salary. Odds are, I will be taking the job, but a few pointers would come in handy.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Advice: Never use "r"

Advice: Never use "r" again.  =P

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Ag One! Now jump on it,

Ag One! Now jump on it, Tonto.

(I used no "r"s) Eye-wink

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have emailed my friend. 

I have emailed my friend.  I'll let you kmow if/when I hear something back.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not quite sure how

I'm not quite sure how helpful this will be, but I used to go to Boston quite frequently.  It's a wonderful city and it's also a very young city (there are a lot of colleges within city lines - I think the median age is 30ish).  However, its also incredibly expensive and I believe that housing was a bit hard to come by (that may not be true anymore)The public transportation was pretty good, if memory serves.  The outlying towns are much cheaper and can be accessed via public transportation. 

Let's put it this way: if I could have afforded to live in Boston, I would have been there in a heartbeat.  I'm sure this isn't exactly helpful but... just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard back from my friend

I heard back from my friend and she LOVES Boston.  Here's a bit of what she said, plus she suggested I pass along her email address in case you have any specific or additional questions.  I will PM that to you.  She's happy to help out.

I still very much enjoy the Boston area.  Your friend is correct about the cost of living relating to housing expenses.

Cost of Living:

I don't notice grocery/clothes/gas being out of line with what I am used to.  Maybe services - like haircuts/nails/etc.are a little more but I also go to a salon IN Boston - out in the suburbs - it wouldn't be as much probably.

I live in Arlington which is approximately 5-7 miles (guessing) West of downtown Boston.  I considered living in Boston, sometimes regret that I don't except for the parking situation.  If I didn't have a car - I would live in Boston in a heartbeat.  Also, my job is only 10-12 minutes from Arlington (Lexington - next town to the West) and the commute from Boston, while against traffic, would drive me insane every day.  Depending on what part of Boston, monthly parking would be $200-300 in addition to rent.  That's too much of my discretionary income.

Hope that helps - if your friend has a specific question about a neighborhood/surrounding town he can contact me if he wants.  I don't mind.  I can ask my sister or folks here in the office for their opinion since I haven't been here quite long enough to know EVERYTHING yet about my new town.

SAVAGE
Superfan
SAVAGE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

I've been offered a really interesting job in my field of expertise (highly specialized porous and non-porous membranes) with a firm in the Boston area. The salary is reasonable, but not lavish, but the potential of the company is huge (and I'd be getting in on the ground floor with stock options and the like) and the people are, well, frankly brilliant.

Still, I'd be moving to an area I'm unfamiliar with and where I don't know anyone, and from what I've researched the cost of living there is even higher than where I am now, which is already ridiculous.

Keeping up with recording shows would also be tougher, but very reasonable to do. A round trip between Philly and Boston can be had for as little as $80, and the frequent flyer miles would add up quickly.

So anyway, there are the pros and cons as I see them.

I'd like any input from anyone who lives in the Boston area, if there are any here. I'd be nice to know somebody there, and I really need info concerning places to live, what rents and real estate run, and what there is to do there besides watch Sox and Pats games.

Any input would be greatly welcomed!

Cant help you out bud, but if consider lecturing at the University of the South Pacific...then I could tel you abouthow great Island life is.

Cool

A MESSAGE TO ALL THEISTS:

CRY ME A RIVER

BUILD ME A BRIDGE

BUT IN THE NAME OF NOTHING GET OVER IT.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't Boston a particularly

Isn't Boston a particularly religious area?

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Thank you and your mystery

Thank you and your mystery friend SO much, SUSAN. This is the sort of info that really helps. Just today, I excluded two apartments with attractive rents that had hidden parking fees on top of it - bastards! Plus two more places who only had street parking on SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES - can you say towing fees?

It's also pretty clear I'll be looking to live in the Burbs, as that's where my job is anyway (about 10 miles out of the city proper). I like being where the action is, but paying twice the rent plus a few hundred a month for parking isn't worth it - not now anyway.

I've got some promising places in the Somerville area (near to the job) to check out early next week.

So far, I'm optimistic, it sounds like a cool town with a lot going on that isn't out of my price range so long as I can grab a reasonable rent rate.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The T is your friend.  You

The T is your friend.  You can get as far west as Belmont on the red line, or take the commuter rail as far out as Fitchburg (my hometown).  We're paying rent of $725 a month on a two bedroom apartment this far out.

The T's reasonable, traffic's a nightmare.  Boston's a city that you don't really need a car.  It's also MUCH smaller than you think it is.  The only thing you need a car for in the Boston area is if you want to travel out.

Gas is insane in town, fill up outside the city.

Anything else, ask your local Masshole. 

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Well, I have secured a

Well, I have secured a place, it's in Sagus (north shore area, slightly north and east of the city center).

The place is nice and within my budget, a one BR with a loft that is nearly as big as the BR, a great view over a park, plenty of storage, lots of amenities, lots of people my age, near several sushi restaurates and pubs. About 10 minutes from center city, about the same from the beach and the same to work (which will be travel in the OPPOSITE direction of rush hour traffic).

There was actually another place I seriously considered that was a bit bigger and just as nice for a little less money, but it was about 45 minutes from the city (20 from work). Like they say; location, location, location.

I'll be moving in on the 27th or perhaps earlier and starting work a day or two after that.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations, Y#5, on

Congratulations, Y#5, on your new job, your new city and your new place.

Your new place sounds pretty darned wonderful.  I hope you'll post some pictures once you get settled.