I am the Worst Athiest Ever.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am the Worst Athiest Ever.

Hello All, I'm new here, but have visited and read posts here for a few months. I'm trepid about joining groups, but I look forward to getting involved in the wonderful and insightful conversations that exist here.

Why am I the worst Athiest Ever? Because I fail constantly to argue my posisition. Many members of my family are religious and I love conversing with them. However I just can't seem to make my points clearly. If I may be candid, I have an above-average IQ, but suffer from a terrible temper.

When confronted aggressively I become angry very quickly. My family, especially my brother, know this and use it against me in such a way as to declare my lack of belief is in turn the cause of my temper.

How do you guys constantly confront irrationality without getting angry? As I fail to do at every turn.

The good news? I'm very reseptive to advice, so anyone willing to throw some I promise to catch it.

Thanks.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your best bet? Laugh it off.

Your best bet? Laugh it off.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
A good way to is present

A good way to is present your arguements here and see what other people can give you to improve upon and to also vent your anger with people who might also come across the same problems.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!  You are not the

Welcome!  You are not the worst atheist - you are human.  I have a tendency to get a little overly emotional in debates too.  I have gotten much better since joining this site simply because it has helped me refine my thoughts so that when faced with this situation I can react rationally.

My advice on the family issue - don't debate with family.  Yeah, I know it is hard because you want to so bad and they will taunt you, but really it can lead to some pretty bad feelings on both sides.  If nothing else, give yourself some breathing space and check out the threads here before trying again.  

I am not sure how well versed you are in logical fallacies, but learning these helped me tremendously.  When I first joined I could not spot a logical fallacy if it had a damn flag planted on it.  Now I have gotten much better, which has helped me develop better and more consistent arguments.  I can provide some links for these if you are interested. 

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: Hello

Cassiopeia wrote:
Hello All, I'm new here, but have visited and read posts here for a few months. I'm trepid about joining groups, but I look forward to getting involved in the wonderful and insightful conversations that exist here. Why am I the worst Athiest Ever? Because I fail constantly to argue my posisition. Many members of my family are religious and I love conversing with them. However I just can't seem to make my points clearly. If I may be candid, I have an above-average IQ, but suffer from a terrible temper. When confronted aggressively I become angry very quickly. My family, especially my brother, know this and use it against me in such a way as to declare my lack of belief is in turn the cause of my temper. How do you guys constantly confront irrationality without getting angry? As I fail to do at every turn. The good news? I'm very reseptive to advice, so anyone willing to throw some I promise to catch it. Thanks.

First off atheist is spell with the e first and the i second.  It's a common error.  So much for your IQ.  C'mon slacker! what hte hell.  And there's lots of other problems with your grammer.  Atheist also doesn't need to be capitalized.

Seriously though forks, I'm just trying to see if I can draw the anger.

I have the same problem.  I think the key to not getting angry are two fold: 1) Confidence.  You have to be very confident in your belief, and confident in your reasoning.  Education will be the key to confidence in my experience.  

2) Pick your issues.  You don't need to have all the answers.  You're an atheist becuase of a reason, and you can be passionate about some causes and not others.  For me it's secularism, and the education of hatred that bother me.  So I stick to those issues and educate myself on those issues.  I don't get caught up in the theories about the universe as much because I know that I'm not going to be able to give proper educated responses.  You don't need to have all the answers to say that you don't believe it was caused by a super natural being.  Be confident in saying that you don't know the answer.  You don't need to know the answer.  You're not the one afraid of the unknown, they are.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I think the best way i delt

I think the best way i delt with people who where so irrational was by learning logic and making rational arguments. People who are extreamly irratoinal get mad themselves when they have ben pwned by logical argumentation, it almost becomes satisfing to pwn a irrational person. I hardly ever now get angry with people who are irrational, it now becomes more how can i help them become more irrational. Also since my studying of psychology i understand why so many peopl are irrational so that helps too.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trust me, you're not the

Trust me, you're not the worst atheist ever.  When I'm verbally debating, I usually get so flustered that I begin to stutter and forget the facts, only to remember them when I'm shaking my head in disgust two hours later. 

Actually, I tend to forget the facts on this forum too, now that I think about it.  So my arguments always suck.  But you gotta keep trying!

I tend to get very angry very quickly.  My friends call it 'the wave of rage'.  I find that if I know I'm about to enter into something that will most likely get me pissed, preparing for that angry tide actually helps me control it.  I try to keep it in the back of mind that getting angry doesn't solve things (well, not all the time).  Most of the time it works; but not always.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
After years of being an

After years of being an evangelical, I completely screwed up my first conversation with my family about atheism.  Sadly, yes, you can't take back a first impression, but I've spent 23 years thinking as a theist and only 3 as an atheist (with another 2 of confusion) so it'll take me some practice.

What about you?  Are you a new atheist?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are not the worst

You are not the worst atheist ever, you just need to get your debate 'legs' under you.

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline

Cassiopeia wrote:
Hello All, I'm new here, but have visited and read posts here for a few months. I'm trepid about joining groups, but I look forward to getting involved in the wonderful and insightful conversations that exist here.

Why am I the worst Athiest Ever? Because I fail constantly to argue my posisition. Many members of my family are religious and I love conversing with them. However I just can't seem to make my points clearly. If I may be candid, I have an above-average IQ, but suffer from a terrible temper.

When confronted aggressively I become angry very quickly. My family, especially my brother, know this and use it against me in such a way as to declare my lack of belief is in turn the cause of my temper.

How do you guys constantly confront irrationality without getting angry? As I fail to do at every turn.

The good news? I'm very reseptive to advice, so anyone willing to throw some I promise to catch it.

Thanks.

I'm right there with ya Cass...I know what I want to say, but just can't seem to get the point across without getting pissed. I guess I just have a very low tolerance for obstinate stupidity.

-HCG

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cassiopeia wrote:

Thanks.

Maybe you should start looking for their buttons. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Trust me,

pariahjane wrote:
Trust me, you're not the worst atheist ever. When I'm verbally debating, I usually get so flustered that I begin to stutter and forget the facts, only to remember them when I'm shaking my head in disgust two hours later.

Same here! I need to work on my verbal perfomance!

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
After reading the rest of

After reading the rest of the responses in this topic, I'd say I'm more than a little concerned at the fact that you all seem to agree that being the "best" atheist means being the best at debating. Surely there is more to what makes a "good" atheist than one's ability to engage in philosophical combat. Isn't there?

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

After reading the rest of the responses in this topic, I'd say I'm more than a little concerned at the fact that you all seem to agree that being the "best" atheist means being the best at debating. Surely there is more to what makes a "good" atheist than one's ability to engage in philosophical combat. Isn't there?

Its a fair point...  but most all of the 'negative' arguments against atheism, especially those coming from theists, are illogical.  And thus learning to communicate with solid logic is essential. 

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Welcome!  You

jce wrote:

Welcome!  You are not the worst atheist - you are human.  I have a tendency to get a little overly emotional in debates too.  I have gotten much better since joining this site simply because it has helped me refine my thoughts so that when faced with this situation I can react rationally.

My advice on the family issue - don't debate with family.  Yeah, I know it is hard because you want to so bad and they will taunt you, but really it can lead to some pretty bad feelings on both sides.  If nothing else, give yourself some breathing space and check out the threads here before trying again.  

I am not sure how well versed you are in logical fallacies, but learning these helped me tremendously.  When I first joined I could not spot a logical fallacy if it had a damn flag planted on it.  Now I have gotten much better, which has helped me develop better and more consistent arguments.  I can provide some links for these if you are interested. 

I suck at signatures.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok I just totally screwed up

Ok I just totally screwed up my response in attempting to quote someone. but my reply is this: I agree I should stop debating family, but they always, everyday tell me how they are going to pray for me and that almost feels like an invasion of my privacy.

So while I agree with this it is very difficult.

To respond to another question: Yes I'm a new atheist(spelled right and not capitalized!)

Although this may not be anything uncommon, I never did believe in a personal god. More of a deist, but now an atheist.

On a side note, I just finished arguing with my brother, he almost hit me when I compared chrisitanity to a cult like scientology!

I suck at signatures.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to assume that was

I'm going to assume that was a request for information on them.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I have never really

Yeah, I have never really been great at debating religion which is one of the many reasons I hang out with the RRS which is to learn. 

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I'm going to

Vastet wrote:

Wow, thank you. Thank you very much. I think I'll print all of it and place it in a sleeve to wear on my wrist for quick reference. Like quarterbacks do with their plays!

I'm such a geek.

For any theists reading this, do you see why it would bother me so much to constantly hear how your going to pray for me? I hope so, and I hope your reasons are ones I can express to those constantly doing it to me.(family) Thanks.

I suck at signatures.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tend to have a minor melt

I tend to have a minor melt down when someone tries to tell me that evolution is 'just' a theory, or that it has no evidence, or something of that nature.

I will debate for hours on the existance of a god, but half the time I can't be bothered to debate someone who seriously believes that evolution says we come from rocks. 

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia issues with

Cassiopeia issues with arguments just take experience, maybe a bit of study in interpersonal communication. Anger might just be frustration or could because you are new to atheism (I don't know if you are). I've seen a few people who just "de-converted" who hold some resentment, some said it took them years to let go of it.

The best thing you could do is read convos and start joining in. After awhile you'll be able to spot the kinds of arguments maybe even be able to see some coming. With that you won't be as surprised and expect certain arguments or reactions. Plus even if you do get a bit hot under the collar you'll still know how to respond to the common ones.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: First off

Tarpan wrote:

First off atheist is spell with the e first and the i second.  It's a common error.  So much for your IQ.  C'mon slacker! what hte hell.  And there's lots of other problems with your grammer.  Atheist also doesn't need to be capitalized.

Seriously though forks, I'm just trying to see if I can draw the anger.

I have the same problem.  I think the key to not getting angry are two fold: 1) Confidence.  You have to be very confident in your belief, and confident in your reasoning.  Education will be the key to confidence in my experience.  

2) Pick your issues.  You don't need to have all the answers.  You're an atheist becuase of a reason, and you can be passionate about some causes and not others.  For me it's secularism, and the education of hatred that bother me.  So I stick to those issues and educate myself on those issues.  I don't get caught up in the theories about the universe as much because I know that I'm not going to be able to give proper educated responses.  You don't need to have all the answers to say that you don't believe it was caused by a super natural being.  Be confident in saying that you don't know the answer.  You don't need to know the answer.  You're not the one afraid of the unknown, they are.

Y'know, people can have above average IQs and be dyslexic. Like me. Only, I'm a dyslexic who can spell.

Cass,

It can be hard to present arguments especially when people don't want to listen or won't let you finish. My best mate's Catholic girlfriend is terrible for that, I can't win anything with her because she constantly talks and won't let me get a word in edgeways. I usually end up shouting "let me finish!!" Basically as has been said, laugh it off, and see what you can learn here.  

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I think I'll give my family the following advice: You have to come to atheism on your own, nothing I say or prove will get you there.

They probably will tell me I've conceded defeat. Maybe I have. But enough of my whining eh? I've joined other discussions on the boards now and am anixious to hone my arguing skills.

I think I'll go practice on my cat. Not only does she believe in god, but I'm pretty sure she's republican too!

I suck at signatures.

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Common problem

I see we have a common problem. If an argument/debate is important to me, I insist on conducting it via email. That way, I can cool off before responding and edit my response. Furthermore, I have a written record of everything both parties have said. It's great way to catch people contradicting themselves.

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Comment problem

Dang, whenever I comment recently, it get an error page, and if i refresh, it duplicates my comment.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
jackal wrote: I see we have

jackal wrote:
I see we have a common problem. If an argument/debate is important to me, I insist on conducting it via email. That way, I can cool off before responding and edit my response. Furthermore, I have a written record of everything both parties have said. It's great way to catch people contradicting themselves.

Great point. I've invited people to debate through written correspondance. Never has anyone taken me up on this.

Frustrating. Especially because the advantages to this method work both ways.

I suck at signatures.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: Vastet

Cassiopeia wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Wow, thank you. Thank you very much. I think I'll print all of it and place it in a sleeve to wear on my wrist for quick reference. Like quarterbacks do with their plays!

No problem. Smiling

jackal wrote:

Dang, whenever I comment recently, it get an error page, and if i refresh, it duplicates my comment.

A solution to this is to open replies in a new window/tab, then refresh the topic window when you get the error message. If your post showed up, you can close the window with the error message displayed.
You can also try changing your theme to the default if you've changed it. I was getting an error message with every post on a theme other than the default one. Once I switched themes I stopped getting the error.

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I may say this. It

If I may say this. It doesn't take a good debater to make a good athiest. There should be no need for you to defend your lack of belief.

Being a bad debater does not equal bad athiest anymore than being a good cook equals to being a good christian. There is simply no relation. period. End of story.

If you whish to improve your debate skills to be more coherent about expressing your lack of belief, great! More power to you. Either way, you're still one of us.

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I agree I should

Quote:
I agree I should stop debating family, but they always, everyday tell me how they are going to pray for me and that almost feels like an invasion of my privacy.

If you want a snippy answer, then one I love is "Thank you - and I'll think for you." Got that on these forums.

But try to think back to when you were a deist. If you had said "I'll pray for you" to someone, would you have been saying it out of hate? Would you tell someone you hate that you would pray for them?

"I'll pray for you", said genuinely, could well mean "I am scared, very scared, that someone I care about is getting themselves into more trouble than they can iagine, and there's nothing I can do that will save them from them, and every time I try it just seems to make things worse, and I feel so helpless..."

Would a snippy answer help with that? It would help give you a lift if you are pissed at them, but if you really want to knock them for six, maybe try "thanks. That means a lot to me, because it shows whatever you think about my beliefs, you don't hate me. I love you too, even though I suck at showing it when we disagree."

I've not tried it. I was kicked out of the family religion as a kid when I refused to kiss the guru's feet.

Personally, I think talking about it with your family would be best: but you have to keep the tone level. My fiancée and I (she is mormon) have agreed that we would discuss it through IM (not email, too slow) because that removes some of the aggressiveness. We also agree that if one or the other of us notices ourselves getting too hot (not angry: hot. Actual physical heat is a good sign that rational thought has left the building) then we will go and literally soak our heads to cool down - and when two people go into the bathroom and start splashing, well... it takes a while to get back to the debate, which is good Laughing out loud

You could hand him a supersoaker, and hold one yourself, and tell him to squirt you if you get cross, and warn him you'll do the same (but mind the computers, dont get 'em wet!) Then deliberately be the first to get cross, and be sure to laugh when he squirts you, thank him for it, and go get him a jug for a refill.

Suddenly, it becomes a game! You can debate until you get bored, then shout "Doodiehead!" and it's a gunfight!

Might not work. But something might. If you admit to them that discussing it is an anger button for you, and that you would really like to talk with them about it, then maybe you can find some set of rules that at least one of your family will abide by.

Debating is 99% listening. This is why I write so much: I suck at debating. So, listen to them. Find out what their concerns are and what is important to them. I can guarantee you that they totally are not interested in whether there is good evidence for evolution, or any of that stuff.

Odds are, their main concern is that they are scared, for you.

I do not have an answer to that, but if that' their main issue, it's the one you ave to address. Attacking their religion is irrelevant and will just deteriorate the conversation into a fight.

If they ask questions, answer them the best you can. "I don't know" is a good answer. Better is "Ooh, I never thought of that: it'll take me a while to find out, I'll make a note to look it up/I'll need to sleep on it."

The phrase "good question" is best avoided (it sounds condescending when written) or at least not said too often. If you do say it, say it in a self-deprecating way.

Self-deprecation works wonders. Jokes about yourself, rather than digs at them.

Quote:
On a side note, I just finished arguing with my brother, he almost hit me when I compared chrisitanity to a cult like scientology!

Right there is an example - you're scoring points, and pissng him off.

Why? You don't believe in God any more, so you've no imaginary giant hand in the sky keeping tally with a stick of chalk the size of a tree.

It's just your brother. He might be scared for you, he might be scared of the kids at school and what they will be saying "Haha, your sister is a devil worshipper! Have you got horns and a tail too?" He might even be scared of you.

Either way, he hates that you believe this. If you let him know how proud and happy you are that he hates your belief, not you... well eventually maybe he'll get to understand and believe that too.

I had a boss: when I was new in the job, he took me to one side and said "You know, Dewi, I really like you, because, I know need to tell you stuff once." I took pride in that ever after, until two years later I caught on - he said that to EVERY new employee! But I still take pride in it even now, because I'd developed that skill by then!

People respond better to praise that they do X well, than to complaints that they do it badly. If you say you're glad he hates your belief, not you, then he may believe it of himself. And then discussing your belief, as a separate thing to you, becomes easier. He's no longer attacking you, directly.

Of course, YOU will know that your (lack of) belief is a very important part of what you are, and that by attacking it, he is attacking your core. So, you'll still wince when he says atheism is a stupid religion and you think your grandma was a monkey and you worship the devil. Just try not to show it, and laugh it off.

Agreement helps. Find lots to agree with. You'll find (if you can read it) that the first chunk of Daniel Dennett's book is simply agreeing with his detractors. Find out what the strawmen they think you believe, and agree that yes, those ideas are silly - ludicrous even.

Anyway, like I said, I am crap at debating, so don't listen to me.

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
not all of us can debate

not all of us can debate like sam harris or christopher hitchens. typing on a forum, where you have time to think over your reply and edit it, and debating in person where you have to think quickly and speak eloquently are very different.

simple truth, you don't need to be a master at verbal debating. you just need to be confident in your beliefs, assure of who you are, and if you can't think of a quick snappy response just say this:

"i haven't memorized a script of quick facts so i can sit here and argue with you for hours, but what i've read is far more convincing to me than anything that you're saying, so i'm sticking with what i believe."

i know it's horribly cheesey to quote yourself, but i wrote a song based around my core belief, called "this man". the line that inspired the song and still inspires me everyday is this:

"i don't need anyone to tell me who i am" 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
"...99% of debating is

"...99% of debating is listening"

I like that. That's good. You people were the right people to contact and know. Thanks.

Oh, among the great advice I read someone mention about school, in which I can I wonder what gave the impression I was young enough to be in school? Just wondering, not an objection.

I suck at signatures.

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Me I think - in trying to

Me I think - in trying to show that your brother might have concerns that are [edit: I meant "aren't"] obvious, I suggested that he might be worried about what people might say at "school", but it applies equally well to "work", or "the club". Any social gathering, where it might be known that he has a "satanist evolution-believing devil-worshipping horn-growing atheist" for a sister, and that might reflect on him Smiling

Again, that was only one of an infinite number of worries he might have: I still feel that the most likely is worry for you and your "immor(t)al soul".

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: I think

Cassiopeia wrote:
I think I'll go practice on my cat. Not only does she believe in god, but I'm pretty sure she's republican too!

Welcome Cassiopeia!  I'm a little late with the welcome, but it's no less sincere.

You've come to the right place if you're looking to learn.  Even those that don't come here to learn, at the very least, learn a whole lot of new (and sometimes big) words.

I'm a little concerned about your cat, though.  Being a real critter person myself and having a herd of atheist cats, I cannot imagine the worry and concern you must have. Wink If your cat is also a republican, we can at least be relieved the cat cannot vote. 

We also really appreciate a good sense of humor!

Glad to see you aboard! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

brights
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
good point there I agree a

good point there I agree a person doesn't have to have a good ability to engage in philosophical combat to be a good debator. 

I don't think there are good atheist or bad atheists.  We just are atheists.  Good or bad at debating I would say that but not with being atheist. 

As far as loosing my temper.  I try not to insult because I know that is what the debating christians goal is.  they like it when we insult them and become angry it seems to make them think they are justified in their bigotry towards us.  Their bible tells them people will become wax cold and that's just what they are trying to make it to be.  Blame the atheists, say we are exactly what their wholly babble claims will be.  I refuse to give into that nonsense.   Take up a course in anger management and learn the proper steps necessary to keep your temper in place.  Lookup debating skill on the internet if there are any and soon we will all learn how to proberly debate our point of view with out the anger.  Yeah it's hard sometimes we are just human but I much prefer the christian loose their temper than myself.  I'm still learning though.

Jessica0
Jessica0's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopia - Your situation

Cassiopia - Your situation sounds very similar to my own - I started hanging out here to get good arguements for my debates with my brother who just decieded to join bible school in the fall to become a preacher.  I also know the feeling of oh no I lost my temper again....

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.” Desiderius Erasmus

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Cassiopeia

Susan wrote:

Cassiopeia wrote:

Welcome Cassiopeia! I'm a little late with the welcome, but it's no less sincere.

You've come to the right place if you're looking to learn. Even those that don't come here to learn, at the very least, learn a whole lot of new (and sometimes big) words.

I'm a little concerned about your cat, though. Being a real critter person myself and having a herd of atheist cats, I cannot imagine the worry and concern you must have. Wink If your cat is also a republican, we can at least be relieved the cat cannot vote.

We also really appreciate a good sense of humor!

Glad to see you aboard!

I got my republican cat in florida, she voted several times in 2000! So we can all blame Bush on her!  

I suck at signatures.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jessica0 wrote: Cassiopia -

Jessica0 wrote:
Cassiopia - Your situation sounds very similar to my own - I started hanging out here to get good arguements for my debates with my brother who just decieded to join bible school in the fall to become a preacher. I also know the feeling of oh no I lost my temper again....

This is scary. My brother just enrolled in a bible school to becaome a preacher. I'll trade you brothers if you wantWink

I suck at signatures.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cassiopeia wrote:
Hello All, I'm new here, but have visited and read posts here for a few months. I'm trepid about joining groups, but I look forward to getting involved in the wonderful and insightful conversations that exist here. Why am I the worst Athiest Ever? Because I fail constantly to argue my posisition. Many members of my family are religious and I love conversing with them. However I just can't seem to make my points clearly. If I may be candid, I have an above-average IQ, but suffer from a terrible temper. When confronted aggressively I become angry very quickly. My family, especially my brother, know this and use it against me in such a way as to declare my lack of belief is in turn the cause of my temper. How do you guys constantly confront irrationality without getting angry? As I fail to do at every turn. The good news? I'm very reseptive to advice, so anyone willing to throw some I promise to catch it. Thanks.
I've noticed that, every time I use a logical argument against my family, they think I'm an idiot and don't catch what I'm saying. When I make some illogical, emotional argument, they love it. So, some people react better to different (flawed) types of arguments.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
Cassiopeia wrote:
I've noticed that, every time I use a logical argument against my family, they think I'm an idiot and don't catch what I'm saying. When I make some illogical, emotional argument, they love it. So, some people react better to different (flawed) types of arguments.

I've sadly become rather good at arguing with appeals to emotion.