An Introduction

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
An Introduction

Hello to you all. I'm LosingStreak06.

Allow me to be frank: I am a theist, of sorts. I am largely irrational, to the point of probable insanity. I rather like it that way. I'm not here to convince you that you are wrong and I am right, or to convert you to my way of thinking. I don't want you to join my religion; I'm quite sure that you would ruin it.

I am here because the people of this website apparently have a real problem with my way of thinking, and I would like to understand it a little better.

So forgive me for any intrusion, and any trouble I may cause. I'll try to keep myself out of your hair as much as possible.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Allow me to be frank:

Hi Frank!! A crazy theist huh? Never encountered that before...... 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess there's no harm in

I guess there's no harm in being irrational if you're rational about knowing you're irrational. Welcome.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose that calling

I suppose that calling oneself a "crazy theist" would be considered an act of redundancy around here. I was merely trying to give fair warning of my eccentricity.

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The best form of insanity is

The best form of insanity is trying to understand why other people think they are sane. Eye-wink

Some here do that rather well: and by learning to argue with atheists on their own terms, they either give up their faith, or become much stronger in it, because they find that it can survive rational argument.

Be warned though: if you get too good at understanding us, there's a possibility that you might be able to explain your world view in terms we can understand. And if we understand it, we may stop attacking you with incorrect interpretations of what we *think* you believe, and actually have an interesting and fun debate.

There's also always a possibility that by understanding eachother, we might actually start to agree on some points, but that would just be silly, and is to be avoided where possible.

Would you be kind enough to describe your beliefs? Or better, your disbeliefs, the things about secular science that make you go "suuuuure, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!"

What would be really cool is if there was a "theist code" here, like the various "trekkie code", "furry code" etc you see around. Would cut out a whole bunch of the introductory nonsense if you could see at a glance "Japanese Buddhist/Shinto" or "Calvinist young-earth literal biblical Christian" or "LaVey Satanist" or "Agnostic, Atheistic wrt Judaeo-Christianity". Especially if that would pop up just by mouse-overing their name!

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Dude i like have a theist

Dude i like have a theist code too. It would make it so easy to understand where a given theist is coming from. We could even have a atheist code too to be fair. For the atheists could could have like agnostic atheist gnostic atheist ignostic atheist ignostic igtheists and the such.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
DewiMorgan wrote: Would you

DewiMorgan wrote:
Would you be kind enough to describe your beliefs? Or better, your disbeliefs, the things about secular science that make you go "suuuuure, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!"

I will gladly do so. I am a pagan (of sorts). My God happens to take the form of a fruit smoothie (namely, the 3-Berry Blast from Orange Julius), so my beliefs tend to not get taken very seriously (especially with all the parody religions that have arisen, such as Pastafarianism, Church of Subgenius, the Church of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, and the like), but I assure you, I take my beliefs as seriously as anyone who worships a smoothie could be expected to.

I have my own practices and tenets if you would like to hear them, but I don't feel like going into a whole lot of detail about them at the moment.

As for what I don't believe, there's not a whole lot of science that I disagree with. I'm a bit skeptical about some branches of science, such as evolutionary psychology, and memetics, and I'm obviously not a huge fan of methodological naturalism, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Generally, when it comes to science and math, I'm prone to be apathetic.

I'm also not a big fan of rationalism. Sure, it's a useful tool, but some people *cough* take it to unnecessary extremes. I get tired of the truth. I see atheists running around, shouting their truth, and the Christians running around spouting off about their capital "t" Truth. Everyone seems to be very concerned with it. I'm not. I don't care for truth, or facts, or the absolutes that they try to bring about.

So that's about it.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: I

LosingStreak06 wrote:
I don't want you to join my religion; I'm quite sure that you would ruin it.

Lol! Excellent! Laughing
(Note to non-crazy theists: You should try reverse psychology more often - this guy left me very tempted!)

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I should hope you wouldn't

I should hope you wouldn't spurn your own beliefs just to spite mine.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Surely deep inside you

Surely deep inside you there's an evil streak too! Innocent

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome LosingStreak06.

Just because I'm late with a welcome makes it no less sincere. 

Fruit Smoothies from Orange Julius, huh?  

One thing for sure, a good sense of humor is always welcome around here.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.