Hello

tsynolds
tsynolds's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

I've been lurking for a few months, enjoying the commentary, intelligence, and sense of humor I've witnessed here. I was directed to here from the Rational Response Squad Myspace page. 

I've probably always been an Atheist.  I remember the first time I went to sunday school, I was about 4 or 5 years old and I really didn't understand what they were going on and on about.  I would say my first thought was probably comparable to "these people are full of crap!"

I was lucky enough to have a Mother and a Grandmother who always encouraged me to think for myself and to question everything from authority, religion, and governement.  Though not all of my family is that liberal and I have a grandfather who is a nuttie fundie but doesn't go to church as well as crazy cousins who use the buybull (that is such a good term for it)as an excuse for racism, sexism, and any other ism you can think of.

My Aunt actually wouldn't let me go to sunday school with her kids because I was born out of wedlock, she felt that her kids were superior to me because they were born into the sanctity of marriage.  So much for not being judgmental!

It has been really nice to know that there are other people in this world who feel the same way that I do about religion. 

Right now I live in a tiny town in the Northwest that has a church on every corner.  The enviroment to say the least can sometimes be an Atheists nightmare.  I've lived here over 3 years and have had to deal with religion pimps or Jesus pimpers (my term for people who go door to door with pamphlets) telling them that your an Atheist tends to make them come at you full force.

Down the street from me is a church that a few months ago had a sign explaining that Atheist were going to hell.  I don't remember the whole message.  I thought it was humorous but sad.  How can I go to hell if I don't believe in the concept of it.

Anyways hopefully this made some sense. 

So I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard! Cool

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums! Your

Welcome to the forums!

Your post made excellent sense. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, tsynolds!

Unfortunately we've heard horror stories like yours about the door-to-door jesus salespeople.

I liked one guy's response though.  He promised to take their literature and read it if they would take his copy of The God Who Wasn't There DVD and promise to watch the whole thing including the DVD extra interviews.  The xians accepted.

I'd love to know if the xians were honest enough to keep the promise. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.