A personal account of mistreatment and discrimination.

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
A personal account of mistreatment and discrimination.

I became a sailor in the summer of 1987. I drove to Amarillo to get processed, and the moment I filled out the forms for the issue of my dog tags, I was labeled an outcast for the next 4 years. Right on my dog tags, my religious classification was honestly punched in as 'atheist' and the problems started literally within minutes. Being sized for my uniforms, the female sailor took note of the tag. First it was 'the look'...a look of hatred, or disgust perhaps. She was clearly offended by my distaste for a good cup 'o' Jesus. I'll make a long story short, because I've not the time for describing in detail every single of the hundreds of incidents that follow. I will say that over the next four years, I was constantly discriminated against, taunted, and one time was actually beat up because I didn't believe in a god. I will also say that I wasn't alone, despite feeling that I was. In boot camp, I did not bow my head to pray when everyone else did, and I was relieved to see another uncomfortable individual, like me, and we just looked at each other and very carefully and slightly nodded in understanding.

Thank you for the time taken to read this, and don't believe the hype about "no atheists in the foxholes" because they are there fighting your war and their own every day.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
From what I read the

From what I read the military is even worse now than it was then for that sort of thing. It's pretty much run by evangelical Christians now.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's terrible man. I hope

That's terrible man. I hope you're doing better for yourself now. People are idiots. Welcome to RRS.

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
Much better.

In fact things are terrific. I'm pretty active in my community now, and helping people to become free thinkers. My 12 year old daughter just successfully started an atheist study group at her school, which has 22 active participants so far. I am documenting everything they do so later I can write a guide to help other free thinking students at other schools do the same. I feel that when we can all finally come together and stick up for ourselves, things will change for the better, and I can see it happening everywhere.

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
Much better.

*double-posted by accident*

Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am left speachless (i

I am left speachless (i think with fright) after reading about your experiences.

Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
User is offlineOffline
genepooldesign wrote: In

genepooldesign wrote:
In fact things are terrific. I'm pretty active in my community now, and helping people to become free thinkers. My 12 year old daughter just successfully started an atheist study group at her school, which has 22 active participants so far. I am documenting everything they do so later I can write a guide to help other free thinking students at other schools do the same. I feel that when we can all finally come together and stick up for ourselves, things will change for the better, and I can see it happening everywhere.

Thanks for sharing your account here and exposing the hatred.  I admire you and your daughter.  Thanks so much for helping kids. 

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Americans talk about "The

Americans talk about "The Greatest Generation" being that of those who defeated Germany in WW2.

Well, in the last place I lived I went to a Unitarian Church. And one of my friends there was a WW2 vet who served in Europe. He was an atheist before, during, and after the war. When I went to visit him on his deathbed, he was still an atheist.

A black guy who went to the same Church served in Nam. He too,was godless. He suffered a mild heart attack and went to the hospital while I lived there. The next time I saw him, guess what? He didnt bow to Jesus, Allah, Yahwey, or Osirus. He simply said, "I'm glad I made it through it".

If Christianity were required to serve in the military, then why would they let anyone but Christians in? Why would any American pick up a gun and risk death only so they can come back home to hear, "Sorry, I aint voting for you, you aint won uf usss".

I dont care if you have "Christian" or "Jew" or "Atheist" or "Muslim" on your dog tag. If you are willing to fight for freedom, not just your idea of freedom, but even those who dissagree with you, I can get along with you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
the "no atheists in

the "no atheists in foxholes" line is such a common chant among theists, as if they are so proud that only christians die in senseless wars.

thank you for sharing your story with us, and for risking your life for us even in the face of discrimination. yet another under appreciated hero.

i hope you and your daughter stay strong. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you

Thank you for appreciating us. I appreciate the fact that we can all be here to tell our stories.

We are getting stronger all the time. My daughter is the strongest I know. She can quote the bible and point out its' flaws in the same breath, and I feel that later in life, she'll play a major role in liberating people who feel ashamed, and bring people out of the atheist closet.  

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good job man. Y'know I think

Good job man. Y'know I think I may come to America someday. Sounds like you guys need help desperately. Over here I've never known any hostility towards atheism, it is hard to understand that a culture so similar to my own on so many levels is so different on many others. You have my full support. The more I look, the more I see that it is a liberation movement.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think so too. Hope you

I think so too. Hope you stay around genepooldesign. I personally think in terms of religious fanaticism the US is almost as bad as the mid-east.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll definitely be sticking

I'll definitely be sticking around, though I am usually quite busy. I'm an editor for a newspaper, a graphic designer, and a parent...so I don't get the chance to get on here as much as I'd like. I managed to get done with my work early this week and my daughter is with the grandparents...so I get a much-needed break today. What better way to spend it, huh? Sticking out tongue

magilum
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: the "no

djneibarger wrote:

the "no atheists in foxholes" line is such a common chant among theists, as if they are so proud that only christians die in senseless wars.

I don't think it means only Christians fight, only that the fear and stress of war will force anyone to cry out for any kind of help, even beyond what they would entertain rationally. From that perspective, accepting Jesus and shitting oneself are synonymous.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
genepooldesign wrote: and

genepooldesign wrote:
and one time was actually beat up because I didn't believe in a god. 

Doesn't that good ol' loving xian attitude just boggle your mind? 

I'll bet their jesus would have been proud. 

I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but am glad you're here now.

It sounds like your daughter is amazing and already a force to be reckoned with!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
That girl will do great

That girl will do great things someday. Im pretty damn proud of her.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's good. By the way was

That's good. By the way was there any disciplinary action for whoever assaulted you?

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah - but it was a slap on

Yeah - but it was a slap on the wrist. Nothing comparable to what an assault usually would get.