WTF? FW Star-Telegram: Bible Delivery Will Be Optional

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
WTF? FW Star-Telegram: Bible Delivery Will Be Optional

Living in the bible belt, I don't know why this surprised me, but I still couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I found the following on the front page of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
"TO OUR READERS:Bible Delivery will be optional
As many of you may know, a Christian group called the Internatioanl Bible Society has contracted with the Star-Telegram to deliver a copy of the New testament with an edition of the paper to all subscribers in December.  Because some readers have let us know they do not want it, the Star-Telegram will provide the opportunity to opt out

(paragraph about the International Bible Society and how they are doing this sh*t with newspapers around the country)

Subscribers will be able to request delivery of the paper without the Bible.  We'll publicize a special e-mail address and phone number to call in December when the delivery date is confirmed."

So, I have to make the effort to NOT receive a f'n book of fairy-tales with my Sunday paper? This pissed me off exponentially.  Am I overreacting?

Note: For those of you not familiar with the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Fort Worth is not some small hick town in the middle of nowhere...it's a large hick city of almost a million people about 35 miles west of Dallas.

-HCG

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You can always receycle it

You can always receycle it or use it for scrap paper, etc.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems like a perfect

Seems like a perfect opportunity to me.  Now all you need is somebody to put up the money to include paperback versions of "Letter to a Christian Nation" with the same paper.  When they refuse to do it, sue the fuck out of them, win more money, and then ask another paper to do it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

genepooldesign
genepooldesign's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd have to say that is

I'd have to say that is highly inappropriate for a news organisation. I am a newspaper editor myself, and we throw out anything like that. We prefer to report the news...simple as that. Their actions show a serious lack of integrity.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get as many friends as you

Get as many friends as you can to join up, and when you all get your bible get your video camera and go have a bom-fire and send them the video.

You'll have a kick out of know you made them waste a lot of money. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I guess if the

Well, I guess if the theists are PAYING BIG BUCKS to have the newspaper deliver it, it's kinda the same thing as all the advertisements.  (Have you gotten a Sunday paper lately?  I cannot believe all the ads!)

However, if the newspaper is doing it for free or for a very reduced cost, they should be just as willing to include Freethinker information with their deliveries for the same price.

Of course, if someone sued, I doubt if you'd have a legal leg to stand on since a newspaper is not a government agency. 

I don't suppose Fort Worth has a large population of non-xian theists that would find this offensive? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The BuyBull also makes good

The BuyBull also makes good kindling.

HC Grindon
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I don't

Susan wrote:

I don't suppose Fort Worth has a large population of non-xian theists that would find this offensive? 

Don't know for sure, I'm hoping others besdes me send the Star-Telegram a nasty-gram. I don't know enough atheists to raise any kind of stink about it either (all of my friends are nominal christians or on-the-fence agnostics that would say I'm making a big deal out of nothing)
Argh.
-HCG

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the Oregonian (the major

If the Oregonian (the major paper here in Portland, OR) sent me a notice saying that I would let them know I'm canceling my subscription because of it.  There is no way I would spend my money on a newspaper that would sink that low.

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
HC Grindon wrote: Susan

HC Grindon wrote:
Susan wrote:

Don't know for sure, I'm hoping others besdes me send the Star-Telegram a nasty-gram. I don't know enough atheists to raise any kind of stink about it either (all of my friends are nominal christians or on-the-fence agnostics that would say I'm making a big deal out of nothing)
Argh.
-HCG

I live in the DFW area too and but I don't get this newspaper. I'll try sending them something but I'm not entirely sure how much they'll care since I'm not a subscriber.

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Of course, if

Quote:
Of course, if someone sued, I doubt if you'd have a legal leg to stand on since a newspaper is not a government agency.

I was thinking more of a discrimination suit.

Granted, I know nothing about Texas' laws, but I'd imagine there's a statute somewhere prohibiting companies from refusing service to groups or individuals based on the biases of company employees.

Media have gotten out of this kind of suit before by citing "public taste" etc, but considering how many copies Harris has sold, I don't think they would have a legal leg to stand on if they said it was an offensive book!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HC Grindon
User is offlineOffline
I don't know this bible

I don't know if this bible thing is because the publisher is a christian(I really don't know), or this is some kind of pander-to-the-christian-subscriber-base stunt. If it is the latter, I gotta wonder, "Don't you think they already HAVE plenty of bibles?"

I'm considering cancelling my subscription, but I have to be kind of careful, since my wife is one of those nominal christians I mentioned earlier.  Fortunately, she's been saying she isn't very happy with the Star-Telegram of late (they've reformatted their layout in an incredible move to dumb-down the paper), so I probably won't get too much of a fuss.

Of course, I need to see if my only alternative, The Dallas Morning News, is pulling the same sh*t with the bible distribution.  I somehow doubt it, since Dallas is a helluva lot more progressive than Ft. Worth.

-HCG

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd still want to know if

I'd still want to know if the bible-thumpers are paying the same rate as advertisers do to have the newspaper deliver advertising.

If that's the case, it would seem that it's a monetary issue for the paper.

If not, I'd cancel my subscription and let them know why.

Anybody else from Ft. Worth here on the forums????   

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

DS
DS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Make the best use you can

Make the best use you can out of it, being during the colder moneths you may use it for fire wood. If in need of paper for a pet to wet on, or destroy very useful. If you really feel pressed by this create a atheist pamphlet to come out with the star telegram the same time the bible does.

HC Grindon
User is offlineOffline
I mentioned this to my

I mentioned this Star-Telegram/Bible issue to my non-religious co-workers yesterday at lunch, and as expected, their response was something to the tune of "So what? Just throw it away."

Perhaps I'm making too big of a deal out of this...after all, I do live in Texas.

*sigh*

-HCG

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm surprised the Daily Mail

I'm surprised the Daily Mail (fascist tabloid that somehow happens to remain fairly mainstream) hasn't opted to give out copies of Mein Kampf yet! Only a matter of time I'd say!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to say, when I read

I have to say, when I read things like this I end up thinking 'damn, am I glad I live on the East coast' I don't think that would ever fly here.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, no, no. You are looking

No, no, no. You are looking at this in the wrong way! Accept the Bible. I collect them. I figure for every Bible in my basement mildewing, there is some person out there not reading it. Heavens, I might even ask my neighbors for their copy as well. All of this has opportunity cost written on it. Take the opportunity to cost them something.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
HC Grindon wrote: Living in

HC Grindon wrote:
Living in the bible belt, I don't know why this surprised me, but I still couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I found the following on the front page of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
"TO OUR READERS:Bible Delivery will be optional
As many of you may know, a Christian group called the Internatioanl Bible Society has contracted with the Star-Telegram to deliver a copy of the New testament with an edition of the paper to all subscribers in December. Because some readers have let us know they do not want it, the Star-Telegram will provide the opportunity to opt out

(paragraph about the International Bible Society and how they are doing this sh*t with newspapers around the country)

Subscribers will be able to request delivery of the paper without the Bible. We'll publicize a special e-mail address and phone number to call in December when the delivery date is confirmed."

So, I have to make the effort to NOT receive a f'n book of fairy-tales with my Sunday paper? This pissed me off exponentially. Am I overreacting?

Note: For those of you not familiar with the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Fort Worth is not some small hick town in the middle of nowhere...it's a large hick city of almost a million people about 35 miles west of Dallas.

-HCG

From a Constitutional standpoint this paper has that right because it is not state run or state funded. However, any idiot with a journalism degree SHOULD understand why this is an unethical and bad idea. This is a wink and nod to Christians that they care more about them, than objective reporting. It is scary to me that media panders like this.

If the Star is going to do this, fine, it is within the constitution. But they damn sure wont get me to buy any claims of objectivity while doing so. Are they also willing to send copies of the Quran or Tamud to those readers? Are they willing to send me a copy of "The |God delusion"?

They dont have to by law, do that. But I also dont have to believe any crapy claim about being "journalists" if a newspaper makes it its mission to pass out bibles. They are not anthing more than extentions of Christianity and have become mere Cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders cheer and dont have the stripes for honesty but pander to favortism. Reporting is a joke when it requires the entity to bribe people into reading it by sucking up. 

Capitalism is one thing, but the watchdogs are no longer watching everyone, but proteting their favorite club. This is the same type of propaganda PR crap Al Jazeera pulls. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog