Jerry Falwell found unconscious. {Edit - Has Died}

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
Posts: 71
Joined: 2006-05-25
User is offlineOffline
Jerry Falwell found unconscious. {Edit - Has Died}

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070515/ap_on_re_us/jerry_falwell

 

Falwell found unconscious, hospitalized

13 minutes ago

LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Rev. Jerry Falwell was found unconscious in his office Tuesday and taken to the hospital, a Liberty University executive told a newspaper.

Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of the school, told The News & Advance of Lynchburg that Falwell was found unconscious after missing an appointment Tuesday morning. Falwell arrived at Lynchburg General Hospital around noon, the newspaper reported on its Web site.

When contacted by The Associated Press, Godwin said he couldn't talk at that time.

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster


Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
Posts: 239
Joined: 2006-12-04
User is offlineOffline
While i'm usually not this

While i'm usually not this crass, I found this irresistably hilarious [from wonkette.com]:

 

... let the rubuking begin ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com


Nascent_atheist
Nascent_atheist's picture
Posts: 5
Joined: 2006-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Twain was right

todangst wrote:

Nascent_atheist wrote:
The Westboro Baptist Church, of [godhatesfags.com] "fame," will be picketing Falwell's funeral...

I have to confess that for once, the only appropriate response seems to be: "Jesus Christ"

There's a true Scotsman out there somewhere.

Your job? Find him!

It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen - Oliver Wendell Holmes


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13593
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I think HB said it best

I think HB said it best about WBC, "Phelps makes Falwell seem like a flaming liberal".

Me personally when I die, I wouldnt care one ratts ass what someone says about me, I wont have a brain to care with.

And from Dale Ernhart, to Madloyne O'Hair, people are going to say mean things if they dont like you, even when you die. Everyone does it.

But there is a time and place for that. His followerw shouldnt bitch about our criticism or blasphemy about Falwell at this point. I am quite sure when Dawkins dies they will  do the same. But I certainly would not go to his funeral and tell anyone there that their deity is a joke.

BUT, if I have a friend who is a believer, at their funeral or wedding, I keep my mouth shut. How I express myself outside that event is fair game. But if I accept an invitation to that type of deeply personal event, I keep my mouth shut.

I may think their beliefs are rediculous, but there are places where you express that and places you dont.

WBC is intitled by our First Amendment and be a prick as long as he has the protest permits, is not breaking impeding laws or noise laws or advocating violence. Falwells followers can be offended all they want. If they are not disrupting the services or tresspassing, merely offending the mourners is not a crime anymore than us atheists calling him a fat fuck is here.

If a fundy like Phelps wants to stand outside my funeral and call me names and act like an ignorant prick, I dont want anyone to stop him.

If, however I invite a Christian friend to my wedding, or a funeral, and they are actually partisipating in it by invitation, then I'd expect them to obstain from bugging people about their opinions. I wouldnt care if  they do that outside the door or on a website somewhere else.

My point is Falwell may be a prick himself, and certainly Phelps is an even bigger prick, but if we value our right to call them pricks, then in turn, when they say ignorant bigoted things themselves, then we should value their rights as well.

Again, if Phelps was actually impeeding on private property or physically trying to stop people from partisipating in his funeral, then that is a crime covered by common law. But Phelps calling Falwell a liberal and fake Christian within view, but not on Falwell's property is not illegal.

On is an issue of ediquiy when you are invited to someones house. The other issue is valuing the free market of ideas. Offensive things will not always be seen as offensive to everyone.

If I was a friend of Falwell, and someone invited me inside the process, I would keep my mouth shut. But if I want to post something here, or stand on the sidewalk and say things about him that others might find offensive, no one should stop me.

As sick as Phelps is, if he is not breaking any laws, for the benifit of the Constitution, NOT HIM, he should not be prevented from doing such. By protecting him, even though we dont like him, we in turn keep the free market of ideas open which allows us to compete as well.

You put the free market of ideas into the hand of a beurocrate or politician you fail to realize that that person in power might not agree with you. If they dont like you, and they have the power to censor you, you'd shoot yourself in the foot.

Falwell is a nut too, but I'd rather he or Phelps say things out in the open where I can use my own voice. If I demand their silence by goverment force in the future the goverment will silence me.

I am all for contextuall ediquit, but I will never be for goverment censorship, even when people try to make me out to be a monster. Let them, I can use my own voice to show them how full of shit they are.

Phelps is a sicko, but he should not be stopped from doing this unless he breaks common law. Being offended is not a good reason to have someone arrested. 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Westboro Baptist Church to protest Jerry Falwell's funeral

WBC will preach at the memorial service of the corpulent false prophet Jerry Falwell, who spent his entire life prophesying lies and false doctrines like "God loves everyone".

There is little doubt that Falwell split Hell wide open the instant he died. The evidence is compelling, overwhelming, and irrefragable. To wit:

1. Falwell was a true Calvinistic Baptist when he was a young preacher in Springfield, Missouri, and sold his soul to Free-Willism (Arminianism) for lucre.

2. Falwell bitterly and viciously attacked WBC because of WBC's faithful Bible preaching -- thereby committing the unpardonable sin -- otherwise known as the sin against the Holy Ghost.

3. Falwell warmly praised Christ-rejecting Jews, pedophile-condoning Catholics, money-grubbing compromisers, practicing fags like Mel White, and backsliders like Billy Graham and Robert Schuler, etc. All for lucre -- making him guilty of their sins."

http://www.godhatesamerica.com/

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
Posts: 121
Joined: 2007-04-18
User is offlineOffline
todangst

todangst wrote:

Nascent_atheist wrote:
The Westboro Baptist Church, of godhatesfacts.com "fame," will be picketing Falwell's funeral...

 

I have to confess that for once, the only appropriate response seems to be: "Jesus Christ"

 



Quoted for Truth. Is this not completely ironic? Wow.

YOU shut the fuck up! WE'LL save America!


Wolly
Wolly's picture
Posts: 10
Joined: 2006-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Christopher Hitchens on

Christopher Hitchens on him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopbFf_Z3Mg


Nascent_atheist
Nascent_atheist's picture
Posts: 5
Joined: 2006-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Falwell's real impact

A little perspective from a Newsweek regular contributor.


MyDogCole
MyDogCole's picture
Posts: 40
Joined: 2007-05-03
User is offlineOffline
Hitchens was on Anderson

<deleted>


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
Wolly wrote: Christopher

Wolly wrote:

Christopher Hitchens on him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopbFf_Z3Mg

thank you, christopher hitchens. thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, for you using your media status and your king sized balls to say on national television what i so badly wished i could. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
Posts: 397
Joined: 2007-03-06
User is offlineOffline
I will be reading his book

I will be reading his book in the next few days (will finally have some time to do it).  I had not really heard much of Hitchens before his book came out, and the more I watch him the more he kicks ass.  He hits the nail right on the head and he does it such a way that Im not sure there could be any other way to say it clearer. 

 


Strafio
Strafio's picture
Posts: 1346
Joined: 2006-09-11
User is offlineOffline
One thing I like about those

One thing I like about those crazy Westborough's is that they are to other fundies as fundies are to us. A kind of 'taste of your own medicine' sort of thing. Although I don't think they should be allowed at funerals. It's not a matter of free speech - they have the right to get their message across, but choosing a funeral as a place to do it... it's not about getting the message across it's heckling a grieving family and that shouldn't be allowed.

It's not that we're trying to silence their message, we're trying to stop them harassing people. They should be disallowed from picketing funerals the same way we wouldn't be allowed to organise an orgy outside their house...


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13593
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:

Strafio wrote:
One thing I like about those crazy Westborough's is that they are to other fundies as fundies are to us. A kind of 'taste of your own medicine' sort of thing. Although I don't think they should be allowed at funerals. It's not a matter of free speech - they have the right to get their message across, but choosing a funeral as a place to do it... it's not about getting the message across it's heckling a grieving family and that shouldn't be allowed.

It's not that we're trying to silence their message, we're trying to stop them harassing people. They should be disallowed from picketing funerals the same way we wouldn't be allowed to organise an orgy outside their house...

You think the all the comments in this thread are painting Jerry Falwell as well liked by the people here?

Come on, I do understand the inscensitivity of WBC doing that and is disqusting. But as I said in a prior post. If WBC is not violating any noise laws, or impeding laws, not trespassing on private property, the should have the right.

I'll tell everyone right now, if some group in the future wants to protest my death, LET THEM! Part of the safty of freedom, built into the Constitution, is the protection of dissentors.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Strafio
Strafio's picture
Posts: 1346
Joined: 2006-09-11
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: You think

Brian37 wrote:
You think the all the comments in this thread are painting Jerry Falwell as well liked by the people here?

What's that got to do with anything?
1) Even if the guy was a prick, that doesn't justify funeral sabotage.
2) They picket other funerals as well and it's just wrong in principle. It doesn't matter who's in the casket.

Quote:
Come on, I do understand the inscensitivity of WBC doing that and is disqusting. But as I said in a prior post. If WBC is not violating any noise laws, or impeding laws, not trespassing on private property, the should have the right.

Really? I mean, we could hire some porn stars and organise an orgy outside of their house/church and it wouldn't break those laws. There are laws against obscenity and I think that heckling someone's funeral like that is a form of obscenity.

Quote:
I'll tell everyone right now, if some group in the future wants to protest my death, LET THEM! Part of the safty of freedom, built into the Constitution, is the protection of dissentors.

Once again, this isn't about freedom of speech.
They're free to dissent as much as they like.
When it comes to heckling funerals, it's not matter of freedom of speech because it's not the dissent that's the problem. It's the fact that they're harrasing mourners.

It's not suppressing their message or anything.


Niedowiarek
Posts: 12
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IDfKKWBEZk 

^More from Hitchens, this time on Faux news. I must admit that I really like his uncompromising attitude, even though it will inevitably be twisted into showing how "reckless" and "inconsiderate" atheists can be. 

Should we suddenly put on a mask of hypocrisy and silence just because Falwell is dead? A dead bastard is still a bastard and his actions should be open for judgement.

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.


Wolly
Wolly's picture
Posts: 10
Joined: 2006-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Faith-Based FraudJerry

Faith-Based FraudJerry Falwell's foul rantings prove you can get away with anything if you have "Reverend" in front of your name.


Jerry Falwell. Click image to expand.The Rev. Jerry Falwell
The discovery of the carcass of Jerry Falwell on the floor of an obscure office in Virginia has almost zero significance, except perhaps for two categories of the species labeled "credulous idiot." The first such category consists of those who expected Falwell (and themselves) to be bodily raptured out of the biosphere and assumed into the heavens, leaving pilotless planes and driverless trucks and taxis to crash with their innocent victims as collateral damage. This group is so stupid and uncultured that it may perhaps be forgiven. It is so far "left behind" that almost its only pleasure is to gloat at the idea of others being abandoned in the same condition.

The second such category is of slightly more importance, because it consists of the editors, producers, publicists, and a host of other media riffraff who allowed Falwell to prove, almost every week, that there is no vileness that cannot be freely uttered by a man whose name is prefaced with the word Reverend. Try this: Call a TV station and tell them that you know the Antichrist is already on earth and is an adult Jewish male. See how far you get. Then try the same thing and add that you are the Rev. Jim-Bob Vermin. "Why, Reverend, come right on the show!" What a fool Don Imus was. If he had paid the paltry few bucks to make himself a certified clergyman, he could be jeering and sneering to the present hour.

Falwell went much further than his mad 1999 assertion about the Jewish Antichrist. In the time immediately following the assault by religious fascism on American civil society in September 2001, he used his regular indulgence on the airwaves to commit treason. Entirely exculpating the suicide-murderers, he asserted that their acts were a divine punishment of the United States. Again, I ask you to imagine how such a person would be treated if he were not supposedly a man of faith.




One of his associates, Bailey Smith, once opined that "God does not hear the prayers of a Jew." This is one of the few anti-Semitic remarks ever made that has a basis in fact, since God does not exist and does not attend to any prayers, but Smith was not quite making that point. Along with his friend Pat Robertson, who believes in secret Jewish control of the world of finance, and Billy Graham, who boasted to Richard Nixon that the Jews had never guessed what he truly thought of them, Falwell kept alive the dirty innuendo about Jews that so many believing Christians seem to need. This would be bad enough in itself, and an additional reason to deplore the free ride he was given on television, if his trade-off had not been even worse.

Seeking to deflect the charge of anti-Jewish prejudice, Falwell adopted the cause of the most thuggish and demented Israeli settlers, proclaiming that their occupation of the West Bank and Gaza was a holy matter and hoping that they might help to bring on Armageddon and the return of the Messiah. A detail in this ghastly narrative, as adepts of the "Left Behind" series will know, is that the return of the risen Christ will require the mass slaughter or mass conversion of all Jews. This consideration did not prevent Menachem Begin from awarding Falwell the Jabotinsky Centennial Medal in 1980 and has not inhibited other Israeli extremists from embracing him and his co-thinkers ever since. All bigots and frauds are brothers under the skin. Trying to interrupt the fiesta of piety on national television on the night of Falwell's death, I found myself waiting while Ralph Reed went all moist about the role of the departed in empowering "people of faith." Here was the hypocritical casino-based Christian who sought and received the kosher stamp from Jack Abramoff. Perfect.

Like many fanatical preachers, Falwell was especially disgusting in exuding an almost sexless personality while railing from dawn to dusk about the sex lives of others. His obsession with homosexuality was on a par with his lip-smacking evocations of hellfire. From his wobbly base of opportunist fund raising and degree-mill money-spinning in Lynchburg, Va., he set out to puddle his sausage-sized fingers into the intimate arrangements of people who had done no harm. Men of this type, if they cannot persuade enough foolish people to part with their savings, usually end up raving on the street and waving placards about the coming day of judgment. But Falwell, improving on the other Chaucerian frauds from Oral Roberts to Jim Bakker to Ted Haggard, not only had a TV show of his own but was also regularly invited onto mainstream ones.

The evil that he did will live after him. This is not just because of the wickedness that he actually preached, but because of the hole that he made in the "wall of separation" that ought to divide religion from politics. In his dingy racist past, Falwell attacked those churchmen who mixed the two worlds of faith and politics and called for civil rights. Then he realized that two could play at this game and learned to play it himself. Then he won the Republican Party over to the idea of religious voters and faith-based fund raising. And now, by example at least, he has inspired emulation in many Democrats and liberals who would like to borrow the formula. His place on the cable shows will be amply filled by Al Sharpton: another person who can get away with anything under the rubric of Reverend. It's a shame that there is no hell for Falwell to go to, and it's extraordinary that not even such a scandalous career is enough to shake our dumb addiction to the "faith-based."

 

Source: http://www.slate.com/id/2166337/

If you gave Falwell an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox.
- Christopher Hitchens


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13593
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: 1) Even if

Strafio wrote:

1) Even if the guy was a prick, that doesn't justify funeral sabotage.
2) They picket other funerals as well and it's just wrong in principle. It doesn't matter who's in the casket.



1.Where did I say it was ok to "sabatoge" anyone's funeral?

2.Wrong from an empathy standpoint, yes. Wrong from a legal standpoint, depends what he is doing and if he violates laws. Being offended is NOT against the law.

Now let me repeat myself. Just because you think it is sick that he does that, and I agree that it is, doesnt make it illegal.

The reason we cant make laws like that is because what I might find offensive may not be what others find offensive.

Again, here is what he cannot do.

Violate noise regulations.

Impede the motion of vehicals or pedestrians.

Tresspass on private property.

Advocate violence.

..........................................

If he is not doing anything like that, weither you or I like it or not he has that right. We start legislating morality like that you seem to forget that WE ARE ATHEISTS in a MAJORITY christian country.

I am not going to give my goverment that kind of power of censorship even if it comes at the cost of putting up with pricks like him. For me to value my rights I have to value the assholes rights too.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13593
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: Brian37

Strafio wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
You think the all the comments in this thread are painting Jerry Falwell as well liked by the people here?

What's that got to do with anything?
1) Even if the guy was a prick, that doesn't justify funeral sabotage.
2) They picket other funerals as well and it's just wrong in principle. It doesn't matter who's in the casket.

Quote:
Come on, I do understand the inscensitivity of WBC doing that and is disqusting. But as I said in a prior post. If WBC is not violating any noise laws, or impeding laws, not trespassing on private property, the should have the right.

Really? I mean, we could hire some porn stars and organise an orgy outside of their house/church and it wouldn't break those laws. There are laws against obscenity and I think that heckling someone's funeral like that is a form of obscenity.

Quote:
I'll tell everyone right now, if some group in the future wants to protest my death, LET THEM! Part of the safty of freedom, built into the Constitution, is the protection of dissentors.

Once again, this isn't about freedom of speech.
They're free to dissent as much as they like.
When it comes to heckling funerals, it's not matter of freedom of speech because it's not the dissent that's the problem. It's the fact that they're harrasing mourners.

It's not suppressing their message or anything.

Boy am I glad you are not a Lawyer. You'd ban anything you didnt like at the drop of a hat.

Again, you assume he has broken the law every single time he protests a funeral. You know nothing about his position physically in relation to the funeral, you know nothing about his noise level. You just assume he is breaking the law.

Saying offensive things is NOT harrasment. Harrassment regards individuals and repeated behaivor to a person or business or home over and over at the same location to the same exact individual.

Please never become a lawyer, I like the Constitution exactly the way it is. 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
Posts: 256
Joined: 2006-04-13
User is offlineOffline
On the WBC, let me just

On the WBC, let me just say, that every time I look at it, freedom for me can be summed up like this:

Freedom is the right to be an asshole

 

Say assholeish things and do assholeish things without regard for the feelings or opinions of others, and they cannot squelch your ability to do that just because they feel uncomfortable or disagree. I know there is a bit more to things than that, but I don’t think it really applies to WBC and their public actions.

 

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13593
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
HealingBlight wrote: On

HealingBlight wrote:

On the WBC, let me just say, that every time I look at it, freedom for me can be summed up like this:

Freedom is the right to be an asshole

 

Say assholeish things and do assholeish things without regard for the feelings or opinions of others, and they cannot squelch your ability to do that just because they feel uncomfortable or disagree. I know there is a bit more to things than that, but I don’t think it really applies to WBC and their public actions.

 

Many here want to create laws that ALREADY EXIST!

Not likeing him or his assholish behaivor does not constitute banning his behaivor.

If he actually does break the law in these situations I am quite sure that law inforcement WILL take action. Untill then, we do not have the right to deny him his free speech simply because he is being an asshole. 

Pollitically correct laws are nothing but appeals to emotion. Common law puts the responsibility on the individual and DOES NOT act pre-emptively. To make laws like that is to get into the teritory of laws that assume guilt even before arrest.

Again, no one here is asking anyone here to like him. But the bottem line is that he has the right, as disqusting as he is, to do what he is doing AS LONG AS HE IS NOT BREAKING THE LAW! 

When he breaks the law, he should be arrested. But he should not be arrested merely because he is an insensitive prick. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Strafio
Strafio's picture
Posts: 1346
Joined: 2006-09-11
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: 2.Wrong from

Brian37 wrote:
2.Wrong from an empathy standpoint, yes. Wrong from a legal standpoint, depends what he is doing and if he violates laws. Being offended is NOT against the law.

Now let me repeat myself. Just because you think it is sick that he does that, and I agree that it is, doesnt make it illegal.

The reason we cant make laws like that is because what I might find offensive may not be what others find offensive.


This isn't a matter of "I think it's art, he thinks it's obscene."
This is a matter of people going to funerals and heckling mourners.
I'm not suggesting censorship of any kind - I've made it clear that this isn't about suppressing their views. It's just disallowing them from heckling people on the day of a funeral, which they are clearly aiming to do.

Quote:
If he is not doing anything like that, weither you or I like it or not he has that right. We start legislating morality like that you seem to forget that WE ARE ATHEISTS in a MAJORITY christian country.

I am not going to give my goverment that kind of power of censorship even if it comes at the cost of putting up with pricks like him. For me to value my rights I have to value the assholes rights too.


Again, what they are saying is irrelevent.
The fact is, they are intentionally harrassing mourners at a funeral.
This isn't about suppressing the views or censoring, it's about leaving the mourners alone. The fact that they're nutsy fundies is irrelevent. If the RRS was to go mental someday and were to start picketing Christian funerals with sign and chants saying "There is no heaven, your son is wormford!" then I'd be just as much against that.

Not that people shouldn't have the right to express such views, just not to intentionally upset a funeral.

Quote:
Again, you assume he has broken the law every single time he protests a funeral. You know nothing about his position physically in relation to the funeral, you know nothing about his noise level. You just assume he is breaking the law.

I'm not talking about law as it is, I'm talking about how it ought to be. Protecting funerals from picketing shouldn't violate 1st Ammendment.

Quote:
Please never become a lawyer, I like the Constitution exactly the way it is.

Don't worry about it. I don't even live in your country.
(although stopping the picketing shouldn't violate the constitution)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10599
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Interesting. I frankly am

Interesting. I frankly am not the slightest bit upset by this. And yet it's not something to really be happy about either. Someone will step up and replace him. The world moves on.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10599
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Nascent_atheist wrote: The

Nascent_atheist wrote:
The Westboro Baptist Church, of godhatesfacts.com "fame," will be picketing Falwell's funeral...

By the gaming gods. They just might have picked the group that finally flips out and slaughters them for their insidious stupidity. Now THAT would be a death I would smile about. Falwell can and will be replaced within a year. Phelps is an entirely different character.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
Nascent_atheist wrote:
The Westboro Baptist Church, of godhatesfacts.com "fame," will be picketing Falwell's funeral...
By the gaming gods. They just might have picked the group that finally flips out and slaughters them for their insidious stupidity. Now THAT would be a death I would smile about. Falwell can and will be replaced within a year. Phelps is an entirely different character.

You may have something there.  Phelps's death is something I actually might be able to celebrate.   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
Posts: 128
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Niedowiarek, thanks for

Niedowiarek, thanks for posting that link.  I enjoyed it very much. 

I don't feel sorry for Jerry's family either. Why should I? They are a successful money making business that preys off the misfortunes of others.

However, I noticed that Faux news guy went straight to using the exact same stategies theists use, so at least it's a good demonsteration of that.

Niedowiarek wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IDfKKWBEZk

^More from Hitchens, this time on Faux news. I must admit that I really like his uncompromising attitude, even though it will inevitably be twisted into showing how "reckless" and "inconsiderate" atheists can be.

Strategies theists resort to:

The (False) Invitation

I cant' believe how bastardly faux news gets. Sneaky, sneaky, inviting Hichens to share his opinion like that and then not letting him!

Or isn't it sneaky that Kirk and Ray used the bible in the abc debate even after they insisted they wouldn't when inviting Rational Responders? They lied to get some air time on national television. Sneaky.

The Denial and Continued Asking of Same Question

Wow, then Bastardly went straight to accussing Hichens of not answering his questions after Hichens repeated it several times and pointed out that he did so.

The Changing Subject

The debate was about Jerry, wasn't it? When did it change to atheism, communist, atheists, Pol Pot, Mao or Stalin?

The Diverted Accussation

Oh, the accusation of atheism and communism (implying some false connection between the two) killing millions with the same exact (!) examples other theists use. Pol Pot, Mao, etc...

The Avoiding Responsibilty

Notice how Hannity continually insists that Jerry aready apologised for his damaging comments, absolving any wrong-doing Jerry may have done/caused, even though those comments were treasonous and insentive?

The Repeated Sound Bite (aka Lie)

Hannity keeps yelling the same words over and over again drowning out the words of his opponent.

" I know what he did for (x)"

"I know what he did for (y)"

"I know what he did for (z)"

He does this to ensure his words are remembered in the debate and taken as the truth. (I think this is refered to as "truthiness&quotEye-wink

The Ignore

At the end, Faux news guy asked Reed (?) a very serious and important question. Reed ignores it and goes straight to a practised response.

 

Please feel free to correct me or add your own oberservations.

I'm not going to lie. I am glad he has died. Not joyous or anything. Just really relieved that he's gone. However he has left his genes behind. I feel upset and sorry about that. And, like Hitchens, sorry there isn't a hell for him to be sent to. Where is hell when you need it?

 

 

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!


Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
Posts: 128
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Play (9821)   Download

">Play (9821)

 

Download (4485)

 

Bill Mahr on Jerry's death. Sorry, I just can't let Fallwell get away with his evil down into history.

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!


Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
Posts: 128
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Because I cannot let it be

Because I cannot let it be forgotten what this guy represented I must post this.

 

The Falwell bombers: Liberty University student caught carrying explosives By: John Amato on Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 at 7:31 PM - PDT

falwellbomber.jpg This is whacked:

A small group of protesters gathered near the funeral services to criticize the man who mobilized Christian evangelicals and made them a major force in American politics — often by playing on social prejudices. And Campbell County authorities arrested a Liberty University student for having several homemade bombs in his car.

The student, 19-year-old Mark D. Uhl of Amissville, Va., reportedly told authorities that he was making the bombs to stop protesters from disrupting the funeral service. The devices were made of a combination of gasoline and detergent, a law enforcement official told ABC News' Pierre Thomas. They were "slow burn," according to the official, and would not have been very destructive.

"There were indications that there were others involved in the manufacturing of these devices and we are still investigating these individuals with the assistance of ATF [Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms], Virginia State Police and FBI.

Usually law enforcement just hauls off protesters or clubs them senseless, but now Liberty University has a new system of dealing with it. Blow em all to hell! When the authorities say the bombs were not very destructive—what does that mean? A cherry bomb can take off your hand. Will they just blow off a few limbs? Is bomb making part of the new curriculum at Regent and Liberty Universities? And many of these students have been hired by the hundreds to run our government by the Bushies.

 

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
Nascent_atheist wrote:
The Westboro Baptist Church, of godhatesfacts.com "fame," will be picketing Falwell's funeral...
By the gaming gods. They just might have picked the group that finally flips out and slaughters them for their insidious stupidity. Now THAT would be a death I would smile about. Falwell can and will be replaced within a year. Phelps is an entirely different character.

Vastet, you should go into palm reading.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
Posts: 126
Joined: 2007-05-20
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I feel

Personally, I feel satisfaction when I outlive people with whom I disagree. This month, Jerry Falwell and Jack Valenti - a good month.

When he died we happened to have some guests here, Christians from Lynchburg where he lived. Was careful to keep a neutral stance, wasn't sure whether they liked him.

Here are some interesting quotes by him, though, from wikiquote.

* The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country.

* I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!

* I do question the sincerity and non-violent intentions of some civil rights leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Mr. James Farmer, and others, who are known to have left wing associations.

* If the American Atheists Society or Saddam Hussein himself ever sent an unrestricted gift to any of my ministries, be assured I will operate on Billy Sunday's philosophy: The Devil's had it long enough, and quickly cash the check.

* God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve.

* The ACLU's got to take a lot of blame for this. [9/11]

* And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way — all of them who have tried to secularize America — I point the finger in their face and say "you helped this happen." [to Pat Robertson after 9/11

* His message of peace and reconciliation under almost all circumstances is simply incompatible with Christian teachings as I interpret them. This 'turn the other cheek' business is all well and good but it's not what Jesus fought and died for. What we need to do is take the battle to the Muslim heathens and do unto them before they do unto us.

* I think Muhammad was a terrorist. I read enough by both Muslims and non-Muslims, [to decide] that he was a violent man, a man of war.

* This is probably as bad a day as the court has had on social issues since Roe v. Wade. [Re: Supreme Court's ruling on Texas regarding sodomy laws]

* You've got to kill the terrorists before the killing stops and I am for the President — chase them all over the world, if it takes ten years, blow them all away in the name of the Lord.

* And the fact that John Kerry would not support a federal marriage amendment [prohibiting gay marriage], it equates in our minds as someone 150 years ago saying I'm personally opposed to slavery, but if my neighbor wants to own one or two that's OK. We don't buy that.

* The fact that Marc Cherry's a gay Republican means he should join the Democratic Party.

* You know, you almost got to be a homosexual to be recognized in the entertainment industry anymore. Ellen [Degeneres], and all the rest. I love them, pray for their souls, but they're immoral. And the Hollywood scene — five and eight and 10 marriages — not something to be emulated.

* Thank God for these gay demonstrators. If I didn't have them, I'd have to invent them. They give me all the publicity I need.

* Since Jesus came to the earth the first time 2,000 years ago as a Jewish male, many evangelicals believe the Antichrist will, by necessity, be a Jewish male. This belief is 2,000 years old and has no anti-Semitic roots. This is simply historic and prophetic orthodox Christian doctrine that many theologians, Christian and non-Christian, have understood for two millennia.

* Labor unions should study and read the Bible instead of asking for more money. When people get right with God, they are better workers.

* I do not believe the homosexual community deserves minority status. One's misbehavior does not qualify him or her for minority status. Blacks, Hispanics, women, etc., are God-ordained minorities who do indeed deserve minority status.

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }