How Athiest is your city?

csneibarger
csneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
How Athiest is your city?

I was doing some surfing on the net and came across something that actually shocked me (in a very good way).  My husband and I are from Lawrence, Kansas. Alot of people think that Kansas is a backwards state, but take a look at some survey results I found about our town...

• Only 29.1 percent of the Lawrence area's population was claimed by the religious groups.
  • That made Douglas County the least religious in Kansas, according to the study. But three other counties also reported less than 35 percent of their population involved in religious participation: Riley County, home to Kansas State University; and Geary and Leavenworth counties, both homes to military bases.
  • The Lawrence metropolitan area ranked near the bottom -- 266th out of 276 metropolitan areas -- of the entire nation, in terms of religious participation.
  • While Kansas averaged 15 congregations per 1,000 people, Lawrence is home to only eight congregations per 1,000 people.

How athiest is your town in comparison?

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that 1% of my city

I think that 1% of my city (Houston, TX) is atheist. Frown

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in Hong Kong.

I live in Hong Kong. Overwhelmingly atheist/irreligious. Religious beliefs are private, and not allowed to trample on science at all. There is no zealotry ever. People respect each other and the attitude is laid back. There are only a handful of small churches/temples/mosques etc. Most of the religious people here are expatriates. Everyone else, just doesnt care, I guess. Religion really isnt a big deal here. It's just viewed as kind of a quaint, albeit private matter.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: I live in

deludedgod wrote:
I live in Hong Kong. Overwhelmingly atheist/irreligious. Religious beliefs are private, and not allowed to trample on science at all. There is no zealotry ever. People respect each other and the attitude is laid back. There are only a handful of small churches/temples/mosques etc. Most of the religious people here are expatriates. Everyone else, just doesnt care, I guess. Religion really isnt a big deal here. It's just viewed as kind of a quaint, albeit private matter.

in that regard, you're very, very fortunate. i'm envious. dare i say i covet? Eye-wink

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't be surprised if

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the one and only atheist in Bernville, PA (Pop around 800.)

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I

MattShizzle wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the one and only atheist in Bernville, PA (Pop around 800.

o_O

800?!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's a very small borough.

It's a very small borough.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm originally from

I'm originally from Manchester, North-west England. I think most people are atheist/agnostic or apathetic towards religion. I now live in Lancaster (most of the year) which is about 55 miles north of Manchester. It's a much smaller city (in fact it probably only qualifies as a city because historically it was called one) but I do notice a much higher concentration of churches, which I guess makes sense, small town, less metropolitan etc. In the University where I live I think most people aren't religious although there are some fairly extreme religious groups (always in a minority) on campus.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
After a short search I was

After a short search I was not able to find specific stats for St. Louis. Does anyone have a link where this data is compiled?

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lawrence is a pretty liberal

Lawrence is a pretty liberal city.  Sadly to say I'm farther south in Wichita.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote: I

American Atheist wrote:

Hehe...that's great.

How do I find out about the religious nature of my county?  I suspect most people here are religious.  Luckily, only 60% are right-wingers now, compared to a much higher number in the past.  People from the SF Bay Area keep moving in and fucking with the fundies' heads.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
i couldn't find anything

i couldn't find anything easily available about atheist ratio in st. louis, but my father-in-law lives there and he took my wife and i on a tour of his youth ministry. it was rather creepy, an extremely huge compound-like facility with multiple cathedrals, offices, kitchens, theaters, gyms, etc.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: Lawrence is

D-cubed wrote:
Lawrence is a pretty liberal city. Sadly to say I'm farther south in Wichita.

lawrence is fairly unique, as kansas towns go. some think it's because of our proximity to the missouri border, but kansas city, mo is  VERY religious, nothing but "malls and churches". others think it's because of the university, but i really don't know. i do know that fred phelps hates lawrence with a passion.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently, we are a

Apparently, we are a closed-mouthed people:

39,769 of the 54,501 people living in this rural county won't say what religion they are.  I should have suspected as much. Smiling  It's kind of funny.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:

BGH wrote:
After a short search I was not able to find specific stats for St. Louis. Does anyone have a link where this data is compiled?

Hey BGH, try this site: http://www.thearda.com/

It was extremely unhelpful in my search. I just learned that the people in my county think it's none of the government's BEESWAX what religion they are.

RachelAbsinthe
RachelAbsinthe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes people in Hongkong are

Yes people in Hongkong are cool when it comes to religion among other things. I like the fact that they keep their own faiths private which is what it ought to be IMO.

Over here in Singapore although the majority of the population are theists and practice a religion, they accept the fact that there are atheists among their neighbourhood, workplace and all. However even as they accept, you will always get to see the youth wing of the churches going around talking to people around their age in shopping malls, schools and all. Very annoying and they seek only to convince. Grr to that. As rare as it is, I am sure that I am not the only one who find them annoying but I seem to be the only one I know who has written to the MPs about this. Nothing has been done so far and of course, it is not a surprise.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

American Atheist wrote:

What's so funny?! Frown 

The Daily Way
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I live in a village of

I live in a village of under 300 people, so I never really thought about that question. My guesstimation from the conversations I have had with them all over time would probably put it at a rough 1/3rd.

I do know that there are 12 registered voters that belong to that marijuana political party, and sure enough, every election, they get someone on the ballot for one office or another. So there is a good chance that they might believe in something, even if it is the loathing of stems and seeds? Surprised

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Here in Los Angeles, there's

Here in Los Angeles, there's a stretch of the Glendale Freeway sponsored by Atheists United. They clean it up voluntarily... people throw trash at them, and the sign has been deliberately hit multiple times. I've talked to a decent number of atheists, but most people pay some sort of lip service to religion. The "belief in belief" persists.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote: I

American Atheist wrote:

I bet they're all at NASA too.

There are approximately 16 churches in the semi-city I live in right now, for 22,000 people. As a ratio, that's less than 1 church per thousand people. I like it. Not good enough though. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
*wanders into thread* Well,

*wanders into thread*

Well, your guys cities ARE preetttyyy athey. But I bet mine's the athiest. Wink

LOL. It's spelled atheist! Teehee.

But seriously,  my city is pretty good. BC is about 30% atheist/non-religious.... and Vancouver is probably most of those stats considering how religious the interior tends to be.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote:*wanders

GlamourKat wrote:

*wanders into thread*

Well, your guys cities ARE preetttyyy athey. But I bet mine's the athiest. Wink

LOL. It's spelled atheist! Teehee.

But seriously,  my city is pretty good. BC is about 30% atheist/non-religious.... and Vancouver is probably most of those stats considering how religious the interior tends to be.

Not all of the interior is all that bad. I lived by Kelowna for 5 years and didn't run against much in the way of religion.

But then again, the area was full of weed. Maybe people were smoking too much to care about some invisible god when they could actually see other things. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I live in the Puget sound

I live in the Puget sound area in Washington state. If I remember correctly, 25% of WA's population is "unchurched," highest in the nation. Hell of a lot better than living in TX (which is where I grew up). The churches I do see tend to be catholic or mainline protestant churches.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Out of my close group of

Out of my close group of friends in Mancs about half of us are atheist. The interesting thing is that the half of us that are atheist are the ones doing scientific or philosophical degrees. There's only one of the group studying philosophy who still adamently clings to his religion (his dad's a vicar). I'd probably say my group of friends provides a reasonable demographic microcosm of Manchester.

csneibarger
csneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
The metropolitan areas with

The metropolitan areas with the lowest ratios of religious adherents, according to the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies:

Metro area Percent of population claimed by a religious group Rank
Medford, Ore. 22 276
Corvallis, Ore. 22.6 275
Redding, Calif. 23.9 274
Eugene, Ore. 24.5 273
Jacksonville, N.C. 25.8 272
Muncie, Ind. 27.3 271
Chico, Calif. 27.4 270
Reno, Nev. 27.9 269
Grand Junction, Colo. 28.6 268
Yuba City, Calif. 28.6 267
Lawrence 29.1 266

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being this IS Texas

I guess I'm kinda lucky because in the Bryan/College Station area according to ARDA 75291 out of 152415 people (49%) aren't claiming a religion. This is a far stretch from my former residence (Beaumont/Port Arthur TX) where only 137,310 of 385,090, or 36%, aren't claiming a religion. As someone stated before this might have to do with the fact that college station is a college town but that isn't in the statistics.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: I guess

joshpatten wrote:
I guess I'm kinda lucky because in the Bryan/College Station area according to ARDA 75291 out of 152415 people (49%) aren't claiming a religion. This is a far stretch from my former residence (Beaumont/Port Arthur TX) where only 137,310 of 385,090, or 36%, aren't claiming a religion. As someone stated before this might have to do with the fact that college station is a college town but that isn't in the statistics.

I went to grad. school at Texas A&M '04-'06 and I thought the place was crawling with christians. But I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the students didn't go to church. There's a lot of drinking that goes one there, and it's probably too tough to go to church with a hangover.

NoGodJon (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
well I live right next to

well I live right next to philly so i got RRS in my backyard. Thats pretty awesome. Anyway here in Upper Darby i go to a school (High School) of 4k ppl. I can't finad ANY other atheists. So i don't know. Pretty damn small.

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
0.1% atheist.

0.1% atheist.Frown

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I have no clue. Most people

I have no clue. Most people I've come across are mostly apathetic but kinda believers or call themselves religious but are actually deistic. There's quite a few fundies around here too. But when I went to the public library every single atheist book was checked out, so that might say something. And I live quite close to Muncie, IN, too. But then on the other hand there seem to be quite a lot of churches around here.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote: There's quite a

noor wrote:
There's quite a few fundies around here too. But when I went to the public library every single atheist book was checked out, so that might say something.

It says to me that some fundies probably checked them all out and burned them.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in the area of San

I live in the area of San Jose, CA, about fifty miles south of San Francisco. This is a pretty liberal area. I live in a shared house with four other seniors. Out of five, two of us are atheists, two are pretty strong christians and another is trying to be religious, but not very serious about it. We athiests talk to each other once in a while, but out of hearing of the other three. It's best to keep peace in the house. 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Anyone know how I can find

Anyone know how I can find statistics for English cities?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I've found some stats for

I've found some stats for England and Wales. It doesn't seem which is reliable.

Census 2001 BSA
 Christian 71.7 54.2
 Non-Christian 5.7 4.7
 No religion 14.8 40.5
 Not stated 7.7 0.6

BSA means Brisitsh Social Attitudes survey. Personally I don't believe Census' to be entirely accurate, my parents put Christian down on their census forms despite the fact they aren't. It's a cultural thing. As well as this I must also point out that on Census 2001, so many people put Jedi down under religion that it is now officially a religion in the eyes of the state bureaucracy. We can see from BSA that nearly half the country's population has no religious faith although many may consider themselves religious in a strictly cultural way (my parents made me put Christian down on my application for college (not University which is different) when I was 16 with the whole it's your cultural heritage argument. I however will break the chain when I come to fill in the census forms myself in 2011.

Nazookie
User is offlineOffline
I live in Kearney,

I live in Kearney, NE.

Everyone in this town is "Very Conservative"

Which also leads me to believe why I still don't have a girlfriend...