blogging the bible

Jessica0
Jessica0's picture
User is offlineOffline
blogging the bible

Hello.........I thought someone else might be interested in this.  I was raised a christian and I decided that I wasn't buying into it at around 16.  I didn't really think much about it.  I was forced to go to church untill I was 18 and I was sent to an evangelical "boarding school" for a year when I was 17.  That really made me hate the church.  Any way I am a few years older and haven't really thought much about it untill about a year ago my younger "atheist" brother decided to go to bible school to become a preacher.  I am trying to discourage him and your site has been very informative in researching various arguements....But he brought up a good point - I haven't read the bible in 7 or 8 years and he thinks I take everything out of context.  So I am reading it straight through again.  It is so different than I remember it being.  When you are a christian it is so easy to gloss over anything that doesn't seem moral or right.  So I found a website called blogging the bible.  It is by a jewish guy named David Plotz of slate magazine.  He has an excellent comontary.  Here it is  http://slate.com/id/2141050/.  I thought  others might enjoy. 

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.” Desiderius Erasmus

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to RRS. I am sorry

Welcome to RRS. I am sorry to hear about what you had to go through.

You could always show your younger brother this site, and others especially if hes already an atheist. Although the quote marks suggests hes either agnostic, or undecided.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, I am glad you

Welcome, I am glad you shared your story.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
On Joseph in

On Joseph in Egypt.

http://www.slate.com/id/2141712/

David Plotz wrote:

The beauty in this story, beyond its basic happy ending—brothers redeemed, father at peace, etc.—is the heart of Joseph. Even as he tricks his brothers and makes them suffer, he is anguished. His weeping is no sign of weakness. It proves his goodness. He forgives them the terrible wrong they did him. And he forgives them because the Lord is with him. His acknowledgement to God is pure and heartfelt. When he forgives his brothers, he tells them:

Do not be distressed or reproach yourselves that you sold me hither; it was to save life that God sent me ahead of you. … God has sent me ahead of you to ensure your survival on earth, and to save your lives in an extraordinary deliverance. So it was not you who sent me here, but God.

To me, Joseph is the most persuasive argument for faith in Genesis. His consistent belief in the Lord, even through slavery and prison, carries him forward. This faith doesn't merely make him great and powerful, though it does. It also makes him good. It makes him able to weep, and weep, and weep again, and forgive.

Nahh. It's the old bait and switch technique of evangelism.

Biblical Apologist 101 second semester. How to plea to emotion using scripture.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.