a silly request for explanation

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
a silly request for explanation

This may seem silly (especially coming from an English Major), butcould someone please explain "proselityzing?"  I've seen a lot of people tell theists to stop doing it, so I guess it is something Theists use a lot in arguments.  I just don't understand.  If you tell me, I'll try really hard not to do it... please don't laugh at me...Embarassed

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bsaically it means to

Bsaically it means to preach to and try to convert. Here is dictionary.com's definition.

pros·e·lyt·ize      /ˈprɒsəlɪˌtaɪz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pros-uh-li-tahyz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -ized, -iz·ing.
to convert or attempt to convert as a proselyte; recruit.
Also, especially British, pros·e·lyt·ise.
[Origin: 1670–80; proselyte + -ize]
pros·e·lyt·is·tic      /ˌprɒsəlɪˈtɪstɪk, -laɪ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pros-uh-li-tis-tik, -lahy-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, adjective pros·e·lyt·i·za·tion, noun pros·e·lyt·iz·er, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source pros·e·ly·tize       (prŏs'ə-lĭ-tīz&#39Eye-wink  Pronunciation Key 
v.   pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es

v.   intr.
  1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
  2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

v.   tr.
To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

pros'e·ly·ti·za'tion (-tĭ-zā'shən) n., pros'e·ly·tiz'er n.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Did you know gullable isn't

Did you know gullable isn't in the dictionary?

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Did

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Well, you are correct! Gullable is not in the dictionary. However, gullible is in the dictionary.  (From Dictionary.com)

gul·li·ble /ˈgʌləbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[guhl-uh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
easily deceived or cheated.
Also, gul·la·ble.
[Origin: 1815–25; gull2 + -ible]
gul·li·bil·i·ty, noun gul·li·bly, adverb

If you actually meant 'gullable' you are using a language system not yet invented and you will have to define it for me.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welll, I don't plan on

Welll, I don't plan on doing any of that.... that is just not my bag... However, VOTE FOR CHRISTOPHER WALKEN!!!!!!  Laughing

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: Welll, I

Wishkah311 wrote:

Welll, I don't plan on doing any of that.... that is just not my bag... However, VOTE FOR CHRISTOPHER WALKEN!!!!!! Laughing

You just won me over, I don't care what you say about god now. You can prostylitize all you want.

CHRISTOPHER WALKEN IS MY FAVORITE! 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote:

Wishkah311 wrote:
This may seem silly (especially coming from an English Major), butcould someone please explain "proselityzing?" I've seen a lot of people tell theists to stop doing it, so I guess it is something Theists use a lot in arguments. I just don't understand. If you tell me, I'll try really hard not to do it... please don't laugh at me...Embarassed

Funny story...I went to Edmonton for 5 days last week. During that time, I met with lots of friends. Included in there was one of my best friends, his wife, and her family, including a sister I THINK they were trying to set up with me. So, after the dinner and film, me, my friend, his wife and her sister were driving around. I was pointing out places of importance to me when I lived in Edmonton. We got to South Park Centre, which is a mall on the south side. I said "I went to that mall with my church to proselityze" and they started laughing, and were a bit shocked. I was like "what?" Turns out they thought that "proselityze" and "prostitute" had the same meaning...

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada wrote: Turns

BenfromCanada wrote:

Turns out they thought that "proselityze" and "prostitute" had the same meaning...

These are probably the same people that had to read Shakespeare and thought "get thee to a nunnery" meant "go to a convent".

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Well, you are

jce wrote:

Well, you are correct! Gullable is not in the dictionary. However, gullible is in the dictionary.  (From Dictionary.com) gul·li·ble /ˈgʌləbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[guhl-uh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective
easily deceived or cheated.
Also, gul·la·ble.
[Origin: 1815–25; gull2 + -ible]
gul·li·bil·i·ty, noun gul·li·bly, adverb

If you actually meant 'gullable' you are using a language system not yet invented and you will have to define it for me.

umm...See? Told you!

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: These are

Susan wrote:

These are probably the same people that had to read Shakespeare and thought "get thee to a nunnery" meant "go to a convent".

haha, probably. ("nunnery"="nursery" then, right?)

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
nunnery=whorehouse in

nunnery=whorehouse in Shakespeare's day... which is really funny when you use it on someone today... they don't even know you've insulted them.  Laughing

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311

Wishkah311 wrote:
nunnery=whorehouse in Shakespeare's day... which is really funny when you use it on someone today... they don't even know you've insulted them.  Laughing

It's been a long time since I've read any Shakespeare, that's quite funny.  It's even funnier because I've called a convent a 'nunnery' before.  Oops. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
People make fun of

People make fun of Shakespeare... but that shit is hilarious.  Did you also know that "stones" was once slang for balls??  Just little tidbits... I tell you, you take one Shakespeare class or read any history on Shakespeare's works... you learn a lot of funny things.  Sorry, tangent some more

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't apologize! 

Don't apologize!  Shakespeare is great!!  I haven't studied him much but I always enjoy his plays.  I did not know that about "nunnery" and it is hilarious!  Sometimes my kids will watch with me for about 5 minutes if I rent one of the popular productions on dvd.  I explain the funny to them and they appreciate it but they still think I am weird for watching it.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Don't apologize!

jce wrote:
Don't apologize! Shakespeare is great!! I haven't studied him much but I always enjoy his plays. I did not know that about "nunnery" and it is hilarious! Sometimes my kids will watch with me for about 5 minutes if I rent one of the popular productions on dvd. I explain the funny to them and they appreciate it but they still think I am weird for watching it.

The most exciting thing for me when I was in Junior High was getting to see Romeo and Juliet live for the first time... I was like 12.  But I was an English Major... kinda hard for me to not enjoy Shakespeare.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: kinda

Wishkah311 wrote:

kinda hard for me to not enjoy Shakespeare.

There are some on this site that are really into physics (I won't name names -BGH) and I do try to understand it so I can appreciate it, but it is impossible for me to get how anyone could not enjoy and appreciate Shakespeare! 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: There are some

jce wrote:
There are some on this site that are really into physics (I won't name names -BGH) and I do try to understand it so I can appreciate it, but it is impossible for me to get how anyone could not enjoy and appreciate Shakespeare!

Blah! I have news for you smarty pants, I like Shakespeare also. Very much!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Wishkah311

jce wrote:
Wishkah311 wrote:

kinda hard for me to not enjoy Shakespeare.

jce - I totally agree.  I try to understand physics but it makes my eyes bleed. 

I think my favorite Shakespeare was Othello.  I've always wanted to read the Taming of the Shrew but never got around to it. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
 Turns out they thought that "proselityze" and "prostitute" had the same meaning...
Well, when you think about it, both prostitutes and proselityzers use the same methods. They both try to entice a person with false promises, the one a counterfeit of love and the other a counterfeit of reason. Both of them can be quite expensive. And both can lead to debilitating disease, one of the body, the other of the mind.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad I'm not the only

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble with science.  I find it interesting, but I'm just not that bright... but I can read!!!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm taking physics but I

I'm taking physics but I HATE english. Give me a physics or math class over an english class anyday!

All those stupid long ass essays about how the authour used a chair to symoblize humanity's struggle over their moral selfs.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Did

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Do you watch QI? 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm taking physics but I HATE english. Give me a physics or math class over an english class anyday!

All those stupid long ass essays about how the authour used a chair to symoblize humanity's struggle over their moral selfs.

"All those stupid long ass essays about how the author used a chair to symbolize humanity's struggle over their moral selves."

You are all determined to drive me to an early grave...tell you what Cpt - I'll correct your papers; you teach me about math.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:   "All those

jce wrote:

"All those stupid long ass essays about how the author used a chair to symbolize humanity's struggle over their moral selves."

I'll give you the selves part, but the I'm pretty sure authour is the British english spelling. Like honour and honor.

I'm Canadian so I spell the British english way.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: jce

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
jce wrote:

I'll give you the selves part, but the I'm pretty sure authour is the British english spelling. Like honour and honor.

Surprised  My mistake!  

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Canadians represent!

*High fives Cpt_pineapple* 

I'm contantly telling people words are spelled in PROPER english, like honour, cheque, etc.!  

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote: I'm

GlamourKat wrote:

I'm contantly telling people words are spelled in PROPER english, like honour, cheque, etc.!

We are so pathetic.  We copy a language and then spell everything wrong!  Although, you have to give us points for sheer arrogance.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Largo wrote: Well, when

Largo wrote:
Well, when you think about it, both prostitutes and proselityzers use the same methods. They both try to entice a person with false promises, the one a counterfeit of love and the other a counterfeit of reason. Both of them can be quite expensive. And both can lead to debilitating disease, one of the body, the other of the mind.
Good point! Though I'd say that the religious use counterfeit love as well. Especially the group I was with at the time.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
jce wrote:

I'm sorry, bro, but "author" is the way Canadians spell it too (Canadian English isn't British English OR American English. It's a combination.) I think that Brits spell those words as "author" and "selves" actually.

Temper Mental
Temper Mental's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've just begun studying

I've just begun studying Shakespeare.  Although I can only understand every other line, I think it is quite brilliant.

"If thou didst ever hold me in thy heart, absent thee from felicity awhile and in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain to tell my story." - Hamlet

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Don't feel bad Wishkah.  I had to Google the word myself.

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Let us pray that all the hungry children in the world will be fed and peace be spread throughout the entire world. Amen.
*Incoherent speaking*
What do you mean it is not your will to feed the children of the world?!

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
Temper Mental wrote: I've

Temper Mental wrote:

I've just begun studying Shakespeare. Although I can only understand every other line, I think it is quite brilliant.

Just for some help with the language, Sparknotes online is a really good source of explanation.  There are also some scholarly journals about the language and metaphors in the text.  A lot of people have written about Shakespeare and made it easier to understand.  I had a couple of great teachers who made it easier to understand, too.  But I'm glad people are getting back into Shakespeare..

"

If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires;
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart. His passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse.
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say, "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say, "These wounds I had on Crispian's day."
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words,
Harry the King, Bedford, and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered,
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Henry V, Act III, Scene iv

Temper Mental
Temper Mental's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the suggestions,

Thanks for the suggestions, and nice soliloquy.  Unfortuneatly I'm not fimiliar with Henry V yet Frown

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Let us pray that all the hungry children in the world will be fed and peace be spread throughout the entire world. Amen.
*Incoherent speaking*
What do you mean it is not your will to feed the children of the world?!

itsjustinf
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: The

Wishkah311 wrote:

The most exciting thing for me when I was in Junior High was getting to see Romeo and Juliet live for the first time... I was like 12. But I was an English Major... kinda hard for me to not enjoy Shakespeare.

Hooray for English Majors.  Agreed on Shakespeare, as well.  But (I'm gonna go with the argument I heard so often in school), I think Marlowe was better, and had he not died (a bottle in the eye in a bar fight, IIRC) he would be more well known.  

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to go off topic

I'd like to go off topic and compliment you, Wishkah, on your EXCELLENT sig.

Buffy is awesome. And Spike owns my soul.(if i believed in souls,  shutup, Laughing LOL) 

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I think that Brits

Quote:
I think that Brits spell those words as "author" and "selves" actually.

I was told that was correct too.

I'm confused. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
"English does not borrow

"English does not borrow from other languages. It follows them into dark alleys, knocks them out, and riffles through their pockets for loose grammar."

(Don't know who said it originally but I saw it on a t-shirt.)

-Triften 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps in my own bygone

Perhaps in my own bygone arrogance, I named my eldest daughter Myranda(with spousal approval lol)

O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote: I'd like

GlamourKat wrote:

I'd like to go off topic and compliment you, Wishkah, on your EXCELLENT sig.

Buffy is awesome. And Spike owns my soul.(if i believed in souls, shutup, Laughing LOL)

I have been waiting a long time for someone to get that quote.. you have made my day  Wink.  Ninja thinks I'm lame,... but I have a sickness when it comes to Joss Whedon.. That man is brilliant... 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: I have

Wishkah311 wrote:

I have been waiting a long time for someone to get that quote.. you have made my day Wink. Ninja thinks I'm lame,... but I have a sickness when it comes to Joss Whedon.. That man is brilliant...

i never said I think you're lame...I think you're a dork...but then I'm a dork so it's not really a judgement....I think you have a full-on autoimmune disorder when it comes to him.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: I have

Wishkah311 wrote:

I have been waiting a long time for someone to get that quote.. you have made my day Wink. Ninja thinks I'm lame,... but I have a sickness when it comes to Joss Whedon.. That man is brilliant...

Hahaha yes, I buy everything he does, down to his issues of Runaways and Astonishing X-Men. At this very second I am wearing my Joss Whedon is my Master Now shirt that my friend bought me at a ComicCon.

Hehehehe.

Here's a completely pointless pic of Spike because I heart him.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
yummy, yummy bad boy... One

yummy, yummy bad boy... One day... Joss will be back.  And there will be much rejoicing... YAY

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: yummy,

Wishkah311 wrote:
yummy, yummy bad boy... One day... Joss will be back. And there will be much rejoicing... YAY

...and gnashing of teeth.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: yummy,

Wishkah311 wrote:
yummy, yummy bad boy... One day... Joss will be back. And there will be much rejoicing... YAY

Season 8 is out in comic book form! It's official and awesome. I have the first 2 issues. You should pick them up. Joss has promised Spike and Angel in the 3rd issue!  Laughing

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXCELLENT!!!... Ninja,

EXCELLENT!!!... Ninja, darling, I love you!!!!!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311

Wishkah311 wrote:

See, Ninja, I knew she would come back to you. 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Wishkah311

BGH wrote:

Wishkah311 wrote:

See, Ninja, I knew she would come back to you.

Well, I give her shit about Buffy, but that's only b/c the other show she turned me on to was the West Wing.  Which I think is actually a good show.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
While we're on the topic of

While we're on the topic of 90s TV shows anyone remember Samurai Pizza Cats? Beast Wars? Sailor Moon?

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: While

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
While we're on the topic of 90s TV shows anyone remember Samurai Pizza Cats? Beast Wars? Sailor Moon?

Sorry I try and make a habit of not watching tv.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
HOTDAMN X-D lol that was

HOTDAMN X-D lol that was funny.