First post

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
goodlikeamedicine's picture
User is offlineOffline
First post

Hello everyone.    I found this site tonight after hearing a speaker at a local conference allude to "the damned" (You Tube).
I have been a Christian for many years, and I realize I will likely not be welcomed here in this forum.  If possible, however, I'd like to join and learn from you all.  I would like to learn more about some of you individually, why you are atheists, what makes you hate God, and such.    I LOVE people.  I would love to learn from you and study some of what you are saying here.    I would also like to put myself out there to be a friend to any young woman/women (sorry guys) who is hurting, depressed, angry, or just needing a friend to talk to.  I don't think I'm this incredible asset to your forum or anything, but I feel confident in who I am and how I can empathize with what some of you may be experiencing in your lives.
I apologize if I post something that has already been discussed elsewhere.   I only have a very short window of time to spend on this site only a few times a week.  
I would like to post a topic beginning with this question to get to know some of you:   Are you truly happy?   If so, what defines your happiness?   If not, what do you want that you think would make you happy?
I'll be glad to post my answer to my own question maybe in a day or two.... I look forward to reading and learning. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! You will do just

Welcome! You will do just fine here as long as you are honest and straightforward.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine wrote:

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I would like to post a topic beginning with this question to get to know some of you: Are you truly happy? If so, what defines your happiness? If not, what do you want that you think would make you happy?
I am truly happy, my family, my friends and my hobbies make me happy. I love my dog, music, science, learning, my friends here, debating... many, many things make me truly happy. {edit - fixed quote tags}

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard!    goodl

Welcome aboard! 

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
what makes you hate God

Huh?!

How can I hate something that doesn't exist? Wink

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Major red flags.

Major red flags.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Hello everyone. I found this site tonight after hearing a speaker at a local conference allude to "the damned" (You Tube).
Apparently I was worng about us needing a better PR guy...

Quote:
I have been a Christian for many years, and I realize I will likely not be welcomed here in this forum.
Welcome, you are welcome to come and go at you leisure. Just make sure to read the forum rules and as a request, if someone asks you a question please respond (i don't know and I don't have time are valid answers). Peruse the our selection and make yourself heard.
Quote:
If possible, however, I'd like to join and learn from you all. I would like to learn more about some of you individually, why you are atheists, what makes you hate God, and such.
First lesson: not everyone on this site is an atheist (my gf Wishkah311 for one). Second, Do not make assumptions. If you have questions about peoples viewpoints, ask. Don't assume you know what happens to you and umption. Also, we don't hate god. That would be like me saying you hate Zeus. (Which I'm assuming you don't believe in...I know I'm breaking my own rules).
Quote:
I LOVE people. I would love to learn from you and study some of what you are saying here. I would also like to put myself out there to be a friend to any young woman/women (sorry guys) who is hurting, depressed, angry, or just needing a friend to talk to.
Please not prosteltyzing, we know where a church is and most of us actually grew up in one (or several). We know where god is supposed to be if we want to find him.
Quote:
I don't think I'm this incredible asset to your forum or anything, but I feel confident in who I am and how I can empathize with what some of you may be experiencing in your lives.
I like discussing religion and my lack there of with new people, it's the only way to grow and learn.
Quote:
I apologize if I post something that has already been discussed elsewhere. I only have a very short window of time to spend on this site only a few times a week.
I would like to post a topic beginning with this question to get to know some of you: Are you truly happy? If so, what defines your happiness? If not, what do you want that you think would make you happy?
I'll be glad to post my answer to my own question maybe in a day or two.... I look forward to reading and learning.

you probably want to start a second post since this one will probably be clogged here shortly with introductions, but once you do that I'll be glad to post.

[edited:for formatting] 

No Gods, Know Peace.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the RRS. Yes,

Welcome to the RRS.

Yes, you are welcome here.  However, be prepared for debate and to be able to rationally defend what you say. 

First, you have a few misconceptions about Atheists.  You wrote:

what makes you hate God, and such.

We don't hate your god, we just don't think he exists.  Kinda hard to hate something that doesn't exist. 

I'm also curious why you would post this:

I would also like to put myself out there to be a friend to any young woman/women (sorry guys) who is hurting, depressed, angry, or just needing a friend to talk to.

Why do you assume that the females here might be hurting, etc?  If you read through the forums, you will find that a lot of the people here were at one time theists and are much happier now that they're not. 

but I feel confident in who I am and how I can empathize with what some of you may be experiencing in your lives.

From this I gather that you think that people become Atheist or Agnostic because they've experienced a tragedy.  Again, read through the forums and you'll see that isn't true.  Most of us came to our beliefs through logic and rational thought.  You'll probably be disappointed to find posts telling how some here are much happier since they've shed theism.

One word of warning, if you offend easily, I would suggest you post in the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum.  It is heavily moderated.  No cussing.  No insults.  No personal attacks.

However, if you post in the Atheist vs Theist forums, it's gloves off and no-holds barred debate.  You will probably need a pretty thick skin.  

Note:  The Freethinking Anonymous forum is off-limits to theists.  Should you post there, it will be removed.

Again, welcome!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks to all. Ninja,

Thanks to all.
Ninja, please reread carefully what I wrote.  "Some of you..."
And again, I offer friendship and an ear to any young woman....
I am not a church; yes, I am part of one.  I do agree that you can find a church if you'd like to do that, but I was speaking about having online conversations with any young women who need a friend.
Thanks again and I'll be reading - good nite from here!

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine wrote: I

goodlikeamedicine wrote:

I have been a Christian for many years, and I realize I will likely not be welcomed here in this forum. If possible, however, I'd like to join and learn from you all. I would like to learn more about some of you individually, why you are atheists,
I am an atheist because I have not been shown any evidence to the contrary. You'll hear this a lot.
Quote:
Big misconception here. We dont hate god, we dont think any of them exist.
Quote:
I LOVE people. I would love to learn from you and study some of what you are saying here.
You're not averse to eating sugar are you?
Quote:
I would also like to put myself out there to be a friend to any young woman/women (sorry guys) who is hurting, depressed, angry, or just needing a friend to talk to. I don't think I'm this incredible asset to your forum or anything, but I feel confident in who I am and how I can empathize with what some of you may be experiencing in your lives.
Are you insinuating that all atheists must be hurting, depressed, et al? If so, that kind of condescention won't be well-received here. If not, have fun perusing the boards!
Quote:
I would like to post a topic beginning with this question to get to know some of you: Are you truly happy?
No.
Quote:
If not, what do you want that you think would make you happy?
I want religious people to stop killing other people because they think their mythology is superior. I want the leaders of this country to act in the best interests of the people. I want people to treat others fairly and decently, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. That would be a good start.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

magilum
User is offlineOffline
This is going to get

This is going to get weirder, I can feel it.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: You

Roisin Dubh wrote:
You aren't averse to eatin sugar are you?

You made me chuckle...really hard...which is mean b/c Wishkah is asleep next to me and I'm blaming it on you if I wake her up. 

No Gods, Know Peace.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh

Roisin Dubh wrote:

goodlikeamedicine wrote:

Are you truly happy?

No.

goodlikeamedicine wrote:

I want religious people to stop killing other people because they think their mythology is superior. I want the leaders of this country to act in the best interests of the people. I want people to treat others fairly and decently, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. That would be a good start.

Excellent answer, Roisin Dubh.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Thanks to all.
Ninja, please reread carefully what I wrote. "Some of you..."
just so you know the way you wrote it means that the some of you is with respect to speaking to individuals.  the statemens that followed were referencing everyone individual on the site.  I'm not attacking, I just believe in clear communication, and I know what I think you meant, you just didn't say it exactly that way. 
Quote:
And again, I offer friendship and an ear to any young woman....
I am not a church; yes, I am part of one. I do agree that you can find a church if you'd like to do that, but I was speaking about having online conversations with any young women who need a friend.
Thanks again and I'll be reading - good nite from here!

That's kind of a strange psuedo-sexist thing you have going on there, but hey I like talking to the women on here as much as the men.  I'm just wondering if this means you won't talk to guys or you just won't become friends with them....honestly confused here...little help appreciated...have a good night... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Hello everyone. I found this site tonight after hearing a speaker at a local conference allude to "the damned" (You Tube).

heh. Imagine that.

Quote:
I have been a Christian for many years, and I realize I will likely not be welcomed here in this forum. If possible, however, I'd like to join and learn from you all.

I'm pretty confident when I say Everyone is welcome. After all, if it weren't for the theists then there wouldn't be a reason for a site such as this.

Quote:
I would like to learn more about some of you individually, why you are atheists, what makes you hate God, and such.

Can't hate that which is undefined. I'm an atheist simply because I lack a belief in any god(s). There are no other qualifying definitions no matter what you've been told.

Quote:
I LOVE people.

Me too. However, I don't have to like their beliefs.

Quote:
I would love to learn from you and study some of what you are saying here.

It's a lot of reading. I wouldn't recommend looking for things among the most recent posts. Try relevant forum topics with regard to your initial questions.

Quote:
I would also like to put myself out there to be a friend to any young woman/women (sorry guys) who is hurting, depressed, angry, or just needing a friend to talk to.

I think you'll find young women devoid of god belief are much stronger than they are given credit for being. It takes a brave person(any gender) to stand up for themselves in our society at a young age.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you and would you prefer the freethinkingteens.com site instead?

Quote:
I don't think I'm this incredible asset to your forum or anything, but I feel confident in who I am and how I can empathize with what some of you may be experiencing in your lives.

Ditto. I'm often very shocked that people have this idea that atheists were 'manufactured' rather than starting out in much the same way that you are now.

Many of us come from a 'christian' background simply by virtue of being born into a nation full of christianity. For some of us, it took a long time to finally 'shrug off' the mental load of crap that is theism in general. If you've been told that atheism is something that one must be indoctrinated into then I'm afraid you have been lied to yet again.

Quote:
I apologize if I post something that has already been discussed elsewhere. I only have a very short window of time to spend on this site only a few times a week.

It happens a lot. Most of the time we'll be able to link you to the relevant data or previous posts.

Quote:
I would like to post a topic beginning with this question to get to know some of you:

Are you truly happy?

Yes. It could always be better, but happy is sometimes just freedom of mind.

Quote:
If so, what defines your happiness?

Some of the same things that make you happy I'm sure. My children. My career. Occasionally, my spouse. lol.

Quote:

I would be happier if people didn't try to tell me what they think would make me happy. If people used their minds for thinking rather than praying. If people could just for a few minutes analyze themselves and say, "Why do I really need to believe in god?" then I would be happier.

OR, if every televangelist sent ME money to do good works. I have no need for a jet or a limo or a mansion on the beach. I'd get a better feeling from providing medicine, education, jobs, and housing for the needy than I would slipping into my heated hot tub to prepare my sermon for the next day after smoking meth, getting a handjob from a masseuse, and beating my wife.

I wouldn't even force the needy to pray or go to church for help.

Give a person a fish and they'll eat for a day.Teach them how to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime.Tell them to pray and wait for the fish and they'll eventually STARVE.

Quote:
Good deal. I'll check back.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I have been a

Quote:
I have been a Christian for many years, and I realize I will likely not be welcomed here in this forum. If possible, however, I'd like to join and learn from you all. I would like to learn more about some of you individually,

I'm 23 years old, have been a closet atheist since I was about 16, have recently begun admitting my stance because of the RRS, knowing there are other people like you is a huge confidence boost.

Quote:
why you are atheists,

Personally, I became atheist when I researched the evolution of mankind, the earth and civilization. You find out that religion came about because people did not have the tools and science needed to explain naturally occuring phenomena added with it's own mythology. You are lying to yourself if you think that a God caused anything, and are simply under a delusion. I was a theist, I believed, I thought my prayers were answered. But probability says that I will eventually ask "God" for something and it will happen. There is absolutely no evidence that such a God exists.

Quote:

I don't hate God, nor do I hate theists. My girlfriend is a theist, and I have absolutely no problem with it. I'm slowly deconverting her though, and as soon as I get her away from the control of her mother, her journey to the "Dark side" will be complete. I do hate the theist vileification of atheists, however.

Quote:
I LOVE people. I would love to learn from you and study some of what you are saying here. I would also like to put myself out there to be a friend to any young woman/women (sorry guys) who is hurting, depressed, angry, or just needing a friend to talk to.

No problem, and don't take this the wrong way, but there is nothing you could possibly say to me through your theist view to make me feel better. I feel amazing. I was much more depressed and angry as a theist than I ever have been as an atheist.

Quote:

Can you empathize with my feeling that my country is being run by religious nut jobs that would rather run things by what it says in a thousand year old story book that has been heavily than use common sense and do what is best for humanity? (I could ramble about this for hours, but I don't have the time, nor the energy)

Quote:
If this is from some sort of religious reason, then I feel bad for you. If you enjoy visiting here, I feel real bad that a figment of your imagination that has been burned into your psyche by the theist majority would keep you from doing something you enjoy.
Quote:
I am honestly truely happy. I get my Sundays to watch football. I don't have to waste another moment on prayer or another cent on a huge money-making scheme. I have a beautiful woman that loves me, I'm graduating college in May, and I'll be getting on with my life soon. My happiness is defined by the time I have to do things I enjoy, such as read and post on these forums. I also enjoy permarital (although consentual and commited relationship) sex, video games (playing Oblivion right now, it's pretty good.) sports, history, and learning. What do I want that would make me happy? For theism to have no bearing on the decisions made by my elected officials or education, because it has no value to add to either.
Quote:
See ya soon, hope you enjoy reading my post even though it's not what you wanted to hear.

YOU shut the fuck up! WE'LL save America!

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
YouTube is "damned"? Unless this is one of those anti-semitic churches that refers to is as "JewTube" I can't see how a church can call YouTube "damned".
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I have been a Christian for many years, and I realize I will likely not be welcomed here in this forum.
One forum has a "No Theist" clause. The rest are open and welcoming. Be ready to defend your beliefs, though.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
If possible, however, I'd like to join and learn from you all. I would like to learn more about some of you individually, why you are atheists, what makes you hate God, and such.
If you check out my blog, I posted recently why I became atheist. That said, I don't hate the created god, or its followers. I hate the creators of the gods, for they used their creations to control the masses. I also hate the modern followers of these beings who have similar goals.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I really don't see...wait a minute. Are you with the International Church of Christ? (or whatever it's been renamed)
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
You may be an incredible asset to the forum. Who knows?
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
No prob, bob
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
More or less. More friends would make me happier, some lovin' would help, and a better job, maybe. And going back to school.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
rock on!

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Are you truly

Quote:
Are you truly happy?

I'd say so. I could stand to be happier. I'm hungry and I ate all my Sun Chips last night. Yeah...I'd be happier with more Sun Chips.

Quote:
If so, what defines your happiness?

Living, learning, creating and being with those I care about. Writing, playing music and laughing at my own expense. Sun Chips are pretty good, too.

Welcome to the board, goodlikeamedecine. Can the "you hate god" stuff and I'm sure you'll get on.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have been a Christian for

That's not true. Only annoying people are not welcome. And there are plenty of annoying atheists and theists.

I would like to learn more about some of you individually, why you are atheists,

I am an atheist because there is no rational ontology or epistemology to beleif in God. Classical theism is totally incoherent and based on circular reasoning and wishful thinking fallacy. Non-materialist (ie vitalist) philosophy has no coherency because it has no sane definition.

Excuse me. This is complete nonsense. If you look up atheist in the dictionary you will find "someome who does not believe in a deity". Last time I checked, it is a logical contradiction to hate something which does not exist.

I HATE 2+2=5

I HATE SQUARE CIRCLES

I HATE SANTA!

see?

I LOVE people.

Well. Yes, it would be rather disconcerting if you did not.

would love to learn from you and study some of what you are saying here.

Good.

We aren't atheists because we are depressed. What a silly thing to say.

See above. What leads you to this absurd non sequiter? Atheism is not the result of depression or emotional trauma in one's life that causes one to "abandon God". It is a rational conclusion about the nature of the cosmos.

I apologize if I post something that has already been discussed elsewhere.

No. I think this is a first...

Are you truly happy?  If so, what defines your happiness?

Lets see. Great life. Awesome job. A career that I love (same thing), everything I could ever want in life. My health, loving family etc etc.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks.  I learned a

Thanks.  I learned a lot. 
Honestly I'm overwhelmed by the forum - simply because I've never heard so many conversations like this all at once.  Web forums are amazing in this respect.  I have only had 10-15  friends in my life who called themselves atheist and only have one now with whom I regularly discuss faith and life.    I suspect that it's possible for me to learn most of what I want to know just from reading, not necessarily discussing something I know I can never prove to someone else.  Just from your answers on this thread alone I have concluded that, yes, most of you are happy.  I thought that coming in, but I wasn't sure.     
A little bit about myself:  I am also very happy.   I have three kids (chuckle, darth-josh) - like most people I don't like to mention how old I am online, but I'm old enough to have graduated college, work, get married, and have 3 kids Smiling - and I am a web developer "on the side" - thus not much as much time to spend on here....
The thoughts I had after spending a few hours here were these, and sometime I may post them in another topic, but anyway, here they are - honest and genuine, coming from someone who has been truly humbled in many ways - these thoughts from the only life I can speak for - my own:
* I wonder if any of these people answering my question have ever been adopted and never had the chance to meet their biological parents.  I wonder if any of them have endured tremendous suffering or pain, or almost died before.  I wonder if  any of them have experienced the horrible pain of birthing a baby and explained the "rush" in mere physiological terms.  I wonder if any of them have ever looked into the beautiful eyes of their son or daughter and been able to live with the notion that this person doesn't really mean anything at all.   Is this really what atheists think?  Can they really live this way and be happy?What do they say to a toddler who slaps another child or runs in the street into oncoming traffic , or what do they say to their child who has been utterly shamed in front of other people if their lives don't matter for anything more than existence?  Do their lives have dignity and purpose, or do they want these things?
 I guess with my question (which I now see is a different question indeed) was backed by me wanting to hear someone here say that they have been humbled by the "unexplainable" and that they were still happy to say that there is absolutely nothing out there beyond what they can see. 
Please know I thought a lot about what I wanted to write and tried to keep it as concise as possible.   Oh, and the "friend to females" thing - I was being genuine.  Nothing more than my personal experience with people is what made me think there might be someone needing a friend.  I was wrong in thinking that existed here.  No offense taken.  I hope to learn more about you as I read.    Thanks for reading - 

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your smile scares

Your smile scares me.

Other then that welcome to RRS. You are as welcome as we are, if we ever do make fun of you it will be pointing out a grammer mistake, or a contridiction you said, or a falacy. Which in reality is not making fun of you, just pointing something out.

However, you won't be here long most likely, in my expierence most theists stay, post a few threads and when they keep getting proven wrong eventually end up either spaming nonsense then leaving, or just fading away. 

I do not hate god, I guess you could say I hate the idea of a god. I just simply do not lean on belief, if there is no proof for something, rationally it does not exist. Even though it may still exist, the rational thing is to not believe until such proof is supplied. Same stance on god for me.

Again, welcome to RRS. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz

James Cizuz wrote:

You are as welcome as we are, if we ever do make fun of you it will be pointing out a grammer mistake, or a contridiction you said, or a falacy. Which in reality is not making fun of you, just pointing something out.

You mean grammar mistakes right? Laughing

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine wrote: *

goodlikeamedicine wrote:

* I wonder if any of these people answering my question have ever been adopted and never had the chance to meet their biological parents. I wonder if any of them have endured tremendous suffering or pain, or almost died before. I wonder if any of them have experienced the horrible pain of birthing a baby and explained the "rush" in mere physiological terms.
The answer to all of these thoughts is yes. I can't tell you who each is personally, but I have no doubt that there is someone on these boards who is adopted(and not in contact with his/her bio. parents), we have all endured pain and suffering(do you seriously think all atheists have skirted pain and suffering all of our collective lives?! Come on.) , and I speak from experience on the near-death thing. There are a few mothers on the site as well.
Quote:
I wonder if any of them have ever looked into the beautiful eyes of their son or daughter and been able to live with the notion that this person doesn't really mean anything at all. Is this really what atheists think?
You have much to learn. Of course atheist parents dont view their children as meaningless. That's a horrible misconception. Atheists, for that matter, dont view life in general as meaningless, despite our lack of a belief in heavenly rewards.
Quote:
Can they really live this way and be happy?What do they say to a toddler who slaps another child or runs in the street into oncoming traffic , or what do they say to their child who has been utterly shamed in front of other people if their lives don't matter for anything more than existence? Do their lives have dignity and purpose, or do they want these things?
OK, you claim to have had 10-15 friends who are atheists, correct? Are they all miserable? Do they view their children as meaningless? Atheists have as much or as little dignity as anybody else, and we view our purpose(in general, not all atheists will agree with me here) as to do the best we can to make the world a better place. You do not need god to accomplish this, and if you disagree, read up on the essays on the fallacy of religion-dependent morality before you respond.

Quote:
I guess with my question (which I now see is a different question indeed) was backed by me wanting to hear someone here say that they have been humbled by the "unexplainable" and that they were still happy to say that there is absolutely nothing out there beyond what they can see.
This is an illogical argument. I am humbled all the time by things that are so far unexplainable, and I am sure there are things out there that I cannot yet "see." The argument that god is the thing out there that I cannot see has nothing to support it.
Quote:
Please know I thought a lot about what I wanted to write and tried to keep it as concise as possible. Oh, and the "friend to females" thing - I was being genuine. Nothing more than my personal experience with people is what made me think there might be someone needing a friend. I was wrong in thinking that existed here. No offense taken. I hope to learn more about you as I read. Thanks for reading -
That's because you, like many theist visitors that came before you, assume that we must be sad, pathetic lonely people because we dont dump our responsibility to be good people on to a fictional father figure. Most people here have very healthy and active social lives, and if you keep this condescending attitude up(as much as you may believe you're just being nice) you will no doubt be sent to sleep with the sugarless one.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know 10-15 atheists? 

You know 10-15 atheists?  That's kind of interesting.  What denomination of religion are you?  Do you live in the South?  North?  Just curious.

Is this really what atheists think?  Can they really live this way and be happy?What do they say to a toddler who slaps another child or runs in the street into oncoming traffic , or what do they say to their child who has been utterly shamed in front of other people if their lives don't matter for anything more than existence?  Do their lives have dignity and purpose, or do they want these things?

This is a very rude thing to suggest.  You've basically managed to tell us that because we are atheists, there is no meaning to our lives.  Before you say that we don't have any morals, I'd recommend going through some previous threads.  This has all been covered before.  I would venture to say this comes perilously close to proselityzing, which most non-theists on this forum despise. 

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with all the pain and suffering.  I also don't understand what adoption would have to do with being atheist. 

I'm perfectly happy in my life.  I know my life has meaning and I don't require a god or dogma for that meaning.  To suggest that atheists don't have dignity or purpose is ridiculous. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure what you're

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but I'll see. 

Quote:
* I wonder if any of these people answering my question have ever been adopted and never had the chance to meet their biological parents.

My biological parents are one of the greatest influences on my life. They both happen to be theists, but religion was never an underlying factor in my upbringing. They simply encouraged my learning.

Quote:
I wonder if any of them have endured tremendous suffering or pain, or almost died before. 

My 16 year old cousin died in a car accident. My father was once an a verbally abusive alchoholic. I live in a country where theism is continually bombarded at me and assimilates itself where it doesn't belong. That's a lot of emotional pain.

Physical pain? Hmmm.. Broke an arm, wisdom teeth, almost died as a baby, but I can't recall that.

Quote:
I wonder if  any of them have experienced the horrible pain of birthing a baby and explained the "rush" in mere physiological terms. 

No, I have a penis. 

Quote:
I wonder if any of them have ever looked into the beautiful eyes of their son or daughter and been able to live with the notion that this person doesn't really mean anything at all.

Are you trying to imply that atheists lack the ability to have human emotion? I argue that life is MORE precious to an atheist than to a theist. We believe that after you are dead, that's it. (At least I do) Each and every life then becomes that much more important on a human level.

Quote:
Is this really what atheists think? 

No. And whoever told you this is a liar.

Quote:
Can they really live this way and be happy? What do they say to a toddler who slaps another child

You discipline them, because causing harm upon others is wrong.

Quote:
or runs in the street into oncoming traffic

STOP!! (Run and try to save them if you can),

Quote:
or what do they say to their child who has been utterly shamed in front of other people if their lives don't matter for anything more than existence?

When another human you have feelings toward is shamed, you say comforting words. They don't have to be about some imaginary man in the sky.

Quote:
Do their lives have dignity and purpose, or do they want these things?

Yes. I have a lot of dignity and a sense of purpose. But my purpose and morality come from within. Not because I'm afraid of making a supernatural being angry, but because I hold myself accountable for my actions. If I make nothing out of myself, then I wasted away the small amount of time I had on a small spec floating in a vast universe that I can most likely never fully comprehend. 

I also take offense to the idea that atheists place no value on life. My belief in evolution and the "accident" of the events that lead to life have made me appreciate every living organism on this planet all the more. It's much more beautiful to me when I look at life for what it is, an evolutionary pattern of mutation and gradual change that eventually produced a variety of organisms on this planet.

Let me ask you. Why do you think atheists are depressed or angry, or emotionally traumatized? I feel that it's quite the opposite. I feel like I have a much happier life without the need for an imaginary friend or ficticious ideals to guide me. I'm having trouble finding the words to explain myself further today, so I'll leave it at that.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: James

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
James Cizuz wrote:

You are as welcome as we are, if we ever do make fun of you it will be pointing out a grammer mistake, or a contridiction you said, or a falacy. Which in reality is not making fun of you, just pointing something out.

You mean grammar mistakes right? Laughing

Yeah.... See what I mean? We all point out mistakes.  

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry if it seemed rude

I'm sorry if it seemed rude or condescending.  The reason I asked is because I see a lot of Richard Dawkins promo here, and just a few days ago I listened to a speaker talk about how he was asked recently in Washington DC at a conference how he can live with a dualistic view of truth when human nature and experience seems to contradict it... and he said he "just does... otherwise life would be intolerable."  I thought to myself, "If most atheists would only believe in what their human experience shows them, then would they agree with him that you just live with it?"   Can you still be happy if you don't live with it? 
If you say you are perfectly happy in your life, who am I to doubt that?    
My questions did not come from an arrogant spirit.  My beliefs about truth and the nature of the world and God would possibly be perceived as arrogance, but the questions about your personal exprerience were just that - questions.

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
And Icebergin - I know

And Icebergin - I know myself, and to think of my morality coming from within scares me to death.  We are very different I guess.  

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why would morality scare

Why would morality scare you? You have the same morality do you not? Does your actions not come from within you? I get my morality from the simple thought of "I do not like getting X done to me, so why should I do X to you". Also, if it takes a punishment to make someone good, that scares me. Becuase if you have to be threatened by hell to be a good person, you are not a good person. You may do good things, however you would never do them without hell. Without hell, or a punishment after death for religions, everyone would be horrible people. The only reason you follow those "moral" guide lines, which were stolen from other religions, and ideas by the way, is because you fear hell. There is no other reason in your religion to be good unless you fear hell, or you have good coming from within you.

Thank god i'm a atheist!

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
what makes you hate God,

i would only hate god if he actually existed, because then he would be guilty of tremendous violence and gross negligence. but he doesn't exist, so hating him would be a waste of time.

and yes, i'm extremely happy, because i have a loving family, a rewarding job, and i lead an honest life. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
And Icebergin - I know myself, and to think of my morality coming from within scares me to death.

christianty has such a misanthropic loathing of humanity.... You really can't imagine that a person couldn't be moral on his own?

And yet you 'love' people? You love them, but you see them as worthless.... methinks there's a contradiction there somewhere.... 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
(sigh)  And

(sigh)  And again...

Belief or non-belief has little to do with ones individual happiness or their emotions.  The ability to feel is not tied to a deity.  The ability to appreciate life and the wonders of nature are not tied to a deity.  The ability to be moral is not tied to a belief in a deity.

My personal life is none of your business but yes, I have children, yes, I love them very much, yes, overall I am very happy, no, I do not need a belief in a god to do that. 

May I ask you something?  You mentioned that you have 10-15 atheist friends....are they unhappy?  do they lack the ability to feel?  are they immoral? 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I personally feel proud

I personally feel proud that my morality comes from within.  It means much more to be kind when you are doing it for kindness sake, and not for fear of punishment. 

Remember, morality is subjective.  It differs from culture to culture. 

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes, I can imagine it. 

Yes, I can imagine it. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your posts are coming

Your posts are coming across as very arrogant and smug. With this type of attitude there are bound to be many irritated posters.

Initially I was mistaken when reading your first post. I honestly thought you might be a theist who would give fellow humans a little more credit even though we do not hold the same religious beliefs. I was wrong.

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Thanks. I learned a lot.

Glad you are learning.

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I wonder if any of these people answering my question have ever been adopted and never had the chance to meet their biological parents.

No.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I wonder if any of them have endured tremendous suffering or pain, or almost died before.
Yes, three times. Menengitis, being hit by a car as a pedestrian, kidney infection. All three times doctors who worked hard and studied helped me, not prayer.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I wonder if any of them have experienced the horrible pain of birthing a baby and explained the "rush" in mere physiological terms.
No, I am male.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I wonder if any of them have ever looked into the beautiful eyes of their son or daughter and been able to live with the notion that this person doesn't really mean anything at all.
My son means everything to me and to infer otherwise because of lack of religious belief is ignorant. This question is going to piss off many people here, you have a very smug attitude in this inquiry.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
No! To ASSume so is highly prideful.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Can they really live this way and be happy?
Yes!
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
What do they say to a toddler who slaps another child..
Do not do that, that hurts the other child and you would not like it if someone did that to you.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
or runs in the street into oncoming traffic..
Do not do that because the cars are travelling at such speeds you will likely be very hurt.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
or what do they say to their child who has been utterly shamed in front of other people if their lives don't matter for anything more than existence?
Shamed how? I talk to him about people, and things people say.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Yes, you do not need magic friends to have dignity and purpose. You had a magic friend once I am sure, when you quit believing in him I am sure you didn't lose your dignity or purpose. The magic friend... Santa Clause.
goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I do not hold to this definition. I am a agnostic atheist, I do not know if there is a god out there somewhere, but until I have been shown valid evidence I am not going to invoke one either. I can tell you though... the christian god certainly does not exist.

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
And Icebergin - I know myself, and to think of my morality coming from within scares me to death. We are very different I guess.

Why? Would you do immoral things if you were certain there is no God? You don't want to hold yourself accountable for your actions? What?

Let me put it to you like this: I may have thoughts of causing harm upon people to anger me for whatever reason, but because I know I would regret it and it would solve nothing, I don't do that. Or I could be rich if I robbed a bank, but I would have to deal with the consequences and I would be taking something that didn't belong to me. I wouldn't feel good about myself if I did that, so I don't do it.

What would scare you about holding yourself accountable for your actions? Or are we having a miscommunication here?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
goodlikeamedicine

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
Yes, I can imagine it.

Yet you hold that people are in fact worthless on their own...

That's not loving people. That's pitying them.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
And Icebergin - I know

And Icebergin - I know myself, and to think of my morality coming from within scares me to death.  We are very different I guess. 

Whether you like it or not your morality does not come from your religion. This is an illusion. Morality is an evolutionary function, instinctively generated by a brain mechanism called plastic synapse genesis. It is heavily slanted towards societal norms and inherent brain functions like altruism. So deeply is this function encoded into our brains that we do not have full control over it. And many people operate under the delusion that it is their own free will generating it.  You are literally trying to fight every piece of neurological and sociological evidence in stating morality comes from anyone else.

Furthermore, religious institutions do not teach morality, rather obedience, so presuming that morality comes from anywhere else would be false.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Morality is an

Quote:
Morality is an evolutionary function, instinctively generated by a brain mechanism called plastic synapse genesis. It is heavily slanted towards societal norms and inherent brain functions like altruism.

I did not know that, I figured it was more of an envriomental factor. Thanks, deludedgod! Awesome post!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: You know

pariahjane wrote:

You know 10-15 atheists?  That's kind of interesting.  What denomination of religion are you?  Do you live in the South?  North?  Just curious.

I'm sure you're very busy answering everyone's posts, but I'd really appreciate it if you can please answer my question that is above.

Thanks!

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I

pariahjane wrote:

I personally feel proud that my morality comes from within. It means much more to be kind when you are doing it for kindness sake, and not for fear of punishment.

Bingo. External morality is really just obedience, and obedience is often nothing more than mere prudence.

Obey me, or be punished.

Obey me, and be rewarded.

If the punishment is dangerous enough, you'll give in. How is that praiseworthy?

If the reward is powerful enough, you'll follow my bidding.

How is that praiseworthy?

The psychologist Kohlberg demonstrates that action taken for the sake of punishment or reward (external morality) is the most immature of all possible moral sytems. It is the morality of young children, incapable of moral reasoning on their own.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/christians_must_steal_from_secular_morality

Christians, in order to actually be moral, must steal their morals from secular sytems. My essay above demonstrates that.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
wonder if any of them have

wonder if any of them have ever looked into the beautiful eyes of their son or daughter and been able to live with the notion that this person doesn't really mean anything at all.   

This is the most basic error in the whole of axiology, and is a nonsensical assumption. In the context of teleology, of course someone has no meaning. However, to speak of life/purpose in such a context (as you do) would be absurd to the highest degree.

Also, I find your attitude extremely petty, arrogant and condescending. 

No this is absurd.

Can they really live this way and be happy?W

-It is better to grasp the universe as reality than to cling to delusions, however satisfying. -Carl Sagan 

hat do they say to a toddler who slaps another child or runs in the street into oncoming traffic , or what do they say to their child who has been utterly shamed in front of other people if their lives don't matter for anything more than existence? 

This is a direct and shameless non sequiter. How can you think like this? 

Yes, of course it does. This is an absurd thing for a Christian to say, because religion is extremely belittling to life, the deranged nonsense of Christian theology teaches us to despise the mortal flesh with all our hearts. It teaches us this life is a meaningless interlude to the so-called next life, the favor of which is at the hand of a God who is portrayed as a filicidal, deranged maniac who enjoys watching a significant majority of his creations being roasted alive for eternity.

You seem to be deluded into thinking people have to believe the absurd to be happy. 

I guess with my question (which I now see is a different question indeed) was backed by me wanting to hear someone here say that they have been humbled by the "unexplainable" and that they were still happy to say that there is absolutely nothing out there beyond what they can see.  I find it highly amusing that a religious person would even think to bring up miracles considering that the only institutution which actually produces miracles is science (and it does it on a daily basis)! 

-Me

Books about atheism

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:  

deludedgod wrote:

Whether you like it or not your morality does not come from your religion. This is an illusion.

Quite true, my essay above demonstrates that. In fact, the bible can only undermine actual morality. Here's a brief excerpt:

The bible actually undermines the concept of morality. It holds that

1) All 'sins' are equivalent. (Do you think stealing a pencil is the same as rape? Both are sins worthy of hell in christianity)

2) All positive moral behavior is immaterial, because works cannot save a person.

3) There is an infinite reward for blind obedience (heaven) which undermines any intrinsic motivations for behavior. If you are doing something 'good' for an infinite reward, well then, you're receiving far more back than you're giving!

4) There is an infinite punishment for disobedience, which is a mockery of justice, seeing as a) an omnipotent creator and sustainer must be perfectly, ultimately responsible for all actions (See my entry on the incoherence of god and the problem of evil) and b) no finite act by a finite being can logically incur 'infinite punishment', seeing as 'punishment' itself is necessarily finite in nature (i.e. punishment is defined as the addition of an aversive stimuli, or removal of a pleasant stimuli, that alters future behavior).

5) Finally, the bible claims that all people are damned from birth simply by being born, meaning that man is thoroughly invalidated as a moral agent. This is a mockery of justice and reason itself.

Quote:

Morality is an evolutionary function, instinctively generated by a brain mechanism called plastic synapse genesis. It is heavily slanted towards societal norms and inherent brain functions like altruism. So deeply is this function encoded into our brains that we do not have full control over it.

This presents a real philosophical dilemma... I do think that we are more than the sum total of our evolutionary drives... however, there's no doubt that this plays a fundamental role in our moral systems.... 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: wonder if any of

Quote:

wonder if any of them have ever looked into the beautiful eyes of their son or daughter and been able to live with the notion that this person doesn't really mean anything at all.

This is actually a problem for the christian, who tells us that all people are loathsome, unable to save themselves, and worthy only of eternal damnation.

The atheist, however, is fully free to create any meaning he wishes  for himself, free from the vile, misanthropic vision of christianity.

"Take a look at what you dare to call a moral code: Your code begins by damning man as evil, then demands that he practice a good, which is defined as what is impossible for him to practice. It demands that he accept his own depravity without proof. It demands that he start with a standard of evil, which is himself. The name of this monstrous absurdity is "original sin".

(However) if man is evil by birth then he has no will, no power to change it. If he has not will, then he can be neither good nor evil. to hold man’s nature as his sin, is a mockery of justice. To hold him guilty in a matter where no innocence can possibly exist is a mockery of reason.

To destroy nature, morality, justice and reason by means of a single concept is a feat of evil hardly to be matched.

- John Galt, adressing the world by radio, in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Your concept of what

Your concept of what atheism, as well as theism, actually are is wrong. If you want to know why, read some of the articles and FAQs here and on other sites. Watch some explanations on YouTube. That is, if you are sincere about wanting to understand. If, however, you think asking questions is the thin side to a wedge of proselytizing to a captive audience, you are deeply mistaken.

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I don't know what aspect of

I don't know what aspect of my questions came through as petty, belitting, arrogant because I was honestly wondering the answers to them.  I was not implying that atheists have no morals.    Surely atheists have moral standards.
I live in the South, and I am Baptist.  I have been other things, but I am a Baptist, and my husband is a pastor.  I am sorry that you think I am arrogant.
I do not believe for a minute that humans are of no worth.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Your concept

magilum wrote:
Your concept of what atheism, as well as theism, actually are is wrong.

I find her posts to be a projection of what she thinks about theism and atheism. She's focused almost entirely on emotions, on how a belief makes one feel, what matters is whether one is happy or sad.

So she's let us know that for her, these decisions are based on emotions... religion makes you happy! Atheism is sad! If you are angry, you'll 'hate god'... if you are happy, you'll love god. We can call it the 'god of circumstance': It's the 'god' of Elie Wiesel - when you're in the concentration camp, there is no god. If you survive the camp - thank god!

Another way to see it: as we all remember from childhood, 'make believe' is fun; the real world is sad.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline

goodlikeamedicine wrote:
I live in the South, and I am Baptist.  I have been other things, but I am a Baptist, and my husband is a pastor.  I am sorry that you think I am arrogant.

I'm just curious how you've come to know so many atheists.  I live in a relatively secular-ish part of the states and I don't know that many atheists personally (people on this site excluded).  Are they still atheists or are these people recent converts?

I appreciate you answering my questions.  Thanks again!

magilum
User is offlineOffline
wonder if any of them have

What a crass debasement of the human experience. Humanity is the most intelligent and creative species on the entire planet. No other species has been able to build upon its knowledge so thoroughly generation after generation. We are able to empathize and learn how to cooperate in sophisticated ways. We are working toward our own betterment, more tolerant attitudes, more humane practices. I see meaning in the thing in itself. The human experience, human improvement, fulfilling our potential. You would attribute all of this to something external, unproven and unnecessary. I would not. That is the difference between you and I.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline

goodlikeamedicine wrote:

You contradict yourself on this point. Christian concepts of human worth are inherently contradictory...

You hold that man is a creation of a god (special)

who is also error prone, and damned from birth (worthless)

who can be saved (special)

but not through his own power (worthless)

This is the christian view of man: utterly confused, contradictory... both humble and yet utterly narcissistic... Woody Allen has a better sense of his self worth than a christian has of man's worth....

goodlikeamedicine
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Magilum, I am sincere.  I

Magilum, I am sincere.  I wanted to know more about individuals and how you are happy as atheists in your own experience.   Todangst, I will take time to read your essay.  My quick response about obedience is that for me my efforts to try to be a good person come from the gratitude I have for waking up and breathing every day and not getting what I deserve.  And my gratitude comes from receiving pure mercy with no strings attached (yes, this could seem to mock justice but in a totally different sense) from the one who could punish me but decided not to.  I realize this is a foreign concept to someone who dismisses the notion that we are accountable to someone other than ourselves.    How does rescuing someone without a life jacket from a sinking ship prove them to be worthless?
I'm not trying to cop-out, but I have some little children that need my attention now.  Have a nice day all. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Attention! I was curious so

Attention!

I was curious so I did a little Google searching for "good like medicine".

This is what I found:

Her Blog 

Read the most recent post about the conference and the blasphemy challenge.