"Battle Cry" -- Marketing Christian Fundamentalism to Teens

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Battle Cry" -- Marketing Christian Fundamentalism to Teens

This is a very disturbing video on "Battle Cry," some ministry by a fundamentalist nutjob trying to brainwash kids into militaristic Christian fundamentalism. He's manipulating kids with emotional appeals and merchandising. This, friends, is the kind of "child abuse" discussed by Dawkins, in "The God Delusion."

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rollingstone.com/

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/14021621/teenage_holy_war/1

Above is a great link to a Rolling Stone article on this movement.  It is only an excerpt.  I have the full article and would scan it if anyone wants the rest of it.

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
These are the future plane

These are the future plane hijackers of America. Ron Luce is not being honest here. It's very clear from the Battle Cry marketing that he's training an army to fight a holy war. It's almost funny how that one girl claims this is all just about coming together with people of like interests and not political, and then within the same sentence, proceeds to describe their political activities. Battle Cry recruits thousands of new teen soldiers a year. This truly is the face of the enemy.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
doctoro: This is a little

doctoro: This is a little off-topic, but I recommend you rent this movie and watch it: The Second Coming. I don't want to tell you why, but I'd like to discuss it with you after you've seen it in full. Smiling  If you don't want to see it, that's cool, too.  Something you said made me think it would be of interest to you.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
This isn't any different

This isn't any different from the experiences I had growing up in a fundamentalist Christian home. Watching this, I was again thinking of strategies for combatting the influence of religion. It's so pervasive and so well-accepted in this society that our work is cut out for us.

Humor will help. It's a wonderful thing that shows like The Simpsons, South Park and Family Guy have openly criticized religion. South Park went a little freaky on Richard Dawkins, but what the fuck. I don't always agree with everything South Park preaches. They're irreverent for the sake of being irreverent and that's fine with me.

I think it was Sam Harris that told the story of how someone undercover in the KKK leaked all the secret passwords and freaky Klan customs and they ended up on the weekly Superman TV show. The KKK never recovered. Ridicule done in an extremely funny way totally rules. I'm just wondering if there are ways we can help the comedic endeavor. Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MisterDax
User is offlineOffline
The rally in the end showed

The rally in the end showed how full of shii-at the Bafflecry-group was. They are protesting to take away freedom and liberties of others and still claim that they don't want others to be like them.

Also, the counter-protesters were right about them being anti-choise. On the other hand, all religion is anti-choise.

By the way, I do not believe for one second that the fundy bitch in the beginning have ever had sex or done drugs or even being depressed. Like all cults, they just demonise their own non-cultist past.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm starting to wonder if I

I'm starting to wonder if I should stock up on weapons.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
After seeing all that pricey

After seeing all that pricey merchandise, I have to wonder - is that guy really motivated by deep-seated beliefs, or rather by the dollar signs?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
<p><object width="425"

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I'm starting

Vastet wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if I should stock up on weapons.

I think I have to agree with you. 

This man is evil.  He's blatantly giving false information and glossing over the details to make these kids think there is some sort of revolution going on.  I'm absolutely appalled that this man is getting away with this. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
This made me sick... How can

This made me sick... How can these people still exist... I'm sadden'd by the sightless....

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
This has to be one of

This has to be one of the more 'hip-trendy-cool' productions that is completely lacking in any value.

If this shit was any slicker, you would have diarrhoea.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.