Imus & racism today

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Imus & racism today

I'm curious what this group has to say about Imus.  You guys are opinionated so I'd love to hear it... 

After reading what happened on the Imus morning show and then after he looked ridiculous with Sharpton, I am of the opinion he should be fired. What he said was very wrong and and think of it if I was at a job and I told an afro-american woman she was a "nappy headed ho" I wouldn't have a job by that evening.

What got me wondering though, should this be a one way street? How is it that while I'm barking about Imus, more don't bark about comments from hip-hop artists, Dave Chappelle, or others that do the same but against other races? Either we accept them all or we accept none. If you want to call it racist, why not call ALL of these types of comments racist and demand the same kind of apologies and/or actions against all celebrities who say really stupid things like this?

So it got me thinking...how do you define racism today?

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have class tonight and I

I have class tonight and I can't wait to hear what everyone will have to say about this.  Rutgers is a pretty diversified University.

Anyway, I think the difference between Imus and Dave Chappelle, for example, is that Dave Chappelle is using racism in a comedic context.  He uses racism to point out stereotypes.  Have you ever seen The Boondocks?  I would even venture to say that others get away with it because of 'artistic license'. Imus, on the other hand, is supposed to be a commentator of sorts, a reporter in a broad sense.  At least, that's my understanding of it. Plus, the comment was a bit inflammatory. 

Disliking someone based soley on the color of their skin is stupid.  It just doesn't make sense.  Everyone has their prejudices, but to flat out despise a group of people purely because of their race, gender, sexual orientation or religion (or lack therof) is just plain dumb.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uhh, I'm on the wrong side

Uhh, I'm on the wrong side of the world.  Who/what is Imus?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Background for those who

Background for those who may not know what's going on:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/18035749/ 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't really pay much

I don't really pay much attention to off hand comments. Only if someone is grating and repetitive does it bother me. The outcry over this and the Kramer incident seems over the top to me. But then, racism isn't something I come across very often. I've really never understood hatred of a group because of something as irrelevant as skin colour.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vanguard
Vanguard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find it ironic that the

I find it ironic that the usual suspects (Jackson and Sharpton) are the leaders of the charge to have him fired when they both have made far more outrageous racial remarks.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
comedy or not I don't

comedy or not I don't believe anyone should be making these kinds of comments.  I don't find Chappelle funny in the slightest when he starts insulting whites; it's poor taste because he knows no one will complain.  I still say we shouldn't allow such a double standard to exist.  Either these comments are all good or all bad.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would have to agree with

I would have to agree with you.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its a publicity stunt

Its a publicity stunt

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I'm

razorphreak wrote:

I'm curious what this group has to say about Imus. You guys are opinionated so I'd love to hear it...

After reading what happened on the Imus morning show and then after he looked ridiculous with Sharpton, I am of the opinion he should be fired. What he said was very wrong and and think of it if I was at a job and I told an afro-american woman she was a "nappy headed ho" I wouldn't have a job by that evening.

What got me wondering though, should this be a one way street? How is it that while I'm barking about Imus, more don't bark about comments from hip-hop artists, Dave Chappelle, or others that do the same but against other races? Either we accept them all or we accept none. If you want to call it racist, why not call ALL of these types of comments racist and demand the same kind of apologies and/or actions against all celebrities who say really stupid things like this?

There are several factors to this.

1. Imus grew up in a time period where such comments had no consequences. This isn't an excuse but nearly every person I have ever met in this age bracket tends to just say it without thinking. Here in Indiana where the KKK has deep roots, it's hard to get away from. It's everything I can do not to fly off the handle. 

2. Children nowadays aren't taught of their ancestorial history, let alone much of any OTHER history. When they're using such phrases with little to no correction it eventually becomes "popular."

3. Pop culture in the 80's and 90's had a lot to do with the "ho" attitudes spurring from music that came from an angry culture of young men tired of the system and their environments and a number of other factors. Women weren't the cause of the problem, just an easy target. Dr. Dre, Easy-E, Ghetto Boys all come to mind. 

4.  Women have attempted for centuries to be considered equal to men but the Judeo-Christian view of submissive femininity is a stereotype that I still see today in women even in their 20's and even recent reality television shows (i.e. the wife swap with Jinxie comes to mind) show how religion still encourages such behavior in women. As long as society and religion portrays them in a weak light it will always be a factor...just take a look at the early suffragettes and read some of the writings by the Grimke sisters who questioned the very foundations of Christianity and it's continual oppression of women. Mary Daly quite aptly points out that until the paternalistic and masculine ideology of "god" and a "male" savior is removed, it will never cease. The more I learn the more I believe this view is very much on target. 

5. Students need to be taught both civics and humanities. I've attempted to address the situation with every representative in the state of Indiana and every attempt was thrown back in my face. The ex pro tem said that I should "visit other countries to see what racism is..." when I told him of a friend who was told just last year that her little boy wasn't allowed to play with another because their races were different.  How's that for addressing the issue? The only two individuals who responded was a black representative from Merriville and my own rep who is Jewish and both agreed with me but said they have, too, tried without luck. No one else thought it was important. Until we take action to teach our children proper behavior when our adults show such callous behavior of their own and likewise teach it, it's pointless.  

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Don Imus is just an asshat.

Don Imus is just an asshat. I'm not even sure he's really a racist - he's probably doing it for the attention. Still not acceptable. If anyone is a "hoe", he is!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I'm

razorphreak wrote:

I'm curious what this group has to say about Imus. You guys are opinionated so I'd love to hear it...

I tottally dissagree. If we are going to go after Imus or anyone who ever "offended" anyone, we'd all be silenced. If you understand the context of the history of his show, and others like him, such as Howard Stern, or shows like South Park, you'd understand that it was just a joke. Maybe a bad joke, maybe not well delivered or explained.

If Imus were a truely hatefull person such as say a Fred Phelps I doubt seriously he would have survived in corperate media as long as he has. 

The same sensorship crap was aimed at people like Larry Flint about indencency. The creators of "Married with Children" were attacked and accused of being "offensive" toward women.

Where has this country gone? Are that sensitive that we cant take a joke? Atheists are demonized constantly by mass media, and those who truely hate us should be faught. But I am damn sure not going to demand a boycot or removal of South Park because they dipicted atheists as pooping out of their mouths. I am not going to demand that that Comedy Central remove South Park because they depicted Richard Dawkins as screwing Mrs. Garrison.

Badly deliverd joke? Maybe. But Iso what. How much do we here crack on religion left and right? Who the fuck is anyone here to decide what is truely hatefull vs a merely "offensive " joke.

Being offensive does not make one hatefull. It merely means someone didnt like what you said. I do get tired of people in general, be they atheist or theist demanding that we never fart in public. If we ourselves value the freedom to say controversal things ourselves, and we do, then we must afford the same rights to those who might offend us.

If there is anything that I truely hate, it is the idea that the silence of others who might offend you is a solution to solving social division.

"I may vehemetly dissagree with what you have to say, but will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltair.

With freedom comes responsibility. Being a baby about life is not responsibility. Wanting people to get along should not come at the cost of telling others that taboos must exist in order to maintain peace.

Imus is a coward in my eyes. I would rather lose my job than bow to anyone who tells me that I sould be fired for a joke merely because it offended them when they are too insecure to take the time to understand the context of what was said.

I have had and still have Christian friends who joke about my atheism. I dont demand every time they make a joke about it, that they be fired. If they truely hated me, that would be different.

I do worry about this growing culture of creating taboos because people cant take a joke. It seems that only media like Comedy Central still has the balls to make fun of life without fear. 

Manciea makes fun of Hispanics. John Stewart makes fun of Jews.  "This Week In God" has made fun of every religion. They even have fake Arab reporter. No one would accuse those writers or John Stewart of being racist.  

Imus was not being racist. He merely told a joke that offended someone else. SO THE FUCK WHAT! Life goes on. 

If anyone here honestly thinks taboos are the way to solve social problems just think about how much we criticise and make fun of Christianity here. Do  you hate all Christians because you joke about what they believe?

I say stop worring about being offended. There is always someone or something that will eventually "offend". The way to handle it is to adress weither someone really hates you, or see if it merely is your own insecurities that cause you to react.

There is a huge differance between a Christian who really hates me, and a friend or co-worker who says, "Brian you are going to burn in hell". CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT!

I fear for any country who makes walking on eggshells manditory. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Imus Is A Warning, By

Imus Is A Warning, By Brian37

Imus confess

Under diress

Freedom at risk

From the politically correct

They falsely accuse

Those with no ill will

Merly offended

By their own insecurities

Stern is how weird

We all behaive

We joke about others

But ourselves off limits?

If Imus condemn

What about others

Stewart the Heb

And Manciea the Beaner?

Oh South Park

They be the worst

Dipicting atheists

Feces out of our mouths

Three cheers

For taboo defenders

Dont fart in public

You might offend someone

Have we all lost

Our sense of humor

Have well lost laughter

Our best armor?

If out of hate

Something is said

Infinatly seperate

Than that said in jest

Imus confess

I fear for freedom

Voltair is dying

And so is reason

I cant relate

To those who hate

But even less

To demands of silence

Imus confess

I barbaque kittens

I have no god

And howel at the moon

And somewhere too

There is an Apu

Serving Slurpees

For me and you

And Elton John

Loves Formula One

The Poll Position

He thinks is fun

Oh my God

I make a joke

Call CNN

IT'S PART OF LIFE

No one should

Advocate hate

But jokes about life

Should not meet this fate

Imus confess

Is this the end

Are we all fine crystal

Never to be jostled?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian you do make a good

Brian you do make a good point and I agree with part of what you say in that today's society looks to be offended; many are far too sensitive.  But let me repeat the question then for you...how do you define racism today?

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
Either Imus is a racist or

Either Imus is a racist or his tongue is not attached to his brain. I could believe either one. I would never have known his show was supposed to be comedy if he hadn't said so. The small amount of it I ever watched never gave me the tiniest giggle.

I do know that Imus is full of shit with his apologies though. If it really was comedy as he says, there is nothign to apologize for. But now that he's appologized it's hard to say it was just comedy.

He got on TV with Al Sharpton and appologized for what he did but defended himself in doing it at the same time. How can an apology be sincere if he doesn't think did anything wrong? If he has done something wrong, why is he defending it?

Al Sharpton stuck his foot in his mouth though with the comment that ALL uses of the term "ho" should be fought. Trying to stop everyone from ever using it is censorship and unacceptable. The end.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Brian

razorphreak wrote:
Brian you do make a good point and I agree with part of what you say in that today's society looks to be offended; many are far too sensitive. But let me repeat the question then for you...how do you define racism today?

Racism is blind hatred out of ignorance. Fred Phelps is a racist and a bigot. Imus merely said something that offended some.

I see racism(bigotry) as hate fueled by needless fear. Some Christians are "racist" toward atheist. By "racist" I dont mean skin color but it still fits the same catigory of "hate" for the sake of "hate".

There are atheists as well who "hate" for the sake of hate and aim that hate blindly at ALL theists. NOT ALL ATHEISTS, mind you. Just a handfull.

And Muslims do it to Jews and Christians as well.

So "racism" to me merely means hate out of fear of the unknown. An irrational fear of the unknown.

I noticed that you are a theist. Now. I hope I can be blunt with you, for example and give you an example of context to demonstrate  "I wish you would die" hate. And the non hatefull context of "I'm going to give you a wedgie".

EXAMPLE ONLY!

"I hate all Christians"(and really mean it)

Is different than saying.

"Why cant Jesus hold M&Ms? Because they fall through the holes in his hands".

Is the same to me as the differance between.

"I hate all atheists"(and really mean it)

VS

"What do atheists talk about at meetings? Nothing?"

Or, "What is our favorite holiday? April Fool's day".

It depends who is saying it and the context of why they are saying it as well. 

There was an extreemly funny comedy movie back in the 70s called "Kentucky Fried Movie". One of the spoofs in it was making fun of Evil Kanevil(sp) the motor cycle dardevil.

In the spoof, insted of jumping something. The daredevil went into an ally were some blacks were playing craps. He disrupted the circle by stepping into the middle of the game and shouted the "N" word. He was in full motorcycle protection gear and helmet as the blacks chased him down the ally.

It also made fun of Bruce Lee movies with a spoof called, "A fist full of Yen".

One of the sceens had a government agent begging the asian spoof character to become a spy again.

Goverment agent, "Please, we really need you."

Bruce Lee spoof, " No, I dont do that anymore"

Goverment agent, "You'll have the oportunity to kill 50 or 60 men"

Bruce Lee spoof, "Ok".

My point is that a racist(bigot) has malicious intent in their words based on irrational fear. But the jokes above and the like in society dont automatically mean the people making them are racist. Most of the time when we poke fun like this as a pluralistic society we are marginalizing hatefull people by poking fun at their bigotry.

I hope that explains thing more. I just wish people could RELAX and know the difference between someone "offending " and actually "hating".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: comedy

razorphreak wrote:
comedy or not I don't believe anyone should be making these kinds of comments. I don't find Chappelle funny in the slightest when he starts insulting whites; it's poor taste because he knows no one will complain. I still say we shouldn't allow such a double standard to exist. Either these comments are all good or all bad.

Will you take a chill?

Holy crap! Chappelle is doing a great service to humanity by that kind of humor. What pisses me off is when blacks condemn him for it. It is brilliant to me. He is in no way demeaning all white people. He is marginalizing those ANYONE who'd really hate him for merely his skin color.

My best friend at my last job went to Falwell's college. She and I had many blunt and open debates about the existance of the Christian god. But when the shit hit the fan and work needed to be done all that was secondary. She cracked jokes about my atheism and I cracked jokes about Jesus. 

It would offend both her and I being on oposite sides of that particular issue for anyone to assume because others might be "offended", by our interactions with each other, that somehow we wanted to spit on each other's graves.

I AM TIRED OF PC BULLSHIT! If anyone truely hates me, that is one thing. But if they like me and are being blunt in debate, or if they are cracking a joke to make fun of bigotry, I welcome that. I value that. It says to me that they value the fact that we are all in the same boat. We all have flaws and foibles and we should all be able to laugh at ourselves. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Racism is

Brian37 wrote:
Racism is blind hatred out of ignorance. Fred Phelps is a racist and a bigot. Imus merely said something that offended some.

Racism is about one RACE considering themselves superior to another RACE.  It has nothing to do with lifestyle, opionions (bigotry), or gender trash talk.  We are talking about race here, not belief as well.

If what Chappelle says when he calls a white person "cracka" or a white person calls a black person "nappy headed", those aren't considered racist, well say that.  I don't care if it's a joke or not, why must we as a society say it's ok to say it here but not there?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Brian37

razorphreak wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Racism is about one RACE considering themselves superior to another RACE. It has nothing to do with lifestyle, opionions (bigotry), or gender trash talk. We are talking about race here, not belief as well.

If what Chappelle says when he calls a white person "cracka" or a white person calls a black person "nappy headed", those aren't considered racist, well say that. I don't care if it's a joke or not, why must we as a society say it's ok to say it here but not there?

Boy, if it were a snake it would have bitten you on the ass by now.

I already pointed out the obvious, "Context"! Please dont make me repeat myself.

Lets drop race and religion for a moment and talk about family.

Your brother, sister, or mom ticks you off in a given situation. You dont make a blanket decision to always hold your tounge.

Just as the same as it would be ok to say "fuck" while you are watching an NFL game with close buddies, it would not be apropreate to say "fuck" at a funeral or wedding. But the mere usage of "fuck" should not be wiped out because some dipshit doesnt understand the context.

Dont  try to  make a panicia to bigotry and racisim at the cost of humor that combats it.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
And you make your point

And you make your point eloquently regarding the sensitivity of people and what they are offended by.  But that's not what I'm asking...I'm asking about racism and racism ONLY.  I'm Latino and even if someone said they were joking, calling me a "wetback" is not something I appreciate.  That's a racist remark.  As is "craka" when regarding someone Caucasian, and so is "nappy headed" when regarding someone afro-american.  That make sense?  Now why should we allow it, even in a joking tone?  Is it right to insult a race even as a joke?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
So you dont like Carlos

So you dont like Carlos Mancia?

Well that would be where you and I part company if "Wetback" offends you in all contexts .

So all Hispanics represent you? No matter weither they are from Mexico or Cuba?

That would be like me blaming all the hate of atheists on Madolyn O'Hair.

"Wetback"  "Beaner" is the same to me as "Godless" or "Infedel" it still depends on context.

You dont speak for all hispanics just because you have a personal beef with usage.

AGAIN, if the usage is confirmed as being used as blanket condamnation I WOULD AGREE.

But if the same word be it "atheist|" or "wetback" is used to defuse or marginalize or make fun of bigotry, I absolutly support it.

Just as I dont speak for all white people. You dont speek for all Hispanics. Just as Reggie|(Infidel Guy) doesnt speak for all blacks, or all atheists.

My point is you seem to want to ban anything remotely controversial because some might not understand context.

I think insecure people tend to want to ban everything at all costs. 

"I have been picked on" so you claim.

Ok, so have I. But there is a differance between those who hate you picking on you and those who like you who pick on you.

But I am not about to group the people who pick on me who like me with the people who pick on me who dont like me who happen to use the same wording. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
No you got it wrong. 

No you got it wrong.  Carlos Mencia just as Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy crack jokes because that's their profession.  But even they take it too far.  We condone racism but let it exist and call it "jokes"?  Is that right?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: No you

razorphreak wrote:
No you got it wrong. Carlos Mencia just as Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy crack jokes because that's their profession. But even they take it too far. We condone racism but let it exist and call it "jokes"? Is that right?

BULLSHIT.

How more bluntly do I have to put it.

1. Racism bad! I agree|!

2. Cracking jokes is part of life.

You seem to no be able to disern between a joke and racism.

In all seriousness. If you cant laugh at yourself. If you cant understand when someone is laughing at the bigotry aimed at you vs some asshole who actually hates you, I see you as just as ignorant as the idoits who hate you.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian I understand the

Brian I understand the difference but I'm asking, is...it...right?  Should you joke about that and give an idiot like Imus the out to say it was "joking"....

You don't joke about certain subjects and I'm asking you...do you think this is one of those.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Brian I

razorphreak wrote:

Brian I understand the difference but I'm asking, is...it...right? Should you joke about that and give an idiot like Imus the out to say it was "joking"....

You don't joke about certain subjects and I'm asking you...do you think this is one of those.

I dont make blanket statements about what should or should not be said. As I said before and seem to have to repeat ad nausium, CONTEXT!

Imus, like him or not, like the joke or not, in the CONTEXT of what was said when it was said WAS MERELY JOKING!

Im not going to go round robin with you over something as stupid as others being way too sensitive. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Humour is too subjective to

Humour is too subjective to be an adequate argument against or for racial comments. What one finds hysterical another can find absolutely disgusting and unfunny. I personally think Chapelle saying cracker is just as bad as KKK members saying nigger. You can make fun of something without sinking to it's level.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Humour is too

Vastet wrote:
Humour is too subjective to be an adequate argument against or for racial comments. What one finds hysterical another can find absolutely disgusting and unfunny. I personally think Chapelle saying cracker is just as bad as KKK members saying nigger. You can make fun of something without sinking to it's level.

You'd be right if Chappell actually hated all white people. Then it would be as disqusting as a KKK member saying nigger.

Again you miss the context of WHY he is doing it. Chappel is making fun of racism and in that context I find it funny as hell. He isnt |"stooping" to their level at all. That is absurd.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

You'd be right if Chappell actually hated all white people. Then it would be as disqusting as a KKK member saying nigger.

Again you miss the context of WHY he is doing it. Chappel is making fun of racism and in that context I find it funny as hell. He isnt |"stooping" to their level at all. That is absurd.

I think you can make fun of racism without using racist slurs. That is stooping to their level. Except in the context of character portrayal, there's no valid use for such terms. Propogating them simply increases their use. It doesn't help anything.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I think you can make fun of racism without using racist slurs. That is stooping to their level. Except in the context of character portrayal, there's no valid use for such terms. Propogating them simply increases their use. It doesn't help anything.

Dont decide for me what I should or shouldnt say. Thats your personal comfort level.

In the context of what Chappel does it is perfectly fine and quite brilliant.  He isnt stooping to their level. Where the hell do you get that? 

Here is a simple idea. If you dont like what comedian does in their act, use your remote. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Dont decide

Brian37 wrote:
Dont decide for me what I should or shouldnt say. Thats your personal comfort level.

In the context of what Chappel does it is perfectly fine and quite brilliant. He isnt stooping to their level. Where the hell do you get that?

Here is a simple idea. If you dont like what comedian does in their act, use your remote.

No one is bashing your freedom to say or do what you want.  That's part of the beauty of America.  But just like you can't yell fire in the middle of a crowded room, should you yell racial slurs and say it was a stroke of brilliance no matter the context?  It has nothing to do with comedy, being a smart ass, or anything else under the sun; it's a lack of respect to other races to even use those words or think they are funny because no amount of brilliance justifies insulting a race. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I mostly have to agree with

I mostly have to agree with razorphreak. Not that it is the same as yelling "fire" in a crowded thaeter - it isn't dangerous if people behave. I think if the FCC intervened it would be wrong, but the companies that own the stations have an expectation to not overduely offend people - look how some large companies have dropped sponsorship - and people not listening or even going so far as boycotting affects advertisers bottom line. And when that happens it affects the stations bottom line, and they are in business to make money. If he can find a station or podcast that agrees with him, fine, he can say what he wants.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
How very wrong I was;

How very wrong I was; they've canceled the show.

It was not a publicity stunt.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Brian37

razorphreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

In the context of what Chappel does it is perfectly fine and quite brilliant. He isnt stooping to their level. Where the hell do you get that?

No one is bashing your freedom to say or do what you want. That's part of the beauty of America. But just like you can't yell fire in the middle of a crowded room, should you yell racial slurs and say it was a stroke of brilliance no matter the context? It has nothing to do with comedy, being a smart ass, or anything else under the sun; it's a lack of respect to other races to even use those words or think they are funny because no amount of brilliance justifies insulting a race.

By your standards Rational Responders  shouldnt have this website. Everyone here must hate all Christians based on your attitude.

I am glad you had no hand in writing the United States Constitution. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: By your

Brian37 wrote:
By your standards Rational Responders shouldnt have this website. Everyone here must hate all Christians based on your attitude.

I am glad you had no hand in writing the United States Constitution.

you still don't understand.  criticizing someone else's beliefs vs. their race are not one and the same.  Opinions can vary about a belief but no one can do anything about the race they were born as and ANY reference to a race that is demeaning, joke or not, should not happen.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Dont decide

Brian37 wrote:

I never decided you should say anything. I stated my opinion on the matter. Don't put words in my mouth.

Brian37 wrote:
In the context of what Chappel does it is perfectly fine and quite brilliant.

Sometimes. Other times it's plain stupid.  

Brian37 wrote:
He isnt stooping to their level.

He is.

Brian37 wrote:
Where the hell do you get that?

Reality.

Brian37 wrote:

I do. You can do the same for some KKK channel. I still have a right to an opinion. Don't try to tell me I don't.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: razorphreak

Brian37 wrote:
razorphreak wrote:

Brian I understand the difference but I'm asking, is...it...right? Should you joke about that and give an idiot like Imus the out to say it was "joking"....

I dont make blanket statements about what should or should not be said. As I said before and seem to have to repeat ad nausium, CONTEXT!

Imus, like him or not, like the joke or not, in the CONTEXT of what was said when it was said WAS MERELY JOKING!

Im not going to go round robin with you over something as stupid as others being way too sensitive. 

Okay, the context of the offending statement was a basketball game being played by young women doubtless of good character and not individually in the public eye. It was not in the context of a comedy show where both the person making the statement and the object of the statement were in on the gag. You are right that context is important, but this was the wrong time and place and those young players were the wrong people. The context was completely wrong. 
Don Imus was right when he said he'd been insulting people for over thirty years. I used to listen to him on the radio when I lived in Southern California. But his targets were public figures who expected to be lampooned, not college girls nobody outside their basketball league had heard of before Imus' demeaning remarks. Anyway, when I heard Imus years ago the strongest term he used for anybody he was harpooning was "weasel." The clearly racial comments the other day were out of left field. Too bad for everybody involved they didn't have a three second delay, as they do on some live broadcasts.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a really good

This is a really good article....

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: This is

razorphreak wrote:

This is a really good article....

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

Link doesn't work. I got:

Unfortunately we are unable to locate the page you have requested. This could be due to content on our site having expired, a broken link, an outdated bookmark, or a mistyped address. Please use the navigation provided on this page, or click here to visit our home page.

Is there any chance it was an AP piece? Any chance you could Google it and find it somewhere else?

Thanks!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

GUNT
Silver Member
GUNT's picture
User is offlineOffline

the link had some extra characters after the .html

It is here http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

I must say I have no idea what "cracka" "ho" or "nappie headed" means as they are not terms in the Australian or New Zealand vernacula.

Cracka in Australia means good or bonza while a nappie is what I think Americans call a diaper so neither offend me. I guess it is all in the context. That said I don't think anyone should use language that belittles a fellow human... We are all equal surely?

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do think Imus was an

I do think Imus was an idiot for thinking that joke would pass through unchecked, but I think the punishment was too harsh. That being said, I wonder where all the outrage is when something like this happens:

http://www.break.com/index/double_standard.html

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
This has been a very

This has been a very interesting debate to read! Brian is correct in saying context is usually considered when defining a racist statement, however, Razorphreak, you seem to be asking for a clear answer to defining "context". HA! If someone could do that the number of lawsuits in this country would drop significantly.

Should he have been fired for that statement? As far as I know, most companies reserve the right to dismiss an employee for this type of behavior. The entertainment industry profits from this so their rules are a little more vague on it. It comes down to worship of the almighty dollar.

On a side note, technically his statement was incorrect anyway. Those women can well afford hairstylists and none of them can be classified as "hos" using the most common definition found in Urban Dictionary (here)

LOL

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
GUNT wrote: the link had

GUNT wrote:

the link had some extra characters after the .html

It is here http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

*sigh*  The article was written by Jason Whitlock who is primarily a sports guy here in Kansas City. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: *sigh* The

Susan wrote:
*sigh* The article was written by Jason Whitlock who is primarily a sports guy here in Kansas City.

He's very right on though...