WOTM and self esteem

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
WOTM and self esteem

I just left Christianity a couple of years ago and I am lucky enough to have seen what's growing on both sides of the fence.

I know everyone sees Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson and people laugh it off, because everyone (including some Christians) sees them as weird fanatics.

The scary thing about this is that some athiests and free thinkers might get too comfortable because of those bufoons like Falwell out there make our case. But they have better weapons now.

Enter "Way of the Master." Todd Friel is a lively presence. He has youth, education and charisma on his side. We think he loses every debate because we don't agree with him, but there are many young people who do agree with him and believe he reigns victorious.

I'm telling athiests not to underestimate him or his effect on people. Now, I'm not saying he's devious, in fact I believe he is totally sincere in his work and he seems like a decent person.

Even Ray Comfort, though I disagree with him, seems to be a nice fellow who's easy to listen to. But this is where it gets scary:

The scary element is, before people were using candy-coated love to draw people into Christianity. Those days are gone.

These WOTM guys use a reverse angle of guilt and "you're evil according to God" and "no, you're not a good person"

We have seen through crime and brutality, the ramifications that occur when you tell children they're no good and they're evil. Low self esteem many times has led to the most evil actions carried out by men.

Psychologists have pleaded the case that instilling a low self esteem causes many destructive habits in human behavior.

This ministry, though they appear as likeable and down to earth guys, are corrupting young people by telling them "they're not a good person" and that they "technically deserve to go to hell."

This is a new and dangerous strain of the evangelical pandemic. It's actually not new, it's mixing evangelicalism with a touch of catholic guilt, so a new twist on an old formula.

I'm just saying that being a Christian before, I see the writings on the wall. Don't take any freedoms for granted. Watch out for them more than anyone on the scene right now. And maybe tell your children at night that they are good kids...

Danhalen
User is offlineOffline
WOTM and self esteem

Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are not anything to be worried about. Their ploy only works if you already accept the premise of their argument. If you reject the primary axiom of WOTM, you're golden. Of course there is also Comfort's little "you're not really an atheist" and "the atheist's worst nightmare: the banana", both of which are as equally laughable as WOTM.

Does it suck for you to know that God only loves you because you're afraid he'll kick your ass if you don't believe in him?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
WOTM and self esteem

Yeah, they are silly. Fuck them in the ass with a chainsaw! Evil

Danhalen
User is offlineOffline
WOTM and self esteem

MattShizzle wrote:
Yeah, they are silly. Fuck them in the ass with a chainsaw! Evil
Twice.

Heathers, what a great movie.

Does it suck for you to know that God only loves you because you're afraid he'll kick your ass if you don't believe in him?

GrimJesta
GrimJesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
WOTM and self esteem

Watching Ray Comfort interview homosexuals was an exercise in restraint. Sure Ray, homosexuality is as bad as murder. Those big bad sinners.

I'm astounded by how many young people I see buying into his schtick. Welcome to the failures of our education system: he traps the people he interviews with half-truths and logical fallacies and MAN does he love the Strawman.

-=Grim=-

No Nyarlathotep, Know Peace.
Know Nyarlathotep, No Peace.