Our GREAT Missouri Legislators - NOT!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our GREAT Missouri Legislators - NOT!

Missouri House panel OKs bill to limit stem cell workBy Matt FranckPOST-DISPATCH JEFFERSON CITY BUREAU03/28/2007
JEFFERSON CITY — In a vote that some legislators angrily dismissed as invalid, a House committee approved legislation Tuesday that could largely overturn a new constitutional amendment protecting stem cell research.

The 5-0 vote by the House Healthcare Policy Committee took place even though legislators who oppose the measure had left the room to protest what they described as violations of House rules. Those critics say they will now demand that House leaders toss out Tuesday's vote.

"We feel the process was totally subverted today," said Rep. Rob Schaaf, R-St. Joseph, an opponent of the measure.

The dispute focuses on a resolution that would ask voters to ban all forms of human cloning, including research intended solely to produce embryonic stem cells. The proposed constitutional amendment would negate much of Amendment 2, approved narrowly by voters in November.

The resolution had stalled for weeks in a House committee, which has been deadlocked with five members in favor and five opposed. That balance shifted in favor of the measure Tuesday when Rep. Craig Bland, a Kansas City Democrat who opposes the bill, was absent.

Rep. Wayne Cooper, R-Camdenden, who heads the committee, capitalized on the absence to call for a vote. But his hurried effort triggered a chain of events that critics say violated House rules.

Schaaf and other opponents of the legislation sought to tack on amendments and prolong debate on the bill. But Cooper ultimately cut off discussion — an action that led to opponents leaving the room.

With only supporters present, the measure passed with five votes. Supporters of the measure say the vote is legitimate because a roll call was taken as the committee began deliberating bills.

"If the members aren't in the room to vote, it's the members' fault," said Rep. Jim Lembke, R-Lemay, the sponsor of the resolution.

Schaaf said he'll file an appeal to House leaders to send the bill back to committee for full debate and another vote.

Even if Tuesday's vote stands, the bill faces a steep uphill climb to passage. Lembke said House leaders have been reluctant for the bill to advance. Meanwhile, a similar measure has stalled in the Senate.

The bill is HJR11.

What kind on underhanded legislators are we electing?

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am so embarrassed to live

I am so embarrassed to live in Missouri!  This is one of the most underhanded bit of politics I have seen.  Below is a link listing the committee members including their e-mail:

http://www.house.mo.gov/bills071/commit/com170.htm

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a link to the

Here is a link to the Missouri Coalition for Lifesaving Cures:

http://www.missouricures.com/

They are the biggest advocacy group for stem cell research in Missouri. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I googled the MO House of

I googled the MO House of Representatives and the bill is not yet on the calendar to go before the House (too new).  

This issue went to the voters once and was passed in spite of vigorous opposition from religious groups.  The groups now asking for this resolution are claiming the ballot was confusing to the voters.  Let me tell you - I read the entire amendment prior to voting and it was in no way confusing and if the religious folks were confused then they have their own church leaders to blame because they were cramming information down their congregations throats every Sunday prior to the vote.  I remember all to well sitting through some of these services listening to the lies being told - hey, I'm curious and wanted to know what they were saying.   Not to mention the fact that it was impossible to drive 2 miles without seeing a billboard screaming with scare tactics.  The original amendment was quite clear on how this research is to be conducted and was also quite clear on prohibiting human cloning.

Guess that wasn't good enough for the religious right so they snuck behind the voter's backs and passed this bill.  This is just wrong! 

Obviously I will continue to monitor this but any feedback or advice on fighting this type of thing would be great!! 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not only am I embarrassed

Not only am I embarrassed to be from Missouri, I'm baffled that 50% constitutes a quorum.

I may be embarrassed, but not surprised.  The religious right will do anything to undermine this bill that was passed by the voters.  It doesn't matter what their constituants want, only what they personally want.

Ack! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
It disgusts me but, knowing

It disgusts me but, knowing polititions it should not suprise me. The whole vote while one of the members was absent is very underhanded and rather asshat-ish!

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonder if the proper retort

Wonder if the proper retort is to use the same trickery for a gay marriage amendment?

Don't worry-some of us Missourians still use our brains...

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Wonder

zarathustra wrote:

Wonder if the proper retort is to use the same trickery for a gay marriage amendment?

HHmmm.  Not a bad idea.

The only problem would be finding enough legislators in Missouri on the same committee that would support a gay marriage amendment. 

*heavy sigh* 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
YES!!!  This is great

YES!!!  This is great news!

No House vote on stem cell bill

JEFFERSON CITY — A House committee killed legislation Monday designed to
largely invalidate a new constitutional amendment protecting stem cell research.

The 3-4 vote by the House Rules Committee all but ends efforts this legislative
session to overturn Amendment 2, which 51 percent of voters approved in
November.

Opponents of Amendment 2 had wanted lawmakers to send a ballot measure to
voters in November 2008. The proposed amendment would have asked the public to
ban all forms of human cloning, including when the research is used solely to
produce embryonic stem cells. Voters specifically protected that form of
research by passing Amendment 2 last year.

The issue has been politically thorny for the Republican-led Legislature, with
GOP lawmakers bitterly divided on the ethics of embryonic stem cell research.
Those divisions have many lawmakers wanting to avoid the issue entirely.

"I'd say that a third (of House members) will be happy they don't have to vote
on this," said Shannon Cooper, R-Clinton.

Cooper, who serves as chairman of the House Rules Committee, said he voted
against the measure simply because he supports Amendment 2.

Opponents of embryonic stem cell research say they're frustrated the bill was
killed in a committee with only four votes. They say the measure has much
broader support among all House members.

"This is something that has every legitimate right to be debated on the House
floor," said Jaci Winship of Missourians Against Human Cloning.

Winship said she's now prepared to bypass the Legislature entirely to get the
issue before voters. Under the Missouri Constitution, proposed amendments can
either be brought to the ballot by lawmakers or by voter petition.

Winship said she had hoped to avoid the expense of collecting signatures. But
she said she has no doubt she can obtain them.

Cooper said he sees no way for the proposed amendment to clear the Legislature,
this year or any year. He said taking the matter to voters by petition is the
only way to bring about resolution.

"Let's get the signatures, put it on the ballot and see what happens," he said.

The bill is HJR11. A similar bill, SB10, is stalled in the Senate.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good find jce, this is good

Good find jce, this is good to hear!

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
The only amendment needed

The only amendment needed to the Missouri Constitution, and the U.S. Constitution, is one to require any one who wants to run for political office to have a full psychological evaluation preformed and the results posted for every one to see.

The voter turn out in this town & county in 2006 and this April (for mayor, only one person running, and local boards) is typical, so doubt it would pass.

1/3 of the registered voters voted. The number of registered voters is 1/2 the number of eligble voters. Who wins depends on their looks, speaking ability, and religious affiliation.

I forgot to include comments on the stem cell issue in my letter to the State Reps on their bill to reaffirm religious beliefs. It was on a survey they had sent around.

The religious keep pushing their bull, and they keep getting re-elected. Very sad situation.

"What the world needs is an enema." Jack Nicholson, "Batman"

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know how you feel (crazy

I know how you feel (crazy government and all), it's illegal to go whaling in Tenn.  I wonder if we had a big whaling problem in our completely landlocked state around the turn of the century...

No Gods, Know Peace.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: I know how

NinjaTux wrote:
I know how you feel (crazy government and all), it's illegal to go whaling in Tenn. I wonder if we had a big whaling problem in our completely landlocked state around the turn of the century...

Well, how do you keep the whale population under control?  You guys must be swimming in whales if it is illegal to hunt them! 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: NinjaTux

jce wrote:

NinjaTux wrote:
I know how you feel (crazy government and all), it's illegal to go whaling in Tenn. I wonder if we had a big whaling problem in our completely landlocked state around the turn of the century...

Well, how do you keep the whale population under control? You guys must be swimming in whales if it is illegal to hunt them!

Yeah, but it was still legal (last time I checked) to kill a person for stealing your horse, and to have sex with an animal with four legs that weighed over 350 lbs.....but on the other hand our constitution is a pretty good read.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Yeah, but

NinjaTux wrote:
Yeah, but it was still legal (last time I checked) to kill a person for stealing your horse, and to have sex with an animal with four legs that weighed over 350 lbs.....but on the other hand our constitution is a pretty good read....

Wow!  Thank goodness those things are still legal!  Too bad I am not attracted to animals with four legs that weigh over 350 lbs...really, I'm not although some dates I've had lately could fit that description.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: ...although

jce wrote:

...although some dates I've had lately could fit that description.

Well, if you ever decide to make the long drive to Nashvegas, I'll take you out for a night on the town.... I'm sure wishkah won't mind

No Gods, Know Peace.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Well, if

NinjaTux wrote:
Well, if you ever decide to make the long drive to Nashvegas, I'll take you out for a night on the town.... I'm sure wishkah won't mind

Awww...how lovely!  But as sweet as Wishkah is, I am pretty sure I'd be running back to MO fearing for my life...she could tell the court she thought I was trying to steal her horse (don't go there).  LOL

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:   Awww...how

jce wrote:

Awww...how lovely! But as sweet as Wishkah is, I am pretty sure I'd be running back to MO fearing for my life...she could tell the court she thought I was trying to steal her horse (don't go there). LOL

.......Laughing......not saying a word *chuckle*Chuckle*

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: jce

NinjaTux wrote:
jce wrote:

...although some dates I've had lately could fit that description.

Can I come too? 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:

BGH wrote:
Can I come too?

No. I suspect your motives. Then again, I suspect my own motives.

{edit for second thinking}  On the other hand, it would be fun except I am pretty sure one of us would not survive the drive if we are stuck together in the same car for that long. 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: BGH wrote: Can

jce wrote:

BGH wrote:
Can I come too?

{edit for second thinking} On the other hand, it would be fun except I am pretty sure one of us would not survive the drive if we are stuck together in the same car for that long.

Also makes it more interesting for me...Who will arrive, Who will DIE.....I could start a pool and make hella cash on that .... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: jce

NinjaTux wrote:
jce wrote:

BGH wrote:
Can I come too?

{edit for second thinking} On the other hand, it would be fun except I am pretty sure one of us would not survive the drive if we are stuck together in the same car for that long.

Also makes it more interesting for me...Who will arrive, Who will DIE.....I could start a pool and make hella cash on that ....

Will he make it out of the coma, does she know he cheated, where did all the money go.... all this will be answered in the next episode.... 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: NinjaTux

BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:
jce wrote:

BGH wrote:
Can I come too?

Will he make it out of the coma, does she know he cheated, where did all the money go.... all this will be answered in the next episode....

"Guiding Blight"?   

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: NinjaTux

BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:
jce wrote:

BGH wrote:
Can I come too?

Lives of the Hot and Faithless...

{by the way, Way to keep the thread on topic there Moderator...} 

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: {by the

NinjaTux wrote:

{by the way, Way to keep the thread on topic there Moderator...}

It is my thread and I will do as I damn well please... LOL. Kidding.

Okay so... back on topic.

Man our Missouri legislature sucks. Right? 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Okay so... back

BGH wrote:

Party pooper.

Yes, they suck.  I should read the entire MO constitution...bet there is some fun stuff on there and then we can de-rail this thread again! 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Party

jce wrote:

Party pooper.

Yes, they suck. I should read the entire MO constitution...bet there is some fun stuff on there and then we can de-rail this thread again!

I don't mind, de-rail all you want..

I was kidding. 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: jce

BGH wrote:
jce wrote:

Party pooper.

Yes, they suck. I should read the entire MO constitution...bet there is some fun stuff on there and then we can de-rail this thread again!

I was kidding.

Personally I like tangent threads better than the ones where they fascisticly (I can make up words shut up) keep you on topic.....

No Gods, Know Peace.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: BGH

NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:
jce wrote:

Party pooper.

I was kidding.

Personally I like tangent threads better than the ones where they fascisticly (I can make up words shut up) keep you on topic.....

Me too!  tee hee

(I'm adding fascisticly to the dictionary thread I am going to start.) 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: NinjaTux

jce wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:
jce wrote:

Party pooper.

I was kidding.

Me too! tee hee

(I'm adding fascisticly to the dictionary thread I am going to start.)

My background as a biology major gives me the ability to come up with some remarkably real sounding fake words.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: BGH wrote: Okay

jce wrote:
BGH wrote:

Party pooper.

Yea, party pooper. Where does one sign up for this road trip?? I was looking at Branson brochures today. Need to get out of town for a couple days. Am getting antsy. Spring Fever!! But, too many of their shows are xtian formats.

If you don't want insomia, don't read the Missouri Revised Statutes. They have not been revised since 1920. Mainly, Chapter 528, section 530 & 610, and all of Chapter 484, especially Sections 130 & 140. They are about probates and how much cut the lawyer and sheriff get. Will make you want to sign over everything you own to someone else before you die.

Georgia Legislature is not too bright either. News article today says the state school board is debating on how to start state-funded bible classes in high schools. Their legislature passed a bill last year to allow it and pay for it.

This is the story if you want to read it.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey A group of Atheists are

Hey A group of Atheists are having a Meetup This coming weekend in Nashville, I think that would be a good time for a road trip....not promising any accomodations though (kinda got a really small apartment, well wishkah does....I'm homeless).....

No Gods, Know Peace.

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Hey A group

NinjaTux wrote:
Hey A group of Atheists are having a Meetup This coming weekend in Nashville, I think that would be a good time for a road trip....not promising any accomodations though (kinda got a really small apartment, well wishkah does....I'm homeless).....

Would love to attend a Meetup to be around rational people for a short time. Have looked at other sites trying to locate fellow Atheist in this area with little success. Not sure how creditable the sites I found are.

Looks like Nashville, Branson, or any long drives are out of the question for a few weeks. Awaiting an appointment with a heart specialist to clear out a heart blockage. Not sure what it will entail. All that southern, bacon grease, deep fried food from my youth has slowly caught up with the arteries. The joys of being Over-the-Hill.

If you attend the Meetup, let us know what transpired.

- Don't RE-elect anyone - Paul Harvey (a theist unfortunately)

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubtingThomas

DoubtingThomas wrote:

Looks like Nashville, Branson, or any long drives are out of the question for a few weeks. Awaiting an appointment with a heart specialist to clear out a heart blockage. Not sure what it will entail. All that southern, bacon grease, deep fried food from my youth has slowly caught up with the arteries. The joys of being Over-the-Hill.

DoubtingThomas, good luck on your test (or whatever it is they're going to do to you).  I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forums when I wish you well and that your blockage is easy to fix.

Be well! 

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, Susan. I am not

Thanks, Susan. I am not nervous or concerned about it. Shortly after I made that post, the "you dumass. Giving too much info again." moment hit me. And not the place to post it. Didn't think to edit it out. Embarassed

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubtingThomas

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Thanks, Susan. I am not nervous or concerned about it. Shortly after I made that post, the "you dumass. Giving too much info again." moment hit me. And not the place to post it. Didn't think to edit it out. Embarassed

It is completely okay, I am sure I speak for many others here, we just hope your okay. You have been a great new addition here. 

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, BGH. The Doc said

Thanks, BGH. The Doc said on Tuesday that it was "repairable". Will not know what they will do, if any thing, until I see the specialist. Am not worried about it. I have a really laid-back attitude in these matters and it drives my relatives crazy. Last year, when they were getting ready to put me under to put a stent in the leg, I jokingly asked the doctor if he had washed his hands. He did not think it was funny.

Did McDonald's ever get the second Arch built in St.L??

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubtingThomas wrote: Did

DoubtingThomas wrote:

Did McDonald's ever get the second Arch built in St.L??

Har, har. LOL.

Actually that is the worls largest Croquet Wicket,,,, 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubtingThomas

DoubtingThomas wrote:

I'm glad you didn't edit it out.  Sounds like you have a great outlook about it and I hope all goes well.  We are going to have to figure out a central spot for all these KC/STL/TN (and anybody else I missed and want to come) to meet up.  Possibly arrange our own atheist meeting.

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Actually that

BGH wrote:

Actually that is the worls largest Croquet Wicket,,,,

Never heard it call that, but I left there in 1979. It does look like one.

In the years after the Arch was completed, a rumor went around town that McD's was going to build another one next to it, as a advertising gimmick. Some gullible people believed it.

Do you think we should make the Mo. Reps prove their faith by making them slide down the outside of the Arch? Who ever survives gets to stay in office. Losers have to move to Texas.

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: We are going to

jce wrote:

We are going to have to figure out a central spot for all these KC/STL/TN (and anybody else I missed and want to come) to meet up. Possibly arrange our own atheist meeting.

Great idea!! Maybe before winter. Pass the word and everyone come up with suggestions on where and when. You Mods will have to say how we can communicate our ideas. The forum does not seem to be the best place to do that. (I have not figured out how the "contact" and "write author" functions work.)

Columbia is almost center in the state, but very few recreational or tourist activities there.